The Food Thread

Comments

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    edited June 2021
    Blistered shishito peppers. My go to appetizer or snack, so easy and never disappoints.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,595
    Nice presentation! Have like 10 plants. Hope they produce a bunch. Lime is a great idea. I got this fancy flaked salt I used last year on them. So good.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    Loujoe said:
    Nice presentation! Have like 10 plants. Hope they produce a bunch. Lime is a great idea. I got this fancy flaked salt I used last year on them. So good.
    My brother got me a variety of gourmet salts last Christmas, I will definitely try them with the next batch. Plants are not producing near as much as usual but I think the early heat wave we experienced may have shocked them a bit. Hoping they bounce back cause I can't get enough shishitos.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Nothing fancy here or sounds quite as amazing as these last few dishes you all have posted... however Protein Bowls.

I've been experimenting with these quite often over the past few years. I recently had a career change to a more vigorous job and they really help to fuel me without making me feel too lethargic in the middle of the day. I used to be strictly keto, but gave that up after a few months. I need a healthy balance of raw and/or cooked vegetables, lean protein and about half a serving of carbs. Polish it off with some tasty dressing, hummus, etc. Have any of you been on this kick? Any tasty recipes to share?

These are a few of my stand out bowls.

Nothing fancy here or sounds quite as amazing as these last few dishes you all have posted... however Protein Bowls.

I've been experimenting with these quite often over the past few years. I recently had a career change to a more vigorous job and they really help to fuel me without making me feel too lethargic in the middle of the day. I used to be strictly keto, but gave that up after a few months. I need a healthy balance of raw and/or cooked vegetables, lean protein and about half a serving of carbs. Polish it off with some tasty dressing, hummus, etc. Have any of you been on this kick? Any tasty recipes to share?

Oops well idk.. tried to share a few pictures  but this is the only one that came through. That was the buffalo chicken bowl. Chicken cooked in a crock pot all day with onions and seasonings. Pull it apart at the end of the day. Pair it with cauli rice or reg rice/quinoa/couscous, lentils, lemon garlic cauli baked in oven, some fresh veggies. Top with a little hot sauce and even a little ranch. Kind of like a chicken wing with celery but much more filling and healthy.
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    Local joint ships these in every year for the 4th. At least some resemblance of my old Boston summers before moving down south.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Recognize those ice packs.  ;)
    Enjoy the bottom feedahs!

Haunting, your grub looks good!

The love he receives is the love that is saved

Love this idea. Will do it! I I start s job with long hours soon too and will need that heathy boost. 
    I was just reading about quinoa peanut butter snacks. May make something like that too for the week.
    Thanks for the ideas!
    Someone sent me wild salmon. Dry cajun rub, added hot pepper jelly. Put some on tortilla. Wow. The best thing i ate in a while. Didnt leave a scale for the ants.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Loujoe said:
    Someone sent me wild salmon. Dry cajun rub, added hot pepper jelly. Put some on tortilla. Wow. The best thing i ate in a while. Didnt leave a scale for the ants.
    Those sound and look tasty.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Local joint ships these in every year for the 4th. At least some resemblance of my old Boston summers before moving down south.
    Nice!

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    So many toppings to choose from today for hot dogs.
    :lol:
    #teammustard

Loujoe said:

Love this idea. Will do it! I I start s job with long hours soon too and will need that heathy boost. 
    I was just reading about quinoa peanut butter snacks. May make something like that too for the week.
    Thanks for the ideas!
    Quinoa peanut butter snacks sound like a nice energy boost, I'll definitely look up some recipes for those. My go to bowls have been the one above plus
    -a pulled pork bowl with slaw, cauili rice pintos, spinach, cukes
    - egg roll bowl (Google the recipe so good)
    -taco salad bowl bowl with zucchini (again Google and add tons of sauteed zucchini/squash)
    There are a bunch of ideas for ones with salmon as well. Haven't tried any of those yet and by the way that grilled salmon looks delicious!
    Made a batch of hummus and grilled a shitload of chicken thighs yesterday.  Going to eat this for a few days, which is just what I wanted.  So good!

• lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    Made a batch of hummus and grilled a shitload of chicken thighs yesterday.  Going to eat this for a few days, which is just what I wanted.  So good!

Damn that looks good dude. 
    On a pickled veg kick.  Pickled jalapenos, beets, and dilly beans. 
    Relatively healthy meal, also.

Much healthier than the hot dog chow down w/many beers the day prior, at least!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Last week in Newport , Rhode Island.  Sampled one of each before ordering a half dozen of the one at six o clock.  Freaking delicious.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    mcgruff10 said:
    Last week in Newport , Rhode Island.  Sampled one of each before ordering a half dozen of the one at six o clock.  Freaking delicious.  
    Any from great south bay?  We supposedly have the greatest oysters from there.  Seeing this makes me want some now.  Thanks!

@leeann
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    Any from great south bay?  We supposedly have the greatest oysters from there.  Seeing this makes me want some now.  Thanks!

@leeann
    Three were from ri and one was from ct I believe.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139

Boneless thighs? What recipe do you use?

Really wish my wife would eat those. The only kind of chicken she eats is boneless, skinless breasts. Gotta be on the most boring things to eat on the planet. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689

That looks delicious. I still haven't made the homemade hummus yet. It is something I have been wanting to do, and I know it is pretty easy. Enjoy this for the next few days. Yum!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited July 2021
    My opinion is that chicken breasts are the most overpriced and over eaten cut of meat that exists.  Unless cubing them and doing kabobs or something like that, it's so hard to do anything worthwhile and so easy to overcook and dry them out.  Thighs on the other hand, are the best.  We do boneless thighs regularly.  Pop some seasoning/rub on them and pop them on the grill.

That hummus plate looks killer
    Thanks.  Hummus should be made every day.  If it wasn't a pain in the ass to shell the beans I think I would make a few times a week.  Pickled veggies are the bomb.

Juggs, I do the same as Cliffy.
    My wife has dietary restrictions so I will put a little olive oil and salt on half of them.
    The other half I will use whatever spices feel right -- yesterday I actually tore open an old Taco Seasoning bag and used that, was great.
    Grill until done (you cannot go wrong and just cut one in half to check, they cook much faster than other chicken parts, especially if de-boned) or you can bake at high temp for 10 minutes a side or broil for less time, per side.
    So easy.  On the grill they can be crammed in there as well, not fussy about space.  (Will stick to your grill if you sleep on them so if you are not checking/moving then be sure to oil the grates quickly first.)

I can make chicken breast taste very good but it is a pain in the ass and you need to really watch -- the easiest way is to pound them down a bit.  even/quicker cook and that unevenness is what I feel causes you to have to leave them on longer than you may want and dry them out.

I go nuts growing and canning beets. It's one of my obssesions. Have about 50 in my garden. I have to get more lids to jar them. Killer and you can eat them all year. 
    Dilly beans are fun too. I have some dried chili peppers i may add too. Crazy ways to shock my taste buds.
    Loujoe said:

I go nuts growing and canning beets. It's one of my obssesions. Have about 50 in my garden. I have to get more lids to jar them. Killer and you can eat them all year. 
    Dilly beans are fun too. I have some dried chili peppers i may add too. Crazy ways to shock my taste buds.
    Oh man that sounds good.  I should do that, at some point.

Easy. My cucs are not ready, store bought/vidalia onions too. You inspired me to add add dill and stringbeans. Just put some white vin, sugar a little salt some water. Boil to melt sugar for a couple minutes. Dump over stuff, fridge and eat within like 2 months. If you seal it you should follow specific steps to sanitize and seal. Made it this morning and they taste great already!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139

chinese-happy.jpg
    Oh man. What have I become!!!
    Awesome!