Options

PLEDGE CONTROVERSY in School

124»

Comments

• Options
    aerial wrote:
    You look up to and quote Emma Goldman who was involved in an attempted murder . . . yet you put down a teacher for trying to keep order in her class. She is there to teach and the pledge and patriotism is one thing the school teaches . . . Funny how some on here have a problem with learning patriotism and the pledge in school . . . but have no problem with the school teaching sex to kids ... . . can you guys see why maybe the kids are so screwed up these days?

Except that teacher did nothing, NOTHING at all to teach her students about patriotism.

g under p wrote:
    If you think that's such a bright idea humilliating a 13 year old teenager well you won't have a job for very long. Do you love being a bully to a teenager?

I used to teach some years ago and if in the same situation I would NEVER had berated the child at all especially in front of the class. You'll lose your classroom in the end and you have an obligation to ALL of your students. As a teacher the last thing you want is to lose the focus as to why you are there and that is to teach.

I would speak to that child one on one after class to find out why she chose to not stand during the pledge. Why was she so uncomfortable to do so? Then depending on what she said I would take that information and speak to the parents. Then later one of the measures I would consider to write a paper about why do we say the pledge and what does it mean to you. instead of making a controversy out of this through humiliation use it to be a learning process.

peace

The above is how a teacher should have handled the situation. It would've been the perfect chance to capitalize on something to teach the students much like g under p said he would do it. g under p, you seem like you were a fucking awesome teacher because your tactics actually seem to be to teach.
  • Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    The parents should be teaching their children how to show respect . If there is a problem then the adults will take care of it..........
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    "learning" Patriotism. lol

It shouldn't be learned. It should be earned.
  • Options
    Saying the Pledge of Allegiance and singing the National Anthem is showing your support for your country....just as they do in school at games and they wear the school colors...maybe have a school song they sing.....It’s all a learning process kids need
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    aerial wrote:
    Funny how some on here have a problem with learning patriotism and the pledge in school . . . but have no problem with the school teaching sex to kids

:roll:
    can you guys see why maybe the kids are so screwed up these days?

The pledge and sex ed have absolutely nothing to do with why kids are so screwed up these days.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    aerial wrote:
    this teacher was way over the line in this situation...she could have handled that in a much more adult and much more professional manner...she should be suspended, and if it was my child i would not sue, initially i would demand her resignation, and if she does not give it to me i would contact an attorney and i would not relent until i had satisfaction...which for me would be a sincere apology to my daughter from the teacher, the principal, and the school board that will allow that teacher to stay employed...it is not the responsibility of the teacher to discipline someone else's child and it is not her responsibility to berate and embarrass her in front of her peers...

i think pledging allegiance is an antiquated way of trying to indoctrinate the kids...if this were my daughter i would respect her decision and defend her and that is final. what parent would not? patriotism is overrated, and it says nothing of your character. did you ever notice that the people that claim to be the biggest patriots tend to be a little dim-witted?? why blindly pledge allegiance to something that is as intangible as a country or government, or a god?? when you "pledge allegiance to the flag" you pledge allegiance to everything that flag represents both good and bad, and i will not forsake my principles by pledging allegiance to something that has done so many questionable things the last 10 years, from needless wars to human rights abuses, to allowing the corporate abuses and destruction of our environment. i can't go along with it...i just can't...

during the pledge i stand, but i no longer place my hand over my heart, nor do i say the words. its just my choice. same way with the anthem. to me nationalism is a fucking stupid and divisive thing. please refer to my signature for further evidence of my thoughts on patriotism and nationalism...i personally don't give a shit if people stand or sit during the pledge, i don't care if they take their hats off during the anthem or sit down...none of it matters to me. it has no bearing on my life. if people are going to get all worked up over what people do during the pledge or anthem then they have way too much time on their hands. i find it very funny that people will get all upset and tell people like me to leave the country...as if they have some sort of superpatriot superpower that can actually make me leave...some people just need to chill....
    You look up to and quote Emma Goldman who was involved in an attempted murder . . . yet you put down a teacher for trying to keep order in her class. She is there to teach and the pledge and patriotism is one thing the school teaches . . . Funny how some on here have a problem with learning patriotism and the pledge in school . . . but have no problem with the school teaching sex to kids ... . . can you guys see why maybe the kids are so screwed up these days?
    i do not look up to emma goldman, i agree with her views on several topics, most notably patriotism, but that does not mean that i look up to her. i directed people's attention to the sig because i was too lazy to type a long drawn out explanation and her quote summed it up nicely for me...

i put down the teacher for ridiculing the child that chose to sit down. that is a big difference aerial. did you see the pile-on from her peers that ensued??? that teacher was not trying to keep order and you know it...she is not there to teach patriotism, she is there to teach them some stupid sentence that could just as easily be taught at home, like the lord's prayer or something.. to me the pledge is a waste of time and only serves to indoctrinate the kids. weren't you all up in arms that obama was going to give the kids a pep talk??

i am all in favor of teaching sex education in school..it is part of biology and if it is not being taught at home it needs to be taught somewhere...

i hardly think that teaching patriotism and not teaching sex ed in school would make kids any less screwed up....patriotism is less important than sex education and the emphasis in school should reflect that...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    The world isn't like when us older folks went to school. It's a PC world. By all means that student had a right to sit it out if she wanted. Some how an adult educator berates and belittles the very people she or he is responsible for educating and molding for social integration? Mind you, teachers don't have it fucking easy at all. They take on way more responsibility than any one person in a public education system should but there is just no excuse for it today. When I was a kid they would have swatted the snot out of that girl. And I remember hating school for it's oppressive and abusive ways. These kids have been granted realistic rights without others imposing there personal opinion and beliefs on them and they are treated like this by an adult.

Part of me says this kid and kids in general are treated to softly but another part of me says that they deserve the civilized structure and environment that someone my age was not allowed. :roll: Educating in morals and a sense of national pride is not wrong but an educator has a right to treat there students with respect and honor there more than acceptable right to not be forced to observe something against there personal beliefs. I am 50/50 on this one though in the end. I see it on both sides.
  • Options
    aerial wrote:
    this teacher was way over the line in this situation...she could have handled that in a much more adult and much more professional manner...she should be suspended, and if it was my child i would not sue, initially i would demand her resignation, and if she does not give it to me i would contact an attorney and i would not relent until i had satisfaction...which for me would be a sincere apology to my daughter from the teacher, the principal, and the school board that will allow that teacher to stay employed...it is not the responsibility of the teacher to discipline someone else's child and it is not her responsibility to berate and embarrass her in front of her peers...

i think pledging allegiance is an antiquated way of trying to indoctrinate the kids...if this were my daughter i would respect her decision and defend her and that is final. what parent would not? patriotism is overrated, and it says nothing of your character. did you ever notice that the people that claim to be the biggest patriots tend to be a little dim-witted?? why blindly pledge allegiance to something that is as intangible as a country or government, or a god?? when you "pledge allegiance to the flag" you pledge allegiance to everything that flag represents both good and bad, and i will not forsake my principles by pledging allegiance to something that has done so many questionable things the last 10 years, from needless wars to human rights abuses, to allowing the corporate abuses and destruction of our environment. i can't go along with it...i just can't...

during the pledge i stand, but i no longer place my hand over my heart, nor do i say the words. its just my choice. same way with the anthem. to me nationalism is a fucking stupid and divisive thing. please refer to my signature for further evidence of my thoughts on patriotism and nationalism...i personally don't give a shit if people stand or sit during the pledge, i don't care if they take their hats off during the anthem or sit down...none of it matters to me. it has no bearing on my life. if people are going to get all worked up over what people do during the pledge or anthem then they have way too much time on their hands. i find it very funny that people will get all upset and tell people like me to leave the country...as if they have some sort of superpatriot superpower that can actually make me leave...some people just need to chill....
    i do not look up to emma goldman, i agree with her views on several topics, most notably patriotism, but that does not mean that i look up to her. i directed people's attention to the sig because i was too lazy to type a long drawn out explanation and her quote summed it up nicely for me...

i put down the teacher for ridiculing the child that chose to sit down. that is a big difference aerial. did you see the pile-on from her peers that ensued??? that teacher was not trying to keep order and you know it...she is not there to teach patriotism, she is there to teach them some stupid sentence that could just as easily be taught at home, like the lord's prayer or something.. to me the pledge is a waste of time and only serves to indoctrinate the kids. weren't you all up in arms that obama was going to give the kids a pep talk??

i am all in favor of teaching sex education in school..it is part of biology and if it is not being taught at home it needs to be taught somewhere...

i hardly think that teaching patriotism and not teaching sex ed in school would make kids any less screwed up....patriotism is less important than sex education and the emphasis in school should reflect that...
    That’s is my point...Sex is okay...Patriotism is bad........that’s how a 13 year old will see it
    “go ahead and take that sex class Susie, but I better not catch you in History”!
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    aerial wrote:
    That’s is my point...Sex is okay...Patriotism is bad........that’s how a 13 year old will see it
    “go ahead and take that sex class Susie, but I better not catch you in History”!

you really know how to be dramatic....

now we are not teaching history?

you're all over the place man
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,162
    aerial wrote:

no, sex is a part of biology and is necessary to be learned in school so the kids can get accurate info about pregnancy, stds, birth control, and most importantly the biology and physiology of it. a parent saying "sex is bad, don't do it" is not teaching them a damn thing, so they have to learn it somewhere, and learning it in school is better than learning it from their dumbass know-nothing teenage friends...

patriotism is not bad, but the idea of thinking that your country is heaps better than all the rest of the countries is a dangerous thing. and it is arrogant...patriotism is also NOT history, it is an overinflated sense of pride in the country that you happen to have been fortunate or unfortunate enough to be born into...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Smellyman wrote:
    aerial wrote:

you really know how to be dramatic....

now we are not teaching history?

you're all over the place man

That's her method and style deflection from the subject at hand. With the signature she has I can see why she has the perspective she has on this small controversy that has been blown out of proportions.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    aerial wrote:
    Saying the Pledge of Allegiance and singing the National Anthem is showing your support for your country....just as they do in school at games and they wear the school colors...maybe have a school song they sing.....It’s all a learning process kids need

Why do they 'need' it?
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,546
    Three Indigenous Albertans refuse to pledge allegiance to the king so they can become lawyers.

I believe a Saskatchewan Sikh has already won the privilege not to pledge allegiance based on freedom of religion.