The Joe Rogan Thread

Comments

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    benjs said:
    Neil > Yucky Rogan

Can't find this anywhere online, and likely false, though not out of the realm of possibility from NY.
    Rolling Stone is posting likely false news stories about this. Maybe email them about it.
    More than happy to be proven wrong - apologies for the weak Googling abilities :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    One guy gets a hundred million dollars and the other gets 35 cents for everyone 10,000 streams of Cinnamon Girl sooooooooooo
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    “With an estimated 11 million listeners per episode, JRE, which is hosted exclusively on Spotify, is the world’s largest podcast and has tremendous influence,” the letter reads. “Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform, though the company presently has no misinformation policy.”
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Lol, that’ll show ‘em, Neil 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • AW124797AW124797 Posts: 641
    Spotify is bracing for a loss of 12 subscribers. At least younger generation will get a chance to Google uncle Neil. 
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Let's hope more artists follow suit.

Does Pearl Jam still have the heart?

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    More on Young/Rogaine/Spotify.
    Go Neil!

Neil Young demands Spotify remove his music over Joe Rogan vaccine misinformation

‘They can have Rogan or Young. Not both,’ writes musician in an open letter to his management that has since been taken down from his website

Neil Young has demanded that his music be removed from Spotify due to vaccine misinformation spread by podcaster Joe Rogan on the streaming service, saying: “They can have Rogan or Young. Not both.”

In an open letter to his manager and record label that was posted to his website and later taken down, Young wrote: “I am doing this because Spotify is spreading fake information about vaccines – potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them. Please act on this immediately today and keep me informed of the time schedule.”

Young specified that his decision was motivated by The Joe Rogan Experience, which is currently Spotify’s most popular podcast and one of the biggest in the world. Rogan signed a US$100m deal in 2020 giving Spotify exclusive rights to the show.

“With an estimated 11 million listeners per episode, JRE, which is hosted exclusively on Spotify, is the world’s largest podcast and has tremendous influence. Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform, though the company presently has no misinformation policy,” he wrote, adding: “I want you to let Spotify know immediately TODAY that I want all my music off their platform … They can have Rogan or Young. Not both.”

The letter was addressed to his manager Frank Gironda and Tom Corson, the co-chairman and chief operating officer of Warner Records, which releases Young’s music through its Reprise Records imprint.

Gironda confirmed the letter was authentic to The Daily Beast. “It’s something that’s really important to Neil. He’s very upset … we’re trying to figure this out right now.”

Last month, 270 doctors, scientists and healthcare professionals signed an open letter requesting that Spotify implement a policy for dealing with misinformation because of Rogan’s “concerning history of broadcasting misinformation, particularly regarding the Covid-19 pandemic”.

The letter cited an episode in which Rogan interviewed Robert Malone, a virologist who was involved in the mRNA vaccine technology that led to some of the leading Covid-19 vaccines but has since been criticised for spreading vaccine misinformation. Both men were criticised for promoting several baseless conspiracy theories, including the false claim that hospitals are financially incentivised to falsely diagnose deaths as having been caused by Covid-19, and Malone’s assertion that world leaders had hypnotised the public into supporting vaccines.

The Guardian has approached Spotify for comment.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    “With an estimated 11 million listeners per episode, JRE, which is hosted exclusively on Spotify, is the world’s largest podcast and has tremendous influence,” the letter reads. “Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform, though the company presently has no misinformation policy.”

Spotify has no idea the true cost of paying so much per listener, I’m sure there are plenty like me who would never consider switching from Apple for one simple reason, propagating misinformation by a meathead manipulator. With one move, they have become the Fox of music services
  • Or as Bob Lefsetz says: "Neil Young lit a match, will it turn into a fire? It depends on you."

https://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2022/01/24/neil-young-spotify-2/
  • brianlux said:

With an estimated 11 million listeners per episode, JRE, which is hosted exclusively on Spotify, is the world’s largest podcast and has tremendous influence. Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform, though the company presently has no misinformation policy,” he wrote, adding: “I want you to let Spotify know immediately TODAY that I want all my music off their platform … They can have Rogan or Young. Not both.

Jesus Christ. I didn't think he'd have that many listeners.

I actually think he's a good interviewer, but he rarely has anyone on that interests me. The only episodes I've listened to are James Hetfield, Josh Homme, Anthony Jeselnik, Bernie Sanders, and Undertaker from WWE. All were great interviews. If he had more guys on like that, I'd probably subscribe. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I didn’t even know young was on Spotify…I thought he was opposed to digital music, or wanted better quality digital music and was busy working in his lab on his pongo music player…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

With an estimated 11 million listeners per episode, JRE, which is hosted exclusively on Spotify, is the world’s largest podcast and has tremendous influence. Spotify has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform, though the company presently has no misinformation policy,” he wrote, adding: “I want you to let Spotify know immediately TODAY that I want all my music off their platform … They can have Rogan or Young. Not both.

I actually think he's a good interviewer, but he rarely has anyone on that interests me. The only episodes I've listened to are James Hetfield, Josh Homme, Anthony Jeselnik, Bernie Sanders, and Undertaker from WWE. All were great interviews. If he had more guys on like that, I'd probably subscribe. 

Early on, I like some of his interviews but eventually got tired of his narcissistic ego.  And now with him spreading false information about COVID, I have zero interest in listening to his self-centered b.s..
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Early on, I like some of his interviews but eventually got tired of his narcissistic ego.  And now with him spreading false information about COVID, I have zero interest in listening to his self-centered b.s..
    I just can't believe how many people would take his medical advice. Wasn't it Aaron Rogers that said he contacted Rogan about how to deal with Covid himself?

Most unvaccinated people will get through covid ok on their own but what is dangerous is them running to get ivermectin once diagnosed and then telling other people that it cured them. They would have been "cured" anyway so they perpetuate the myth.

My sister in law and her husband both have covid now. He made a trip to the ER yesterday because he couldn't breath. They prescribed him some antibiotics and something else to help his breathing and sent him home. Sister in law insists that she will be fine because she takes zinc.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    This is ridiculous imo. Are we really to the point where we have to babysit everyone? Tell them who not to listen to and who to listen to regarding this fuckin virus? “Waaahhh I don’t like what he’s saying. It’s either me or him”. He sounds like an elderly baby. 
    edited January 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    This is ridiculous imo. Are we really to the point where we have to babysit everyone? Tell them who not to listen to and who to listen to regarding this fuckin virus? “Waaahhh I don’t like what he’s saying. It’s either me or him”. He sounds like an elderly baby. 
    You mean like having to pass laws to make people wear seatbelts? Or helmets? Or put labels on cigarettes letting you know that they kill you?

Yes we are at that point.  We have been at this point for quite some time.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I’m more upset about the guy with YouTube channels dedicated to debunking his mass misinformation and explaining away his wrongly applied truths. 

Not that it will amount to anything but NY is going about it pretty much the only way he can. 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    What do you sound like?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    nicknyr15 said:
    You mean like having to pass laws to make people wear seatbelts? Or helmets? Or put labels on cigarettes letting you know that they kill you?

Not the same to me as being told who to listen to on a streaming service. I know you don’t like Rogan. Me, I don’t listen to Rogan or Neil Young. Reading the story comes off as ridiculous to me. That’s my opinion. “It’s either me or him” I can’t help but laugh at that. 
    edited January 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    What do you sound like?
    I don’t care. I’m stating my opinion. Same like you’ve been doing all morning. Clashing with anyone who thinks different about your precious  Neil Young. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Not the same to me as being told who to listen to on a streaming service. I know you don’t like Rogan. Me, I don’t listen to Rogan or Neil Young. Reading the story comes off as ridiculous to me. That’s my opinion. “It’s either me or him” I can’t help but laugh at that. 
    I wouldn't say that I don't like Rogan. I just don't like how he presents his fucked up version of facts related to the public health.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I also find the “it’s him or me!” stance to be spoken as a petulant child.

I know, I know! Flog me now :lol:
    hedonist said:
    I also find the “it’s him or me!” stance to be spoken as a petulant child.

I know, I know! Flog me now :lol:
    Lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I never gave Rogan a second thought until all this…

I started watching some of his podcast, he has some good guest.  I like the format.  

I enjoyed his Elon Musk and especially Dan Aykroyd (worth watching if you find the paranormal interesting)…

He is going no where…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I never gave Rogan a second thought until all this…

I started watching some of his podcast, he has some good guest.  I like the format.  

I enjoyed his Elon Musk and especially Dan Aykroyd (worth watching if you find the paranormal interesting)…

He is going no where…
    Lol Akroyd...I was saying Herkimer Diamonds for weeks after that episode
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    edited January 2022
    nicknyr15 said:

Interesting take, Nick.  He sounds to me more like a wise elder saying, "Fuck this guy for spreading information that is harmful to others," and then using his position as an well respected artist to make a difference- not because that is more important than his art (he has stated previously that he is a musician first before being an activist), but simply because he is in a position to do so, because he has the ability to use his visibility to do something positive.  Damn, I wish I had that opportunity.

I didn’t even know young was on Spotify…I thought he was opposed to digital music, or wanted better quality digital music and was busy working in his lab on his pongo music player…
    I was wondering this, too. I feel like I relatively recently couldn't find much of his stuff on streaming services. Was surprised to see how much of his catalog is up on Spotify and Tidal.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    didnt young sell the rights to his catalog?
    that would mean the owner of those rights has the say doesn't  it?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    didnt young sell the rights to his catalog?
    that would mean the owner of those rights has the say doesn't  it?

Good questions.

From what I can tell he sold 50% of the publishing rights so who knows what that means for how distribution decisions are made