Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,645
    the problem is, Trudeau is right. They aren't real news. they can't be taken seriously. trump only does it because of his ego. when biden and/or obama make fun of fox, it's justified, and the same as trudeau. trudeau doesn't just paint any publication that reports negatively on him as fake news. 
    I’m sorry but all of that is debatable, and that’s fair enough as far as I’m concerned. Trudeau’s right in your opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Having watched a good chunk of Fox News when I stay with my aunt and uncle, they seem to be just as objective as CNN, just from the other side. The only difference is the window dressing, so to speak. But that’s my own perception.

That is objectively false.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860
    CNN is just barely left of center. 
    Fox is way right of center, closer to hyper partisan. not even comparable. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Graphic showing media in a bell-shaped curve
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,424
    CNN is just barely left of center. 
    Fox is way right of center, closer to hyper partisan. not even comparable. 
    The way CNN treats Democrats compared to Republicans is clear to anyone who tunes in. They’re not as bombastic as Fox, I’ll give you that, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    odd how you claim to speak for "anyone who tunes in". hard disagree on that. I find it quite balanced. The only thing that wasn't was don lemon and cuomo. but even at that, they weren't even close to the fox talking heads on their evening shows. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Nearly everyone on Fox News comes off as at least partly untethered from reality or actually insane. Nobody on CNN does.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    odd how you claim to speak for "anyone who tunes in". hard disagree on that. I find it quite balanced. The only thing that wasn't was don lemon and cuomo. but even at that, they weren't even close to the fox talking heads on their evening shows. 
    You keep claiming your opinions as equally absolute. You think CNN is balanced, I don’t dispute that (and even expect it). I don’t so we disagree hard on that point.

In the end we’re discussing the networks respective styles, which is entirely subjective. Some people preferred Donahue to Geraldo or (later) Oprah to Jerry, lol.

Given that both main US political parties are both right of centre then CNN’s placement on your chart isn’t all that surprising, but it would be interesting to dig into how they came up with the chart. Proportionally CNN may sit equally to the left of the Democrats as Fox does to the right of the Republicans. A similar (presumably honest) analysis of Canadian media outlets would probably be interesting fodder for discussion.

Edited to add (later) before Oprah. She was quite a bit more sensational in her early talk show days, lol.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• Options
    I would suggest that the Republicans now sit right of Fox News, lol!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I would suggest that the Republicans now sit right of Fox News, lol!
    I wouldn’t necessarily say no, lol.

• Options
    You keep claiming your opinions as equally absolute. You think CNN is balanced, I don’t dispute that (and even expect it). I don’t so we disagree hard on that point.

In the end we’re discussing the networks respective styles, which is entirely subjective. Some people preferred Donahue to Geraldo or (later) Oprah to Jerry, lol.

Given that both main US political parties are both right of centre then CNN’s placement on your chart isn’t all that surprising, but it would be interesting to dig into how they came up with the chart. Proportionally CNN may sit equally to the left of the Democrats as Fox does to the right of the Republicans. A similar (presumably honest) analysis of Canadian media outlets would probably be interesting fodder for discussion.

Edited to add (later) before Oprah. She was quite a bit more sensational in her early talk show days, lol.
    I'm not claiming my opinion is absolute, and I'm not saying I speak for everyone who watches the news like you are. I'm saying it's generally accepted that CNN is way more balanced than Fox by general analysis of a few main factors. it's absurd to say they are the same. 

does CNN have its issues? absolutely. is it sensationalistic? it's why I stopped watching. 

however, if CNN had people screaming at the screen every night about a convoy coming to murder your family, democrats coming for your guns, etc, and corrupt POS cult leader is the best president in history, maybe I'd agree with you. 

this link it explains it: https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-chart
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Show me anything even in that universe on CNN and I’ll eat my phone. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The Steele Dossier or whatever it was called. 

Yes, CNN dress it up calmly and could be said to appear impartial which is all the more reason to watch them critically.  Again that's the chosen style of each network,  could it maybe even be intentional for something called ratings in the case of some outlets?  If everyone is doing calm and staid how else to best stand out than to be brash? I think we've agreed before that the mainstream news is a product to sell us crap these days, it's not a benevolent service. 

You were up my ass about Rebel News last week (and were pretty damn absolute) but your admitted sample size was a single article that you didn't even finish and an opinion from a person you know I don't respect or consider otherwise worthwhile.  Using the earlier example of rye bread you had one or two bites once and condemn that loaf forever after.

• Options

I'm not claiming my opinion is absolute, and I'm not saying I speak for everyone who watches the news like you are. I'm saying it's generally accepted that CNN is way more balanced than Fox by general analysis of a few main factors. it's absurd to say they are the same. 

does CNN have its issues? absolutely. is it sensationalistic? it's why I stopped watching. 

however, if CNN had people screaming at the screen every night about a convoy coming to murder your family, democrats coming for your guns, etc, and corrupt POS cult leader is the best president in history, maybe I'd agree with you. 

this link it explains it: https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-chart
    As I scrolled down the page you linked something they said stood out to me,  that while they were assigning bias to the various outlets it had zero correlation to an outlets accuracy. Accuracy in reporting is far, far more important to me than bias. And in any case it all needs to be consumed critically (I'd even add highly critically these days).

• Options
    I've read more than one article of Rebel News, lol. I've also seen how they conduct themselves in a live setting, and on tv. Didn't even finish? what?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,681
    lol
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    There are (finally) legit enough talks about Trudeau possibly stepping down.  He's receiving at least luke warm pressure from within the Liberals. 

In general, do you think JT stepping down would help or hurt the liberals chances in the next election? 

I think it should help them, but I think so much depends on who replaces him.
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Well I also believe in freedom of the press. But not in the obligation of anyone to speak to them. Trump didn't speak to CNN or MSNBC or the like. that's his right. Where he went too far was to sow distrust in all media by calling them all fake unless they cowed to him. 

I don't know if that PP interviewer was biased. he had correct points, he just made them and followed up on them extremely poorly. 

I started reading one Rebel article and I got about 1.5 paragraphs in before it became hyper-partisan and I couldn't read anymore. and it wasn't an editorial. it was "reporting". 
    Your last paragraph.

• Options
    Oh yes, well, you mischaracterized that. I explained why I didn't finish reading that trash. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Parksy said:
    There are (finally) legit enough talks about Trudeau possibly stepping down.  He's receiving at least luke warm pressure from within the Liberals. 

In general, do you think JT stepping down would help or hurt the liberals chances in the next election? 

why now? 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,316
    Parksy said:

why now? 
    I think the situation has morphed.  In previous elections I think he got enough votes because people weren't enthusiastic about the alternative and were also concerned about the alternative.    I think what's happening now, is that many Canadian's are so disenfranchised, it's turning into a vote him out, rather than vote for the lesser of 3 evils kind of thing.  Where you have an election where people are more concerned with voting someone out, than they are about who they are voting in.  It feels like a building wave of people wanting change.
  • Options
    Oh yes, well, you mischaracterized that. I explained why I didn't finish reading that trash. 
    That makes no sense, I just read your own words. If you didn’t write accurately that’s not a mischaracterization on my part.

• Options
    That makes no sense, I just read your own words. If you didn’t write accurately that’s not a mischaracterization on my part.
    "an article you didn't even finish" is not the same as "I chose not to read past the hyper partisan drivel of the first two paragraphs". context matters. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    "an article you didn't even finish" is not the same as "I chose not to read past the hyper partisan drivel of the first two paragraphs". context matters. 
    Fact: did you finish the article or not? So what did I misunderstand? That you chose not to push through and finish the article because you didn’t like its tone (or are you now going to criticize the accuracy of the article?)? That might be a bit of context you didn’t consider I’ll suggest.

This is just getting stupid, you can try and spin it anyway you want but you wrote something poorly and can’t admit that simple fact (and in fact work to shift any misunderstanding onto me it seems).

• Options
    conservatives on twitter are going ballastic on trudeau for his daughter going as a headless horseman for halloween. good god. IT'S HALLOWEEN. SHE ISN'T DRESSED AS A TERRORIST OR HEADLESS JOURNALIST. 
    So what was the full context for this post? What was the nature of the complaints? Was it a $10,000 costume that further illustrates how out of touch that family is with the average household?

I’ll give them this much, the left the shoe polish in the closet and didn’t go with an Arabian them at least, lol.

• Options
    what am I spinning exactly? I said rebel news was trash once, and then said it was trash again. I never said you misunderstood. I said you mischaracterized. not sure why you're going all nuclear about this. just correcting some context was all I was doing. 

I don't go fishing for gold in a trash bin. Why would anyone be expected to "push through" when you are nearly certain all you are going to keep finding is more and more trash. 

oh, and uh, that anderson cooper saying on cnn "we're tired of all your muslims" was quite something, eh? oh, darnit, that was jesse watters on fox. my bad! I keep mixing them up they're so similar! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 555
    Parksy said:

I think it would help. Next election does not have to be called until October 2025. Put in a new leader  like the cons did with Kim Campbell. 
    Not sure who it would be, the bench is not deep.
    Personally I think both the Libs and Cons could do with better leaders. 
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    2024: Vancouver I, Vancouver II
  • Options
    conservatives on twitter are going ballastic on trudeau for his daughter going as a headless horseman for halloween. good god. IT'S HALLOWEEN. SHE ISN'T DRESSED AS A TERRORIST OR HEADLESS JOURNALIST. 
    So what was the full context for this post? What was the nature of the complaints? Was it a $10,000 costume that further illustrates how out of touch that family is with the average household?

I’ll give them this much, the left the shoe polish in the closet and didn’t go with an Arabian them at least, lol.
    So it was Justin’s son not daughter, and given the criticism stems at least in part from world events it’s not an offside point against the Prime Minister.

https://amp.tmz.com/2023/11/01/justin-trudeau-halloween-son-beheaded-costume-israel/

• Options
    Parksy said:

why now? 
    Depending on how you're asking...  I look at it two ways:

1) If he cared about his party, he should have stepped down last year... He's become way too much of a lightning rod of controversy, plus most of the opposition attack him personally, not his policies. Him stepping down would have been better for the country and his party. Which leads me to.... 

2) The pressure seems to be finally coming from within his party. I think members of his own caucus are starting to realize that they're likely going to get voted out with him at the helm. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    erebus said:
    Parksy said:

I think it would help. Next election does not have to be called until October 2025. Put in a new leader  like the cons did with Kim Campbell. 
    Not sure who it would be, the bench is not deep.
    Personally I think both the Libs and Cons could do with better leaders. 
    +1
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016