The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited January 2022
    Also, I have a broken finger on my knife hand....no way I was able to cut the damn Daikon the way I wanted.  Got as close as I could.

And....pecorino Romano over the kanpachi was shockingly good.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Went back to the well....ono and kanpachi  this time.
    A few samples:

Wow. Looks amazing, and a really beautiful presentation. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Went back to the well....ono and kanpachi  this time.
    A few samples:

Impressive stuff! Looks delicious. I wish I had those sushi making skills. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Yeah that is truly impressive work. This is the best sushi work that’s been done in this thread 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Thanks.  Cut most of what was left up, earlier.  Wife had a lot for lunch, I dropped some in a poke marinade.  Look forward to dinner.  

In about 4 hours this will all be pot roast. 
    Oh yeah!
    Hoppin John time 

Pot roast is done. I will have to freeze most of it and eat it throughout the month. Yummy!!
    Looks  great
    Love It and dig the Dutch oven color 
    Love It and dig the Dutch oven color 
    Thanks. I like the blue as well. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Brett, those sushi spreads look frickin bomb!!
    Brett, those sushi spreads look frickin bomb!!
    Thanks!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Not quite as fancy, but getting back to making my own nigiri and tekka don.

Get_Right said:

That all looks great!
    Welp, you guys got me in.  Did a pound of the Ultra Ahi, Salmon and Kanpachi
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    Welp, you guys got me in.  Did a pound of the Ultra Ahi, Salmon and Kanpachi
    The Kanpachi is banging. Also really recommend the sword if anyone is in the grilling mood. IMO, it's not comparable to any sword I've had (saying a lot, after living in Boston for 30 years).

Is it the honolulu co you guys are raving about? Tempted. I live near a Japanese market that has great fish in manageable portions for typical prices so not sure I need three pounds of fish.  Looks great though.
    Get_Right said:

That all looks great!
    Thank you!  The nigiri is fluke with lemon, scallions and sea salt. The bowl is marinated bluefin over sushi rice with a bunch of green stuff LOL. Should of had some Ikura or Tobiko to brighten it up.  I was surprised how good my sushi rice came out. More to come.
    I love me some fluke.
    *and, some engawa....raw, slightly chopped at, and salted....none of the torch, for me!

Looks amazing.

Yes, the kanpachi was super good.  I think that and the salmon are the best ones I've  had .
    The carpaccio was ridiculous.   
    Get_Right said:
    Is it the honolulu co you guys are raving about? Tempted. I live near a Japanese market that has great fish in manageable portions for typical prices so not sure I need three pounds of fish.  Looks great though.
    Yeah, I have a couple spots I can get some stuff locally.  My typical fish spot at the Italian Market in Philly almost always has sushi grade tuna, but it's not as good as honolulu fish co, but I get it for poke bowls and stuff like that.

I have a new spot where I can get hamachi from and did that once, and it was awesome.  They have sushi grade salmon from time to time too.  Plan to do that a bit more
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

That all looks great!
    Thank you!  The nigiri is fluke with lemon, scallions and sea salt. The bowl is marinated bluefin over sushi rice with a bunch of green stuff LOL. Should of had some Ikura or Tobiko to brighten it up.  I was surprised how good my sushi rice came out. More to come.
    I have been hit and miss with sushi rice but hoping to do well with it Friday.  From what I can see in the bowl there, it looks good!

Gonna hit the Asian supermarket up by me before Friday to pick up some Tobiko and all.  Haven't incorporated in that into any of my home sushi nights yet
    I love me some fluke.
    *and, some engawa....raw, slightly chopped at, and salted....none of the torch, for me!

Looks amazing.

Yes, the kanpachi was super good.  I think that and the salmon are the best ones I've  had .
    I plan on doing that. Olive oil, pecorino and cilantro?
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

That all looks great!
    I have been hit and miss with sushi rice but hoping to do well with it Friday.  From what I can see in the bowl there, it looks good!

Gonna hit the Asian supermarket up by me before Friday to pick up some Tobiko and all.  Haven't incorporated in that into any of my home sushi nights yet
    Thank you! I learned this time that less sushi vinegar and more patient mixing helps. I also think ceramic makes a better container than wood for mixing.  Now if I could just master the art of getting the rice to be the same size each and every time!
    I love me some fluke.

Looks amazing.

I plan on doing that. Olive oil, pecorino and cilantro?
    Yes, indeed.  
    edited January 2022

I use this with my sushi rice and like the results.
    Wash gently about 5 times.  Let soak for 30 and then equal parts rice and water in the rice maker.
    When done I cool in the wooden thingy and pour in the seasoning and shuffle the rice around.  Usually  is pretty good although some times better than others.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on

• I use this with my sushi rice and like the results.
    Wash gently about 5 times.  Let soak for 30 and then equal parts rice and water in the rice maker.
    When done I cool in the wooden thingy and pour in the seasoning and shuffle the rice around.  Usually  is pretty good although some times better than others.
    What in thee hell is Sushi seasoning?  Is that Whale pee?

I need to google what this sorcery is...

What in thee hell is Sushi seasoning?  Is that Whale pee?

I need to google what this sorcery is...
    It is an easy way to bypass making your own sushi rice vinegar.  
    This in and of itself is not difficult....but sometimes it helps to cut a corner or two to make the whole process take less time and work and be more enjoyable.
    The first night with the fish is especially  challenging to enjoy, because of the work and then getting the stuff to my wife and kid to see them occupied so that I can make some, sit, and eat.

I get it. I buy bottled BBQ sauce, various dipping sauces, marinades, condiments, rubs, prepared side dishes, and salad dressings for convenience. Something about making sushi says no.  Rice vinegar, sugar, and salt.  Find the balance and feel the edomae spirit LOL.