Options

The Official 2024 TOUR Thread

Comments

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,924
    Well things sure got interesting yesterday. Like a whole new level of excitement for the dates.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,515
    MM70435 said:
    SHZA said:
    BF25394 said:
    The Bulls never won anything without Krause, before and after him.  Rebuilding since 1998
    I'm not here to cast aspersions on Jerry Krause, who deserves his share of credit for the success that occurred on his watch, but this statement is also true if you substitute "Jordan" for "Krause."
    Or Pippen. Or Phil.

But Jordan was going to win championships no matter who was running the team. (Though maybe not 6 straight in the years he played). It's far less certain Krause would have won any without MJ 
    The Bulls did not win 6 straight in the years Jordan played.  He was on the floor when Orlando beat them in 6 games in 95.  People sometimes think that does not count because he was rusty due to the layoff.  He was still good enough to score 55 against the Knicks at MSG that same year.  That 95 Bulls team that lost with Jordan on the floor was a little soft down low.  That team was post Horace Grant and pre Dennis Rodman.  They had no answer for Shaq without either one of those guys.  Grant was actually on the Orlando team that beat the Bulls with Jordan on the floor.
    I know, but that wasn't really the point. Anyway, I wouldn't say that year doesn't count but I don't think you can say the layoff wasn't a factor. Despite the double nickel at MSG, Jordan's scoring and FG percentage were significantly below his typical career numbers. But even with the rust, the Bulls went 13-4 with Jordan back in the lineup after going 34-31 without him. So if he plays the whole year, they would have been higher than 5th in the east, which changes the complexion of the playoffs. With home court and MJ hitting on all cylinders maybe they beat Orlando even without Rodman. Who knows . . .  
  • Options
    edited January 16
    deb1211 said:
    Zod said:
    SHZA said:
    steven87 said:
    I’m considering doing the Vancouver shows (assuming the dates are correct), but I’m a little concerned about a last-minute date change due to the NHL playoffs. Anyone have any thoughts/insight on this?
    That's been known to happen. Playoffs usually take priority. A recent example is GnR having to move their show from the Diamondbacks stadium last fall. 

Three straight days off at a venue during the playoffs isn't unlikely because they will have away games for part of each series. But whether they'd be home or away on certain dates depends on seedlings and when each series starts which is tough to predict at this point. 

This occurred to me about the Vancouver dates too.   They must be banking on the 'nucks sucking again, but they do have a decent regular season record thus far.  How deep in the playoffs do you need to got to make it to early may?  2nd round?

Unless the shows are at the pacific coliseum, which would kind of suck.  Rogers Arena is a really good concert arena, there's a reason they replace the coliseum :)
    Second round is about right. Nhl season ends April 18. Vancouver is best team in league right now. They would have to have a pretty good collapse to not make playoffs at this point. Kraken are fighting for a playoff spot but until yesterday had been rolling.

Last year the regular season ended on April 14. The first round started on April 17 with game 7s (if necessary) on April 30 or May 1.  1. https://www.nhl.com/news/2023-stanley-cup-playoffs-first-round-schedule-343562642. The second round then began on May 2 and 3. https://www.nhl.com/news/games-1-2-stanley-cup-playoffs-2nd-round-344050944.

If the Canucks keep rolling and win the division they'd be home if there's a game 7 in round 1 and for the first two games of round 2. Since the regular season ends on April 18 this year, adding four days to last year's playoff schedule would put a game 7 on May 4 or 5, game 1 of round 2 on May 6 or 7. So it certainly looks like a conflict is possible (though not inevitable). 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,330
    SHZA said:
    deb1211 said:
    Zod said:
    SHZA said:
    steven87 said:
    I’m considering doing the Vancouver shows (assuming the dates are correct), but I’m a little concerned about a last-minute date change due to the NHL playoffs. Anyone have any thoughts/insight on this?
    That's been known to happen. Playoffs usually take priority. A recent example is GnR having to move their show from the Diamondbacks stadium last fall. 

Three straight days off at a venue during the playoffs isn't unlikely because they will have away games for part of each series. But whether they'd be home or away on certain dates depends on seedlings and when each series starts which is tough to predict at this point. 

This occurred to me about the Vancouver dates too.   They must be banking on the 'nucks sucking again, but they do have a decent regular season record thus far.  How deep in the playoffs do you need to got to make it to early may?  2nd round?

Unless the shows are at the pacific coliseum, which would kind of suck.  Rogers Arena is a really good concert arena, there's a reason they replace the coliseum :)
    Second round is about right. Nhl season ends April 18. Vancouver is best team in league right now. They would have to have a pretty good collapse to not make playoffs at this point. Kraken are fighting for a playoff spot but until yesterday had been rolling.

Last year the regular season ended on April 14. The first round started on April 17 with game 7s (if necessary) on April 30 or May 1.  1. https://www.nhl.com/news/2023-stanley-cup-playoffs-first-round-schedule-343562642. The second round then began on May 2 and 3. https://www.nhl.com/news/games-1-2-stanley-cup-playoffs-2nd-round-344050944.

If the Canucks keep rolling and win the division they'd be home if there's a game 7 in round 1 and for the first two games of round 2. Since the regular season ends on April 18 this year, adding four days to last year's playoff schedule would put a game 7 on May 4 or 5, game 1 of round 2 on May 6 or 7. So it certainly looks like a conflict is possible. 

Interesting. Appreciate the insight. I’m guessing (hoping) if a conflict were to occur, the show(s) would only be moved by a day or two. Decisions, decisions …
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 2,025
    Page 200!!!

whats the prize?  =)
  • Options
    woolymanwoolyman Posts: 53
    steven87 said:
    SHZA said:
    deb1211 said:
    Zod said:
    SHZA said:
    steven87 said:

If the Canucks keep rolling and win the division they'd be home if there's a game 7 in round 1 and for the first two games of round 2. Since the regular season ends on April 18 this year, adding four days to last year's playoff schedule would put a game 7 on May 4 or 5, game 1 of round 2 on May 6 or 7. So it certainly looks like a conflict is possible. 

Interesting. Appreciate the insight. I’m guessing (hoping) if a conflict were to occur, the show(s) would only be moved by a day or two. Decisions, decisions …
    Very interesting... if round 1 doesn't go to a game 7, does this remove any potential conflict?  Also, based upon your work, the NHL could do a May 5 or May 7 in your scenario... which would also not conflict, although a May 5 would be torture for stage take down/setup...etc.  These are the shows I would be blessed to see... and travel to (a distance).......  hopefully they are waiting longer / taking their time to help ensure no conflict.
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,468
    just_one said:
    Page 200!!!

whats the prize?  =)
    Page 201 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    woolyman said:
    steven87 said:
    SHZA said:
    deb1211 said:
    Zod said:
    SHZA said:
    steven87 said:

Very interesting... if round 1 doesn't go to a game 7, does this remove any potential conflict?  Also, based upon your work, the NHL could do a May 5 or May 7 in your scenario... which would also not conflict, although a May 5 would be torture for stage take down/setup...etc.  These are the shows I would be blessed to see... and travel to (a distance).......  hopefully they are waiting longer / taking their time to help ensure no conflict.
    I’m also planning on traveling a long distance to see these shows (from NJ), so it wouldn’t be ideal if there was a last minute conflict and I had to change the dates of my trip. Based on the above though, I don’t think round 1 not going to a game 7 would remove any potential conflict because presumably all of the round 2 matchups will begin on or around the same date, regardless of when each 1st round matchup finishes up (e.g., some matchups may finish up in 4-5 games, while others proceed to 6-7 games). I’m sure the band/promoter must be aware of this possibility though, so let’s see what happens when the dates come out. 
  • Options
    woolyman said:
    steven87 said:
    SHZA said:
    deb1211 said:
    Zod said:
    SHZA said:
    steven87 said:

If there is no game 7, that would certainly reduce the chance of a conflict, assuming my guess about the playoff schedule is accurate. And most first round series don't go 7. But we might not know until a few days before when the series ends.   
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    woolyman said:
    steven87 said:
    SHZA said:
    deb1211 said:
    Zod said:
    SHZA said:
    steven87 said:

If there is no game 7, that would certainly reduce the chance of a conflict, assuming my guess about the playoff schedule is accurate. And most first round series don't go 7. But we might not know until a few days before when the series ends.   
    Come to Toronto! Raptors aren’t a playoff team and Leafs have won one round in 20 years.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Options
    njhaley1njhaley1 Valley of the Sun Posts: 305
    steven87 said:
     I’m sure the band/promoter must be aware of this possibility though, so let’s see what happens when the dates come out. 
    I'm assuming there's some pretty detailed work being done by the NHL to get all of this sorted out - mostly for TV scheduling, but they're trying to work PJ through any potential conflicts ahead of time.  

Fingers crossed for even one late May Seattle show. 
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    woolyman said:
    steven87 said:
    SHZA said:
    deb1211 said:
    Zod said:
    SHZA said:
    steven87 said:

Come to Toronto! Raptors aren’t a playoff team and Leafs have won one round in 20 years.  
    I second this motion counselor. I’ve always wanted to visit Toronto, but have never been. And I’ve heard great things. Plus, it’s drivable for me. 
  • Options
    MM70435MM70435 Posts: 263
    SHZA said:
    MM70435 said:
    SHZA said:
    BF25394 said:
    The Bulls never won anything without Krause, before and after him.  Rebuilding since 1998
    I'm not here to cast aspersions on Jerry Krause, who deserves his share of credit for the success that occurred on his watch, but this statement is also true if you substitute "Jordan" for "Krause."
    Or Pippen. Or Phil.

But Jordan was going to win championships no matter who was running the team. (Though maybe not 6 straight in the years he played). It's far less certain Krause would have won any without MJ 
    The Bulls did not win 6 straight in the years Jordan played.  He was on the floor when Orlando beat them in 6 games in 95.  People sometimes think that does not count because he was rusty due to the layoff.  He was still good enough to score 55 against the Knicks at MSG that same year.  That 95 Bulls team that lost with Jordan on the floor was a little soft down low.  That team was post Horace Grant and pre Dennis Rodman.  They had no answer for Shaq without either one of those guys.  Grant was actually on the Orlando team that beat the Bulls with Jordan on the floor.
    I know, but that wasn't really the point. Anyway, I wouldn't say that year doesn't count but I don't think you can say the layoff wasn't a factor. Despite the double nickel at MSG, Jordan's scoring and FG percentage were significantly below his typical career numbers. But even with the rust, the Bulls went 13-4 with Jordan back in the lineup after going 34-31 without him. So if he plays the whole year, they would have been higher than 5th in the east, which changes the complexion of the playoffs. With home court and MJ hitting on all cylinders maybe they beat Orlando even without Rodman. Who knows . . .  
    Well said and you definitely know your stuff.  Also championships 6 out 7 years with him on the floor is beyond remarkable.  IMO Jordan is the all time GOAT in sports.  Not just basketball.

Also, in defense of Bulls management back then the 93-94 Bulls showed they were a really good collection of players even without Jordan.  They won 55 games and were a controversial "phantom foul" away from likely beating the Knicks again in the playoffs.
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 -  Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,896
    njhaley1 said:
    steven87 said:
     I’m sure the band/promoter must be aware of this possibility though, so let’s see what happens when the dates come out. 
    I'm assuming there's some pretty detailed work being done by the NHL to get all of this sorted out - mostly for TV scheduling, but they're trying to work PJ through any potential conflicts ahead of time.  

I have nothing concrete to back this up, but I think the NHL (and NBA, when applicable) schedule the playoff games as needed. Of course, I'm sure they ask arenas not to block off entire weeks for shows/events, but if Pearl Jam books a date in May and that falls in the middle of a playoff series, the series works around the concert.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,896
    So, the consensus is that there will be some ballpark shows, right? What are people's thoughts on the recent trend of shorter shows with a stripped-down five songs to start. Do they continue that trend, or do they try to do something bigger for those shows?
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    mpedone said:
    So, the consensus is that there will be some ballpark shows, right? What are people's thoughts on the recent trend of shorter shows with a stripped-down five songs to start. Do they continue that trend, or do they try to do something bigger for those shows?
    Great question.  A 30+ song set would be a great feature of a ballpark show to offset the ballparkness.  

• Options
    mpedone said:
    njhaley1 said:
    steven87 said:

I have nothing concrete to back this up, but I think the NHL (and NBA, when applicable) schedule the playoff games as needed. Of course, I'm sure they ask arenas not to block off entire weeks for shows/events, but if Pearl Jam books a date in May and that falls in the middle of a playoff series, the series works around the concert.
    I'm sure the leagues try to be as flexible as possible, but at some point modifying the schedule impacts competitive integrity or compromises the overall playoff schedule. It wouldn't work to give one series a three-day break to accommodate Pearl Jam while the rest proceed as scheduled. Last year Janet Jackson had back-to-back nights at MSG scheduled and they changed the date of the second show from May 10 to May 8 because Knicks-Heat game 5 was May 10. https://www.msg.com/calendar/madison-square-garden-may-2023-janet-jackson#about-the-event Maybe having the off day between PJ shows makes it a non issue. 
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 627
    SHZA said:
    mpedone said:
    njhaley1 said:
    steven87 said:

I'm sure the leagues try to be as flexible as possible, but at some point modifying the schedule impacts competitive integrity or compromises the overall playoff schedule. It wouldn't work to give one series a three-day break to accommodate Pearl Jam while the rest proceed as scheduled. Last year Janet Jackson had back-to-back nights at MSG scheduled and they changed the date of the second show from May 10 to May 8 because Knicks-Heat game 5 was May 10. https://www.msg.com/calendar/madison-square-garden-may-2023-janet-jackson#about-the-event Maybe having the off day between PJ shows makes it a non issue. 
    Off day between PJ shows should make situations where there is just one home playoff team a non-issue.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    It would be nice if Pearl Jam planned something like this.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    mpedone said:
    njhaley1 said:
    steven87 said:

Off day between PJ shows should make situations where there is just one home playoff team a non-issue.
    Well the Vancouver Grizzlies moved to Memphis a long time ago.  

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,410
    mcgruff10 said:
    It would be nice if Pearl Jam planned something like this.  
    I much prefer traditional headline shows. PJ20 was a fun one-off but all set on that unless they want to hold it in Boston.
  • Options
    I think it's all situational pertaining to the NHL and NBA playoffs. I know that PJ had to move a show in Toronto because of the Raptors playoff game, I think it was game 6 or 7. But I also know the Knicks and Rangers have scheduled their playoff games around a Billy Joel concert.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    mpedone said:
    Great question.  A 30+ song set would be a great feature of a ballpark show to offset the ballparkness.  
    I don’t believe the 30+ is ever coming back. It was clearly not a popular decision with the fanbase, and as soon as they play even one long one again the questions start back up. I think it’s gone for good.
    if they wanted to prove me wrong though I have a Indy ticket and we’re thinking about Philly
  • Options
    runstaplesrunstaples NC/WY Posts: 284
    2013 Charlotte was incredible, I think they played 32 songs.
    Appeared to be an animal, yet so polite.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    Damn this thread is all over the map 😂
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,890
    Damn this thread is all over the map 😂

but not The South
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,396
    kmcmanus said:
    mpedone said:
    I don’t believe the 30+ is ever coming back. It was clearly not a popular decision with the fanbase, and as soon as they play even one long one again the questions start back up. I think it’s gone for good.
    if they wanted to prove me wrong though I have a Indy ticket and we’re thinking about Philly
    Yah, that was always going to be the impact of going to the 3 hour+ barn burners at every show, at some point (most likely due to age) they would have to dial it back at some point.

I'm glad we got that era, I really enjoyed the shows I saw in '13, '16 and '18.   I'm a little bummed it's most likely over, but I understand not everyone in the band ages at the same pace, so they need to do to insure all 5 to 7 members can keep touring (I'd rather they play 2 to 2.5 hour shows, then no shows, it's still an amazing couple of hours).  
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996
    Go out with a bang at Fenway. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,180
    Zod said:
    kmcmanus said:
    mpedone said:
    Yah, that was always going to be the impact of going to the 3 hour+ barn burners at every show, at some point (most likely due to age) they would have to dial it back at some point.

I'm glad we got that era, I really enjoyed the shows I saw in '13, '16 and '18.   I'm a little bummed it's most likely over, but I understand not everyone in the band ages at the same pace, so they need to do to insure all 5 to 7 members can keep touring (I'd rather they play 2 to 2.5 hour shows, then no shows, it's still an amazing couple of hours).  
    tbh i prefer the 2 night stands with vastly different setlists. More room for actual flexibility
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,278
    Zod said:
    kmcmanus said:
    mpedone said:

tbh i prefer the 2 night stands with vastly different setlists. More room for actual flexibility
    Having only 1 repeat between 2 shows in Austin was fabulous 
This discussion has been closed.