Cancer, and me.

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    You got this!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    You are one strong women!! I know you can do this. Quitting smoking is not easy, but I know you can do it. How are you feeling otherwise?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    GlowGirl said:
    You are one strong women!! I know you can do this. Quitting smoking is not easy, but I know you can do it. How are you feeling otherwise?
    Thanks for asking; I’m a bit nervous and my throat hurts more each day. “It’ll get
    worse before it gets better.”  I know, I know! :lol: This is good practice, in a way. 
  • hedonist I sent u a private message. 
    At least i think i did. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    hedonist I sent u a private message. 
    At least i think i did. 
    On my wall ;) It is appreciated, Speedy.  
  • hedonist said:
    hedonist I sent u a private message. 
    At least i think i did. 
    On my wall ;) It is appreciated, Speedy.  
     =) 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,043
    hedonist said:
    I wanted to share this here, as I've come to know and grow fond of some of you over these many years.

So, I recently found out I have it.

It's stage 2 or 3 throat cancer (upcoming PET scan will determine its "class" and whether it's spread beyond the lymph nodes in my throat).  I know this is part of life; I'm not so special to think I would be passed by...if that makes sense.

Because of the cirrhosis, we're hesitant to go the surgery/radiation route (plus I'd much prefer to keep my lymph nodes along with other body parts), which would mean radiation five times a week for eight weeks, along with low-dose chemo.  Should be starting in the next couple of weeks.

It's funny, I'm nervous but not.  I know that after the past almost-five years and how far I've come since, I can handle this next step on my journey to....?  Well, I will handle it.  I'm fortunate to have a rock of a husband and great team of doctors.  I've also had wonderful examples of grace under this kind of pressure from people I know/knew and admire, from my late father and cousin, to another cousin, and our very own Wob.

So, that's it for now :peace:

good luck with everything. hope it turns out well for you.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Thanks, xavier. Me too!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,768
    hedonist said:
    On day 4 of no more smoking. Probably not the best timing stress-wise, but sure is a test of my will. After forty years and the slap of cancer, I’d say it’s time, no?

I’m proud of myself for doing this, no matter how late in the game. It is SO goddamn hard though. I did not expect the extreme mood swings and how difficult it is riding out each urge. But I have to do this, for myself.  

Not giving up cannabis — fuck knows I’m gonna really need it in the next few months — though most likely going with edibles and tinctures. 
    I was a 40+ year smoker too and it will be 3 years January 4, 2022 since my last cigarette.  I am using Juul though, it is just the nicotine; no more tar or tobacco.  But with your situation, I don't know if that is an option for you.  But even if you just took a hit once in a while to satisfy the craving . . . I don't know.  All I know, is it has worked for me 100%.  The danger of cigs is the carcinogens not necessarily the nicotine.  I was told by a doctor that nicotine addiction is the same as caffeine addiction and probably 50+% of the world have that addiction.  But with your throat cancer, not sure you should be doing anything like that at all.  Have you tried Nicorette?  All I know is my lungs are much better, I lost my smokers cough w/i a month or two. I'm flabbergasted, never thought I could do it.
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Thanks for asking; I’m a bit nervous and my throat hurts more each day. “It’ll get
    worse before it gets better.”  I know, I know! :lol: This is good practice, in a way. 
    I am sorry your throat is in pain. I am sure that the stress of all this is making it even harder to quit smoking. Are you using the patch or gum to help you out. I will say it again, your attitude is stellar. 
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:
    GlowGirl said:
    I am sorry your throat is in pain. I am sure that the stress of all this is making it even harder to quit smoking. Are you using the patch or gum to help you out. I will say it again, your attitude is stellar. 
    GG, no patch or anything — straight quitting, baby! I don’t even drink anything caffeinated so don’t want something putting nicotine in my body. I tell ya though, I haven’t been this tired since I first got sick more than four years ago. 

P&E, good on ya! I’m using a vape for cannabis but will be switching to non-smoking methods. It’s just too hard on my throat…although while I’m able, light vape hits for much better walks/workouts. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Cancer sucks.   Best wishes for good treatment and speedy recovery..
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Thanks. I bought a small “fuck cancer” sticker (among others) for my cane. 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    Don’t know if it’s an option for you but Wellbutrin worked unbelievably well for me and gave me energy plus took the edge off the mood swings and cravings to the point of almost none.  Been over three years for me and still take it for the energy and mood enhancer due to medical issues.  Thinking bout you…..keep us posted. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,348
    good (((((vibes)))), hedo!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    hedonist said:
    Thanks. I bought a small “fuck cancer” sticker (among others) for my cane. 
    You got a great attitude.  You got this…
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Don’t know if it’s an option for you but Wellbutrin worked unbelievably well for me and gave me energy plus took the edge off the mood swings and cravings to the point of almost none.  Been over three years for me and still take it for the energy and mood enhancer due to medical issues.  Thinking bout you…..keep us posted. 
    Thank you! Three years — that’s impressive.  I’m determined to do this without any kind of supplements. Been six days :)

Wob, you know I’ll take them! Today I find out about this asshole’s stage, the treatment plans, and when I start.
    hedonist said:
    Thank you! Three years — that’s impressive.  I’m determined to do this without any kind of supplements. Been six days :)

Wob, you know I’ll take them! Today I find out about this asshole’s stage, the treatment plans, and when I start.
    Good luck with your appointment today, and the treatment plan. I will be thinking of you!

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,277
    How long will it take for you to kick that c@nt to the curb?
    You know what the little fucker hasn’t done? Metastasized!

It’ll take five days a week for seven weeks, plus some low-dose chemo, starting the week of new year’s.

I’m warning you all now: I’m gonna be looking real purdy :lol:
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,283
    pics or it didnt happen...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    Lemme get to the really horrid part first, man 😛
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,277
    mickeyrat said:
    And that is how pjs first book deal was made....

So Valentines day the chemo is done... yay!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    hedonist said:

That's damn good news.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    hedonist said:

It’ll take five days a week for seven weeks, plus some low-dose chemo, starting the week of new year’s.

That is great news, Hedo!!! You can definitely kick its ass now.

• hedonist said:

Cancer is scurred of Hedo.... who can blame it? 
    Woke up to a curious little Flea skulking around me. Along with these comments, such a nice way to start this dark and rainy morning  :)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    hedonist said:

Sorry to see this thread but I am glad to see this post. This is good news. Fuck cancer. You're going to destroy it!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,899
    hedonist said:

Yay! Great news Hedo.  
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    hedonist said:
    Woke up to a curious little Flea skulking around me. Along with these comments, such a nice way to start this dark and rainy morning  :)

This weekend we rock Portland