Blind Melon

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Soup is a masterpiece. Never got into the selftitled album much. A few good tunes but Soup is unbelievable.

I think both are masterpieces, but Soup is the more interesting and creative album for sure. S/T is pretty poppy by comparison.
    Soup is "darker" but I wouldn't call anything on the first "poppy" ??? REM it ain't! (And I LOVE rem)
    You don't think that at least No Rain is?? There is a reason the worst song on that album was the biggest hit - because of its pop appeal! ;) Nothing else on S/T is close to that, but I do think the whole album has the same kind of pop-like vibe. It not actual pop; it's just pop-like compared to Soup.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Soup is a masterpiece. Never got into the selftitled album much. A few good tunes but Soup is unbelievable.

I think both are masterpieces, but Soup is the more interesting and creative album for sure. S/T is pretty poppy by comparison.
    Soup is "darker" but I wouldn't call anything on the first "poppy" ??? REM it ain't! (And I LOVE rem)
    You don't think that at least No Rain is??
    Yes, obviously. But I knew we all knew that. But to be fair, even no rain is in mixolydian and has a fair amount of Jam in it, which, imho, takes it out of the pop category.

Find me a Taylor Swift song in Mixolydian and maybe I'll reconsider. ;-)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
    edited October 2015
    jjflash said:

This thread got me jonesing for BM. Listened to Soup and Nico today and enjoyed them a little sumpin extra having beforehand watched some of the videos/interviews in the thread.

Amen. If YouTube existed back then I would have been a faster convert. (Although I was still playing the album in my preteens and LOVING "change" in 12th grade, it still never quite clicked till more recently, maybe because I've had more depressed feelings in later life to relate with?)

Hell, if I could have just seen the Mookie Blaylock shirt on Shannon, and heard his rabid praise for Pearl Jam I would have been head over heals from the get go. ;-)
    Post edited by DriftingByTheStorm on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,482

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes, obviously. But I knew we all knew that. But to be fair, even no rain is in mixolydian and has a fair amount of Jam in it, which, imho, takes it out of the pop category.

No Rain is the entire reason I made the mistake of dismissing this band until it was too late. Poppy as all hell.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• ^^^^
    That's interesting. The only reason I know Blind Melon and the impact of their songs, music etc is because I delved further into their music after hearing No Rain. I felt in my ears that there was more to them than that song. I am glad I made that call.
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Didn't say it was pop. Obviously Blind Melon is not pop music, lol. I just said that S/T is more pop-like than Soup in a relative sense. I don't know how else to put it. In any case, S/T is one my all time favorite albums. It's just more "poppy" than Soup. Not pop. ;) Both albums are absolute genius. With Soup even better than their first and then the work they released on Nico, I don't even want to consider what more albums would have been like - it hurts to think about.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

^^^^
    That's interesting. The only reason I know Blind Melon and the impact of their songs, music etc is because I delved further into their music after hearing No Rain. I felt in my ears that there was more to them than that song. I am glad I made that call.

A guy I jammed with at the time kept trying to convince me to cover No Rain. I thought he was out of his mind. again, i was way off. Inow appreciate that song having heard the rest of their music. That taught me to look at bands beyond the radio single.

www.headstonesband.com

edited October 2015
    I guess I bought the album because of No Rain, but as soon as I played it i realized immedoately that No Rain was in fact the worst song on the album... which was pretty fucking great news, since I really loved No Rain at the time, being a 16 or 17 year old girl.
    PJ_Soul said:

I guess I bought the album because of No Rain, but as soon as I played it i realized immedoately that No Rain was in fact the worst song on the album... which was pretty fucking great news, since I really loved No Rain at the time, being a 16 or 17 year old girl.

I was about 19, but I was still into metallica and megadeth while embracing pj and nirvana. So no rain, at the time, was total pop to my metal ears. Lol.

www.headstonesband.com

• PJ_Soul said:

I was about 19, but I was still into metallica and megadeth while embracing pj and nirvana. So no rain, at the time, was total pop to my metal ears. Lol.
    That's funny!
    Like a fist to the jaw I was wandering how this girl in a bee costume is getting almost equal listening time as Jeremy but I liked both.
  • Does anyone know if there is a vinyl version of "3 the magic number"?
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,922
    Just listened to Nico again and it struck me the final song BM leaves us w/, "Letters To A Porcupine", sadly ends abruptly and too soon just as Shannon did. As folks have previously stated, one can only wonder at the other music they could have created had he lived.
  • DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
    edited November 2015
    Was just looking for lyrics to this demo version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHktkruNt2E

That song appears on something Nell Hoon herself was given in a package of CDs from someone, and she decided to pass it on to the fans in '08:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PPHtdx8xzw

Alas, I could not find the lyrics (no one has transcribe them), but I did get a link to THIS:

MORE BLIND MELON LIVE CONCERT FILES THAN YOU CAN EVER IMAGINE
    (YES THEY EXIST, FREE, IN PUBLIC) !!!

YES FUCKING PLEASE ! ! !

PS - my best go at the lyrics. :P
    ALL THAT I NEED
    (Alternate Version, Demo, From Shannon to You and You and You [with love from Nell])
    ----------------------------------------------------------

All that you need to go from swimming to a freeze,
    is usually made of the things you don't need,
    and the enemies will swear another life is nothin' like me.

Mmm, shhhh! I hear something in the pantry.

Oh, if I was to smile, and I held out my hand, All
    that I could be now, would you not understand?
    You know if I'm to benefit, I'll do everything that I can.

Oh, I'm hearing something in the pantry.
    Oh yeah.
    I'm hearing something in the pantry. (x3)
    [sweet harmonica solo]

Oh glasses so thick, and eyesight so weak,
    that I reflect my own gloom make my heart begin to beat,
    I'm owe it for the moment, after that everything's free.

Oooh, shhhh! I'm hearin something in the pantry.
    I'm hearing something in the pantry. (x3)

Ooohhh ... de doo de doo doo ...

These are just the thoughts in my head.
    Maybe we'd be better off if we took it off, and painted it red.

I never smiled the way that I did today.
    Maybe it's the palms of my hand that are sweatin' me.
    Swearing that I will beleive everything they're telling me.
    I never smiled the way that I did today. Yeah.
    Everything, everything is gonna be okay. (x2)
    They're telling me that everything is gonna be okay.
    They're tellin me... (x3)
    They're telling me that everything is gonna be okay.
    It'll be okay (x2), It's gonna be okay (x2), okay.
    (that's fine enough)
    Post edited by DriftingByTheStorm on
    listening to Nico now. love it. this band makes me happy and sad all at once.

sappy, I guess you could say.

www.headstonesband.com

• RobbyD462RobbyD462 Posts: 4,808

listening to Nico now. love it. this band makes me happy and sad all at once.

sappy, I guess you could say.

Vinyl issue please!
    I was spinning Soup the other day.
    Love the Melon!!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• dudemandudeman Posts: 3,044
    I'd love another new album. I know, I know.....it's not the same without Shannon. That's true.

The rest of the band plays so well together I think it would be a shame if they stopped completely.

I thoroughly enjoyed "For My Friends".
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • jlj_swejlj_swe Posts: 175
    "For My Friends" is a brilliant album.

For me Blind Melon could easily be what AIC is for me; a fantastic band with the original singer and just as good with the new singer. Hell, I love their music!
    Stockholm 1992-02-07
    Stockholm 1992-06-25
    Stockholm 1995-08-12
    Stockholm 2000-06-28
    Lisbon 2010-07-10
    Stockholm 2012-07-07
    Stockholm 2014-06-28

https://artbyjoachim.wordpress.com/
    jlj_swe said:

For me Blind Melon could easily be what AIC is for me; a fantastic band with the original singer and just as good with the new singer. Hell, I love their music!

I just can't get into new AIC. new BM though. Love it.

www.headstonesband.com

I can't stand new Blind Melon.
    PJ_Soul said:

I thought you hadn't even listened to it?

www.headstonesband.com

PJ_Soul said:

No, I've listened to all of it (I think you're misremembering what I said). I just don't like it. It lacks passion IMO.
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

No, I've listened to all of it (I think you're misremembering what I said). I just don't like it. It lacks passion IMO.
    actually, I think I mixed you up with someone else who said they refuse to listen to it.

www.headstonesband.com

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

actually, I think I mixed you up with someone else who said they refuse to listen to it.
    I would never refuse to give something a listen - that's crazy!

jlj_swe said:

I just can't get into new AIC. new BM though. Love it.
    I like the new AIC material but DPDH has to be a go-to example of how not to produce a record. Great songs but the brick walled, over compressed finished product is painful to listen to.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,236
    For My Friends was a great record. Travis is talented for sure. When I saw them live in 08' I thought the seams between the new stuff & old stuff were tight. I wish they would put out an early live show. The one live CD they have is good, but I'd love a 92-93 show. Still in my top 3 favorite bands ever.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Yeah man. We saw them twice in '08. Both times they were awesome. Travis is certainly talented and, I feel, a good fit for the band.

The world would be a better place if there were more Blind Melon albums in it.
    Broke out For My Friends today. Wish they would have carried on with Travis.
    www.cluthelee.com

they still play together here and there. they had the one hiccup, but they are on good terms now. don't know about any new material, but they still play.

www.headstonesband.com

they still play together here and there. they had the one hiccup, but they are on good terms now. don't know about any new material, but they still play.
    Ah really? I stopped following after whatever that was.
    www.cluthelee.com

Ah really? I stopped following after whatever that was.
    Yeah, they make appearances still apparently (I don't care for Blind Melon without Hoon though). They have have a few shows booked this summer. They don't play much though. Just a smattering of shows every year. I have no clue what any of them do the rest of the time. I assume they all have jobs or play in other bands or something.