Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701
    beano.79 said:
    27 miles done.. we have 3 training runs left! 8/16/30 miles. Then a 2 week taper. 3 weeks until we find out what were made of! 😬

Was telling my cousin (race partner) about this place and how great it is to vent running obsessions with people who maybe give a small shit 😂
    beano.79 said:
    27 miles done.. we have 3 training runs left! 8/16/30 miles. Then a 2 week taper. 3 weeks until we find out what were made of! 😬

Was telling my cousin (race partner) about this place and how great it is to vent running obsessions with people who maybe give a small shit 😂
    Excellent!! I can’t believe your big run is coming up so fast. I can’t wait to hear all about it. Truly inspiring!!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    promised my collegues to start running again... been almost a year....
    Get it going....always a good time to start again!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Love seeing all the posts here on this! I’m looking for some marathon training advice…

I’m looking at doing my first marathon in mid-October. Just two weeks ago I did a half marathon and I typically average around 30-35 miles per week. I’ve never ran more than 15 miles in my life at once. I’m thinking if I can knockout a 20 miler, then I’ll be good to go. Obviously I would need to get on a more concrete training plan. But is plan realistic if I can do a 20 miler?

Thanks in advance!
    beano.79 said:
    I know I said I will wait but I'll just pop this here now. the fund raising has started slowly, my daughter's school have been absolutely incredible during this mess and I'm trying to just raise a little money to help them with all they do for the kiddies.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/raise-funds-for-godmanchester-community-academy?utm_medium=email&utm_source=product&utm_campaign=p_email+2300-co-team-welcome
    Sorry I forgot to contribute last week. I just did it now. It looks like a great cause. Good luck with the fundraising and the race. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Love seeing all the posts here on this! I’m looking for some marathon training advice…

I’m looking at doing my first marathon in mid-October. Just two weeks ago I did a half marathon and I typically average around 30-35 miles per week. I’ve never ran more than 15 miles in my life at once. I’m thinking if I can knockout a 20 miler, then I’ll be good to go. Obviously I would need to get on a more concrete training plan. But is plan realistic if I can do a 20 miler?

Thanks in advance!
    Congratulations on your half and it is exciting to be looking at your marathon coming so soon!
    I would suggest Hal Higdon Novice 1 or Novice 2 Marathon plan.  You sound like you are doing great at running consistently and Hal is a longtime writer/influencer in the running world who agrees with you on the 20 mile prep run.
    If you Google for those two plans you can see which one you think most closely aligns with where you are currently in your training vs. where your week is based on your mid-october race date.
    Let me know if you are interested in this plan and have any questions about it.  I'm using an adapted (17% +) plan for my 50K training based on Higdon, who I used last year for my first marathon and liked it.

Where are you running?
    Dealing with massive heat?

Love having more people joining in, thanks!

GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    I know I said I will wait but I'll just pop this here now. the fund raising has started slowly, my daughter's school have been absolutely incredible during this mess and I'm trying to just raise a little money to help them with all they do for the kiddies.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/raise-funds-for-godmanchester-community-academy?utm_medium=email&utm_source=product&utm_campaign=p_email+2300-co-team-welcome
    Sorry I forgot to contribute last week. I just did it now. It looks like a great cause. Good luck with the fundraising and the race. 
    💥 Pearl Jam Fan Power!
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 635
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

Thank you so much, super generous! We love our daughter's school they are incredible, I will always raise money for charity when I run big events but this time wanted to do something more personal.
    Love seeing all the posts here on this! I’m looking for some marathon training advice…

Thanks in advance!
    Reading official training plans can be complicated and off putting. You don't need to run 5 or 6 times per week. I have run 3 times per week for marathons, mountain races and ultra marathons. I am on my feet all day with work so 3 runs suits my body perfect. So in terms of weekly runs find what suits your body and life. For marathon training the long run is your bread and butter. Peaking at 20 miles is perfect leaving a few weeks to taper off before the race. You will ideally increase your long run by 1 mile each weekend and every 3 or 4 weeks have a lower mileage to help recover and prevent injury. Long runs should be much slower than race pace it's all about time on your feet. Throw in some shorter varied pace runs during the week and it will see you good!

Keep it simple and manageable, you don't need to kill yourself doing it.

And the best advice I ever got regarding taking it easy.... Always remember you aren't practicing running a marathon you are just preparing your body to be capable of running one.

Thanks in advance!
    Congratulations on your half and it is exciting to be looking at your marathon coming so soon!
    I would suggest Hal Higdon Novice 1 or Novice 2 Marathon plan.  You sound like you are doing great at running consistently and Hal is a longtime writer/influencer in the running world who agrees with you on the 20 mile prep run.
    If you Google for those two plans you can see which one you think most closely aligns with where you are currently in your training vs. where your week is based on your mid-october race date.
    Let me know if you are interested in this plan and have any questions about it.  I'm using an adapted (17% +) plan for my 50K training based on Higdon, who I used last year for my first marathon and liked it.

Where are you running?

Just seen this advice after posting mine.. this sounds solid and will likely be much better than the type of plans I was talking about (runners world etc) 👍
    edited August 2021
    Everyone is different and your advice about preparing your body to run a marathon really tings true, to me, and aligns with Higdon.  (Have you read him?  You seem to both follow the same basic approach.)

This is why I read three books on Ultra prep and went back to Higdon's basic plans for prep for marathons and then just increased the mileage up accordingly to match the 31 vs 26 miles.  
    Didn't make sense to run every day and do big back-to-back days when I was only getting my body ready to go 6 miles further than last time.
    I loved the idea of copying the regimen that I was reading about from these Ultra stars but was concerned about my body cooperating.  

• Love seeing all the posts here on this! I’m looking for some marathon training advice…

Thanks in advance!

Where are you running?

Thank you so much for the great info! The Hutson novice 1 plan sounds absolutely perfect for me and I’ll be using that going forward. Much appreciated! I was worried I’d be trying to do the marathon too soon, but sounds like I’m on the right path if I can knock out the 20 miler. 

I am dealing with some pretty intense heat, but it’s dry heat out in Colorado. With that, add the altitude in as an additional challenge to this. But something I’m used to by now. 
  • beano.79 said:

Thanks in advance!
    Reading official training plans can be complicated and off putting. You don't need to run 5 or 6 times per week. I have run 3 times per week for marathons, mountain races and ultra marathons. I am on my feet all day with work so 3 runs suits my body perfect. So in terms of weekly runs find what suits your body and life. For marathon training the long run is your bread and butter. Peaking at 20 miles is perfect leaving a few weeks to taper off before the race. You will ideally increase your long run by 1 mile each weekend and every 3 or 4 weeks have a lower mileage to help recover and prevent injury. Long runs should be much slower than race pace it's all about time on your feet. Throw in some shorter varied pace runs during the week and it will see you good!

Keep it simple and manageable, you don't need to kill yourself doing it.

And the best advice I ever got regarding taking it easy.... Always remember you aren't practicing running a marathon you are just preparing your body to be capable of running one.
    Love the advice here! Especially the parts about taking it easy and keeping it simple. Since it’s the first one, I’m just trying to finish. Thank you so much!
    edited August 2021

Thanks in advance!

Where are you running?

Thank you so much for the great info! The Hutson novice 1 plan sounds absolutely perfect for me and I’ll be using that going forward. Much appreciated! I was worried I’d be trying to do the marathon too soon, but sounds like I’m on the right path if I can knock out the 20 miler. 

I am dealing with some pretty intense heat, but it’s dry heat out in Colorado. With that, add the altitude in as an additional challenge to this. But something I’m used to by now. 
    That is great! 👍
    I'm envious of the dry heat (was 97% humidity when I set out for my 9 mile this morning) but not the altitude.  Well, I liked is much better for you to train there so I would kind of like that.  I'm sure it is beautiful to run and look at those mountains, as well 

The Sunday cross sessions are a part of Higdon's program that I really like.  I can go from pretty rough hikes to easy walks,  from swimming or even to jogging/treading water sessions in the pool.
    Last Sunday, half of that time was actually sitting in the hot tub and "bicycling" my legs while holding up my body.  Totally easy and feels great to stretch the muscles out a bit after the Saturday long run.
    Once in a while I will take it off and combine with Monday for two rest days.
    Like Beano advises, you just need to go with your body and what it feels.

This isn't something we've talked about here.....
    Does anyone else get tired of doing wash every few days?
    One guy I know washes his stuff every time he works out....I've been hanging on my master deck railing outside for a day and then putting everything on for a wash and hang after the second run.  

Since summer took and longer runs started the clothing is always a mess
      Not like short runs or winter runs where I can hang dry, put in a pile, and wash every week.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on

Thanks in advance!

Where are you running?

That is great! 👍
    I'm envious of the dry heat (was 97% humidity when I set out for my 9 mile this morning) but not the altitude.  Well, I liked is much better for you to train there so I would kind of like that.  I'm sure it is beautiful to run and look at those mountains, as well 

The Sunday cross sessions are a part of Higdon's program that I really like.  I can go from pretty rough hikes to easy walks,  from swimming or even to jogging/treading water sessions in the pool.
    Last Sunday, half of that time was actually sitting in the hot tub and "bicycling" my legs while holding up my body.  Totally easy and feels great to stretch the muscles out a bit after the Saturday long run.

One guy I know washes his stuff every time he works out....I've been hanging on my master deck railing outside for a day and then putting everything on for a wash and hang after the second run.  

Not like short runs or winter runs where I can hang dry, put in a pile, and wash every week.

In terms of washing my running clothes I don’t have a laundry room in my building so I have to go to a laundromat. I do drop-off service. I go once a week. After running I hang my clothes in the bathroom to dry off and then at night throw them in the laundry basket. I bought tons of running clothes for all different weather. So I have enough for the week. However my sports bra gets hand washed after each run since I only have two. Having a washer/dryer in my apartment is the dream. Luckily the laundromat is only a block  away. 
    edited August 2021
    GlowGirl said:

Thanks in advance!

Where are you running?

That is great! 👍

In terms of washing my running clothes I don’t have a laundry room in my building so I have to go to a laundromat. I do drop-off service. I go once a week. After running I hang my clothes in the bathroom to dry off and then at night throw them in the laundry basket. I bought tons of running clothes for all different weather. So I have enough for the week. However my sports bra gets hand washed after each run since I only have two. Having a washer/dryer in my apartment is the dream. Luckily the laundromat is only a block  away. 
    So you hand wash the sports bras in your sink?
    I did what you do for the short runs and non summer times ....hang over the shower and the clothes would dry by mid-day.
    However the longer distance/heat means they smell like something dead and I cannot hang inside.  My wife revolted.  Lol.  Even my 5 mile runs (shortest) now see the clothes just soaked and nasty with the heat 

I remember when we moved to NJ from CA and had a huge apartment whioe house hunting.  It was amazing to have a giant 3 br in a luxury facility & it had a washer + dryer.
    For less than our one bedroom on the water in CA.  Far less.  
    Was a game changer, for sure.  When we bought a house obviously we had a washer/dryer but I can relate to not having one for years.
    GlowGirl said:

Thanks in advance!

Where are you running?

That is great! 👍

So you hand wash the sports bras in your sink?
    I did what you do for the short runs and non summer times ....hang over the shower and the clothes would dry by mid-day.
    However the longer distance/heat means they smell like something dead and I cannot hang inside.  My wife revolted.  Lol.  Even my 5 mile runs (shortest) now see the clothes just soaked and nasty with the heat 

I remember when we moved to NJ from CA and had a huge apartment whioe house hunting.  It was amazing to have a giant 3 br in a luxury facility & it had a washer + dryer.
    For less than our one bedroom on the water in CA.  Far less.  
    Was a game changer, for sure.  When we bought a house obviously we had a washer/dryer but I can relate to not having one for years.
    Some of the newly renovated apartments in my building have a washer/dryer (the stacked kind). But the rent is so much higher than my apartment. I have been in my apartment since 2008, so my rent would be considered reasonable for my neighborhood (but still outrageous for most of the rest of the country).

I do hand wash the sports bras in my sink with Woolite. You are really supposed to hand wash bras anyways unless you have a very gentle cycle in your washer. My running clothes definitely get soaked with sweat. But I am lucky that they don't smell too bad. Or if they do, I live alone and don't notice it :lol:
    Yeah that is a bonus of living alone - you can pretend your stuff doesn't stink!  ;)

16 miles after work, first long run of our final weekends training.... 
    Good luck!

I ran in the White Mountains this morning.  It was Half Race day, so 15.5 miles

Saw this awesome sight early in the run and had to stop, sing a little Black Sabbath, and take a pic.

After 10 I turned hard right and headed up.
    Fully intended to go 2.5 up and back down but it was intense.  Went 2 up and turned off a side road for a bit before heading back down.  Was too steep.  The run back was tougher than the run up....in order to really move fluidly on the decline I would have had to fully commit and go was faster than reasonable ... basically a sprint as fast as I could go.
    Crazy.
    Here is what it looked like about halfway into my climb.  Every turn looked like more....of this crap.

Good luck!

Saw this awesome sight early in the run and had to stop, sing a little Black Sabbath, and take a pic.

Fully intended to go 2.5 up and back down but it was intense.  Went 2 up and turned off a side road for a bit before heading back down.  Was too steep.  The run back was tougher than the run up....in order to really move fluidly on the decline I would have had to fully commit and go was faster than reasonable ... basically a sprint as fast as I could go.
    Crazy.
    Here is what it looked like about halfway into my climb.  Every turn looked like more....of this crap.

Nice job with the run. That is a cool little stone structure. What is it?  The steep roads are a nightmare. I have those when I run in my parents neighborhood. So much extra exertion. Sounds like you handled it great. 
    Called The Iron Furnace.
    Only blast furnace still standing in NH....from 1800s.  

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Haven't been on this thread in forever!  I see everyone is doing an awesome job!

So basically for the past 3 years I've been lifting but never really concentrated on cardio.  At 43 years of age it seemed like lifting was doing more bad for my body than good.  I had double hernia surgery two years ago, and over the past year I kept pulling my lower ab muscles.  So I had a long talk with the wife maybe ten days ago and we both agreed that at this age why continue lifting?  The biggest concerns for my body right now are a healthy heart, lowering my cholesterol and getting rid of the damn beer belly.  

I know it's early but I've been doing cardio for 8 days straight, I either jog with my son or hit the elliptical.  Last week I logged in 16.51 miles.  My youngest son said "daddy, your stomach is going down!" 

I go back to teaching this week and soccer season starts soon but I need to keep this up.   

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Good luck!

Crazy.

That looks like some medieval ruins you might see here! Sounds like a great run and looks pretty cool.

30 miles this morning and the training is over! 2 week taper, I won't run much atall during the final week as the race is on a Saturday and I want to be as fresh as work will allow.
    beano.79 said:
    Good luck!

Crazy.

That looks like some medieval ruins you might see here! Sounds like a great run and looks pretty cool.

30 miles this morning and the training is over! 2 week taper, I won't run much atall during the final week as the race is on a Saturday and I want to be as fresh as work will allow.
    Awesome, be sure to let us know how you are feeling right before.  Excited for you and your running mate to crush this goal.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Haven't been on this thread in forever!  I see everyone is doing an awesome job!

So basically for the past 3 years I've been lifting but never really concentrated on cardio.  At 43 years of age it seemed like lifting was doing more bad for my body than good.  I had double hernia surgery two years ago, and over the past year I kept pulling my lower ab muscles.  So I had a long talk with the wife maybe ten days ago and we both agreed that at this age why continue lifting?  The biggest concerns for my body right now are a healthy heart, lowering my cholesterol and getting rid of the damn beer belly.  

I know it's early but I've been doing cardio for 8 days straight, I either jog with my son or hit the elliptical.  Last week I logged in 16.51 miles.  My youngest son said "daddy, your stomach is going down!" 

I go back to teaching this week and soccer season starts soon but I need to keep this up.   

Great work, love to read this.  Keep it up and let us know what you commit to doing.  The cholesterol and beer belly may need more than cardio to fix but the health benefit for you will be great.
    beano.79 said:
    Good luck!

Crazy.

Awesome. I am getting excited to hear about the big day. I can’t believe it is coming up soon. 
    mcgruff10 said:

Excellent!! It is so important to work on your cardio health. I was the same way you are with the weight training but for me it was yoga. I still do yoga regularly but after 9 years of that being my main exercise I realized that no matter how much good it was doing me with my fitness it really doesn’t get my heart pounding in terms of cardio. So I started running. That has been a game changer. Keep it up the best you can. Just don’t overdue it. You need to incorporate some rest days as well. Keep us posted on the progress. 
  • Just two 3 miles so far this week. Will do around 90 mins at race pace on Sunday.. and then that will probably be that. Just rest (as much as I can while working) for the following 5 days after that. 
    Must be getting excited, already, for next weekend!

Went 20 miles this morning.  Felt strong, had to back myself down a bunch in the first half and was able to make my last mile my fastest.
    My muscles are screaming at me now, lol.  Will get some hot tub time in.
    Moving up this next week's schedule a day, will do my long run this coming week on Friday, 22 miles, so that I can travel to VT and participate in the 5k charity event on Sunday.  Looking forward that.

Not hot today, which was amazing.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Great work you guys - good luck for your respective races!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf