I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

On the Beach might be my favorite
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Update from Discord on that box set that I completely forgot I ordered…

Boxset Update 12/10/21

We are pleased to announce that after being held up at the port for nearly six weeks, the vinyl has finally been delivered to the plant where the boxsets will be assembled. The project is now in line to be completed and the company doing the work is estimating that we’ll have the finished pieces ready to ship in late January/early February.

Please be aware that shortages and delays are still holding things up and it’s possible that the release will be pushed back even further, but we’re hoping that this schedule will hold and we’ll finally be able to deliver #200.  

Thanks again to all of you who have pre-ordered and have been so patient about the situation!

Sounds exciting!  What's in it?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Two great NY albums there!  Congratulations!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:

Yeah i have them in "original pressings" or whatever. Pressing from back when at least. But thinking why not get all the reissues of the 70s albums. Will try to find them all. But kind of expensive.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianlux said:
    Update from Discord on that box set that I completely forgot I ordered…

Boxset Update 12/10/21

We are pleased to announce that after being held up at the port for nearly six weeks, the vinyl has finally been delivered to the plant where the boxsets will be assembled. The project is now in line to be completed and the company doing the work is estimating that we’ll have the finished pieces ready to ship in late January/early February.

Please be aware that shortages and delays are still holding things up and it’s possible that the release will be pushed back even further, but we’re hoping that this schedule will hold and we’ll finally be able to deliver #200.  

Thanks again to all of you who have pre-ordered and have been so patient about the situation!

Sounds exciting!  What's in it?
    The first 6 singles so you have the Teen Idles that has McKaye and Rollins in it.  Minor Threat, Youth Brigade, SOA, Govt Issue.  Just some really great songs that started the whole DC hardcore movement and put Dischord on the map.
    brianlux said:

Yeah i have them in "original pressings" or whatever. Pressing from back when at least. But thinking why not get all the reissues of the 70s albums. Will try to find them all. But kind of expensive.

I wonder which sound better/ are pressed better?  The early pressings or the reissues?

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I wonder which sound better/ are pressed better?  The early pressings or the reissues?
    I think the reissues,  hands down.  The vinyl itself feels better.  I have about 5 OGs before I flipped to the reissues. The originals are good,  but a fresh master,  virgin vinyl makes a difference. 
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I think the reissues,  hands down.  The vinyl itself feels better.  I have about 5 OGs before I flipped to the reissues. The originals are good,  but a fresh master,  virgin vinyl makes a difference. 

If I were a true blue capitalist (bookseller=capitalist) I would sell all my original Neil Young LPs, buy reissues, and pocket the cash or buy more albums, LOL!  But I'm too sentimental.  These records have gone many miles with me!

• mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

But old masters affects/distorts the sound from the original intent just by the matter of the tapes aging? Does it not?

Could be wrong. 

I will get the 6-7 first albums reissues. WILL NOT CARE ABOUT THE 80s. Call me crazy. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

But old masters affects/distorts the sound from the original intent just by the matter of the tapes aging? Does it not?

Could be wrong. 

I will get the 6-7 first albums reissues. WILL NOT CARE ABOUT THE 80s. Call me crazy. 

Not even Freedom?
    Neil Young Freedomjpg

mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Could be wrong. 

Sure maybe.  The questions are:

1. Is the master degradation better or worse than the old, cheap vinyl that was used in the US in the 70s and 80s
    2. Can you find an OG that is clean, shiny and as in good of shape as a remaster

So for me, there are definitely some artists where I see out the original because I know the remasters are digital in some way.  Perfect example are the Rolling Stones.  If you can find an original in great shape, I think it's much better than the remasters.  Others, like Neil and Bruce, have good originals and good remasters.  So in that case, I usually go the remaster because you know the condition and there is less guesswork. 
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

If I were a true blue capitalist (bookseller=capitalist) I would sell all my original Neil Young LPs, buy reissues, and pocket the cash or buy more albums, LOL!  But I'm too sentimental.  These records have gone many miles with me!
    I think if you have a good, clean OG, you keep it!  Like I said above, the problem for someone making this decision is what kind of condition is this 50 year old vinyl really in.  So that's why if you can get an analog reissue, I tend to go that direction.  Discogs is just the greatest resource as well.  I love that site. 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited December 2021
    I think new AAA cut releases are a much better way to go instead of trying to find clean originals. AAA is the key. But I have heard some VERY good digitally sourced records from certain engineers. (KPG, CB, and RKS) I am always intrigued when these guys initials are in the runout.
    Post edited by MedozK on
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I think if you have a good, clean OG, you keep it!  Like I said above, the problem for someone making this decision is what kind of condition is this 50 year old vinyl really in.  So that's why if you can get an analog reissue, I tend to go that direction.  Discogs is just the greatest resource as well.  I love that site. 
    Yes, despite some problematic purchases, Discogs is great.  I've for sure had more good purchases than bad and the information there is terrific.  The only thing I would like to see there is more record reviews. 
    MedozK said:
    I think new AAA cut releases are a much better way to go instead of trying to find clean originals. AAA is the key. But I have heard some VERY good digitally sourced records from certain engineers. (KPG, CB, and RKS) I am always intrigued when these guys initials are in the runout.

I guess AAA's are somewhat hard to find due to tape degradation.  And you're right, some of the digitally sourced LPs are fine, plus most vinyl LPs tend to be less compressed than CDs, so I bias towards vinyl.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yes, despite some problematic purchases, Discogs is great.  I've for sure had more good purchases than bad and the information there is terrific.  The only thing I would like to see there is more record reviews. 
    MedozK said:

I guess AAA's are somewhat hard to find due to tape degradation.  And you're right, some of the digitally sourced LPs are fine, plus most vinyl LPs tend to be less compressed than CDs, so I bias towards vinyl.
    Right,  cd maxes at 16/44, so a hq digital pressing is still better than a cd. 

I also think that we're all conditioned to the coloring of vinyl,  through our cartridge, phono stage,  etc. So there's natural bias where even a digital pressing will sound better to us than an HD flac.  At least for me. 
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

MedozK said:

Right,  cd maxes at 16/44, so a hq digital pressing is still better than a cd. 

I also think that we're all conditioned to the coloring of vinyl,  through our cartridge, phono stage,  etc. So there's natural bias where even a digital pressing will sound better to us than an HD flac.  At least for me. 

Agreed!

So stoked to have this!

Death (8) – N.E.W.

Label:Tryangle Records – TRY-1217178
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album
    Released:2015
    Genre:Rock, Funk / Soul, Blues
    Style:Rock & Roll

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    A coworker saw my Pearl Jam posters on my office wall yesterday. We started talking about music and he said he had an original 94 press of Vitalogy that he hadn’t listened to since he bought it in 94 because he didn’t really like it. He said if I wanted it, he would sell it to me for $30. So right now I am at home listening to my 94 press of Vitalogy. It has a tiny bit of crackling in the quiet spots, but not too bad considering the age. I have a friend with a spin cleaner, so I am going to have give it a good cleaning. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    A coworker saw my Pearl Jam posters on my office wall yesterday. We started talking about music and he said he had an original 94 press of Vitalogy that he hadn’t listened to since he bought it in 94 because he didn’t really like it. He said if I wanted it, he would sell it to me for $30. So right now I am at home listening to my 94 press of Vitalogy. It has a tiny bit of crackling in the quiet spots, but not too bad considering the age. I have a friend with a spin cleaner, so I am going to have give it a good cleaning. 
    Congrats. That is a great score. My friend in my building texted me today that someone subletting an apartment here has a huge record collection that they may be trying to sell. She said that he worked at Tower before they closed and came away with a lot of stuff, and then opened his own small shop that closed a while back. She said he showed her an OG press of The Sex Pistol's Never Mind the Bolloks that he said was worth $1000. So, his collection may be too pricey for me - but I sent him a text, and I hope he will let me check out what he is selling.

An original Vitalogy smokes the reissue. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    mrussel1 said:
    Even with a little crackle is sounds good. I have the reissue. I need to do some comparative listening this weekend to see how different they are. 
    mrussel1 said:

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    GlowGirl said:
    Congrats. That is a great score. My friend in my building texted me today that someone subletting an apartment here has a huge record collection that they may be trying to sell. She said that he worked at Tower before they closed and came away with a lot of stuff, and then opened his own small shop that closed a while back. She said he showed her an OG press of The Sex Pistol's Never Mind the Bolloks that he said was worth $1000. So, his collection may be too pricey for me - but I sent him a text, and I hope he will let me check out what he is selling.

yeah. Sounds like some great stuff at prices at or above market. Better off not looking! 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    I love these stories. Way to go!!
    Definitely looking forward to getting these spinning on the TT tomorrow!

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507

1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

I have got to stop buying so much vinyl. 

Purple Rain - Target KG Cut
    Red - Target Red Vinyl
    I Got Dem Ol' Kozmic Blues Again Mama! - VG+ used (my copy was VG at best)
    Lush Life - AP KG Cut (180g)
    Rollins Plays for Bird - AP KG Cut (180g)
    Rejuvenation (The Meters) - VMP AAA
    Carnegie Hall Concert (Buck Owens) - VMP KG Cut AAA
    The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady (Mingus) - AS AAA
    Vault #50
    Scaled and Icy (Twenty One Pilots) - Target white vinyl

MedozK said:
    I have got to stop buying so much vinyl. 

Purple Rain - Target KG Cut
    Red - Target Red Vinyl
    I Got Dem Ol' Kozmic Blues Again Mama! - VG+ used (my copy was VG at best)
    Lush Life - AP KG Cut (180g)
    Rollins Plays for Bird - AP KG Cut (180g)
    Rejuvenation (The Meters) - VMP AAA
    Carnegie Hall Concert (Buck Owens) - VMP KG Cut AAA
    The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady (Mingus) - AS AAA
    Vault #50
    Scaled and Icy (Twenty One Pilots) - Target white vinyl

Did you pass on the LT 58 and Blonde on Blonde MOFI?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Gibson said:

Where'd ya grab that matt good?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD