Has the world (as we know it) ended?

Comments

• StoveStove Posts: 310
    Zod said:
    I think the problem with temperature rising, is what the climate changes to do land being used for agriculture.

What happen's if the California drought doesn't end, and the farmers use up all the groundwater kind of thing (which is even hard to replenish than the lakes).    As the climate changes will we still have enough land/resources to keep growing food at the rates we do.

That's one of my biggest concerns with climate change, is land changing in this way.   Land no longer being able to support agriculture.
    tbf...California is in a drought every other year....  :D

SSH
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    two parents with two kids is a ratio of 1:1. we'd probably be better off to lessen our population, but currently, I've read, it's still sustainable at the current level (the amount of food american throws out could feed the planet, for example). it's just not sustainable at the current rate of population growth. 
    I know we are wasteful with food, but no way can the food we throw out feed the planet. We’re only 1/20th of the planet. We don’t throw out enough to feed 20 times our population. I’d believe we throw out enough to feed all the homeless and those without here, but not the world.
    I agree with the 1:1 ratio. Problem is I don’t think we could enforce anything like that. I remember growing up as a kid and all the negative talk towards China for doing it. It wouldn’t fly here until it was already too late.
    correct, it was an exaggeration and I should have qualified it as such. the real number is just as disturbing: 

According to the U.N. Environment Programme, industrialized countries in North America, Europe and Asia collectively waste 222 million tons of food each year. In contrast, countries in sub-Saharan Africa produce 230 million tons of food each year. That means sub-Saharan Africa’s food output is practically equal to the amount of food wasted by the world’s richest countries. 

source: https://www.wfpusa.org/articles/8-facts-to-know-about-food-waste-and-hunger/#:~:text=3) 30-40% of,food is damaged or spoiled
    That number actually isn’t surprising to me. NA, Europe and Asia is the majority of the world. I’m not surprised the food we all collectively waste could feed sub-Saharan Africa.
    I work in a grocery store and the amount of food waste through pure laziness is staggering. The amount thrown out from the store I work at alone in one week could easily feed 1000 people a week.
    Sheriff Joe Arpajo would take that food and feed the inmates to save the state money.
    Growing up on a farm in Florida, we always got truckloads of expired Winn Dixie or Piggly Wiggly produce for our livestock, mainly pigs. That's not to say that the family didn't also help ourselves to whatever still looked good enough to eat, but we couldn't let them know that we might eat it; it was animal-grade at that point or something, I guess.

The folks using our farm in Vermont have a similar deal with the Shaw's up there, I think.
    That’s how Joe fed his tigers.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    two parents with two kids is a ratio of 1:1. we'd probably be better off to lessen our population, but currently, I've read, it's still sustainable at the current level (the amount of food american throws out could feed the planet, for example). it's just not sustainable at the current rate of population growth. 
    I know we are wasteful with food, but no way can the food we throw out feed the planet. We’re only 1/20th of the planet. We don’t throw out enough to feed 20 times our population. I’d believe we throw out enough to feed all the homeless and those without here, but not the world.
    I agree with the 1:1 ratio. Problem is I don’t think we could enforce anything like that. I remember growing up as a kid and all the negative talk towards China for doing it. It wouldn’t fly here until it was already too late.
    correct, it was an exaggeration and I should have qualified it as such. the real number is just as disturbing: 

According to the U.N. Environment Programme, industrialized countries in North America, Europe and Asia collectively waste 222 million tons of food each year. In contrast, countries in sub-Saharan Africa produce 230 million tons of food each year. That means sub-Saharan Africa’s food output is practically equal to the amount of food wasted by the world’s richest countries. 

source: https://www.wfpusa.org/articles/8-facts-to-know-about-food-waste-and-hunger/#:~:text=3) 30-40% of,food is damaged or spoiled
    That number actually isn’t surprising to me. NA, Europe and Asia is the majority of the world. I’m not surprised the food we all collectively waste could feed sub-Saharan Africa.
    I work in a grocery store and the amount of food waste through pure laziness is staggering. The amount thrown out from the store I work at alone in one week could easily feed 1000 people a week.
    Sheriff Joe Arpajo would take that food and feed the inmates to save the state money.
    Growing up on a farm in Florida, we always got truckloads of expired Winn Dixie or Piggly Wiggly produce for our livestock, mainly pigs. That's not to say that the family didn't also help ourselves to whatever still looked good enough to eat, but we couldn't let them know that we might eat it; it was animal-grade at that point or something, I guess.

The folks using our farm in Vermont have a similar deal with the Shaw's up there, I think.
    Brandon has tigers? So that’s what happened to Marc Rich’s body!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • StoveStove Posts: 310
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

And he never financially 
    recovered from it....  :D
    SSH
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    static111 said:
    jhager79 said:
    Stove said:
    jhager79 said:
    brianlux said:
    jhager79 said:
    I might be the only one who thinks like this but this feels like a week that could change the world in an unaimagined way.  One of those weeks/ days that would be looked at as when things happened that didn't need to happen that set us on course for disaster. 

I hear you, J.  Reading the NY Times this morning put me in that frame of mind as well.  What a start to the day!  Can't sleep because of the heat, so get up and read about the world going to shit.  
    More coffee, please! 
    Somedays I think it be better to just stay in my own little bubble like a lot of people I know. They seem happy. Uninformed but happy. 
    Honestly thats the way to go...imagine thinking death is imminent and the world is trash...well then you be me...and it suxxxxxxx.
    I can't do it though. It's horrible for my anxiety but I just can't turn away. I do think that the world is a better place than we give it credit for. Truly believe that the vast majority of people are good, sometimes we just need to be reminded of how to treat others. If we treated others the way we want to be treated society we function a lot better than it does currently.  I make a conscious effort to live that way and it makes a big difference for me.

What’s the saying, most people are nice but not kind? They are mostly concerned with themselves and their own circle of family/friends? 

The one thing we can do to help the planet is end coal now. But try having that discussion with a Republican voter or an independent. 
    Though that would be a help, I don't think the issue is that simple.  We still have factory farming, global shipping, the decimation of the rainforest, over fishing, ocean pollution etc.  It is a very interconnected ecosystem of destruction and if we just take one link out of the web without greatly rethinking how to make our society more sustainable we will at best just kick the can down the road.
    Aren't ships a good method of shipping?  Lose the next day air stuff and there you go.

I wonder how long it would take people to get used to the time lag?  My step daughter lives in Ketchikan, Alaska and a lot of what gets sent there goes by ship and then barge.   They're used to it, but most of us would no be.  Stuff takes a long time to get there.  True, it is an isolated town, but the idea of shipping by slow boat or train (fine with me) would not go over well with a big percentage of the population.
    All that said, I agree with the idea.  When I was a kid and you ordered something by mail, most often the order slip would say "Please allow six weeks for delivery."  We did it then, we could do it and get used to it again.  I hope, anyway!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    jhager79 said:
    Stove said:
    jhager79 said:
    brianlux said:
    jhager79 said:
    I might be the only one who thinks like this but this feels like a week that could change the world in an unaimagined way.  One of those weeks/ days that would be looked at as when things happened that didn't need to happen that set us on course for disaster. 

I hear you, J.  Reading the NY Times this morning put me in that frame of mind as well.  What a start to the day!  Can't sleep because of the heat, so get up and read about the world going to shit.  
    More coffee, please! 
    Somedays I think it be better to just stay in my own little bubble like a lot of people I know. They seem happy. Uninformed but happy. 
    Honestly thats the way to go...imagine thinking death is imminent and the world is trash...well then you be me...and it suxxxxxxx.
    I can't do it though. It's horrible for my anxiety but I just can't turn away. I do think that the world is a better place than we give it credit for. Truly believe that the vast majority of people are good, sometimes we just need to be reminded of how to treat others. If we treated others the way we want to be treated society we function a lot better than it does currently.  I make a conscious effort to live that way and it makes a big difference for me.

What’s the saying, most people are nice but not kind? They are mostly concerned with themselves and their own circle of family/friends? 

The one thing we can do to help the planet is end coal now. But try having that discussion with a Republican voter or an independent. 
    Though that would be a help, I don't think the issue is that simple.  We still have factory farming, global shipping, the decimation of the rainforest, over fishing, ocean pollution etc.  It is a very interconnected ecosystem of destruction and if we just take one link out of the web without greatly rethinking how to make our society more sustainable we will at best just kick the can down the road.
    Aren't ships a good method of shipping?  Lose the next day air stuff and there you go.

I wonder how long it would take people to get used to the time lag?  My step daughter lives in Ketchikan, Alaska and a lot of what gets sent there goes by ship and then barge.   They're used to it, but most of us would no be.  Stuff takes a long time to get there.  True, it is an isolated town, but the idea of shipping by slow boat or train (fine with me) would not go over well with a big percentage of the population.
    All that said, I agree with the idea.  When I was a kid and you ordered something by mail, most often the order slip would say "Please allow six weeks for delivery."  We did it then, we could do it and get used to it again.  I hope, anyway!
    When I worked in Alaska yes, everything took time.  Even mail.  

"It's a geological oddity.  2 weeks from everywhere!" to quote the movie Oh Brother! Where art though?

As a kid I would get 2 day ground shipping for bike parts but it always came 2 weeks to a month later, lol.  It was painful and yes, we do live in a world of "need it now" but since the pandemic that clock has been reset.  I can't get anything in a day anymore so maybe we could get used to that?

I am pre-planning better at work for items.  It's not available for next day anymore.

Maybe, just maybe, we can adapt to that?
    Stove said:
    Zod said:
    I think the problem with temperature rising, is what the climate changes to do land being used for agriculture.

What happen's if the California drought doesn't end, and the farmers use up all the groundwater kind of thing (which is even hard to replenish than the lakes).    As the climate changes will we still have enough land/resources to keep growing food at the rates we do.

That's one of my biggest concerns with climate change, is land changing in this way.   Land no longer being able to support agriculture.

Since 2006 or 2008?

The Hoover dam has been in a decline since 2003?

An area called Echo Bay I would go to is now dry land.

They are finding bodies that were dumped in the 70's from receding water lines at Salt Lake.

Tetu Lake in 2010 was 15 feet lower than what it normally was, not sure if it has recovered?

Jamaica bay, despite conservation efforts, the marsh lands continue to diminish.

These are areas I have visited and noticed the changes.  I'm sure there is more if I can think of them.  Not sure what the Kern river and Lake Isabella look like?  In 95 they had a drought and tops of old houses wee present.  They were there before the lake was filled.  
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    jhager79 said:
    Stove said:
    jhager79 said:
    brianlux said:
    jhager79 said:

More coffee, please! 

When I worked in Alaska yes, everything took time.  Even mail.  

"It's a geological oddity.  2 weeks from everywhere!" to quote the movie Oh Brother! Where art though?

As a kid I would get 2 day ground shipping for bike parts but it always came 2 weeks to a month later, lol.  It was painful and yes, we do live in a world of "need it now" but since the pandemic that clock has been reset.  I can't get anything in a day anymore so maybe we could get used to that?

I am pre-planning better at work for items.  It's not available for next day anymore.

Maybe, just maybe, we can adapt to that?

Well said! 
    Yeah, I think it would do us and the world some good to learn to not expect everything to show up at (a metaphorical) snap of the fingers.  A little delayed gratification for the betterment of the world would be very helpful.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

We have a similar agreement with local farmers. Most of the products I'm referring to unfortunately aren't past code, but not visually appealing or slightly marked. Bruised apples, spotted cauliflower, ripped exterior packaging etc. All perfectly fine food thrown away because of laziness. For instance last month we had 80 cases of 8 strawberries thrown away because of one or two berries had sweaters instead of removing the off berries they all got thrown down the compactor. If the average person only knew.
    I see this on a micro level all the time, with friends that have the money and are just careless with what's in their fridge or in their pantry and don't care. We were staying with friends in vancouver, for example, and the wife just comes home with loaves of bread every day, throws them on the pile on the counter. We were there 5 days. I threw out about 3 loaves a day just looking for something that wasn't completely moldy. Same situation in their fridge. it's disgusting. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

We have a similar agreement with local farmers. Most of the products I'm referring to unfortunately aren't past code, but not visually appealing or slightly marked. Bruised apples, spotted cauliflower, ripped exterior packaging etc. All perfectly fine food thrown away because of laziness. For instance last month we had 80 cases of 8 strawberries thrown away because of one or two berries had sweaters instead of removing the off berries they all got thrown down the compactor. If the average person only knew.
    I see this on a micro level all the time, with friends that have the money and are just careless with what's in their fridge or in their pantry and don't care. We were staying with friends in vancouver, for example, and the wife just comes home with loaves of bread every day, throws them on the pile on the counter. We were there 5 days. I threw out about 3 loaves a day just looking for something that wasn't completely moldy. Same situation in their fridge. it's disgusting. 
    If we can find a solution to the amount of food waste 3 small kids generate I’m all ears.

kids are great, but I’ve never wasted so much food in my life.  At least since I was a kid 
    jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

If we can find a solution to the amount of food waste 3 small kids generate I’m all ears.

kids are great, but I’ve never wasted so much food in my life.  At least since I was a kid 
    I know. back in our day (born 1974), food waste just wasn't a thing in my house. we weren't poor, but lower middle class, and wasting food just wasn't allowed. you finished your plate or you went hungry. sure, force feeding your kids when they aren't hungry/hate the food isn't exactly the right way either, but a balance is needed. 

I don't personally waste food unless it's by accident. I mean, the price of avocados? I'm checking those bastards every morning! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    jhager79 said:
    Stove said:
    jhager79 said:
    brianlux said:
    jhager79 said:

More coffee, please! 

if one thing we know of society, the vast majority of people are not willing to go back to an inferior technology if it will cause them any sort of inconvenience. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I know. back in our day (born 1974), food waste just wasn't a thing in my house. we weren't poor, but lower middle class, and wasting food just wasn't allowed. you finished your plate or you went hungry. sure, force feeding your kids when they aren't hungry/hate the food isn't exactly the right way either, but a balance is needed. 

I don't personally waste food unless it's by accident. I mean, the price of avocados? I'm checking those bastards every morning! 

Same here- as kids, we were told to eat everything on our plate, even the Lima beans I hated.  It wasn't until I involuntarily puked up my Lima beans onto my place that I was given a pass on those nasty things!

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    brianlux said:
    jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Same here- as kids, we were told to eat everything on our plate, even the Lima beans I hated.  It wasn't until I involuntarily puked up my Lima beans onto my place that I was given a pass on those nasty things!

brianlux said:
    jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

This was a result of the depression.  Your Grandparents most likely lived through it and instilled that in your parents. It is now skipping a generation where we aren't making the kids eat what is on their plates
    brianlux said:
    jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

This was a result of the depression.  Your Grandparents most likely lived through it and instilled that in your parents. It is now skipping a generation where we aren't making the kids eat what is on their plates
    That’s probably it.  I grew up with depression stories from my grandparents but that was when I was visiting.  It wasn’t every night at the dinner table 
    brianlux said:
    jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

in my mom's case, maybe. in my dad's case (his dad was a VP of an insurance company), not so much. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

That’s probably it.  I grew up with depression stories from my grandparents but that was when I was visiting.  It wasn’t every night at the dinner table 
    brianlux said:

in my mom's case, maybe. in my dad's case (his dad was a VP of an insurance company), not so much. 
    Ask them.  I'd be curious.  I know this was a direct result from my parents, they also grew up poor so a meal was not something to be taken for granted.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Stove said:
    Zod said:

I think it's every year now, but that doesn't alter the argument.

California is running out of water.  The reservoirs keep going down to record low levels, and they never get replenished.  Between a lack of rainfall, and increased population/demand on the water, it's going to run out.   I think it'll be scary when that happens.

Unless California gets some kind of miracle monsoon rains for a few years on end?

To me it seems like a problem that's going to become a big problem in the next few years barring a miracle.  Maybe it's just me?

edited August 2022
    Zod said:
    Stove said:
    Zod said:

California is running out of water.  The reservoirs keep going down to record low levels, and they never get replenished.  Between a lack of rainfall, and increased population/demand on the water, it's going to run out.   I think it'll be scary when that happens.

Unless California gets some kind of miracle monsoon rains for a few years on end?

To me it seems like a problem that's going to become a big problem in the next few years barring a miracle.  Maybe it's just me?

Arizona is the junior water rights state on the Colorado river.  It’s a desert there and the 3rd largest producer of vegetables.  They are in trouble 

not to say california isn’t, but I’d rather be California 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    absurd to me that the states don't help each other out in situations like these. United? BWAHAHAHAHA. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2022
    absurd to me that the states don't help each other out in situations like these. United? BWAHAHAHAHA. 
    Nebraska has threatened to dig a canal in Colorado to divert the Platte river even though Colorado gives them their entitled amount.  I’m not a geography expert but I thought it already flowed into Nebraska 

they have funded it and everything 

This happens on one hand and on the other hand people deny water running out is even an issue 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    Zod said:
    Stove said:
    Zod said:

DC area water is being contaminated by saltwater seeping into the ground water due to sea level rise. That issue is going to become more pronounced over time. But hey, we were warned at least a decade ago when deciduous trees were dying off along the eastern seaboard due to saltwater infiltration. Its all a hoax anyway to take away your guns and install cancer causing, bird killing windmills.

Access to fresh water is going to be a huge worldwide issue in the next 3-10 years from the mountains to the oceans. Nowhere will be immune, resulting in chaos.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Zod said:
    Stove said:
    Zod said:

DC area water is being contaminated by saltwater seeping into the ground water due to sea level rise. That issue is going to become more pronounced over time. But hey, we were warned at least a decade ago when deciduous trees were dying off along the eastern seaboard due to saltwater infiltration. Its all a hoax anyway to take away your guns and install cancer causing, bird killing windmills.

Access to fresh water is going to be a huge worldwide issue in the next 3-10 years from the mountains to the oceans. Nowhere will be immune, resulting in chaos.
    I don't know if this is still the case but during my decade on Wall Street (2005 to 2015), Israeli sovereign wealth funds were investing heavily in water stocks, even water-based ETFs.

Also, personally, as a BDS supporter, my research (read: I downloaded an app that helps me shop) has narrowed it down to only a few bottled water/seltzer water brands that I can buy without some of that money going to Israel. I mean, it's a case of necessity breeding invention/investment on Israel's part, but I hope they remember who helped build them that iron dome when the shit goes down.  
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited August 2022
    Nestle water takes 58 million gallons of water a year in California.  Their water rights are for 2 million.  

Nestle water takes 58 million gallons of water a year in California.  Their water rights are for 2 million.  

The Arizona farmers got screwed a while back also w water.  There were rivers that fed the fields of Pima Cotton and Alfalfa.  The farmers agreed to "affordable water" for less of it but with the drought those farms now get nothing pretty much.
    brianlux said:
    jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Grandparents AND parents.  My pop (born in '21), his bother and their single mom were so poor that as a young kid, he and a friend of his roamed around town and picked up scrap metal and took it to the scarp yard for small amounts of change.  They figure out how to crawl under then fence at night and recover some of the scarps of metal and took it back a few days later for another little bit of money.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Grandparents AND parents.  My pop (born in '21), his bother and their single mom were so poor that as a young kid, he and a friend of his roamed around town and picked up scrap metal and took it to the scarp yard for small amounts of change.  They figure out how to crawl under then fence at night and recover some of the scarps of metal and took it back a few days later for another little bit of money.
    Brian I have heard stories like this from my older Aunts and Uncles too.  The things that they did to survive!  Not condoning any of it but man, what a crazy time it was.
    edited August 2022
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Brian I have heard stories like this from my older Aunts and Uncles too.  The things that they did to survive!  Not condoning any of it but man, what a crazy time it was.
    I heard a commercial the other day. No idea what they were selling,  I just remember the line “in tough economic times like this…”

people are pretty removed from any sort of real hardship (at least on that scale) today. 
    I’m convinced it the same reasons people don’t get the traditional vaccines anymore.  We are so removed from these things people forgot 

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

jhager79 said:
    dankind said:
    jhager79 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

I heard a commercial the other day. No idea what they were selling,  I just remember the line “in tough economic times like this…”

people are pretty removed from any sort of real hardship (at least on that scale) today. 
    I’m convinced it the same reasons people don’t get the traditional vaccines anymore.  We are so removed from these things people forgot 

That 100 ft ice wall is just there to keep the wildlings out.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden