Options

Blind Melon

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Stone Temple Pilots. INXS. 10,000 Maniacs.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    LIVE
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

they are playing in calgary the same night of my cousin's wedding 30 km's away. saw them in 2008 at least.

Faaaaack. I have fourth row tickets to slash that night. Didn't know they were coming back to Calgary. Might have to sell the slash tickets and go....but then I've never seen slash play live either. I saw BM with Hoon (and PJ and NY) in 93 but missed out on my one chance to see the new lineup in Edmonton due to thinking I could get will call tickets at a bar (had t picked up my tix and ticketmaster was already closed). Idiot.

Personally, I have no problems with bands continuing with new members as long as the deceased wasn't the main songwriter. I don't think it's fair for bands like BM and AIC to have to start over touring in a van, or quit music altogether because their singers couldn't kick. I may be mistaken, but I believe BM used to skip songwriting credits and use the words ' Blind Melon is a band' instead.

And...I think no rain is a great song. It got totally killed by radio play, but it's got such a great vibe... helped that I was already hooked by the I Wonder vid, so the success of no rain probably wasn't as annoying for me as to someone who was introduced to them by that song.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    brianlux said:

Yeah, I've heard the reformed band is very good but I just can't imagine they're the same. Probably a name change would be in order. Any time a lead singer with a distinct voice dies or leaves a band it's best to change the name. Can anyone think of another example like this where the lead singer moves on but the name stays? Off hand, I can't.

Alice in Chains
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    brianlux said:

Yeah, I've heard the reformed band is very good but I just can't imagine they're the same. Probably a name change would be in order. Any time a lead singer with a distinct voice dies or leaves a band it's best to change the name. Can anyone think of another example like this where the lead singer moves on but the name stays? Off hand, I can't.

AC/DC
    Alice In Chains
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Iron Maiden
    Sublime tried but, were successfully sued
    Genesis
    Pink Floyd

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    One of the most underrated bands of all time. My guitar teacher when I was 14/15 had loved them for a long time, and gave me their entire discography upon hearing I liked "No Rain." I was blown away. What a band, Shannon Hoon had one of the most amazing voices, ever.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Shannon Hoon passed away 20 years ago today
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

they are playing in calgary the same night of my cousin's wedding 30 km's away. saw them in 2008 at least.

Faaaaack. I have fourth row tickets to slash that night. Didn't know they were coming back to Calgary. Might have to sell the slash tickets and go....but then I've never seen slash play live either. I saw BM with Hoon (and PJ and NY) in 93 but missed out on my one chance to see the new lineup in Edmonton due to thinking I could get will call tickets at a bar (had t picked up my tix and ticketmaster was already closed). Idiot.

Personally, I have no problems with bands continuing with new members as long as the deceased wasn't the main songwriter. I don't think it's fair for bands like BM and AIC to have to start over touring in a van, or quit music altogether because their singers couldn't kick. I may be mistaken, but I believe BM used to skip songwriting credits and use the words ' Blind Melon is a band' instead.

And...I think no rain is a great song. It got totally killed by radio play, but it's got such a great vibe... helped that I was already hooked by the I Wonder vid, so the success of no rain probably wasn't as annoying for me as to someone who was introduced to them by that song.
    So I ended up selling my slash tickets and getting tickets to the BM show in Calgary instead....after selling the Slash tix, I was informed that an acquaintance of mine (and close friend of a close friend) was touring with him as his bodyguard....I could have watched the show side stage with backstage passes....fack...
    Anyway...we get to BM a little late - they just got on stage. They're seated, playing acoustic....I then noticed there are only three people on stage: Chris, Glen, and Travis....wtf?
    Travis kept apologizing about it, saying that it didn't sound right with one guitar, and because BM doesnt write with traditional rhythm/lead parts, more like alternating lead exchanges, it was beyond him to fill in for Rogers....I was getting really annoyed, because it didn't sound great, and I spent a fair amount of money on gas, hotel, tickets, etc...had passed up the slash show in Edmonton, and had no idea the show would be performed as a 3 pc acoustic set. However....after some more banter between songs, it became apparent what happened: Brad Smith's brother Chris was killed in a car accident earlier that day, too late to cancel the show....so Rogers and Brad never made the trip to Calgary. Apparently Chris was deeply involved with the band around the time of the release of Soup?
    In the end, the show was still pretty entertaining, even if the songs don't all work as well acoustically, and without the interplay....
    They covered The One I Love and Jane Says (Travis totally f'd up Jane Says tho...got into the zone and just kept going lol....they pretty much played the song twice)...They asked if anyone in the crowd knew the rhythm part to Galaxie and a guy came up and played it with them - nailed it. It was a good time, but disappointing....totally understandable tho. Showed a lot of courage for the guys who showed up to make the trip and actually perform...I'm sure it was emotional for all of them. They've cancelled their australian tour as well.
  • Options
    wow, that's crazy. I had no idea why the cancelled the Oz dates. I assumed it was more problems getting along with Travis. I was in Calgary at the time for a wedding, and was considering skipping out of the reception early to see the show, but I didn't.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    today is Blind Melon day at work for me. Going to listen to them all day.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

wow, that's crazy. I had no idea why the cancelled the Oz dates. I assumed it was more problems getting along with Travis. I was in Calgary at the time for a wedding, and was considering skipping out of the reception early to see the show, but I didn't.

Gotta say, he does Shannon's parts exceptionally well. His voice is unreal.
  • Options

Gotta say, he does Shannon's parts exceptionally well. His voice is unreal.
    yeah, saw them on tour in 2008. I closed my eyes and thought it WAS Shannon.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    Really eh? I actually really notice the difference and not for the better. I think he voice sounds much more rough than Shannon's.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    I saw them twice with Travis. For me, I appreciate the similarities and differences between his voice and Shannon's. The band and Travis were on fire both times and I got to meet Nell Hoon, Shannon's mom, in Grand Rapids. Super cool woman!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,274
    Still can't get my head around the fact that it's been 20 years. I saw Blind Melon in August 95 at the Reading Festival, less than 2 months later Shannon was gone...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    I get the feeling from seeing all the recent melon love, and things like Soup getting voted #1 underrated album of the 90s, that Blind Melon is going to be the new Big Star. Woefully neglected in their time, but recognized for their greatness by all with ears in the future.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,274

I get the feeling from seeing all the recent melon love, and things like Soup getting voted #1 underrated album of the 90s, that Blind Melon is going to be the new Big Star. Woefully neglected in their time, but recognized for their greatness by all with ears in the future.

At the time part of me was glad that most people thought they were just a one hit wonder - the Dancing Bee Girl band. It meant they were my little secret, something I could hold onto that wasn't 'popular'. I needed Shannon's lyrics when I was a teenager far more than someone like Kurt, who I loved but couldn't relate to ('Walk' literally saved my life on more than one occasion).

Soup is a phenomenal record, I really hope they are recognised for what they did, and what Shannon was.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    yeah, i was one of those "bee girl" people. I dismissed them because of that song and how heavy it was rotated on radio, I just ended up hating it. It wasn't until years later that I "got them". too bad. I think they passed through my city once, and I missed the opportunity to see them with Shannon.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spun Soup last night.
    Fucking love that album!

• Options
    DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
    edited October 2015
    RobbyD462 said:

Spun Soup last night.
    Fucking love that album!

BUT WHY DID THEY LEAVE OFF THE TITLE TRACK!?!?!

http://youtu.be/mUxP6IBFD5E
  • Options

RobbyD462 said:

Spun Soup last night.
    Fucking love that album!

BUT WHY DID THEY LEAVE OFF THE TITLE TRACK!?!?!

http://youtu.be/mUxP6IBFD5E
    This is the best Blind Melon track.
    I've always wonder this as well
    It was talked about in the book A devil on one shoulder and a angel on the other by Greg Prato
    Good book check it out!

• Options

I think their "big" days are long gone - that ended when Shannon Hoon died. The current band can barely sell out large bars now in most places.
    I dunno.... from your comment they were apparently under-appreciated in their heyday. Perhaps that's true, although that is hard for me to relate to, because as a massive fan at the time, I felt like they were huge. They seemed to be everywhere, on the radio constantly, their shows created a buzz.... I guess it's all just a matter of perspective!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

I think their "big" days are long gone - that ended when Shannon Hoon died. The current band can barely sell out large bars now in most places.
    I dunno.... from your comment they were apparently under-appreciated in their heyday. Perhaps that's true, although that is hard for me to relate to, because as a massive fan at the time, I felt like they were huge. They seemed to be everywhere, on the radio constantly, their shows created a buzz.... I guess it's all just a matter of perspective!
    I think you misunderstand me. Maybe it was the Big Star reference that failed?

No Rain was huge. (But even then watch the Woodstock video and you see/hear he can't even get the crowd to sign along for shit, so)

But that's where it ended. They may have been "big" in certain circles of peeps that new what's what, but most seem to agree (and I recall) them being largely ignored otherwise. My take is that the alt-rock world was already inundated with high profile acts, and there were just too many other more easily digestible acts to allow room for BM. Also, like I said, the music is complex and Shannon has a high voice which off puts many people (think Janes Addiction).

Anyway. The Big Star reference was meant to imply NOT that they would be hugely successful commercially ever again, but that like Big Star (and maybe they velvet Underground) that their perceived worth as immortal artists will continue to rise over the years as people dig through the music of yore and realize that in fact (like with Big Star) that BM wrote and recorded some of the most heartfelt and beautiful songs of rock history.

Here is s good/shitty gauge of their perceived value at the time:
    http://youtu.be/rNJZNZ0hHQY

Watch the slander from Ricky. I get that they were "friends" and maybe he was ragging in jest but he places them flatly at the bottom of artists regarding popularity. Douchery.
    Post edited by DriftingByTheStorm on
  • Options
    RobbyD462 said:

This is the best Blind Melon track.
    I've always wonder this as well
    It was talked about in the book A devil on one shoulder and a angel on the other by Greg Prato
    Good book check it out!

Thank you! I will! I was hoping some one could point me to an answer. I'm glad it's on Nico but don't understand who made the decision to pull it from Soup and why! It's fucking beautiful.

Change / walk / soup = tears
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Soup is a masterpiece. Never got into the selftitled album much. A few good tunes but Soup is unbelievable.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Soup is a masterpiece. Never got into the selftitled album much. A few good tunes but Soup is unbelievable.

You need to relisten then.

Holyman
    sleepyhouse
    Change
    Time
    I wonder
    Tones of home
    Drive

All 100% classic. (Time & I Wonder!!!)
    I mean they all are, but each of those is rock solid. And most of them goddamn impossible to play on guitar :-/ :-/ :-/

I always thought Soup was slightly weaker, personally. But the songs on soup are definitely tighter, and more alt-rock than BM which is far more jammy and "loose". And like they say on the Porcupine film, they definitely had more money to throw at production.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

I think both are masterpieces, but Soup is the more interesting and creative album for sure. S/T is pretty poppy by comparison.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

I think both are masterpieces, but Soup is the more interesting and creative album for sure. S/T is pretty poppy by comparison.
    Soup is "darker" but I wouldn't call anything on the first "poppy" ??? REM it ain't! (And I LOVE rem)
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,835
    This thread got me jonesing for BM. Listened to Soup and Nico today and enjoyed them a little sumpin extra having beforehand watched some of the videos/interviews in the thread.