Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    The patients in ICU with covid are overwhelmingly not vaccinated. I don’t know the stats today, but last week every single COVID patient in ICU in BC was unvaccinated. 

In BC we have good vaccination numbers, but even with 85% of eligible people vaccinated that still leaves a good chunk vulnerable  who are getting really sick. Add to that the staffing shortages, because 18 months of working during the pandemic in tough and stressful situations grinds you down. I’m glad we have our vaccine card now for entry to all nonessential services. The opiate crisis is also terrible on the coast and overdose deaths just keep on coming, which is heartbreaking. We  are just trying to hang on until things eventually improve. 
    our friends from Vancouver visiting this summer were making fun of us a bit here and there, bragging how they don't have to wear masks anymore, etc, "what's happening in Manitoba? what the hell are you guys doing?". Yeah, ya might wanna take that back. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    My brother-in-law has had hip surgery cancelled multiple times because of Covid.  I have a procedure needing to be done that is delayed...what does fatty ford do...invites Alberta's covid cases here.  Fuck Alberta, they tell us how independent they are...then deal with your own stupid decisions...

At what point do we need to start holding individuals responsible for their poor choice in this situation?

Keep coddling these shitheads.  I say unless you have a valid medical reason, then fine...but most don't.  They are just stupid at this point and don't deserve to share the same services...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    so you think we should let people die so you can have a non-life threatening procedure?

yikes. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Don’t criticize the CBC in their comments sections, lol. First was deactivated within minutes, second seems to still be posted, lol.

"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    I guess O’Toole will embarrass Canada on the world stage.

Trudeau has a point

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

'Trudeau is bad for Canada,' Singh says as Liberal leader asks progressives to unite

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    so you think we should let people die so you can have a non-life threatening procedure?

yikes. 
    I'm pretty much with him. I have zero empathy left for these assholes.

They have broken the social contract.
  • Options
    If my family gets in a bad car crash today and any of us need an ICU bed we may be shit out of luck.

All because these assholes spend too much time on Facebook.
  • Options
    dignin said:

yikes. 

dignin said:
    If my family gets in a bad car crash today and any of us need an ICU bed we may be shit out of luck.

I agree with the second statement.

I have a surgery that I need done at some point, but I can live with it in the mean time. 

but trading someone's life just so I can be 100% again? 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I’ve been trying to find out if our government is working on approving any “dead virus” (attenuated?) vaccines. I’ve seen it expressed online (and in person with an (gasp!) unvaccinated friend) that getting one of these more traditional vaccines available would address some peoples’ hesitancy. Unfortunately, this doesn’t seem to be part of the discussion which is disappointing to me.

Full disclosure, I was hesitant about the mnra vaccines but by the time I became eligible AZ had been taken away. So I went and got my 2 shots of Pfizer, setting aside my concerns for the moment. As boosters become more necessary I’m not sure if I want to continue to be part of the experiment. We’re told to follow the science but not worry about potential long term effects from the vaccines, feels like a double standard to me.

I hope this doesn’t make me one of those dirty piece of shit “anti-vaxxers,” but I’m having to consider whether I’ll find myself standing amongst them in the future, and the ostracization and segregation is very troubling to me.

• Options
    I’ve been trying to find out if our government is working on approving any “dead virus” (attenuated?) vaccines. I’ve seen it expressed online (and in person with an (gasp!) unvaccinated friend) that getting one of these more traditional vaccines available would address some peoples’ hesitancy. Unfortunately, this doesn’t seem to be part of the discussion which is disappointing to me.

Full disclosure, I was hesitant about the mnra vaccines but by the time I became eligible AZ had been taken away. So I went and got my 2 shots of Pfizer, setting aside my concerns for the moment. As boosters become more necessary I’m not sure if I want to continue to be part of the experiment. We’re told to follow the science but not worry about potential long term effects from the vaccines, feels like a double standard to me.

I hope this doesn’t make me one of those dirty piece of shit “anti-vaxxers,” but I’m having to consider whether I’ll find myself standing amongst them in the future, and the ostracization and segregation is very troubling to me.
    long term effects of any vaccine in history has been <40 days after vaccination. so if you haven't grown a second head in a month and a half, you are fine. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

long term effects of any vaccine in history has been <40 days after vaccination. so if you haven't grown a second head in a month and a half, you are fine. 
    I get what you’re saying, but I don’t measure long term in days, but years.

And just for clarity, for those that are comfortable continuing with this regimen, that’s your prerogative and choice.

I’m really just asking if anyone’s aware if the more traditional vaccines are being investigated for use in Canada. I haven’t been able to find anything definitive.

• Options

And just for clarity, for those that are comfortable continuing with this regimen, that’s your prerogative and choice.

I’m really just asking if anyone’s aware if the more traditional vaccines are being investigated for use in Canada. I haven’t been able to find anything definitive.
    that's what i mean....long term effects over 40 days for vaccines simply don't exist. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    edited September 2021

First, I am not sure that you do get what HFD is saying - there is no evidence of long term side effects from any vaccines, and no biological reason why there would be long term side effects from the mRNA vaccines, so the recommendation is "following the science". The mRNA particles essentially disintegrate in the body very quickly and don't have the capacity to cause any long term side effects.

Second, and more to your original question, there are a number of vaccine trials underway or approved that Canada is a part of. Here's a link to the page: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/covid19-industry/drugs-vaccines-treatments/list-authorized-trials.html  . You'll see that lots of different types are being investigated, along with trials in different populations and mix-and-match trials of the mRNA vaccines. 

The AZ vaccine is still approved, and in fact got full approval recently. I don't think it's being made available right now, but certainly might be in the future. It's hard to argue that the country should prioritize a less effective vaccine. The Janssen vaccine still has some level of approval, I think, but it seems like it's unlikely to be shipped to us any time soon, since they made such a mess of their production. 

Medicago, a vaccine developed in Canada, is in phase 3 trials. If successful, I think their plan is to have it available late this fall or early next year. It is not an mRNA vaccine. 

Edit: corrected a spelling mistake
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

First, I am not sure that you do get what HFD is saying - there is no evidence of long term side effects from any vaccines, and no biological reason why there would be long term side effects from the mRNA vaccines, so the recommendation is "following the science". The mRNA particles essentially disintegrate in the body very quickly and don't have the capacity to cause any long term side effects.

Second, and more to your original question, there are a number of vaccine trials underway of approved that Canada is a part of. Here's a link to the page: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/covid19-industry/drugs-vaccines-treatments/list-authorized-trials.html  . You'll see that lots of different types are being investigated, along with trials in different populations and mix-and-match trials of the mRNA vaccines. 

The AZ vaccine is still approved, and in fact got full approval recently. I don't think it's being made available right now, but certainly might be in the future. It's hard to argue that the country should prioritize a less effective vaccine. The Janssen vaccine still has some level of approval, I think, but it seems like it's unlikely to be shipped to us any time soon, since they made such a mess of their production. 

Medicago, a vaccine developed in Canada, is in phase 3 trials. If successful, I think their plan is to have it available late this fall or early next year. It is not an mRNA vaccine. 
    Thanks, I started to look through the site but I’ll need to come back to it when I have more time to be thorough (and have a better understanding of what I’m reading, I fully acknowledge my limited knowledge.).

At a glance it seems like I can be more optimistic looking forward, sincerely, thanks.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    dignin said:

yikes. 

dignin said:

I have a surgery that I need done at some point, but I can live with it in the mean time. 

It get's more challenging here in BC. I've heard from a few people that their cancer treatments have been delayed because of capacity issues :(   And we're not even at where Alberta's at (yet) :(
  • Options
    Zod said:
    dignin said:

yikes. 

dignin said:

It get's more challenging here in BC. I've heard from a few people that their cancer treatments have been delayed because of capacity issues :(   And we're not even at where Alberta's at (yet) :(
    yes, and that's where I agree the cancer patient should get priority. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama both endorse Trudeau, and Bernie Sanders endorses Jagmeet Singh. I saw someone post on twitter
    "(this) is so funny to me it's like they're play fighting with little Canadian action figures". LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:

yikes. 

dignin said:

I'm okay with you being prioritized over the anti vaccine mouth breathers.

Now we are fucking over sick kids to save these fuckheads.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/alberta-childrens-hospital-to-close-75-per-cent-of-operating-rooms-by-monday
  • Options
    People should not to delay their procedure because of the unvaccinated.  As it is now our health care system will be playing catch-up.  And now more procedures are being delayed because of the 4th wave of unvaccinated…it could be a while to clear up the backlog…

even though healthcare is a provincial responsibility, I was really hoping the issue of backlogged procedures would have been discussed more and in detail with concrete solutions to help provinces solve these problems…

oh well.  Kind off a terrible election anyways.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I will clarify.  When I said fuck Alberta, I really meant Kenney.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I’d vote for butter tarts…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    I’d vote for the 1.23 gas. 
    1.46 here in Northern Ontario 

I realize it’s Ford’s provincial broken promise

1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2284119

The Alberta healthcare is collapsing???
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

Not all Liberal campaigning candidates are vaccinated: Trudeau

Then quit pointing the finger.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

Not all Liberal campaigning candidates are vaccinated: Trudeau

Then quit pointing the finger.

Based on the title of the article, I was expecting to see something more significant than everyone is fully vaccinated except for a couple of people who are about to get their second shot. 

Given the interval between first and second shots, one can assume that potential candidates who were unvaccinated were told they have to be vaccinated to run, so they got their first shot and are waiting for the second. 

Yeah, that’s not an issue for me, or probably for any reasonable person. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options