Elon Musk

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    nicknyr15 said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly is my new favourite term for "fucking exploded". 
    It's a hilarious euphemism. Even the SpaceX announcers can't seem to help but smile when they say it.

In terms of the success/failure of this attempt, there's a huge amount of good data to be learned from this. The sad part of all this is that it's likely the reliability of the engines which caused the failure; they didn't have enough lift to make it past Max Q. I can't imagine this delaying things less than 1-2 more test articles - multiple months, multiple millions.
    absolutely it's actually more of a success than a failure. But imagine if Elon wasn't an idol for the right at the moment; all these conservatives would be laughing their asses off at this RUD. they're too stupid for words. 
    Oh, I agree with you, Hugh. My understanding was the mission goal was successful launch (i.e. clearing the tower), nothing more. I'm more speaking to people looking at a test and expecting real launch results and how silly that is. They'd call it a launch, not a test, if that were the case.
    so basically if it didn't fall over and explode on the ground it was considered a successful launch then.

by that goal, i got out of bed successfully today.
    Well, assuming you launched your way out of bed by farting with the power of 33 rocket engines and your custom-made flame-proof bed remained intact. That said, with that kind of fart, I don't know if the same would be said for your butt. All jokes aside, they refer to the launch tower/apparatus as Stage 0. This was as much a test of Stage 0 as it was the next-gen Starship rockets.

😂😂 best GIF ever. Love  Dave 
    Mud butt. 
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    brianlux said:
    I don't know who's applauding it, Brian. merely stating that in the eyes of those on the project wouldn't view this as a failure just because it blew up. 

I personally think that past space exploration was definitely a net positive, with all the data and inventions that never would have existed without it, but I don't see the point in trying to colonize Mars, or whatever the hell he's trying to do. who the hell wants to live there. 
    Perhaps "applauding" was a overstatement.  I just don't see how a big rocket getting off the ground and then blowing up is anything but a failure, especially with regard to the other things I mentioned.

OK, I've said my little thing so I'll leave it at that.   I don't want to offend or argue with anyone on this.  Is just me and my silly love of life and the well being of the planet.

All you've written here is fair and valid, Brian. 

I can only share my perspective here (as an unapologetic space nerd), but I'll preface this with the fact that we're likely starting from different mindsets - mine is that a long-term-habitable Earth is unlikely at best at current trajectories. If you start with that frame of mind, then space travel is seen a necessity for long-term survival, and the question becomes about which rocket system is best to transport a population to a new planet, within some timespan within a disaster horizon. Seeing progress towards this goal is genuinely awe-inspiring, and exciting to me. As an engineer, seeing such sophistication tested in broad daylight is also incredibly cool to me.

There's probably 15-20 rocket companies out there. One of them has demonstrated partial reuse (SpaceX). One other does 3D-printed rockets - and the rest build disposable rockets. One of them is currently testing fully-reusable rockets (SpaceX), and produces costs fractions of any other (SpaceX). 

I can appreciate being anti-rocket. But if you're pro-rocket, this guy's one of the best at what he does, and it could be argued has gone further out of his way than any other spacecraft manufacturer, to be pro-Earth at the same time. Also, I wish Elon would shut up and just be an engineer/CEO, because he's a distraction from the stuff that matters.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I think Brian (and many of us) just wishes we'd fix what we're doing here instead of just giving up and trying to live somewhere else. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think Brian (and many of us) just wishes we'd fix what we're doing here instead of just giving up and trying to live somewhere else. 
    7.8 billion people on Earth. If one wants to dedicate his energy to a second-best option and is damn good at pursuing it - shouldn't that be encouraged?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    7.8 billion people on Earth. If one wants to dedicate his energy to a second-best option and is damn good at pursuing it - shouldn't that be encouraged?
    I'm all for not putting your eggs in one basket, but why not dedicate it to the best option? we have enough billionaires that could band together and do something meaningful that could change the course where we live now. 

I mean, where are we even going to go? there's nothing habitable anywhere reachable. I honestly don't see the point unless we have a Dr Manhatten that can turn one of Jupiter's moons into an earth-like utopia. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

benjs said:
    I'm all for not putting your eggs in one basket, but why not dedicate it to the best option? we have enough billionaires that could band together and do something meaningful that could change the course where we live now. 

I mean, where are we even going to go? there's nothing habitable anywhere reachable. I honestly don't see the point unless we have a Dr Manhatten that can turn one of Jupiter's moons into an earth-like utopia. 
    1. Billionaires aren't exactly known for their cooperation. As it stands, how many of them run their own philanthropic organizations with their own objectives? I'll bet they all even agree that climate change is the largest existential threat to humanity, yet still wouldn't cooperate. There's no onus for them to, nor is there an obligation for them to. 
    2. 'Reachable' changes immediately as soon as a nuclear engine is an option, and NASA have announced exactly that. Given how small of a chunk of the universe the Solar System represents, it's at least worthwhile to be searching (with Webb) and trying to get to (with SpaceX) other tenable homes.

EV
    of course they aren't obligated to. But the amount of waste that these types of experiments emit, is it worth it?

from what I know of current discoveries, the closes planet in the goldilocks zone that we've found so far is 4.2 light years away. I had to look this up, but that's like 25 trillion miles. 

since the farthest humans have travelled so far is 250,000 miles, I'd classify that as unreachable. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    i am not applauding it. i am laughing at elon because everything he touches ends up sucking. 

This weekend we rock Portland
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    wouldnt it be easier to build underwater cities in the oceans than trying to colonize mars? i mean, the ocean is right there. and land is going to be swallowed up by it eventually.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    wouldnt it be easier to build underwater cities in the oceans than trying to colonize mars? i mean, the ocean is right there. and land is going to be swallowed up by it eventually.
    I'd love to live under the sea. Down where it's wetter, down where it's better.

EV
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Can't wait til humanity leaves earth and fucks up every other planet asteroid moon etc that we set foot on, because we don't want to work on ourselves.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    Can't wait til humanity leaves earth and fucks up every other planet asteroid moon etc that we set foot on, because we don't want to work on ourselves.
    Right. Much better to stay on a sinking ship. Do you play violin?

EV
    benjs said:
    static111 said:
    Why go somewhere else to do the same thing?  It's not like going to space itself is going to change us, it is just going to give us an ever greater environment to pollute and abuse and exploit.  Comparing the earth to a sinking ship is quite hyperbolic.  But by all means dream about fucking up outer space instead of trying to do your part  and put things on a better track here.

Just piano, guitar, bass and harmonica. Unfortunately I haven't found time to become a fiddler.
    Scio me nihil scire

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,411
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    benjs said:
    static111 said:
    But it’s not sinking. Sure, we’re headed towards the iceberg, but we haven’t hit it…yet. 

The ship can still be righted. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so, since elong took the blue checkmarks away, there are no blue checkmark people under my "following tab", and my "for you" tab is basically ALL blue check elon stans and right wingers. 

why is that?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

benjs said:
    static111 said:
    But it’s not sinking. Sure, we’re headed towards the iceberg, but we haven’t hit it…yet. 

The ship can still be righted. 
    And billions spent on space exploration could be better spent figuring out how to steer the ship we are on away from the iceberg, instead of making another ship to steer toward another iceberg.
    Scio me nihil scire

edited April 2023
    so, since elong took the blue checkmarks away, there are no blue checkmark people under my "following tab", and my "for you" tab is basically ALL blue check elon stans and right wingers. 

why is that?

plenty of celebs state they let it go. yet the check remains. to include dormant accounts of dead people
    its to to hide the fact not many are signing up....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

why is that?
    now a bunch of the blue checks have returned to accounts that claim they haven't paid for it (including the murdered Jamal Kashoggi), making conservatives believe all these people are hypocrite liars that have bowed to the almighty elon. 

he's such a baby with his childish games. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    edited April 2023

why is that?
    now a bunch of the blue checks have returned to accounts that claim they haven't paid for it (including the murdered Jamal Kashoggi), making conservatives believe all these people are hypocrite liars that have bowed to the almighty elon. 

he's such a baby with his childish games. 

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
    elon is going to mess with the wrong person one time and something bad is going to happen.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    mickeyrat said:
    Too bad they’re not publicly traded, it’d be a good time to get in.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mickeyrat said:
    Too bad they’re not publicly traded, it’d be a good time to get in.

tesla around 162

STONKS!!!!!! DOGECOIN!!!!!! GAMESTOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 TO THE MOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or like spacex, straight into the ground.

Jack Dorsey was also asked on his new platform (Bluesky) if he still had confidence that Musk was the right guy to take over Twitter. His response: "no". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Jack Dorsey was also asked on his new platform (Bluesky) if he still had confidence that Musk was the right guy to take over Twitter. His response: "no". 
    I'm curious on when Dorsey's answer would've changed from 'yes' to 'no' - my guess would be at the point when Elon tried to bail from the deal. From Dorsey's perspective, I wonder if that was the time when he started to engage in conversations about Bluesky? Lots of hypothesizing here, but it would make good business sense to let Twitter go into the hands of a assumed-to-be-crappy owner, let Twitter's shareholders still got a good deal based on the valuation of Twitter, and prepare a better app without the technical baggage.

Does that scenario seem likely to anyone else? If so, Dorsey would seem to be the more cunning businessperson of the two.

EV
    benjs said:
    I'm curious on when Dorsey's answer would've changed from 'yes' to 'no' - my guess would be at the point when Elon tried to bail from the deal. From Dorsey's perspective, I wonder if that was the time when he started to engage in conversations about Bluesky? Lots of hypothesizing here, but it would make good business sense to let Twitter go into the hands of a assumed-to-be-crappy owner, let Twitter's shareholders still got a good deal based on the valuation of Twitter, and prepare a better app without the technical baggage.

Does that scenario seem likely to anyone else? If so, Dorsey would seem to be the more cunning businessperson of the two.

read the usa today article I linked. bluesky was already in play in 2019?