Whiskey Clique

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    For anyone that is into Irish whiskey, is Redbreast 12 good and worth the price as a $65-$70 bottle?  My Irish whiskey experience stops at Jameson.
    Red breast is one of my favorites and well worth it.   If you like peat flavor try Connemara Irish whiskey.    
    Nice. Thanks for the tips. Looking to expand my Irish whiskey horizons a bit. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    For anyone that is into Irish whiskey, is Redbreast 12 good and worth the price as a $65-$70 bottle?  My Irish whiskey experience stops at Jameson.
    Red breast is one of my favorites and well worth it.   If you like peat flavor try Connemara Irish whiskey.    
    I heard green dot is also very good.  Irish whiskey is a little "thin" for me; I enjoy scotch much more.  Had a glass of jura 12 last night, just a little bit of peat and smoke in it.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    I buy my boss a bottle of Very Rare Middleton for Christmas every year.  It's $250 a bottle but she says it is the best she has ever had and she has tried a them all pretty much.
  • ISO Parkers Heritage Collection, Heavy Char Barrels, aged 11 years, wheat whiskey.

These bottles I here are fantastic.  Will only pay MSRP and not the 3-400 mark ups...

If you find one laying around pick it up.
    Parker39s Heritage Collection 11-Year-Old Heavy Char Wheat Whiskey coming in  September - Lost Cargo
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    I buy my boss a bottle of Very Rare Middleton for Christmas every year.  It's $250 a bottle but she says it is the best she has ever had and she has tried a them all pretty much.
    Whoa!  Definitely looking to keep at a price point well below that, but I'm sure it is damn good and appreciated by someone who knows Irish whiskey better than I do.

ISO Parkers Heritage Collection, Heavy Char Barrels, aged 11 years, wheat whiskey.

These bottles I here are fantastic.  Will only pay MSRP and not the 3-400 mark ups...

Parker39s Heritage Collection 11-Year-Old Heavy Char Wheat Whiskey coming in  September - Lost Cargo

These are highly allocated as I'm sure you know.  Wish I had one as well, but have zero thought of getting one at retail, being that they're all in the hands of consumers at this point.
  • bbiggs said:
    ISO Parkers Heritage Collection, Heavy Char Barrels, aged 11 years, wheat whiskey.

These are highly allocated as I'm sure you know.  Wish I had one as well, but have zero thought of getting one at retail, being that they're all in the hands of consumers at this point.
    I just learned about them.  Had zero idea.

You know I don't chase them but if I find it I'll buy and try it.

Reason it caught my attention was that someone likened it to WLW BTAC bottle and I am very interested if that is the case.
    ^Absolutely.  This wheated version probably has a lot of the same characteristics as a WLW or younger Pappy.  Parker's switches up the release every year and some have intrigued me more than others.  This is definitely one I wanted but struck out on.  Hope you track one down or get to try it at least.
  • bbiggs said:
    ^Absolutely.  This wheated version probably has a lot of the same characteristics as a WLW or younger Pappy.  Parker's switches up the release every year and some have intrigued me more than others.  This is definitely one I wanted but struck out on.  Hope you track one down or get to try it at least.
    Well if you've heard of it and missed then I have 2 chances of finding it, slim and none, lol.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Successful trip to my local Binny's.  Buffalo Trace single barrel store pick and Eagle Rare.  $70 total.  

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I received my first wedge glass over the holiday - what a cool concept! Popped open a bottle of Four Roses and had a nice drink New Years Eve! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I received my first wedge glass over the holiday - what a cool concept! Popped open a bottle of Four Roses and had a nice drink New Years Eve! 
    I can't drink cold whiskey...  Tastes too different to me.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I received my first wedge glass over the holiday - what a cool concept! Popped open a bottle of Four Roses and had a nice drink New Years Eve! 
    I can't drink cold whiskey...  Tastes too different to me.
    I didn't mind it! I don't normally either, but this was kind of fun! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    RS151862 said:
    What’s the deal with that one? All the whiskey memberships I’ve done I’ve felt to be a bit underwhelming, but I’d definitely be interested in a scotch one 
    You are better off going to your local and talking to them and buy your own.  I do that with Bourbons.
    Locals don’t get anything near what SMWS has to offer. 
    So I just looked into this.  These are barrel picks?  That is what I am seeing.
    Yeah, kinda.  They select barrels from pretty much every distiller in Scotland.  A lot of the barrels they select are the off-profile ones that don't fit the norm of their common releases, or an experiment that was tried 20 years ago that is now a beautiful thing but the distiller can't do anything with it because of the limited quantity.  They are all single barrel and cask strength.  Not impossible to find but most Scotches you find at the liquor store are not cask strength and many that will put you back $200 are sitting at 80 proof.  I purchased a 19 year old, single barrel, CS, Laphroaig from the SMWS a couple of months ago.  Easily the best Islay scotch i've ever had and it's not even something you could get from Laphroaig if you wanted to.  I've had some of the best bourbon you can find...not necessarily owned, but have had....and none of those even come close to some of the Scotches I've gotten from SMWS.  I'm not even joking.  I have a 33 year old Glen Moray that I consider to be the best whiskey I've ever had.
    Now, it is expensive.  $100/year membership and the low end bottles will cost you about $100, but it's amazing.  
    @mca47 would you suggest ardbeg 10? Looking to get my second islay.  I absolutely loved lap 10. Thanks bud.  
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    For those interested in Redbreast be aware there is a national shortage. It's out there but few and far between. 
    This our Redbreast section...

mcgruff10 said:
    @mca47 would you suggest ardbeg 10? Looking to get my second islay.  I absolutely loved lap 10. Thanks bud.  

Absolutely!  Ardbeg 10 is a great bottle.  After that, take a look at Port Charlotte 10 Heavily Peated from Bruichladdich.
    Then circle back to Ardbeg but purchase Ardbeg Uigeadail.  A little more money, higher ABV, I believe it's finished in Sherry barrels which adds more depth and complexity...soooo good!
    mca47 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Absolutely!  Ardbeg 10 is a great bottle.  After that, take a look at Port Charlotte 10 Heavily Peated from Bruichladdich.
    Then circle back to Ardbeg but purchase Ardbeg Uigeadail.  A little more money, higher ABV, I believe it's finished in Sherry barrels which adds more depth and complexity...soooo good!
    Awesome info, thank you.  I figure I'd get a bottle of lap 10 and ardbeg 10 the next time I hit a store.  What about bowmore 12 or caol ila? 

It's technically not an islay since it is the next island over but I really enjoyed the jura 12.  
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mcgruff10 said:
    mca47 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Awesome info, thank you.  I figure I'd get a bottle of lap 10 and ardbeg 10 the next time I hit a store.  What about bowmore 12 or caol ila? 

It's technically not an islay since it is the next island over but I really enjoyed the jura 12.  
    Did somebody call my name?

I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mca47 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Mmmmm!
    mcgruff10 said:
    mca47 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Both are good and both will come with a softer touch than say Laphroaig and Ardbeg.  Every time i have Bowmore 12, I always wish I could have it a cask strength (not even sure if they sell a CS 12).  You can just tell there could be so much more there at a higher proof.
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mca47 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Nice!  @dankind do you like lap or ardbeg better?
    That's like asking me to choose a favorite kid, Scruffy.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Come on man, we secretly all have our favorites.  ;)
  • mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    Dan likes the neighbors kid…
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    Dan likes the neighbors kid…
    Your butt stinks, and you smell like a butt. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    I think if comparing the "10s", I'm going Laphroaig by a hair.  Laph 10 CS and it's much farther apart.  That said, I think Ardbeg is doing more interesting things and their product line is better and more fun.  But top "interesting and fun" award goes to Bruichladdich.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    I have Caol Ila right now. Haven’t had Ardbeg or lap in a little while but I remember them being more peaty. Caol Ila is used in JW green so that’s probably why I like it. 

There are too many damn bottles of whiskey I want to buy. My current list is like 60 bottles, and there’s others I’d like to re-buy haha. P
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    @SVRDhand13 what s your top five under $100?
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    mcgruff10 said:
    @SVRDhand13 what s your top five under $100?
    Scotch I’m not knowledgeable enough to answer yet. But bourbon/rye I’ll go:

Old Forester 1920
    Makers Wood Finishing Series (currently FAE-02) 
    Barrell Dovetail (blended whiskey that’s sweeter) 
    Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
    New Riff Rye (Malted or Balboa if you can find them but small batch and single barrel are also great) 

I’m realizing one of these is 100 proof and the rest are 110 and up lol. 

severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2