Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:
    I keep getting boosters as well as getting Covid,what gives? I'm strongly feeling big pharma is making a killing by giving us all placebos!
    Vaccines reduce the risk of contracting, and reduce the severity of the illness. Note that nothing will reduce the risk to zero. 

If you're a gambler, stop taking it, and stop concerning yourself with the people who dislike gambling when their lives are at stake.

Would you feel shortchanged if you got a flu shot and the flu as well?
    Flu vaccines are somewhere around 60 percent effective depending on the strain/year and are wildly successful in saving lives.  

Vaccines are more a numbers game within a population not necessarily an individual thing.  People fail to get that .  As in the more people who are vaccinated the better protected you are vs being the only vaccinated person in town 

if you still get sick look to your neighbours not the vaccine 
    Polio vaccine is 99% effective, yet in some upstate NY counties populated by morons, only 60% of the people are vaxed.  And now there's a breakout including a paralyzed 20 year old.  Hope your conspiracy theory was worth it.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/05/new-york-polio-case-tip-of-iceberg-hundreds-of-others-could-be-infected.html
    Exactly 

my oldest got whooping cough at 3.  It was no joke he was sick for months and vaccinated.  It went on at least 4, maybe 5 months. Being around too many unvaccinated individuals and eventually he got it.

This was before covid but that was the last time any of my kids were allowed to associate with anyone unvaccinated.  Yes, we check.  Play dates and birthday parties or whatever.  At this point it’s nice as several other parents are the same so we have a pretty comprehensive list in our neighbourhood.

the public schools may offer an opt out, but socially and out of school those parents and kids are not invited to anything 

for some of this stuff, people who think if you get a vaccine and other peoples choices wont affect you is a pretty big gamble 

at 99 percent effective for polio sounds great.  That 1 percent is a pretty big risk though for a vaccinated person.  Who would get on a plane if you knew one out of every 100 flights would be a crash?  No one.
    unvaccinated people are still a danger to vaccinated ones 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    PCR test was negative. So I am going to take the win. 
    Whew! Good news. 
    Thanks. Now we wait for your good news. I know it is coming. 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    Third times a charm (?)!  Myself and three other family members have verified covid right now.  

I know a bunch of you hate pharmaceuticals but 2nd and third are bad but not nearly as bad as the first time.  Don’t get me wrong, I feel like shit but glad I did all 4 shots. 

Knock on wood, I’ve yet to test positive.  It’s gone through our house twice.  Half the family got it the first time, the other half the second time.  I’ve always tested negative.

everyone had/has their shots so it went reasonably well.  

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:
    I keep getting boosters as well as getting Covid,what gives? I'm strongly feeling big pharma is making a killing by giving us all placebos!
    Vaccines reduce the risk of contracting, and reduce the severity of the illness. Note that nothing will reduce the risk to zero. 

If you're a gambler, stop taking it, and stop concerning yourself with the people who dislike gambling when their lives are at stake.

Flu vaccines are somewhere around 60 percent effective depending on the strain/year and are wildly successful in saving lives.  

Vaccines are more a numbers game within a population not necessarily an individual thing.  People fail to get that .  As in the more people who are vaccinated the better protected you are vs being the only vaccinated person in town 

Polio vaccine is 99% effective, yet in some upstate NY counties populated by morons, only 60% of the people are vaxed.  And now there's a breakout including a paralyzed 20 year old.  Hope your conspiracy theory was worth it.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/05/new-york-polio-case-tip-of-iceberg-hundreds-of-others-could-be-infected.html
    Part of the problem and why there are so many who claim the vaccines don’t work is because they were originally sold as the final answer. For the first few months we were told if you get the vaccine you won’t get sick.
    And while it was very effective against the original strand, that was never completely true. And the variants came pretty quickly and with each one the vaccine was less effective. It’s like taking a 5 year old flu shot at this point.
    I have to believe greed and profit had some part to play. They created the vaccine in a few months but haven’t updated it in 2 years?  And from a business perspective, why would you? You’re still guaranteed billions in sales off an old product.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:

Part of the problem and why there are so many who claim the vaccines don’t work is because they were originally sold as the final answer. For the first few months we were told if you get the vaccine you won’t get sick.
    And while it was very effective against the original strand, that was never completely true. And the variants came pretty quickly and with each one the vaccine was less effective. It’s like taking a 5 year old flu shot at this point.
    I have to believe greed and profit had some part to play. They created the vaccine in a few months but haven’t updated it in 2 years?  And from a business perspective, why would you? You’re still guaranteed billions in sales off an old product.

the latest varient string only emerged in spring? think it maybe takes a minute to update the mrna  and do trials and get approval?

and the original still helps.... we are 2 1/2 years into this. 18 since a viable vax was approved even less for all age groups.

but no, of course you're right. its all greed and nothing more.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:

I don't understand who was told they wouldn't get sick.  It was public from the beginning that efficacy was in the 90% range.  Are Americans so stupid that we think 90% is "You're not going to get sick"?  

Regarding the changing of the vaccine, you're right it hasn't.  But if there are any changes, then it has to go back through FDA approval.  The problem is that the virus is mutating faster than science can create new ones.  And these particular strains are far less lethal, dampening the 'need'.  Last, of course, is the original vaccine can provide protection against BA.5, and studies show that depending on the number of boosters and whether you have boosters OR which strain you had previously, can change your risk level. 

Scientists and virologists are not miracle workers or magicians.  If someone is not taking the fucking Polio vaccine because Covid isn't eradicated, then they are morons.  If someone isn't taking the Polio vaccine period, they are morons.  If someone isn't taking the COVID vaccine because it isn't 100% and these mutating strains are too difficult for them to read and understand, then they are morons.  

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ba-5-what-we-know-about-protection-from-vaccines-and-previous-infections#What-to-know-about-BA.5
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    30,000 more dead Americans since May 22nd, when we reached a million. Gone by the Easter after POOTWH retakes the Oval.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:

I don't understand who was told they wouldn't get sick.  It was public from the beginning that efficacy was in the 90% range.  Are Americans so stupid that we think 90% is "You're not going to get sick"?  

Regarding the changing of the vaccine, you're right it hasn't.  But if there are any changes, then it has to go back through FDA approval.  The problem is that the virus is mutating faster than science can create new ones.  And these particular strains are far less lethal, dampening the 'need'.  Last, of course, is the original vaccine can provide protection against BA.5, and studies show that depending on the number of boosters and whether you have boosters OR which strain you had previously, can change your risk level. 

Scientists and virologists are not miracle workers or magicians.  If someone is not taking the fucking Polio vaccine because Covid isn't eradicated, then they are morons.  If someone isn't taking the Polio vaccine period, they are morons.  If someone isn't taking the COVID vaccine because it isn't 100% and these mutating strains are too difficult for them to read and understand, then they are morons.  

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ba-5-what-we-know-about-protection-from-vaccines-and-previous-infections#What-to-know-about-BA.5
    Well people also get sick and say they have the “flu”.  More often than not it’s not actually influenza.  They think the flu is a head cold and if Covid is like the flu then why get a vaccine.  

Doesn’t matter how you message the vaccine if people also don’t understand the other sickness that they are comparing covid to. 

If you’ve never seen someone with polio or who’s had the measles (which has a higher  mortality rate than covid) how can you even make an informed decision to decline it? For these diseases that are making a comeback, they really need to start showing those car crash videos they make you watch in drivers ed to students in health class of disease patients 

mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:

This has come up several times here. There’s plenty of video of Biden and others saying get the shot and you won’t get sick. I think even Fauci said it too, but I can’t remember for sure.
    I think most people understood it to mean you were unlikely to get sick. I’m just pointing out when the first vaccinated people did start to catch it, that was all the anti vaxers needed to say “see, it was a lie.”
    edited August 2022
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:

This has come up several times here. There’s plenty of video of Biden and others saying get the shot and you won’t get sick. I think even Fauci said it too, but I can’t remember for sure.
    I think most people understood it to mean you were unlikely to get sick. I’m just pointing out when the first vaccinated people did start to catch it, that was all the anti vaxers needed to say “see, it was a lie.”
    Maybe get the shot, and you won’t die would have been better and more true.

however as soon as an an unvaccinated person also doesn’t die they say  “see, covid isn’t deadly”

really you can’t win no matter how you try to explain it.  People who aren’t getting the shot aren’t getting it no matter what anyone says.
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:

the latest varient string only emerged in spring? think it maybe takes a minute to update the mrna  and do trials and get approval?

and the original still helps.... we are 2 1/2 years into this. 18 since a viable vax was approved even less for all age groups.

Yes. I don’t expect a vaccine for the latest variant. But seeing how quickly the first vaccine was made, surely if half the effort was put into updating it we’d have something more effective by now, something not almost 2 years old.
    Pfizer didn’t take upfront money, but instead accepted a deal where they were guaranteed billions if they did create a vaccine, which also allowed them to maintain ownership of the vaccine. Others accepted large amounts up front. Those incentives are no longer there, they are still selling millions of the original vax and boosters. I can’t be the only one to think big pharma is motivated by greed?
    Do I think they could create a vaccine that eliminates the newest strand? No. But do I think they could have something that does a better job of getting and spreading it? Probably. Do I usually get annoyed when people ask then answer their own questions? Absolutely.
    edited August 2022
    Moderna took government money and patented a portion of the process so technically they own theirs too I believe 

it was a massive screwup for the government to give them money without securing ironclad public ownership 
    Moderna took government money and patented a portion of the process so technically they own theirs too I believe 

it was a massive screwup for the government to give them money without securing ironclad public ownership 
    I just remember some lawsuits about how much ownership the government and the companies had. Can’t remember how they turned out. But it makes sense, you pay someone to create something for you, typically you’re the owner. At least part owner. But they should have straightened that out before hand, you’re right.
    I actually wouldn’t be surprised if that was intentional that it wasn’t clear beforehand. Probably would take away some of the competitive edge if they announced up front that if you utilize government funds (warp speed) they will take ownership of the product. Easier to let them compete to be the first then sue for ownership to recoup some of your investment. Would that surprise anyone if that was the governments strategy? 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:

Yes. I don’t expect a vaccine for the latest variant. But seeing how quickly the first vaccine was made, surely if half the effort was put into updating it we’d have something more effective by now, something not almost 2 years old.
    Pfizer didn’t take upfront money, but instead accepted a deal where they were guaranteed billions if they did create a vaccine, which also allowed them to maintain ownership of the vaccine. Others accepted large amounts up front. Those incentives are no longer there, they are still selling millions of the original vax and boosters. I can’t be the only one to think big pharma is motivated by greed?
    Do I think they could create a vaccine that eliminates the newest strand? No. But do I think they could have something that does a better job of getting and spreading it? Probably. Do I usually get annoyed when people ask then answer their own questions? Absolutely.
    New formulation targeting omicron plus older versions of the virus is expected to be available in the US in September. 

They have been working on this. Your expectations are unrealistic. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:

New formulation targeting omicron plus older versions of the virus is expected to be available in the US in September. 

It’s unrealistic to hope they update the Covid vaccine once a year like the flu?
    If you can predict what strain will be dominant I suppose.  Flu vaccines are always best guess AFAIK
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:

It’s unrealistic to hope they update the Covid vaccine once a year like the flu?

We have 80 years of experience with bivalent vaccines for influenza and it's still difficult to predict which strains will be most prevalent each year. We have twenty months of experience with vaccines for SARS CoV-2, a virus that has gone through multiple mutations even in the months since the scientists started work on making an Omicron version. Your expectations at this point are unrealistic.  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    orange kits was the first round of free test kits. expiration date of July 20. Positive line came on pretty quick.

Blue kit was the second round of free kits. Expiration 12/22.

Even faster , darker positive result.

Pfizer on board. X 4....

minor joint aches. sinus and today woke up with chills...

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    Best of luck mickey. My mum currently  has covid too
     She is doing ok. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Hope its mild and a quick, full recovery Mick.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:

We have 80 years of experience with bivalent vaccines for influenza and it's still difficult to predict which strains will be most prevalent each year. We have twenty months of experience with vaccines for SARS CoV-2, a virus that has gone through multiple mutations even in the months since the scientists started work on making an Omicron version. Your expectations at this point are unrealistic.  

You seem to keep up on this very well- better than me, that's for sure.  I've been on the fence about getting the 2nd booster.  My very bright and studious sister told me to get it NOW, my GP said maybe wait until closer to fall, my chiropractor shrugged his shoulders.  Sheesh- I'm clueless!  Can I get your 2 cents? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:

You seem to keep up on this very well- better than me, that's for sure.  I've been on the fence about getting the 2nd booster.  My very bright and studious sister told me to get it NOW, my GP said maybe wait until closer to fall, my chiropractor shrugged his shoulders.  Sheesh- I'm clueless!  Can I get your 2 cents? 

new varient included booster in the works. sometime this fall. who can say on approval time.

got booster 2 in june. plays well onto that timeline for possible eligibility....

testing postive today puts a wrinkle in that idea.

mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    joseph33 said:

new varient included booster in the works. sometime this fall. who can say on approval time.

got booster 2 in june. plays well onto that timeline for possible eligibility....

testing postive today puts a wrinkle in that idea.

Oh damn, M!  I hope you get over it quickly!  Take good care, man!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I'm holding out for an updated booster before I get my fourth shot.

I had such a bad reaction to my 3rd shot (Moderna) that I really only want to go through that again if it really counts.

I'm also confused as to the need.   I understand the antibodies dwindle over time, both from vaccines and infection, but the T-Cell's remember how to fight the virus, so getting sick, when you've had 3 shots and a case of covid is probably going to be pretty mild.

I dunno.. I don't want to be doing 2 shots a year for the rest of my life for this thing.
    Zod said:
    I'm holding out for an updated booster before I get my fourth shot.

I had such a bad reaction to my 3rd shot (Moderna) that I really only want to go through that again if it really counts.

I'm also confused as to the need.   I understand the antibodies dwindle over time, both from vaccines and infection, but the T-Cell's remember how to fight the virus, so getting sick, when you've had 3 shots and a case of covid is probably going to be pretty mild.

I dunno.. I don't want to be doing 2 shots a year for the rest of my life for this thing.

Oh, man, I hear you about that third shot.  Same here- it really kicked my butt.
    I'm still on the fence a bit but thinking maybe I'll go with  shot #4 in October or there about. 

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    mickeyrat said:
    orange kits was the first round of free test kits. expiration date of July 20. Positive line came on pretty quick.

Pfizer on board. X 4....

Feel better soon. I still don’t know if what I had was Covid (3 neg tests, 1 positive). But it took about 2 weeks to get fully back to normal. Make sure to rest and when you feel better take the advice you gave me - go buy some records 😄
    GlowGirl said:
    mickeyrat said:

Pfizer on board. X 4....

Feel better soon. I still don’t know if what I had was Covid (3 neg tests, 1 positive). But it took about 2 weeks to get fully back to normal. Make sure to rest and when you feel better take the advice you gave me - go buy some records 😄

yes maam.

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    mickeyrat said:

Pfizer on board. X 4....

Sorry to hear this…..take care and be better soon