Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Was doing my last long run before Half next weekend....was feeling strong at 7.5 miles and rolled my "good" ankle.  
    As normal, felt like I destroyed it, at first.  Good news was after a minute or two I felt things going back to normal.  Ran to 8 miles to make sure it still works ok and called it a day.  Put a wrap on it and call myself lucky.  Should be good to go.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
    Was doing my last long run before Half next weekend....was feeling strong at 7.5 miles and rolled my "good" ankle.  
    As normal, felt like I destroyed it, at first.  Good news was after a minute or two I felt things going back to normal.  Ran to 8 miles to make sure it still works ok and called it a day.  Put a wrap on it and call myself lucky.  Should be good to go.
    Wow! That is great that there was no lasting pain. That’s a relief. Good luck with the half. I ran 5.5 miles today. Nice day. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    GlowGirl said:
    Wow! That is great that there was no lasting pain. That’s a relief. Good luck with the half. I ran 5.5 miles today. Nice day. 
    Good work!

It isn't quite normal but I'm keeping it up.
    All will work out 

• Running in the capital 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Good work!

I saw you mention your half on Hedo’s thread. I didn’t want to ask about it there. How did it go,
    Thanks - was under 2 hours, which was my goal.  Slaughtered my orevious course PR by more than 15 minutes and my overall Half Marathon PR by around 6 minutes.  
    Not sure if that is the last Half I will run, or not.  My knees are so shot.  The last month of training has seen me get slower and slower, as the effect of the ramped up mileage set in.
    Think I need to go more intensely after 5k or 10k races. 
    I still dream of a sub 20 5k, so there is that to work toward.  
    I'm also going to look at doing some other crazy type shit to offset the running, I think.
    Wim Hof has been calling my name...
    Thanks - was under 2 hours, which was my goal.  Slaughtered my orevious course PR by more than 15 minutes and my overall Half Marathon PR by around 6 minutes.  
    Not sure if that is the last Half I will run, or not.  My knees are so shot.  The last month of training has seen me get slower and slower, as the effect of the ramped up mileage set in.
    I'm also going to look at doing some other crazy type shit to offset the running, I think.
    Awesome that you reached your goal 👏👏👏. I know you are always challenging yourself. I am sorry your knees are still bothering you. You are right that it may be good to redirect your goals to something that will preserve their function. Can you use your pool in the winter to do that cold Wim Hof thing? 😁
    GlowGirl said:
    Awesome that you reached your goal 👏👏👏. I know you are always challenging yourself. I am sorry your knees are still bothering you. You are right that it may be good to redirect your goals to something that will preserve their function. Can you use your pool in the winter to do that cold Wim Hof thing? 😁
    Thanks.

Going to get a cold tub and a sauna, at some point.
  • Snow here now... take a break for winter or buy shoes with studs?

Icebug looks nice:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Do what you can not to take a break. I have never run in snow so I can’t advise you on that. I use a treadmill when I can’t deal with the outside weather. But I am sure someone here will give you some snow advice. 
    I'll run outside but not in deep snow or if I think there is a lot of ice.  The track will usually be clear within a day or two of snow and the sidewalks cleared in the same time.
    Be careful out there!
    (I hate the dreadmill but will do before ice/snow)
  • Snow is not the problem. But the slipperyness...

Will stay at hotel tomorrow, will for the first time try out a gym at a hotel (the threadmill).
    Good luck!
    (Please be sure to utilize the towels on hand to wipe down the machine after you finish.  This is something that drives me crazy in the events I need to use a public machine....people sweat all over and don't clean up.  :) )
    Good luck!
    (Please be sure to utilize the towels on hand to wipe down the machine after you finish.  This is something that drives me crazy in the events I need to use a public machine....people sweat all over and don't clean up.  :) )
    I use the disinfectant wipes they provide to wipe down the machine before and after I use it. Not taking any chances.

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Congrats!  A 10k feel nice, right?  
  • Congrats!  A 10k feel nice, right?  
    Felt nice. Was suppose to run "only" 5 with my colleague continuing on to 10. But we had such a "slow" tempo that I had no problems running the full distance. Surprised. And felt good having lunch straight after. hehe.
  • Hoping to get under an hour before year ends. 
    Hoping to get under an hour before year ends. 
    That is a good goal....4 minutes is a big move but bite it one chunk at a time.
    If you had no issues going 10 at this we I'm sure you can take off a few minutes pretty easily. 
  • Felt like there was a chance of it being under an hour. But no :(

Still. You are doing great. Keep it up. 
    Yesterday I learned that I am not an evening runner. I am visiting my family and was out with my sister and niece all day running around shopping, etc. my sister asked me if I wanted to go to her gym and use the treadmill with her around 8:00pm. Since I missed my morning run I decided to go. I don’t know if it was already because I walked around several miles during the day, or if I was on a different type of treadmill than I am used to - but around 4 miles in I started to get a bit nauseous and decided to end the run. I just felt really wiped out. I usually run in the morning as the first thing I really do all day. So maybe that made a difference. 
    I also pretty much exclusively run in the early AM and don't enjoy the evening runs.  
    Tweaked a calf muscle somehow last week between my first run since the half, on Thursday, a long and hilly hike on Friday, and hours of yard work on Saturday.   Gave it some time....hoping to run again tomorrow but will see how I feel tonight.  My brain craves it but I don't want to have a setback....have a 5k the weekend after next.

Been thinking about my 2023 running goals.  Think I need to say goodbye to longer runs...toying with keeping the 10 miler in May in there as the long/big race.  35,000 people, through the heart of Philly.  I also think I can train for that while not going every day.  My knees can't take the training I did the last 12 weeks preparing for the half, for any length of time.
    Before that, I didn't have too much obvious pain.

Thinking about setting a time goal for a 5k and going after it.  Perhaps a 5 or 10 k every month, with the training all built around the 5k.  Need to settle on this sometime soon, as I'm a person who wants a plan.

What are your goals for next year, group?

I hope your calf feels better soon. It sounds like you are coming up with a good plan to make sure you don’t wear out too soon. You don’t want to be hobbling around once you get old. I wonder if you can redirect that craving to something like a yoga day. I feel so good after I run but also get that same feeling after a good 90 minute yoga class. My running goals haven’t changed much. Since I run more for health and not competition I will continue on my path. I can try to increase my speed a bit. I also may want to increase my distance once a week or so - and not worry as much about speed during that run. 
    GlowGirl said:
    I hope your calf feels better soon. It sounds like you are coming up with a good plan to make sure you don’t wear out too soon. You don’t want to be hobbling around once you get old. I wonder if you can redirect that craving to something like a yoga day. I feel so good after I run but also get that same feeling after a good 90 minute yoga class. My running goals haven’t changed much. Since I run more for health and not competition I will continue on my path. I can try to increase my speed a bit. I also may want to increase my distance once a week or so - and not worry as much about speed during that run. 
    I already am old!  ;)
    Yoga is a good idea, however I don't play well with others when it comes to these sorts of things....want to do training on my own.  The video guides I've checked out don't seem like they would work.  For sure need to mix in other activities, good idea on the yoga.

Your plan makes good sense for what you share, here.  
    GlowGirl said:
    I already am old!  ;)
    Yoga is a good idea, however I don't play well with others when it comes to these sorts of things....want to do training on my own.  The video guides I've checked out don't seem like they would work.  For sure need to mix in other activities, good idea on the yoga.

Your plan makes good sense for what you share, here.  
    I can't stand the yoga videos. I need the live class. Don't think of yoga as training. Think of it as working to increase your flexibility and also to give you mental health benefits so you can do more with your own training. However, if you really don't want to take a group yoga class - you could pay for a private class once a week. They are quite a bit more. Another suggestion is pilates. I sometimes take a pilates class. However, if you wanted to spend the money you could take a private reformer pilates class. Those are ones that use the machines. Pilates is great for stretching your muscles and joints, and also for core strength (lots of ab and back work). It is not easy, but I like it (just not quite as much as I like yoga). It's always worth taking one class to see if you like it.

• My goals for next year are improving on my HM in the spring (hopefully sub 1:30), then my first marathon in the fall. Otherwise just trying to stay healthy while training.
    Sub 130.  Damn, I wish!
    Love the goal of the first 26.2.
    Wish I could do that again.  Even doing them when training for the 50k was fun.  (Albeit painful fun)
  • Sub 130.  Damn, I wish!
    Love the goal of the first 26.2.
    Wish I could do that again.  Even doing them when training for the 50k was fun.  (Albeit painful fun)
    We'll see how wishful that is since my first official was 1:35.