Cancer, and me.

hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
I wanted to share this here, as I've come to know and grow fond of some of you over these many years.

So, I recently found out I have it.

It's stage 2 or 3 throat cancer (upcoming PET scan will determine its "class" and whether it's spread beyond the lymph nodes in my throat).  I know this is part of life; I'm not so special to think I would be passed by...if that makes sense.

Because of the cirrhosis, we're hesitant to go the surgery/radiation route (plus I'd much prefer to keep my lymph nodes along with other body parts), which would mean radiation five times a week for eight weeks, along with low-dose chemo.  Should be starting in the next couple of weeks.

It's funny, I'm nervous but not.  I know that after the past almost-five years and how far I've come since, I can handle this next step on my journey to....?  Well, I will handle it.  I'm fortunate to have a rock of a husband and great team of doctors.  I've also had wonderful examples of grace under this kind of pressure from people I know/knew and admire, from my late father and cousin, to another cousin, and our very own Wob.

So, that's it for now :peace:

Comments

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,482
    You are special.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Malroth said:
    You are special.
    Thanks, Mal. If I am, then everyone is ;)
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,168
    good luck with everything.  You seem to have such a positive attitude and it’s wonderful you have such a good support team.  Be well 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,289
    one foot in front of the other......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Thanks, guys.

mickey, at least I’m sure this won’t send me back to the booze!
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,279
    I know Hedo, your a hell of a girl. Let us know how your Jewish holiday celebration you were looking forward to goes. That's nice that you light candles for your dad (and other reasons including faith). I'm glad you have faith to lean into and gain strength and serenity from.

We're here for you when you need us. I have come to love and appreciate you, especially your quick wit, good temper, wisdom, intelligence, humor, and artistic expressive flair.

Hugs girlfriend ❤ 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    My dad beat throat cancer 23 years ago.   He also did the radiation/chemo treatment.  He had an amazing spouse by his side and it sounds like you do too.  You got this!
  • Wishing you nothing but the best.  Keep up the good fight h! 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    You are a warrior, Hedo. You definitely got this!! It sounds like you have a wonderful support system at home. But you have us as well. Keep that positive attitude. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Know how strong you are, and who you have at your side there.  We are with you each step.
    Much love, my friend.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Sorry to hear this. Stay strong, we're all here for you xxx
  • This was heavy and thx for sharing with us all.  I am extending good thoughts and a virtual hug your way Hedo.
  • Fuck cancer, kick it's ass, Hedo. 
  • I think you're capable of spontaneous remission, but yeah the radiation/chemo is a solid backup plan. You will prevail, lady.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Throat cancer is no match for a Jedi.

You’ve got this!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    So sorry you are dealing with this...best wishes to you. Fight it hard!
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,825
    Thinking of you. Lean on your support. Kick it's ass.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Sorry to hear you are dealing with this but best wishes to you and yours. You got it!

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    damn, hedo :bawling:

I’m confused by your first post….you are or are not going the radiation/surgery route? I remember being half pissed when I was being “mapped” for radiation and being told to move centimeters in this direction and that. And then I realized how lucky I was to have access to this multi-million dollar machine. Same with the PET scan.

with a great team and great medicine, you’ll beat this! I asked a nurse if a great attitude could cure me….he said, “no, but a bad attitude will kill you.” So, I kept my usual sunny outlook on life! :smiley:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    You all make me….smile.

And leave me at a goddamn loss for words.

Seriously, thank you :hug:
    Wobbie said:
    damn, hedo :bawling:

I’m confused by your first post….you are or are not going the radiation/surgery route? I remember being half pissed when I was being “mapped” for radiation and being told to move centimeters in this direction and that. And then I realized how lucky I was to have access to this multi-million dollar machine. Same with the PET scan.

with a great team and great medicine, you’ll beat this! I asked a nurse if a great attitude could cure me….he said, “no, but a bad attitude will kill you.” So, I kept my usual sunny outlook on life! :smiley:
    Oh, Mr. Sunshine =)

Treatment will be two of the following: surgery, radiation, chemo. Surgery itself is a bit risky given the state of my body, so it looks like radiation and chemo will be the way to
    go.

I just want to get it going already so I can kick that fucker to the curb.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362
    So sorry to read this. That being said, your attitude and support group will help you immensely. Sending best wishes to you, Hedo. Kick its ASS! 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,511
    Life is sooooo full of everything. Thanks for sharing this with my dumb a... Lots of whatever you need whenever you need it. 
    :)
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    praying for the best :smile:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    Sorry to hear this news Hedo. But you can will beat this. Your attitude seems to be where it should...take the fucker head on and beat it.
    I look forward to you joining me, Wobbie and others as official "survivors". Sounds like your husband is great support, which is awesome. We are all happy to be your online support.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Wishing you all the best. My thoughts are with you.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    poncier…..you’re still my nemesis…..but I didn’t realize you also had gone through this. :hug:

morning :hug: for hedo, too.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,289
    Wobbie said:
    poncier…..you’re still my nemesis…..but I didn’t realize you also had gone through this. :hug:

morning :hug: for hedo, too.

keep your distance. she'll  be immunocompromised.

wave from over there....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14