WOKE

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    brianlux said:
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/16/politics/san-francisco-school-board-members-recall-election/index.html

This might not be the perfect place for this but not sure where else to put it.

Could San Francisco really head back into Rep hands?  The people have had enough it seems about everything and just want to vote opposite?

I don't think we have anyone here in the AMT that lives in Frisco do we?

I used to but...
    Don39t Call It Frisco by Herb Caen

:lol: 

HA!  Like people in Louisiana don't say Crawdads.  That is reserved for Texans apparently.  Mudbugs?  Well that appears to be a Mississippi thing.

It may well be because my relationship to San Francisco goes back 7 decades, but I honestly do cringe when I hear "Frisco".  There has been a long standing (but maybe weakening these days?) loyalty by those of us with long-time connections to San Francisco to such a degree that calling it "Frisco" was seen as being nearly as derogatory as using a racial slur for a person of color.  We have a connection with the city the way someone might connect with a loved one.  Those days are waning some as the city transforms and I really do miss my home city of old.  Sadly, all things must pass.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    brianlux said:
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/16/politics/san-francisco-school-board-members-recall-election/index.html

Could San Francisco really head back into Rep hands?  The people have had enough it seems about everything and just want to vote opposite?

I used to but...

I grew up in San Jose, I cringe when I hear it called Frisco. It's The City!! 
    brianlux said:

I used to but...

I grew up in San Jose, I cringe when I hear it called Frisco. It's The City!! 

Now we're talking!
    AMERICAN THEATRE  After 78 Years Is It Time for the Chronicle39s Little  Man to Retire

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I used to but...

HA!  Like people in Louisiana don't say Crawdads.  That is reserved for Texans apparently.  Mudbugs?  Well that appears to be a Mississippi thing.

It may well be because my relationship to San Francisco goes back 7 decades, but I honestly do cringe when I hear "Frisco".  There has been a long standing (but maybe weakening these days?) loyalty by those of us with long-time connections to San Francisco to such a degree that calling it "Frisco" was seen as being nearly as derogatory as using a racial slur for a person of color.  We have a connection with the city the way someone might connect with a loved one.  Those days are waning some as the city transforms and I really do miss my home city of old.  Sadly, all things must pass.
    When I lived in Cali we called it Frisco.  Mind you we were in Socal so we didn't know any better.  We heard it refer to it as the Bay area too.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I used to but...

When I lived in Cali we called it Frisco.  Mind you we were in Socal so we didn't know any better.  We heard it refer to it as the Bay area too.

I wonder how much of that was from that silly SF/LA rivalry?  In baseball, well, that was inevitable.  But in the music scene, there were strong ties.  The Bay Area gave birth to  The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and Quicksilver Messenger Service.  Southern California brought us The Doors, The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield.  We loved them all!

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I used to but...

I wonder how much of that was from that silly SF/LA rivalry?  In baseball, well, that was inevitable.  But in the music scene, there were strong ties.  The Bay Area gave birth to  The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and Quicksilver Messenger Service.  Southern California brought us The Doors, The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield.  We loved them all!
    Don't forget Metallica, Dead Kennedys, Operation Ivy and Rancid.

We also gave you Offspring, Sublime, Save Ferris, No Doubt, Kyuss, Face to Face.  
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I used to but...

Silly? Long before Trump was trying to make Mexico pay for a wall, we were calling for a wall South of Monterey and Fresno!  :D Maybe a moat too!  :p
  • Here’s a good summary of the SF school board recall. Granted, it’s from Mother Jones, but it gets to the main points/reasons for the recall without being politically partisan. Basically, the recall came down to incompetence:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/02/san-francisco-school-board-recall/
    That article was way better than the CNN one that is for sure.  Thanks for posting.  The segue article that can be put here wasthe one about the Murals.  That was a fascinating read.

It appears that people aren't sure what to be offended by and if removing them which shows actual history, would do more harm.

https://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/dont-whitewash-history/
    We are done w wokeness I guess?  This was a really good article.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I used to but...

Silly? Long before Trump was trying to make Mexico pay for a wall, we were calling for a wall South of Monterey and Fresno!  :D Maybe a moat too!  :p

Love it, haha!
    Well then....
    Make It So Picard GIF - Make It So Picard - Discover amp Share GIFs

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    Here’s a good summary of the SF school board recall. Granted, it’s from Mother Jones, but it gets to the main points/reasons for the recall without being politically partisan. Basically, the recall came down to incompetence:

That article was way better than the CNN one that is for sure.  Thanks for posting.  The segue article that can be put here wasthe one about the Murals.  That was a fascinating read.

It appears that people aren't sure what to be offended by and if removing them which shows actual history, would do more harm.

as usual here, it took a detour with the frisco business, which you also participated in.

so much of this idea of woke seems rooted in emotional reactionism.

For sure, many things need addressed. It would help if there was consensus on how that occurs.

understanding where a thing comes from and its motivation should be taken into account.

the above is a well written argument to that end.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    What detour?
    Oh, and...

• mickeyrat said:
    Here’s a good summary of the SF school board recall. Granted, it’s from Mother Jones, but it gets to the main points/reasons for the recall without being politically partisan. Basically, the recall came down to incompetence:

as usual here, it took a detour with the frisco business, which you also participated in.

For sure, many things need addressed. It would help if there was consensus on how that occurs.

understanding where a thing comes from and its motivation should be taken into account.

I would segue that article into indoctrination in teaching of kids and CRT too.

It is something we as a nation will have to reap in the coming years if we aren't careful in how we teach.

The article refers to the students wanting the murals removed because they depict slaves and the native Americans in what is perceived by them derogatory and racist.  This is what the kids view as offensive today, the image(s) of a slave and natives.  The mural is a metaphor and is a message of the brutality that the US had done to those people.

This is kind of what the repubs want to do to the curriculum, get rid of things like this.  The kids aren't even aware that what they want is what would be happening.

Thankfully a scholar came forth and described what everything meant in the murals and hopefully that everyone gets the message.  A simple plaque perhaps can be put up to explain these things?  I would do that w any statue that people want taken down too.  America has a dirty past and it's history should be taught that way.  CRT needs to be renamed to History, it's not critical and it's not a theory.

Very curious as to why the images were offensive to the students and if it was just a knee jerk reaction for them or reactionism as you pointed out.

Thoughts?

mickeyrat said:

It is something we as a nation will have to reap in the coming years if we aren't careful in how we teach.

The article refers to the students wanting the murals removed because they depict slaves and the native Americans in what is perceived by them derogatory and racist.  This is what the kids view as offensive today, the image(s) of a slave and natives.  The mural is a metaphor and is a message of the brutality that the US had done to those people.

This is kind of what the repubs want to do to the curriculum, get rid of things like this.  The kids aren't even aware that what they want is what would be happening.

Thankfully a scholar came forth and described what everything meant in the murals and hopefully that everyone gets the message.  A simple plaque perhaps can be put up to explain these things?  I would do that w any statue that people want taken down too.  America has a dirty past and it's history should be taught that way.  CRT needs to be renamed to History, it's not critical and it's not a theory.

Very curious as to why the images were offensive to the students and if it was just a knee jerk reaction for them or reactionism as you pointed out.

Thoughts?

Well, I think CRT should stay where it was formulated. At Grad level Law School..... Foster Critical Thinking instead.
    As for a more accurate raw teaching of our history, abso fucking lutely.

And its a very good thing that those images, not understood in artist intent, were found offensive. Means there's less sociopaths in the world.
    Back to critical thinking though, a first question clearly should be in the realm of WHY is that thing a thing?  WHAT would have led the artist(insert xyz) to paint such images. That example would have had a corollary teaching moment to teach elements of  art, how its created, messaging an artist tries to convey,etc. Basically, how to read and view art.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Thoughts?

Well, I think CRT should stay where it was formulated. At Grad level Law School..... Foster Critical Thinking instead.
    As for a more accurate raw teaching of our history, abso fucking lutely.

And its a very good thing that those images, not understood in artist intent, were found offensive. Means there's less sociopaths in the world.
    Back to critical thinking though, a first question clearly should be in the realm of WHY is that thing a thing?  WHAT would have led the artist(insert xyz) to paint such images. That example would have had a corollary teaching moment to teach elements of  art, how its created, messaging an artist tries to convey,etc. Basically, how to read and view art.

Critical thinking in essence is philosophy or problem solving.  Why it needs a shiny new name is beyond me.  Your last paragraph I couldn't agree with more.  That would be why the plaque is so important.  It would really help w the symbolism in the piece too.

As for CRT, my understanding is there are two forms of it.  The truth of what happened and I'm guessing what you think should be in law school, that the motives were racist?  The latter being taught to grad students?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    My take is that there's three different definitions of CRT but only one is correct.

1. CRT origins in law school dealing with systemic racism in law and the judicial system.

2. US history that makes people uncomfortable.

3. Segregating kids in schools and/or teaching them that blacks are oppressed and the white kids should feel guilty.

Number 1 is the only correct definition. Number 2 needs to happen. Number 3 might be happening anecdotally but is not in any school's curriculum despite fox news featuring parents ranting at school board meetings.
    My take is that there's three different definitions of CRT but only one is correct.

1. CRT origins in law school dealing with systemic racism in law and the judicial system.

2. US history that makes people uncomfortable.

3. Segregating kids in schools and/or teaching them that blacks are oppressed and the white kids should feel guilty.

Number 1 is the only correct definition. Number 2 needs to happen. Number 3 might be happening anecdotally but is not in any school's curriculum despite fox news featuring parents ranting at school board meetings.

how do you like your chicken served?

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    that's gold. I love one of the last lines...."I don't hate you, but I don't wish you any specific harm". that's lifted right from a Simpson's episode (unless they lifted it too). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

gift article.

written after the Mi State Senator went viral in her response on the floor to an opponents findraising ad.

mickeyrat said:
    gift article.

written after the Mi State Senator went viral in her response on the floor to an opponents findraising ad.

This was a fantastic article.  I agree with Carvelle here and that she made sense and not like other politicians speaking like robots and highlighting all the buzzwords.

What isn't mentioned about "wokeness" is the canceling or attacking a person whom did something 20 years ago and is not that person anymore.  The statue of limitations on wokeness doesn't exist yet and still can be a problem.  I can't imagine being fired from my job for something I said when I was in my 20's...

Senator McMarrow looks to have bridged the antiwoke crowd and woke together in how she explained herself.  Bravo.

mickeyrat said:
    gift article.

This was a fantastic article.  I agree with Carvelle here and that she made sense and not like other politicians speaking like robots and highlighting all the buzzwords.

What isn't mentioned about "wokeness" is the canceling or attacking a person whom did something 20 years ago and is not that person anymore.  The statue of limitations on wokeness doesn't exist yet and still can be a problem.  I can't imagine being fired from my job for something I said when I was in my 20's...

Senator McMarrow looks to have bridged the antiwoke crowd and woke together in how she explained herself.  Bravo.

a sculpture of limitations?  :D
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mickeyrat said:
    gift article.

a sculpture of limitations?  :D
    Ha!  I'm leaving that f up, lol!
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    Lenny Bruce is not afraid 

During live comedy set, Chris Rock finally lets loose on Oscars slap

Almost a year after Will Smith slapped Chris Rock at the Academy Awards, the comedian tells his version at Baltimore show

Nearly one year after the Oscar-night slap heard ’round the world, Chris Rock finally let loose with his thoughts about the incident Saturday in a stand-up special at Baltimore’s Hippodrome Theatre that streamed live on Netflix. After months of relative silence on actor Will Smith’s shocking assault on Rock during last year’s Academy Awards ceremony (when Smith walked up to the stage and slapped Rock, the telecast’s host, for telling a joke about Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith), Rock addressed it during his show in profane and emphatic terms. (The Washington Post’s standards on obscenities prevent a direct transcript.)

“Y’all know what happened to me, getting smacked by Suge Smith,” he joked.

Rock, who said he took the hit like boxer Manny Pacquiao, blamed Pinkett Smith’s “entanglements” for Smith’s outburst. “His wife was [having sex with] her son’s friend. I normally would not talk about this. … But for some reason, [they] put that … on the internet,” Rock said, referencing the couple’s public remarks about the infidelity in their relationship.

“She hurt him way more than he hurt me,” Rock said, joking that he still has “Summertime” (a rap hit Smith released in 1991 as part of DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince) ringing in his ear long after the slap.

Rock said Smith’s masculinity was then called into question, but it was Rock who wound up paying the price. “Everybody called him a b----,” he said. “And who’s he hit? Me. [Someone] he knows he can beat.”

Pinkett Smith was not spared from Rock’s criticism, either. Rock said it all started after comments she made in 2016, when he was hosting the Oscars a previous time. “She starts it … I finish it,” Rock said. (His version of all of this is sure to be finely combed over and debated in the days ahead.)

Rock ended the special with words of wisdom from his parents that prevented him from fighting back after Smith slapped him. “I got parents. And you know what my parents taught me? Don’t fight in front of White people.”

Lasting just over an hour, Rock’s set roamed over several hot-button topics, delivered in his trademark style. He talked about “woke” and “cancel” culture, and provided examples of “selective outrage” (“The kind of people who play Michael Jackson songs, but won’t play R. Kelly”) and other modern hypocrisies: “Typin’ out woke-a-- tweets on a phone made by child slaves.” He talked about opioids. He talked about Meghan Markle. He talked about women, abortion, O.J. Simpson, the Kardashians. He shared a personal story about his daughter getting expelled from an elite high school. He talked about the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol: “When did White men become victims? White men think they’re actually losing the country,” he said. “Did you see the Capitol riots? What kind of White ‘Planet of the Apes’ s--- was that?”

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    edited April 2023
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    "EvErYtHiNg Is ChAnGiNg AnD eVeRyOnE wAnTs To Be ReCoGnIzEd AnD aCcEpTeD aNd I cAn'T hAnDlE iT!!!"
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    "EvErYtHiNg Is ChAnGiNg AnD eVeRyOnE wAnTs To Be ReCoGnIzEd AnD aCcEpTeD aNd I cAn'T hAnDlE iT!!!"
    I know it's in jest but there are people that do feel like that, lol!
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    yeah i know. i guess this is why there is always generational conflict between younger people and older people. older people are so set because things have been a certain way their whole life and at some point they just can't adapt. fortunately i am still young enough to at least not be a dick to college and high school kids.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    yeah i know. i guess this is why there is always generational conflict between younger people and older people. older people are so set because things have been a certain way their whole life and at some point they just can't adapt. fortunately i am still young enough to at least not be a dick to college and high school kids.
    That's not what this is getting to.  Definitely not a get off my lawn moment.

There is a Black Mirror episode where the parent can turn off anything that may be upsetting to her child like a dog barking and scaring her or a person screaming.  It reminds me of the "triggers" that people want identified.

I'm on the side of inclusion but if you keep excluding things then what are we really doing?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    edited April 2023
    That's not what this is getting to.  Definitely not a get off my lawn moment.

There is a Black Mirror episode where the parent can turn off anything that may be upsetting to her child like a dog barking and scaring her or a person screaming.  It reminds me of the "triggers" that people want identified.

I'm on the side of inclusion but if you keep excluding things then what are we really doing?
    What’s being excluded? Other than confederate civil war statues?
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©