*** Pearl Jam Berlin, Germany Fanviews 6/21/22 ***

Comments

• HaijayHaijay Posts: 297
    Were these not both curfew shows so far? Hyde Park will be as well, so those will only be two hours, as the other festivals will be. Maybe the arena shows will be closer to the 2 1/2 mark. But if they aren’t, well, we’ll prob be alive in the morning
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    edited June 2022
    Post edited by Sea on
  • JR86440JR86440 Posts: 732
    Band has earned right to do whatever they want. They are older. They sounded fucking amazing in Oakland. With that being said, it’s an end of an era and it kinda sucks because what set PJ apart from everybody was the 3 hour shows with varying set lists. 22 songs a night? I doubt I will be the only one that will cut down travel. I will still travel to see them but won’t be as much and will be much more selective. However, try to find a better show out there? Please don’t say Paul McCartney either. What Ed has to sing is MUCH harder than HeyJude..They are still the kings. They spoiled us, but if 33% reduction means they can play for another 10 years, I’m stoked for that 
  • cloudsnmarscloudsnmars Switzerland (for now) But from Aotearoa Posts: 113
    Fully understand them wanting to do shorter shows... I mean, 2hrs is pretty solid for a gig. But, if this is the norm.. would be great if they drop the covers and play all PJ tunes...doesn't make sense to do a Stones tune when the show is shorter than what we are used to..( and fans wanting to hear Black, Jeremy et al)
  • JR86440JR86440 Posts: 732
    Fully understand them wanting to do shorter shows... I mean, 2hrs is pretty solid for a gig. But, if this is the norm.. would be great if they drop the covers and play all PJ tunes...doesn't make sense to do a Stones tune when the show is shorter than what we are used to..( and fans wanting to hear Black, Jeremy et al)
    Agreed. Never mind songs like Off He Goes. LBC. In Hiding. Go. Heck, I think RVM has only been played once. They have way too many great songs. No need for covers..
  • LizJLizJ Posts: 334
    Fantastic show! Yesterday felt special. Such good energy. Band was in a good mood. Ed said that he was looking forward to playing this venue again, when he was at home and the shows were postponed. And you could tell that they really enjoyed it. Amazing crowd as well. We are going to sound great on the bootleg 😉. I was so happy for Roland and it was moving to see him and his family on stage. 
    The end felt a bit abrupt and you could sense the disbelief.
    On to Zurich  :)

• SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    Thank you everyone for sharing your fanviews. :heart:

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Please be nice to each other and do not derail topic integrity (see the Posting Guidelines). Thank you

• ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,877
    I understand that there are mixed feelings about the new 2 hours sets but now that I'm 50 I have to accept that I can't do things that I did in my mid 30s! A stupid example but after drinking too much when I was 35 led to a half day hangover. Now it would take me 2 days to get on my feet again...
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • SoenkeESoenkeE Posts: 6
    I understand that there are mixed feelings about the new 2 hours sets but now that I'm 50 I have to accept that I can't do things that I did in my mid 30s! A stupid example but after drinking too much when I was 35 led to a half day hangover. Now it would take me 2 days to get on my feet again...
    Couldn't have said it better ! Of course I would love to see them do 2,5-3 hour gigs, but from my point of view this is not realistic. Once again they left  yesterdy everything they had on the stage during their gig. Cannot ask for more .... great show !
  • Possible shorter on these first two shows as they were outdoor and may have strict curfews?
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,130
    It was so great to be back though they were great and Ed sounded fantastic.

New songs maybe didn't quite work in the location on the setlist but other than that I was happy with the setlist 

Shoter shows as others have said may be a bit disappointing for us that do lots of shows but for your average local fan im sure they won't be disappointed, though maybe don't play covers if it's a shorter set 
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 268
    Haijay said:
    Were these not both curfew shows so far? Hyde Park will be as well, so those will only be two hours, as the other festivals will be. Maybe the arena shows will be closer to the 2 1/2 mark. But if they aren’t, well, we’ll prob be alive in the morning
    Hyde Park 2010 was 27 songs and 2.5 hours. I think they're at the age when they're having to manage their stamina rather than shortening sets to accommodate curfews. 
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    Hope the band are reading this thread and correct this issue of short sets for Zurich. Also open with Hold on or Hard to Imagine 
    Kearnsy
  • PJKnopfPJKnopf Posts: 50
    The band started at about the same time as in 2018 when they played 2h35m until 22.30. So I hoped for something like that again but I heard some voices talking about a strict 22.00 curfew prior to the show. Yes, you can complain, e.g. why didn't they start earlier instead of having a nearly 1 hour break after the support act but hey: it was perfect weather, great crowd, one of the most beautiful venues in Europe, the band extremely tight, new songs sounding powerful, Ed's voice in fantastic shape, awesome moments (Roland)... I could go on and on so all I personally can say is: I never cried that much at a show just because I was there and lived that moment. Just my 2 cents, see you in Frankfurt. 

Rock im Park 2000 - Arnhem 2006 - Duesseldorf 2007 - Rotterdam 2009 - Amsterdam 2012 - Amsterdam 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Amsterdam 2017 (EV Solo) - Amsterdam 2018 - Berlin 2018 - Amsterdam 2019 (EV Solo) - Duesseldorf 2019 (EV Solo) - Berlin 2022 - Frankfurt 2022 - Amsterdam 2022
  • breakmarysfallbreakmarysfall Posts: 363
    edited June 2022
    Thank you Pearl Jam ❤️ thank you Berlin! 
    What a wonderful day & night it had been, what an epic show... still smiling and being moved by the sound! Although it might have been my 20+X show it was again a blast! I truly like how they performed Gigatron songs 🥰 but also got overwhelmed by classics and of course the intro+mfc... it was of its finest again!!! 
    But also the fans are wonderful! It was like the big re-union with shiny happy people all around! All just perfect and I am in love and very very thankful! Even some hope has grown- And has found its outlet in the master performance of Retrograde - my fave of last night ... so I/ we keep on rocking ... 
    VIVA Pearl Jam 🥰
    Post edited by breakmarysfall on
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    Haijay said:
    Hyde Park 2010 was 27 songs and 2.5 hours. I think they're at the age when they're having to manage their stamina rather than shortening sets to accommodate curfews. 
    Its an interesting one to consider as Bruce is still knocking out 3.5 hr shows of high energy in his 70's.

I do think we'll see far fewer people doing multiples shows on the new setlists, you never know the band might see some fresh faces at the front ;)

My good friend told me however that Berlin was AMAZING
  • cyrielbuyssecyrielbuysse Posts: 196
    Great show, they sounded tight. I like the klinghoffer addition, it adds an extra layer. Yes it was short in pj terms, but still 2 hours that flew by. Must have been curfew issue. And arent shows always a bit shorter by the start of the tour? Dublin 2006 was also only 23 songs. First shows of 2010 europe were also short.

Highlights: small town low light, great not for you, nothingman. Yellow ledbetter (first time ever with mike on les paul?) cut short, hope it was one time only. 
    2006 Arnhem - Antwerp - Paris 2007 Nijmegen - Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen - Arras - Werchter 2012 Amsterdam - Werchter - Arras - Berlin 2014 Amsterdam - Berlin - Werchter 2018 Pinkpop - London - Berlin - Werchter - London
    @BelgianPJfan
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 268
    edited June 2022
    pdalowsky said:
    Haijay said:
    Its an interesting one to consider as Bruce is still knocking out 3.5 hr shows of high energy in his 70's.

I do think we'll see far fewer people doing multiples shows on the new setlists, you never know the band might see some fresh faces at the front ;)

Agree with all of that. They'll still be great shows. But 2 hour sets of 22 songs is only a couple of tracks longer than what you get at a Stones show, and Mick and Keith are waaaaaay older. 
    Post edited by Gravey1975 on
    Quality over quantity ;-) 

Rock im Park 2000 - Arnhem 2006 - Duesseldorf 2007 - Rotterdam 2009 - Amsterdam 2012 - Amsterdam 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Amsterdam 2017 (EV Solo) - Amsterdam 2018 - Berlin 2018 - Amsterdam 2019 (EV Solo) - Duesseldorf 2019 (EV Solo) - Berlin 2022 - Frankfurt 2022 - Amsterdam 2022
  • maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Regensburg, Germany Posts: 214
    Probably it is not just us, but also the band who has to adjust to shorter shows. LA 1 did not feel rushed or too short for me and yesterday‘s show somehow did. I cannot say if the difference lay in the ~15 min LA 1 was longer or in the balance of the setlist (or in the fact that I was jetlagged in LA and was not yesterday). The statistic do - in my opinion - say little too nothing about the vibe and the energy of a show. And experiencing „short“ or „rushed“ is highly subjective. Structuring the show in a way, that there is ample time for the encores might help. 
  • saurighisaurighi Posts: 69
    I think last night was not about doing a shorter set, I believe they just had a hard stop at 10pm, as they clearly scrambled for time at the end.

Everything was amazing up to Porch 🤩
    It was 1 hour and 40 minutes of bliss ❤️
    The new songs were actually great and went well with the rest of the set.

Two points.
    The first one is about my expectations being unmet, which is only my fault. After Porch, I was expecting another hour. This was based on all the previous shows I attended. That is me being wrong.
    The second one is about them crashing the show into the 10pm hard stop. It just felt rushed for no reason. If they knew about it, then play 3 songs in the encore instead of 4 and have a more relaxed end to the show. 

Maybe mentioning the 10pm stop at the start of the show might have helped most of the fans adjust their expectations. 

To conclude, to me, what didn't work was not the "short" show, but the abrupt end.

On to Green Day tonight, then Zurich tomorrow and Imola Saturday ❤️

13/11/96 Milan - 16/06/14 Amsterdam - 25/11/15 Bogota - 29/05/17 EV Amsterdam - 21/03/18 Rio de Janeiro - 12/06/18 Amsterdam - 13/06/18 Amsterdam - 18/06/18 London - 24/06/18 Padova - 05/07/18 Berlin (AMAZING) - 08/08/18 Seattle - 10/08/18 Seattle (Spectacular) - 09/06/19 EV Amsterdam - 10/06/19 EV Amsterdam - 21/06/22 Berlin - 23/06/22 Zurich - 25/06/22 Imola - 25/07/22 Amsterdam - 11/09/22 New York
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    one_stone said:
    Ok... first show of the tour for me, 25th show total... mixed feelings... spectacular setlist, unpredictable start, mindblowing crowd as usually in Berlin ... but ... I know the shorter set would happen (based on the US shows) but still it felt like it was cut off in the middle... The YLB -> Alive transition didn't help - amazing to hear but the joke would have only worked (for me) if there would have been some songs following it. Maybe it's just adjustment that is needed, but I think if they stay below ~25 songs, I'll cut it down to 1 show a tour from 5 - 7 I do now. I understand that it has to happen, they can't keep playing 3.5h shows forever but it feels strange and a bit sad. Finishing with the positives: They sound incredible good (especially Quick Escape!), look fresh and it still feels like home singing along to the classics, covers and rarer traits! Highlight for me: Untitled/MFC, Nothingman and (an amazing version of) Corduroy + the Roland moment 
    That's a pretty good assessment. I hate to complain but the reduced time and reduced setlist variation does make it hard to attend more than a few shows.

I hit Oakland 1 and 2 and will try to see them in Nashville. I bought tix to Bourbon & Beyond but I might sell those since it will be a festival set (which isn't much different than a normal set now) and B&B is kind of miserable given the size and location.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,557
    PJKnopf said:
    Is that what is happening?  I haven't been to any of the shows this tour as the ones I planned for got cancelled, but listening to the boots and setlist watching, I would say that quality is not exactly making up for quantity.  It's been a long 4 years I guess since the days of 30 plus songs. 
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
    smithnic said:
    PJKnopf said:
    Is that what is happening?  I haven't been to any of the shows this tour as the ones I planned for got cancelled, but listening to the boots and setlist watching, I would say that quality is not exactly making up for quantity.  It's been a long 4 years I guess since the days of 30 plus songs. 
    I thought they sounded great at OAK1 and 2. Even with the drummer issue they were on it.

Immortality was the best I have heard live....it was great.

I understand reduced setlists I guess....I can't imagine singing for 2.5 to 3 hours a night several times a month so I won't fault Ed for that. I do wish they would mix up the setlist a bit and ditch the covers though. Replacing 2 covers with anything from Binaural, RA or ST would be stellar.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    edited June 2022
    pdalowsky said:
    Haijay said:

Springsteen hasn't played a full show since what, 2018?  Don't know if we can assume he'll still be knocking out shows that are 3.5 hours when he gets back out there.    
  • seanwonseanwon Posts: 264
    nicknyr15 said:
    Stop fucking complaining about 2 hour set lists. Enjoy what you have. 
    Stop constantly complaining about other people complaining 
    Stop complaining about people complaining about other people complaining.
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
    I  think it's much too early to already judge over the full tour. Currently in Europe we've seen one festival set at Pinkpop and one shortened set due to curfew reasons in Berlin. Let's wait for Zurich and Imola where curfew shouldn't be any kind of apology. 

PJKnopf said:
    I  think it's much too early to already judge over the full tour. Currently in Europe we've seen one festival set at Pinkpop and one shortened set due to curfew reasons in Berlin. Let's wait for Zurich and Imola where curfew shouldn't be any kind of apology. 
    I like your confidence but a curfew can be offset by starting earlier. I wasn't at the show but I read there was 60 minutes between White Reaper and PJ.

They have had consistent 22 song setlists this tour...that's what we are going to get

I like your confidence but a curfew can be offset by starting earlier. I wasn't at the show but I read there was 60 minutes between White Reaper and PJ.

They have had consistent 22 song setlists this tour...that's what we are going to get. 
    Agreed, but in German we say 'Hope dies last' ;-) 

PJKnopf said:

They have had consistent 22 song setlists this tour...that's what we are going to get. 
    Agreed, but in German we say 'Hope dies last' ;-) 

I like that!