Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,425
    I don’t know how much this issue has gone beyond Ontario, it seems that the NDP weren’t given many options by Jama (the article fails to mention that after being asked/told to take down the controversial post she chose to pin the post, making it the first thing people would see when looking at her profile (essentially doubling down on the statement).

I don’t like the government’s reaction however, because it reeks of wrongthought which was a large part of my criticism of Trudeau’s handling of the evil trucker convoy. Dissident thoughts should be honestly examined, not dismissed out of hand which seems to be the way of the world at the moment.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/jama-ndp-caucus-1.7005056
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,682
    I don’t know how much this issue has gone beyond Ontario, it seems that the NDP weren’t given many options by Jama (the article fails to mention that after being asked/told to take down the controversial post she chose to pin the post, making it the first thing people would see when looking at her profile (essentially doubling down on the statement).

I don’t like the government’s reaction however, because it reeks of wrongthought which was a large part of my criticism of Trudeau’s handling of the evil trucker convoy. Dissident thoughts should be honestly examined, not dismissed out of hand which seems to be the way of the world at the moment.

great post.  I was actually thinking this earlier today.  

Stuff like this often comes as no surprise to me when dealing with any kind of society.  In Canada, our social democracy dictates laws, representation, etc.  so it's not all that shocking to see a political party that says "hey, there are certain lines that shouldn't be crossed."

It's tricky business to want and desire freedom of individual thought and speech and at the same time basically NEED to co-exist with other people in a society. 

Everything seems to be on a scale or degree... that of which can barely ever be measurable. 

Certain things are no brainers... other things are kind of a gray area. And then folks like us debate everything in between. lol 

The NHL is an interesting case I think of something similar with this with their all around decision to ban pride jersey's, tape, etc.  I think their stance is:  "We, the NHL support LGBT+ ... however we do not feel it's a good idea to essentially force our players to openly support that as well."  I honestly agree with the NHL.  That's hockey.  A political party...  I can understand wanting a member to follow party lines.  

Again.. good post. 

Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Parksy said:

great post.  I was actually thinking this earlier today.  

Stuff like this often comes as no surprise to me when dealing with any kind of society.  In Canada, our social democracy dictates laws, representation, etc.  so it's not all that shocking to see a political party that says "hey, there are certain lines that shouldn't be crossed."

It's tricky business to want and desire freedom of individual thought and speech and at the same time basically NEED to co-exist with other people in a society. 

Everything seems to be on a scale or degree... that of which can barely ever be measurable. 

Certain things are no brainers... other things are kind of a gray area. And then folks like us debate everything in between. lol 

The NHL is an interesting case I think of something similar with this with their all around decision to ban pride jersey's, tape, etc.  I think their stance is:  "We, the NHL support LGBT+ ... however we do not feel it's a good idea to essentially force our players to openly support that as well."  I honestly agree with the NHL.  That's hockey.  A political party...  I can understand wanting a member to follow party lines.  

Again.. good post. 

Thanks, another issue I take with the censure motion is how it disenfranchises her constituents. Said constituents are the ones who can take any further issue with Jama (yet again we touch on the need for reasonable recall legislation, lol).

With the NHL I agree that it’s their prerogative to be non-political and it’s strange how so much of the coverage I’ve seen bypasses the fact it’s a blanket ban, no group is being singled out. I really don’t know how they should handle those that disobey the ban, especially since they’ve recently opened up advertising on the jerseys and such. But again, it’s the league’s choice to make, and I don’t think there’s a policy against players expressing their views in interviews and other platforms so what’s the problem really?

I hope that’s not a case of (to paraphrase Family Guy) “We received 5 complaints and each complaint equals 2 billion unsent complaints so we need to do something.” Some good causes got promoted on those theme nights, not least of which being the LGBTQ. Military and breast cancer were two other big ones.

It’s sad how we demand every group has to state where they stand on every issue then the groups have to deal with the blowback when someone’s inevitably offended. Neutrality is no longer accepted, seemingly.

• Options
    Spin it however you want. Conservatives will spin it however they want. None of that was my point. I was talking about the poor journalism displayed and why I find it very hard to read or watch editorialized news. A lot of mainstream news is editorialized. 
    You can hate on PP (fully expected that on this thread) it is your right in a democracy. I don’t like the guy either,  but I don’t like or trust any politician. Why would I? 

The interaction made me laugh. PP buried that guy, and it went viral. That is what happens when funny shit is on the internet. I highly doubt the team thought it would go viral, but I am sure they are tickled pink it did. He didn’t get rattled, held his composure. That is something good leaders do. 

• Options
    Parksy said:
    Poilievre’s apple interview is pure gold. I laughed out loud at his take down of the small town journalist. True journalists are fair and objective. It seems they all want to be editorialists these days. 

Look at CNN or MSNBC or Fox News. None of these are “news” channels. They are Editorial channels. What was once two pages in the newspaper is now several 24 hour entertainment channels. Utter nonsense. 

When I was young, I never understood the editorials. I would read it and wonder why this person felt they needed to tell me how to think. Why did they not understand that I merely needed the facts and I could draw my own conclusions. Basically, journalism today is the halftime show on NFL Sunday. 
    In some ways, I think he actually makes the joke of a journalist's point for him. 

Look at this clown.... Leader of the Opposition... going 'viral' for all the wrong reasons. And the really blatant and sad part... it's not other "news organizations," pundits, or right wing media people eating this up... HE IS.  Our Leader or the Opposition and the Conservative Party of Canada is posting this like some sort of accomplishment.  And people ask me why I don't want to vote for this moron. What a joke. And I hate to say this... anyone out there who watches this as is like "HAHA... look at him TAKE DOWN this biased reporter" really needs to take a step back and look at what they get their jollies off of. 

If it was the other way around (conservative reporter/liberal leader) you would laugh your ass off and you know it. Lol. So would I! Just put Tucker Carlson in front of Trudeau and see the same kind of interaction. Don’t think you would laugh? Don’t think it would go viral? 
    Why can’t anyone look at anything objectively anymore? What is funny is funny, full stop. If more people had a sense of humour we would be in a better place. 

If this interaction makes you want to vote for someone, that’s another story. It’s your right, it’s a democracy. But you best learn about the leader and their platform prior to casting that ballot 
  • Options
    Spin it however you want. Conservatives will spin it however they want. None of that was my point. I was talking about the poor journalism displayed and why I find it very hard to read or watch editorialized news. A lot of mainstream news is editorialized. 
    You can hate on PP (fully expected that on this thread) it is your right in a democracy. I don’t like the guy either,  but I don’t like or trust any politician. Why would I? 

The interaction made me laugh. PP buried that guy, and it went viral. That is what happens when funny shit is on the internet. I highly doubt the team thought it would go viral, but I am sure they are tickled pink it did. He didn’t get rattled, held his composure. That is something good leaders do. 

That's what I'm saying ....   it was extremely poor journalism. Why Cherry pick and exploit it?  The answer to that is the target audience has no idea what good journalism is.  Back to my original post, I liken it to the Leafs posting about Mattews scoring on a 7 year old.  It's a pathetic flex. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    Poilievre’s apple interview is pure gold. I laughed out loud at his take down of the small town journalist. True journalists are fair and objective. It seems they all want to be editorialists these days. 

Look at CNN or MSNBC or Fox News. None of these are “news” channels. They are Editorial channels. What was once two pages in the newspaper is now several 24 hour entertainment channels. Utter nonsense. 

When I was young, I never understood the editorials. I would read it and wonder why this person felt they needed to tell me how to think. Why did they not understand that I merely needed the facts and I could draw my own conclusions. Basically, journalism today is the halftime show on NFL Sunday. 
    In some ways, I think he actually makes the joke of a journalist's point for him. 

Look at this clown.... Leader of the Opposition... going 'viral' for all the wrong reasons. And the really blatant and sad part... it's not other "news organizations," pundits, or right wing media people eating this up... HE IS.  Our Leader or the Opposition and the Conservative Party of Canada is posting this like some sort of accomplishment.  And people ask me why I don't want to vote for this moron. What a joke. And I hate to say this... anyone out there who watches this as is like "HAHA... look at him TAKE DOWN this biased reporter" really needs to take a step back and look at what they get their jollies off of. 

If it was the other way around (conservative reporter/liberal leader) you would laugh your ass off and you know it. Lol. So would I! Just put Tucker Carlson in front of Trudeau and see the same kind of interaction. Don’t think you would laugh? Don’t think it would go viral? 
    Why can’t anyone look at anything objectively anymore? What is funny is funny, full stop. If more people had a sense of humour we would be in a better place. 

If this interaction makes you want to vote for someone, that’s another story. It’s your right, it’s a democracy. But you best learn about the leader and their platform prior to casting that ballot 
    My gripe is exactly this.  Pierre doesn't want or doesn't care to advertise substance.  He wants clicks. He wants attention.  He wants funny or scary. 

I would judge Trudeau the same way if he 'schooled' a right wing nut job and then posted on his YouTube channel for clicks and likes. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Gripe away. I think it’s hilarious. 
    Politics has always been a popularity contest, now they go for clicks and likes which helps them get elected. 

Hate the game, not the player. 
  • Options
    Politics has always been a popularity contest, now they go for clicks and likes which helps them get elected. 

This coming after the reporter negatively accused Pierre of being a populist. The exact strategy Trump successfully used.  Go figure. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Unfortunately I suspect this will lead us back to bullying any players that choose to not participate in supporting any cause, which it seems was the reason the league chose to stop the theme nights.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nhl-backtracks-pride-tape-ban-1.7006393

• Options
    Parksy said:

This coming after the reporter negatively accused Pierre of being a populist. The exact strategy Trump successfully used.  Go figure. 
    Accused him of being a populist, but didn’t know what it meant 
  • Options
    Parksy said:

Accused him of being a populist, but didn’t know what it meant 
    Again, circling around, the journalist sucked.  But he wasn't wrong in accusing Pierre of using populist tactics.

If I was the reporter, I would have simple responded by asking him why he puts importance on combatting "wokeness" in the House of Commons and on his YouTube channel... specifically using that term "woke."  I would ask why he sits down to do interviews with a right wing lightning rod like Jordan Peterson. I would ask why he got super cozy with the Freedom Convoy. I would ask why he holds so many rallies for support so far away from any election. 

I watched a panel discuss this on CTV  (call them what you will... but understand a lot of Canadians watch this) and 3 out of the 4 panelists repeated exactly what I'm saying. Meaning... they're looking at this through the same glass I am.  

Let's say you're the kind of person who hates Trudeau or you're the kind of person who just doesn't want him to be PM anymore (me) .. there is only one way to do this:  win an election.  What frustrates me about Pierre and some of his Conservative caucus is just like this PR viral video "win" ... I don't think they're seeing the forest through the trees.  

A video like this has the people who love him (Pierre) loving him more. And it's got a lot of people talking (like us) :) That's awesome and all.. but he doesn't need to keep his base happy or keep people on the right happy, or win votes from the PPC crowd.  This apple eating viral video appeals to the aforementioned. 

What he needs to win an election is he needs to convince voters on the left or central left to change their vote and go Conservative. He needs around 1.5M people who voted NDP and Liberal to vote Conservative. To do that, he shouldn't be mocking this reporter, he should be listening to him. 

Shot in the dark, but if the voters he needs are anything even remotely close to me.. they're gonna think like me and they're gonna think:

A:  You ARE a populist and you DO act like Trump sometimes. And that's not good. We fucking HATE Trump and Trumpism. 
    B:  Making a low level journalist look stupid and then bragging about it on the internet doesn't make you look awesome it makes you look sad. 
    C: Just in general, it is completely rude and dooshy to munch on an apple while a reporter... or anyone... is asking you questions while you're looking to be the next PM.  

I see a lot of folks on the internet (for what it's worth) and SkyNews, and Fox who are lovvvvving this clip because it "own's the libs" and "shuts down the woke media." That's generally not good for Pierre in my opinion. Stuff like this worked well for Trump in America... it won't work well in Canada. 

He needs to win an election. Trudeau has won the last three. The by-elections in the summer changed nothing... with the exception of the Liberals somehow gaining more support in Manitoba. 

Hopefully not going overboard with hockey references... but I again liken this to a losing team winning a massive brawl on the ice.  It's awesome, it feels great, you've accomplished something.....   but ultimately you didn't win the game. What matters most here? 

(apologies for long rant) :) 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,688
    edited October 2023
    ^ Great take, P, except "dooshy" stems from the patriarchal gendered put-down word 'douche', so you spelled that wrong.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860
    I gather his spelling was on purpose. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    and yes, that "journalist" was no journalist. I read he wasn't a journalist, just a local farmer. so which is it? and was he hand picked to speak to PP because he's so terrible at his job? what kind of journalist follows up an accusation with "well, I'm sure SOME people are saying that". gimme a break. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spunkie said:
    ^ Great take, P, except "dooshy" stems from the patriarchal gendered put-down word 'douche', so you spelled that wrong.
    This is a personal thing...  I've always for whatever reason preferred doosh over douche.  You're not wrong for correcting lol 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 555
    Good summation Parksy

I’m in the same boat. Tired of JT, would consider Cons, but never under PP.  Will have to focus on the best local candidate who will work best for the riding or consider abstaining. Or the third option, the way most Canadians vote, against who you don’t like…
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    2024: Vancouver I, Vancouver II
  • Options
    So a reporter gets himself in over his head and we blame the interview subject.

This after a video of Trudeau telling a man he has no agency was praised here by many.

The best part of the Poilievre video is when he asks for examples of the language he’s accused of using and the reporter (because that’s what he was, at least in that moment) can’t even recall words used in a previous response (“gatekeepers” sticks in my mind).

At least Poilievre seems willing to take questions from all corners instead of flat out ignoring some outlets as the current PM does. If Poilievre had refused the interview because of an assumed bias on the part of the reporter would we now be criticizing him for not taking (what turned out to be) loaded questions?

• Options
    let's be real here. a politician's willingness to speak to press (or anyone) is wildly different when you are campaigning for the job vs when have the job. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    let's be real here. a politician's willingness to speak to press (or anyone) is wildly different when you are campaigning for the job vs when have the job. 
    So when was the last election campaign where Trudeau answered questions from Rebel News (much less gave a full interview) for example? And Trudeau is currently actively campaigning as much or more than Poilievre is, he just gets to do it under the banner of “government announcements”, so I can see why there’s some confusion.

• Options
    the standards are different. he would have had the same battle when he was up against Harper. And I'm sure Harper got criticized by the left just as Trudeau is now by the right. that's the game. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    the standards are different. he would have had the same battle when he was up against Harper. And I'm sure Harper got criticized by the left just as Trudeau is now by the right. that's the game. 
    So why does Trudeau actively avoid certain media outlets, even (especially) when campaigning?

And beyond talking with his mouth full Poilievre really doesn’t do anything wrong in the video. Attacking him for using the video for self-promotion is disingenuous at best.

• Options
    Apologies but I need you clarify what you mean by this, despite my reply.

• Options
    Let’s be honest here, the Conservative Party of Canada has previously put forward 3 perfectly reasonable candidates as leaders: Harper, Scheer and O’Toole and all three were rejected in favour of Trudeau’s bombast (style over substance) or perhaps out of anti-Conservative paranoia. Now the Conservatives are being criticized for essentially running another blowhard against the current blowhard PM. I choose to laugh instead of cry, lol.

• Options
    So why does Trudeau actively avoid certain media outlets, even (especially) when campaigning?

And beyond talking with his mouth full Poilievre really doesn’t do anything wrong in the video. Attacking him for using the video for self-promotion is disingenuous at best.
    I don't know. you'd have to ask him. 

I am one of the few that won't find fault in how PP acted in that "interview". I don't think he was a dick or rude. he was challenging the claims he made in a calm manner. I don't know why people are whining about it. the interviewer was absolutely terrible. he was so unprepared. You can make an accusation without being prepared to back it up with quotes. Complete failure. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I think the opposition has to do the work to make get their message across to convince voters. That's why they have to be willing to talk to any and all outlets to get their message across. You can pick and choose when you are in the incumbent. 

To use an old pro rasslin' Bobby The Brain Heenan line: "you're the champ. you don't have to beat him. he has to beat you"
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I think the opposition has to do the work to make get their message across to convince voters. That's why they have to be willing to talk to any and all outlets to get their message across. You can pick and choose when you are in the incumbent. 

To use an old pro rasslin' Bobby The Brain Heenan line: "you're the champ. you don't have to beat him. he has to beat you"
    I use the same analogy to people all the time.   To beat the Champ, you need to really beat the Champ.  Like it or not, being the PM gives JT an upper hand. 

@Darth... in hindsight, I do honestly wish I supported O'Toole. I think he would have been a way way way better PM than JT.   At the time, the way I voted was more aimed against the hated of Trudeau than my liking of the Liberals. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options

Thanks, I appreciate the clarification, though I do feel a bit differently on the topic in that I don’t see it as good politics to freeze out media outlets as the incumbent, but you do make a fair point.

• Options
    and you really believe JT should legitimize Rebel News? there's nothing news about them. it's Canadian InfoWars. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    and you really believe JT should legitimize Rebel News? there's nothing news about them. it's Canadian InfoWars. 
    Why not? (Leaving aside any personal feelings about any specific outlet.)

I’m not comfortable with government of any stripe telling me what’s acceptable news and what’s not.