Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Nice going!  I have 17 miles on Saturday....not looking forward to it.  Hope your 18 goes well.

It is a nice change to have a thread where everyone is positive, even if we gripe a bit about some pains or weather issues.  All toward the goal of more miles!
    Thanks..the 18 went well. Good luck on your 17!
    Thanks!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    PJNB said:
    Still have a small hamstring injury from last summer that will not go away. If I push the miles or pace I can barely run. If I stick in the 9:00/mile range I seem to be good while running but after really feel it. Doing a lot of stretching lately to hopefully loosen it up so I can push it some more. Hope everyones summer is going good! Tough time of year to be running!
    I started doing Yin Yoga last month and it really helped loosen my legs up, maybe give it try. Just youtube yin yoga for beginners if you want 
    I heard yoga is amazing for that. I have been meaning to try that since my muscles are so tight. Thanks for the reminder! 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Still have a small hamstring injury from last summer that will not go away. If I push the miles or pace I can barely run. If I stick in the 9:00/mile range I seem to be good while running but after really feel it. Doing a lot of stretching lately to hopefully loosen it up so I can push it some more. Hope everyones summer is going good! Tough time of year to be running!
    I started doing Yin Yoga last month and it really helped loosen my legs up, maybe give it try. Just youtube yin yoga for beginners if you want 
    I heard yoga is amazing for that. I have been meaning to try that since my muscles are so tight. Thanks for the reminder! 

@GlowGirl is a yogi - I am sure she can share...
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    the positivity in this thread has brought my faith back in the forum!! I was on here constantly back in 2004-05 and then it just went for a crap so I stopped posting anything but hearing all you guys talk like actual humans to each other is brining me back again. 

My marathon training is going well, just ran 18 miles on the weekend as my long run and ramping up to 20 miles in a few weeks. GlowGirl And F me in the brain good for you for getting out there and pushing through all this heat, it's been brutal lately 
    I am glad you are finding this thread to be so positive. That is how I feel as well. Even though I don't run competitively as many do here, I find everyone here to be so supportive and motivating. I have also gotten some great tips and advice (shout out to F Me for turning me on to Smartwool products). Good luck with the marathon training. It sounds like you are almost there!!

PJNB said:
    PJNB said:

@GlowGirl is a yogi - I am sure she can share...
    Yoga is amazing. I am not sure I would call myself at Yogi, but I have had a regular practice for 11 years. I do vinyasa yoga. I definitely credit it for the fact that I rarely have any knee, hip, or other joint or muscle pain when I run. It is also amazing for balance, and mental health. If you get a chance, give it a try. There are lots of videos online. However, if you have easy access to a yoga studio, it is much better to do it in person with a teacher. Form is really important to prevent injury, and I have found that doing yoga in person can really help in terms of form correction. The other option is that these days many studios are offering live classes on Zoom - so you still get the benefit of a teacher watching you, but don't have to be there in person. Keep us posted.

• reditalianreditalian Posts: 327
    GlowGirl said:
    the positivity in this thread has brought my faith back in the forum!! I was on here constantly back in 2004-05 and then it just went for a crap so I stopped posting anything but hearing all you guys talk like actual humans to each other is brining me back again. 

My marathon training is going well, just ran 18 miles on the weekend as my long run and ramping up to 20 miles in a few weeks. GlowGirl And F me in the brain good for you for getting out there and pushing through all this heat, it's been brutal lately 
    I am glad you are finding this thread to be so positive. That is how I feel as well. Even though I don't run competitively as many do here, I find everyone here to be so supportive and motivating. I have also gotten some great tips and advice (shout out to F Me for turning me on to Smartwool products). Good luck with the marathon training. It sounds like you are almost there!!

Thanks you! it's not until Oct but it's coming faster then I want it to lol.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 633

This is good to read! Is it your first marathon?
    I know I said I will wait but I'll just pop this here now. the fund raising has started slowly, my daughter's school have been absolutely incredible during this mess and I'm trying to just raise a little money to help them with all they do for the kiddies.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/raise-funds-for-godmanchester-community-academy?utm_medium=email&utm_source=product&utm_campaign=p_email+2300-co-team-welcome
    Happy to help -- I am raising money now as well, I know every bit counts!  Good on you for what you are doing.
    Happy to help -- I am raising money now as well, I know every bit counts!  Good on you for what you are doing.
    Please share I'd be happy to contribute.
    beano.79 said:
    I know I said I will wait but I'll just pop this here now. the fund raising has started slowly, my daughter's school have been absolutely incredible during this mess and I'm trying to just raise a little money to help them with all they do for the kiddies.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/raise-funds-for-godmanchester-community-academy?utm_medium=email&utm_source=product&utm_campaign=p_email+2300-co-team-welcome
    I am happy to contribute. I will log onto the link this week. 
    Worst time on any long run, by far....but I finished, with some walking.  Fucking humidity and heat.....it'll be a while before I complain about the cold.  Today was probably my least favorite heat related day in my life.  Was totally miserable for the last few hours.  
    Oh well - finishing when miserable is the name of the game, for me.  :lol:.   
    Worst time on any long run, by far....but I finished, with some walking.  Fucking humidity and heat.....it'll be a while before I complain about the cold.  Today was probably my least favorite heat related day in my life.  Was totally miserable for the last few hours.  
    I think I mentioned before I store these runs with easy access in the memory bank. These memories are the ones that get you through a tough race. Remember how shit it was and how you smashed the granny out of it 👊
    Ha - I like the idea of smashing the granny out of it.  
    The heat and humidity are nasty today. Today would normally be a run day for me but I am visiting some friends in the Hamptons. So instead of a run day it’s a beach day for me. I did run yesterday though - but on the treadmill. I am a wimp. 
    GlowGirl said:
    The heat and humidity are nasty today. Today would normally be a run day for me but I am visiting some friends in the Hamptons. So instead of a run day it’s a beach day for me. I did run yesterday though - but on the treadmill. I am a wimp. 
    Have fun out there - good day for the beach. 
  • reditalianreditalian Posts: 327
    Goggins calls it 'filling up and then taking the cookie jar'
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
    Goggins calls it 'filling up and then taking the cookie jar'
    Yep.
    edited August 2021
    Fucking smashed the granny out of it, this morning.  :lol:.   

Beat my time from last week by 27 minutes, while running an additional mile - 18 instead of 17 miles.  No walking.  Fastest mile was my 18th

Changed a few things and was helped by a steady rain for the first 90 minutes.  While it was still hot as fuck I had the grime washed away and didn't get really overheated until the last 30-45 minutes and by that point I was on fire and determined to build to the last mile being fastest.

Only issue was my headphones stopped working halfway through.  Will need to investigate.  Could be they didn't appreciate the rain like I did.  ☔

Beat my time from last week by 27 minutes, while running an additional mile - 18 instead of 17 miles.  No walking.  Fastest mile was my 18th

Changed a few things and was helped by a steady rain for the first 90 minutes.  While it was still hot as fuck I had the grime washed away and didn't get really overheated until the last 30-45 minutes and by that point I was on fire and determined to build to the last mile being fastest.

Only issue was my headphones stopped working halfway through.  Will need to investigate.  Could be they didn't appreciate the rain like I did.  ☔
    😂😂👏👏 Love it😂

I won't tell you the context this was used for in younger days 😂

It looks like you definitely smashed it though! Great run.

Got 14 miles (just running) in after work yesterday and we have a 27 miler tomorrow (race pace with some waking)

Getting so excited now. Had alot on my plate with a new role at work, moving house... All that's done and out of the way and I cannot wait for this race
    beano.79 said:

😂😂👏👏 Love it😂

Got 14 miles (just running) in after work yesterday and we have a 27 miler tomorrow (race pace with some waking)

Getting so excited now. Had alot on my plate with a new role at work, moving house... All that's done and out of the way and I cannot wait for this race
    Yeah I figured it had another context which was part of why I found it so funny.
    27 tomorrow - whoah!

How is the fund raising going?  Haven't looked since I went when you posted.

Still can't get my headphones to power on.  Trying to charge now.  Bummed out....perhaps wearing in the rain is bad, but I figured they deal with all of the sweat and should not be bothered by rain.
    beano.79 said:

😂😂👏👏 Love it😂

Yeah I figured it had another context which was part of why I found it so funny.
    27 tomorrow - whoah!

How is the fund raising going?  Haven't looked since I went when you posted.

Still can't get my headphones to power on.  Trying to charge now.  Bummed out....perhaps wearing in the rain is bad, but I figured they deal with all of the sweat and should not be bothered by rain.
    It's going slow 😂 but usually get the best of it closer to or after the event. 

When running alone I cannot stand running without music. Bit of luck they'll dry out over the next few days.

Great job 👏👏 running in the rain and without music for most of it - that is perseverance. I can’t stand running without music. I remember a few months ago the battery wore out on my headphones when I only had two miles left. I almost headed home right then. But stuck it out. I ran almost 6 miles today. That is good for me. I am glad tomorrow is an off day with the storm brewing. 
    beano.79 said:

😂😂👏👏 Love it😂

Good luck with 27 miler. That is amazing. It sounds like your training for the big race is going well. I can’t believe how many miles some of you run. Mind blowing 🤯
    The thing that always gets me when I go without music is my breathing.  I am not quiet - but with my music blasting I can't hear it.  :lol:
    GlowGirl said:

Great job 👏👏 running in the rain and without music for most of it - that is perseverance. I can’t stand running without music. I remember a few months ago the battery wore out on my headphones when I only had two miles left. I almost headed home right then. But stuck it out. I ran almost 6 miles today. That is good for me. I am glad tomorrow is an off day with the storm brewing. 
    Great work - enjoy the off day.  I'm wondering how much rain we get tomorrow.
    edited August 2021
    27 miles done.. we have 3 training runs left! 8/16/30 miles. Then a 2 week taper. 3 weeks until we find out what were made of! 😬

Was telling my cousin (race partner) about this place and how great it is to vent running obsessions with people who maybe give a small shit 😂
    Post edited by beano.79 on
    So soon, already?!?  Wow.  27 today is a heck of day!
  • promised my collegues to start running again... been almost a year....
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"