The Official 2023 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    JimmyV said:
    I don't know what would and would not sellout, but if RHCP can pull off a stadium tour then I don't see why PJ couldn't.  
    I think if they were they would need to bring along a stadium sized opening band like RHCP just had with The Strokes. Pluralone isn’t putting any asses in those seats. 
    This is a great point. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I miss having shows to look forward to. Just scheduled my first vacation day for 2023. Let's do this thing!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    I met a 25-35 Y.O. in London who had never heard of PJ.  Man, I felt old :) 
    A young lady in her 20s was walking across the street from the Apollo while chatting on her cell, she took a look at the line then looked across at the marquee and asked the person on the other end of the line “who’s Pearl Jam?”
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • I saw PJ in a football stadium once...opening for U2. They can certainly do a "destination" show like Fenway or Wrigley, but a stadium tour is not happening in 2022/23 or beyond, imo. Even for this short arena tour, few stops were truly tough tickets.
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,105
    100 Pacer said:
    I met a 25-35 Y.O. in London who had never heard of PJ.  Man, I felt old :) 
    A young lady in her 20s was walking across the street from the Apollo while chatting on her cell, she took a look at the line then looked across at the marquee and asked the person on the other end of the line “who’s Pearl Jam?”
    That makes me sad, especially as a somewhat younger PJ fan (mid-30s). They don’t know what they’re missing. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Get_Right said:
    Drdeal said:
    My sense is the this killer US tour was a lead up to a US Stadium Tour next year. They could have done multiple nights in many markets; but opted for one arena show. Ticket resale prices were crazy. Setlists were crazy. This all builds up demand for the band which will support a 2023 Stadium Run. Touring is more expensive now. Another more extensive
     stadium run makes sense for them at this point in their careers.
    I would disagree with this.  They can play ballparks in Boston, NYC, Chicago, Philly, and Seattle.  Every other market is an Arena at the most.  

Even for the Fenway shows in 2018, tickets weren't THAT hard to come by near the date of the show

As crazy as resale was for NYC and Philly, the total opposite was true for the California and other spring shows.  There was also plenty of tickets available the week of for most of the fall shows this year.

And on the day of MSG and Camden, tix could be had relatively easily. Many ball parks have character, are a destination unto themselves and have smaller capacity than football stadiums. I would go back to Wrigley and Fenway in a heartbeat. Football stadiums not so much.

Where were there easy tickets for these two shows? There were a handful of TM drops for each, but the buyer needed to be on it the second they hit the site.

stub hub msg was still running north of $600 for the vast majority of tickets  on show date right up until show time. And many remained unsold north of a grand per ticket.
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    I don't know what would and would not sellout, but if RHCP can pull off a stadium tour then I don't see why PJ couldn't.  
    I think if they were they would need to bring along a stadium sized opening band like RHCP just had with The Strokes. Pluralone isn’t putting any asses in those seats. 
    This is a great point. 
    The younger fans seem to not like loud guitars as much and they probably like the funkiness of RHCP.

Also, RHCP have been loyally touring the US over the past ten years. Touring matters. Not touring full tours also matters.

Ahem, dare I bring up the issue of locking up all the best seats decade after decade?

Young fans have zero chance of good seats, so if they don’t like the angst of GA, they are SOL. The argument can be made the ticket policy is literally telling younger fans not to bother. 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    JimmyV said:
    I think RHCP is much more popular with the 15-35 crowd than PJ is
    Agree. Plus tons of casual fans for RHCP. They’ve stayed relevant and accessible the entire 30+ year period. I’ve never seen so many people at a concert as I did for RHCP.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 584
    Off topic, but ‘Eddie’ by RHCP is incredible!
  • CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 361
    Checked this thread for 2023 rumors only to find a discussion about RHCP...sigh 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    CPR7 said:
    Checked this thread for 2023 rumors only to find a discussion about RHCP...sigh 
    we got noffin 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • CoshieCoshie Port Fairy Posts: 275
    edited September 2022
    It's so bitterly disappointing to be an Aussie PJ fan that always eagerly awaits tour announcements. PJ is a commercial machine with so many mouths to feed, and touring Australia's 4/5 cities is a far less profitable scenario to lug all their sh*t and staff here when they can tour 20 more cities in US/EU in the same amount of time for more buckaroons.
    Feb/March maybe....or Nov. if not, I guess it's another $10-$20,000 mission to see them for Aussie fans.  =)
    Australian live music is on its knees and on life support post covid, and could use some PJ injection right about now. 
    Post edited by Coshie on
    Melbourne - 1998-2003-2006-2009-2014
    Eddie Vedder Solo Melbourne - 2011-2014
    Seattle 1 & 2 2018
    Missoula 2018
    Baltimore, New York 2020 😭
    EV & Earthlings New York 1 & 2 - 2022
    EV & Earthlings New Jersey - 2022
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 297
    vedpunk said:
    ^ I remember thinking the same thing. Coldplay is gonna sell out Gillette Stadium? No way. Then they did…

I agree, its surprising, but coldplays market is much different than this one. They attract a younger pop oriented crowd who'd jump at the chance to sit in the cumulus stratosphere for 50 bucks.  I'm not sure this audience is on board with that 

I never thought I'd ever say this, but the Cali dates were eye opening. It's possible the promoter took a bit of a hit (yea!). After that, I wouldn't front $ for unproven markets for a stadium advance, but probably LN takes a flier on that risk 

The band should take some well deserved time off and when ready,  do it right. Not these cheesy mini US tours of the past ten years. 
    So they really do it for the money?  They could easily sell out 20k arenas in a southern tour of Atlanta, Miami, Tampa,  Houston, Dallas, San Antonio but choose to play to half empty arenas in California.  They need to start serving their customer market and not there political interests.  Not everyone in the south is a stereotypical crazy redneck republican.  Most of the East and West coasts moved down here during the pandemic anyway.  
    Half empty arenas in California? HUH? San diego was full, i was at the LA shows and they were full. Oakland i can’t speak for, but it looks like they were full on any youtube videos i’ve seen🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ It’s not rocket science that if tickets are being sold BEHIND the stage, thats a good indication of how sales are……
    HOWEVER, all of those shows were sold out  back in 2020 when they first went on sale. Covid changed everything, of course. And Cali is in a weird place these days, things are not good. 
    Also, Fresno is a small market, and on a weekday PJ packed it out pretty full. Sacramento tickets were starting to move really good about a week out from the show, actually. Like, REAL good, i was watching
  • Bunting10Bunting10 Massachusetts, USA Posts: 613
    I’m here for the RHCP rumors!!
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    edited September 2022
    This tour, covid, the very short sets (22 songs counting Lukin and interstellar overdrive), inflation/cost of tickets, etc made me realize I won't travel more than two hours to see them. It was a good run for PJ and myself.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Haijay said:
    vedpunk said:
    ^ I remember thinking the same thing. Coldplay is gonna sell out Gillette Stadium? No way. Then they did…

I agree, its surprising, but coldplays market is much different than this one. They attract a younger pop oriented crowd who'd jump at the chance to sit in the cumulus stratosphere for 50 bucks.  I'm not sure this audience is on board with that 

I never thought I'd ever say this, but the Cali dates were eye opening. It's possible the promoter took a bit of a hit (yea!). After that, I wouldn't front $ for unproven markets for a stadium advance, but probably LN takes a flier on that risk 

The band should take some well deserved time off and when ready,  do it right. Not these cheesy mini US tours of the past ten years. 
    So they really do it for the money?  They could easily sell out 20k arenas in a southern tour of Atlanta, Miami, Tampa,  Houston, Dallas, San Antonio but choose to play to half empty arenas in California.  They need to start serving their customer market and not there political interests.  Not everyone in the south is a stereotypical crazy redneck republican.  Most of the East and West coasts moved down here during the pandemic anyway.  
    Half empty arenas in California? HUH? San diego was full, i was at the LA shows and they were full. Oakland i can’t speak for, but it looks like they were full on any youtube videos i’ve seen🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ It’s not rocket science that if tickets are being sold BEHIND the stage, thats a good indication of how sales are……
    HOWEVER, all of those shows were sold out  back in 2020 when they first went on sale. Covid changed everything, of course. And Cali is in a weird place these days, things are not good. 
    Also, Fresno is a small market, and on a weekday PJ packed it out pretty full. Sacramento tickets were starting to move really good about a week out from the show, actually. Like, REAL good, i was watching
    Fresno was not close to sold out.  They even stopped trying to sell part of the upper level.  People can debate the reasons and implications but that’s a fact.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 484
    edited September 2022

• Bunting10 said:
    I’m here for the RHCP rumors!!
    More stadium dates to come..
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,834
    Coshie said:
    It's so bitterly disappointing to be an Aussie PJ fan that always eagerly awaits tour announcements. PJ is a commercial machine with so many mouths to feed, and touring Australia's 4/5 cities is a far less profitable scenario to lug all their sh*t and staff here when they can tour 20 more cities in US/EU in the same amount of time for more buckaroons.
    Feb/March maybe....or Nov. if not, I guess it's another $10-$20,000 mission to see them for Aussie fans.  =)
    Australian live music is on its knees and on life support post covid, and could use some PJ injection right about now. 
    I just saw Australian Pink Floyd. They were awesome, total musicians and they put on a great, really amazing show. So glad I went when my buddy invited me.
    Only gripe was the older crowd... no one even attempted to stand for the show. The crowd finally stood for like the 2nd to last song, and then the lead singer motioned for everyone to sit down again for the last song... concert could have so much more energy.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

Haijay said:
    vedpunk said:

Remember the comparison is to the NE, where I have never seen a blue dot on TM that was accessible to more than the 0.01% of those trying to buy the second it’s for sale. Wish I had a screenshot of the forum shows, there were seas of available tickets. Premium dropped to about $200 many days before shows and there was plenty to chose from. Check out the old posts in porch, many were trying to unload days before the show at steep discounts. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited September 2022
    Haijay said:
    vedpunk said:

Oak1 and Oak2 were packed

I don't quite understand why they avoid Indy though....it's been 12 years and they would sell out every time they came
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    edited September 2022
    Not saying the shows weren’t near sellouts, but there were tons of options the days and weeks leading up to the shows, something we have never seen in the east. Go Animals thread -
    • Fresno, SAC, and the rescheduled Cali shows have plenty of affordable tix. Take a week of if you can, and make the Cali run!

This is the only pic I could find, forum was similar the week of the show

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Besides apparently playing Glasgow, rhcp will definitely play dates in South America, could be a Lollapalooza run in March 2023 with a few others mixed in. These dates (and maybe even another leg) will be announced before the end of the year and long before we even get a pj rumor. 
  • RyanRyan Posts: 1,012
    https://vwmusicrocks.com/an-interview-with-stone-gossard-of-pearl-jam/

Just a reminder that in July 2022 Stone said they have plans for more US dates next year.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Ryan said:
    https://vwmusicrocks.com/an-interview-with-stone-gossard-of-pearl-jam/

Just a reminder that in July 2022 Stone said they have plans for more US dates next year.
    I would like some news on Painted Shield dates. They were supposed to play Ohana Encore weekend, however with that being cancelled, I am not aware of any announced dates.
  • Mikemzl91 said:
    Besides apparently playing Glasgow, rhcp will definitely play dates in South America, could be a Lollapalooza run in March 2023 with a few others mixed in. These dates (and maybe even another leg) will be announced before the end of the year and long before we even get a pj rumor. 
    Shit that didn't take long, looks like another European summer tour. Festival in Germany with other dates to follow. I still think they play South America in March. 

• Mikemzl91 said:

Please tell me this is real.
  • Not saying the shows weren’t near sellouts, but there were tons of options the days and weeks leading up to the shows, something we have never seen in the east. Go Animals thread -
    • Fresno, SAC, and the rescheduled Cali shows have plenty of affordable tix. Take a week of if you can, and make the Cali run!

This is the only pic I could find, forum was similar the week of the show

I get that everyone east is hating on the CA shows, the reality is in 2020 all the shows were just as sold as the east. F2F tickets were still in high demand and getting upgrades was hard to do. Fast forward to 2022, PJ played Ohana twice, then the CA dates were front loaded in time where CV was still very unpredictable. .. The spacing of the events had free time to add dates, SAC, Fresno, LV.. In 2020, I had PHX, and both OAK shows, when new dates dropped, I changed to SD, OAK2, Fresno, SAC.. for me it was better on my schedule as I live in SAC. The Demand was diluted a but and you do not have the high level of people following the tour. Now from a PJ perspective what is better, selling out every show to traveling fans, or bringing in NEW fans that will buy their records and see shows in the future? Sure they could add more shows in the east and have the same people attending each.. or bring in a new base while also satisfying the travelers. 
  • Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 484
    edited September 2022
    Mikemzl91 said:

Please tell me this is real.
    From a very credible source. Beyond that i dont know, its from his instagram story. He goes to tons of rhcp shows and is from Germany. I think its real.
    Post edited by Mikemzl91 on