Has anyone gotten the vaccine?

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hope everyone who’s feeling the shots do their thing are doing okay with time. And glad to know some have had only mild, if any, effects. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    minor lower body aches(coulda just been normal for me) couple days now of vac side armpit lymphnodes a little swollen.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Big 2nd Shot Day!

Ha, love the shirt.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Big 2nd Shot Day!

I love how all those idiots talk about a microchip that'll track their location while they walk around all day with a location tracking supercomputer in their pockets.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I got Phizer first shot, no side effects.  Second one this week.

My wife got J&J on Friday with no side effects.  I am a bit disappointed in the low efficacy rate of the J&J though.  
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Got that 2nd shot yesterday around 1:15pm. So far no side effects other than today my arm is pretty sore.
    mrussel1 said:

My wife got J&J on Friday with no side effects.  I am a bit disappointed in the low efficacy rate of the J&J though.  
    Also, that efficacy rate is pretty misleading. Those rates are compared against people in the control/placebo group. The effectiveness of their shot is way higher than that, and still (as all of these shots are being directed) is nearly 100% in preventing deaths and serious illness (ER/ICU visit).
    mrussel1 said:

Also, that efficacy rate is pretty misleading. Those rates are compared against people in the control/placebo group. The effectiveness of their shot is way higher than that, and still (as all of these shots are being directed) is nearly 100% in preventing deaths and serious illness (ER/ICU visit).
    Yes I agree that the serious illness/death prevention is very high.  But why do you say the rate is misleading compared to Phizer and Moderna which have rates in teh 90s?
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes I agree that the serious illness/death prevention is very high.  But why do you say the rate is misleading compared to Phizer and Moderna which have rates in teh 90s?
    Because all those rates are based on the placebo groups. Not the group getting the shot. So what they're saying is not that when you get Moderna/Pfiizer you still have a 5-10% of contracting the virus.  It means you have a 90/95% lower risk of contracting the disease as compared to those not vaccinated (the placebo group in trials). Apply this same deal to J&J, etc. I don't have J&J's research in front of me, but I know with Pfizer (because that's what I got) the chance of getting the virus after vax is like ~0.05%. I'm just gonna guess that chance of getting Covid is around the same, or definitely way above the efficacy rate. That's why I say the chance of getting covid after getting J&J is probably way lower than efficacy rates state. It's the biggest problem I've had during this whole shit show - the messaging and how it's carried out.

Other problem is getting enough people vaxed before these goddamn variants outrun the vax's effectiveness.
    J&J shot nearly 100% effective against death & hospitalization - the only reasons we had to (sort of) shut down our country. That's all that matters.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, it's all a mitigation process right now, which we're hoping is done as quickly and efficiently as possible, in this order (to me, at least):
    1) Stop deaths
    2) Stop severe illness/filling up hospitals
    3) Prevent spread
    4) Get vax into arms of morons so we prevent the mutation of variants, that hopefully don't turn this into a disease that effects children
    5) Get the vax into kids
    6) Stop spread to the point where we can be more sociable with each other again.
    7) Yearly booster shots for the rest of our lives.
    Ha, welp, might be getting that 3rd shot (possibly) sooner than later.

https://whyy.org/articles/tweaked-covid-vaccines-in-testing-aim-to-fend-off-variants
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    My wife and I had Moderna jab #2 Saturday Morning.  Went for our one hour walk afterwards and felt a bit tired.  By evening, was feeling a bit fatigued but my wife was in rough shape.  Sunday morning, she was doing better but I was in utter misery.  Massive, unrelenting headache, and body pain, especially to my lower back, that was brutal.  I wanted to die!  My over-all pain level was at least 8 1/2 out of ten and spiking frequently to full tilt agony. 
    But I'm not trying to scare anybody off.  My wife's reaction was much more normal.  I have a fairly compromised immune system from having had Epstein-Barr virus (which never really goes away) in the mid 1980's and low back pain issues.  So my advise is, if you are more prone to reacting to vaccines like I am, do the smart thing and get it anyway.  As bad my vaccine reaction was, for people like me, COVID would be far worse, and very possibly deadly.  Just make sure you have nothing planned for a day or two afterward. 
    I was starting to be on the upswing at 36 hours post jab, and fairly functional about 48 hours after the injection, and about 85% of normal here at 60 hours post injection.  In fact, we walked 1.7 miles today and only lost Sunday as a walking day.  It was a bit tough, but I managed OK at a moderate pace.  Sunday would have been consecutive walking day #142.  Today we started over again at walking day #1.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    Well done Brian.   Im in the awful position  of my 2nd AZ jab fast approaching  and I don't want it. My son and his gf also coming up to same situation  but they are under 30 so I feel  the risk what with  my mental state it's thrown me under the bus. 

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    Dang. Please take care all. Glad you got through it Brian.

I know it's rare,  but my wife got the J on Friday and checks all the boxes here.  So worried a bit. 

FDA, CDC pause use of Johnson and Johnson vaccine after six reported cases of rare blood clots
    By Laurie McGinley and Carolyn Y. Johnson

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Probably nothing to worry about.  Looks like they pushed this one too fast.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    mrussel1 said:
    I know it's rare,  but my wife got the J on Friday and checks all the boxes here.  So worried a bit. 

FDA, CDC pause use of Johnson and Johnson vaccine after six reported cases of rare blood clots
    By Laurie McGinley and Carolyn Y. Johnson

wife got this this sunday. several years outside the upper age though BUT complicating situation is she is seated ALL DAY. doesnt often get up, take lunch or relieve her bladder.

she believes clots would take her out on spec.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    It's basically a sick joke that they would pause the entire country's J&J vaccinations over these tiny amounts of blood clots that may not even be related, and that they know how to treat even if it happens. Due to the vaccine delays and the doubts sowed there will be exponentially more death & suffering from the FDA's actions than from the vaccine (which is probably zero).

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    It's basically a sick joke that they would pause the entire country's J&J vaccinations over these tiny amounts of blood clots that may not even be related, and that they know how to treat even if it happens. Due to the vaccine delays and the doubts sowed there will be exponentially more death & suffering from the FDA's actions than from the vaccine (which is probably zero).
    In all honesty

i know they say get what you can... I wouldn’t get J&J... the baby powder scandal a few years back, plus Woody Johnson even though just an heir, whatever he touches turns to shit

also 15m contaminated doses, they are a fucked Yo company 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Well done Brian.   Im in the awful position  of my 2nd AZ jab fast approaching  and I don't want it. My son and his gf also coming up to same situation  but they are under 30 so I feel  the risk what with  my mental state it's thrown me under the bus. 

I've read that  the occurrence of thrombosis due to the AZ vaccination is very rare and is generally related to having low platelets.  Maybe check with your doctor first to see what your platelet levels are  and get some advice on getting the second vaccination. And maybe do the same with your son and his girl friend.  That might give you all some reassurance. 
    I hope it goes well and you get through this OK, Rob.  Being vaccinated would be so much better than having COVID, of course.  Hang in there and do keep us posted! 
    Good thoughts going out for you and yours!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    edited April 2021
    Thanks brian my platelets are good I had a test a few weeks back just 2 weeks after my first.I thought  it causes low platelets  and clots which is why its odd the 2 don't  make sence together that's what I thought odd. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    CROJAM95 said:
    In all honesty

i know they say get what you can... I wouldn’t get J&J... the baby powder scandal a few years back, plus Woody Johnson even though just an heir, whatever he touches turns to shit

To be fair - the contamination was due to the production plant, not J&J. And not sure what the baby powder scandal has anything to do with it frankly, nor that MAGA idiot that owns the Jets.

Also this is the kind of stuff from a media/messaging perspective that will further put us behind the 8 ball. Terrible.

Get whatever shot you can, and I hope you have the luxury of getting an alternative then.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,015
    CROJAM95 said:
    In all honesty

To be fair - the contamination was due to the production plant, not J&J. And not sure what the baby powder scandal has anything to do with it frankly, nor that MAGA idiot that owns the Jets.

Also this is the kind of stuff from a media/messaging perspective that will further put us behind the 8 ball. Terrible.

Get whatever shot you can, and I hope you have the luxury of getting an alternative then.
    I got Pfizer.. I’m all for the science, but when there are multiples, some are better than others

imo, there should never been ANY names attached to these vaccines except to say it was a joint effort from All the companies

They should have done the Defense production Act early on, had all companies come together to make 1 vaccine. 

instead, they sow doubt by having different percent effectiveness, different options and thus certain vaccines are deemed better than others 

thats just human nature

you don’t need my opinion or some Tucker Carlson yahoo to chime in to see that

people are skeptical 
    CROJAM95 said:
    In all honesty

The Baltimore factory that contaminated 15m doses isn't part of J&J - but they do have employees there fixing the issues this week (I know a J&J employee who is doing exactly this job at this moment). I believe the prior administration appointed that factory based on some sort of political relationship but I don't have the details.

My understanding is the talcum powder "scandal" was not really true but I don't have those details either.

If your only option is to get the J&J vaccine you absolutely should get it. I personally would prefer it because it's my best chance to get full vaccination by the time I am working the PA primary election on May 18.

CROJAM95 said:
    In all honesty

The Baltimore factory that contaminated 15m doses isn't part of J&J - but they do have employees there fixing the issues this week (I know a J&J employee who is doing exactly this job at this moment). I believe the prior administration appointed that factory based on some sort of political relationship but I don't have the details.

My understanding is the talcum powder "scandal" was not really true but I don't have those details either.

If your only option is to get the J&J vaccine you absolutely should get it. I personally would prefer it because it's my best chance to get full vaccination by the time I am working the PA primary election on May 18.
    We've been working on this in the city - we were able to get The City to acknowledge poll workers as essential employees (though now all PA residents are eligible, wasn't the case of knowing that a month ago).
    CROJAM95 said:
    In all honesty

We've been working on this in the city - we were able to get The City to acknowledge poll workers as essential employees (though now all PA residents are eligible, wasn't the case of knowing that a month ago).
    Appreciate it! Even if it never really had any effect. The state government has been so flaky about COVID...

• Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658

Rob:

I can understand the nervousness , I am close to second shot and I know people my age ( mid 40's ) who did fine , some felt a little ill and one was just in bed for two days and felt awful , however all that said the few possible days of roughness is well worth the mental relief you will have to know you are vaccinated against a very deadly virus.

I have no actual proof to back this up but I do believe ( so take it for what it is worth ) that if you are stressed about it and think the worst will happen you will almost will it to happen to you. Not saying that people are all going to have no issues with the vaccine. Just try to stay positive.

Also remember all the talks we all had on our anxiety a year ago when this was blowing up.

I wish you and everyone else including myself the best on the second shot and getting a little more back to normal with my vaccinate friends.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I’ll say it here: I’m fucking terrified of the second jab!

The first threw me for a couple of days. Given my super low platelets and general ill health, I confess to having not-so-pleasant scenarios play in my head come next month. 

Just gotta man up, so to speak, and bite the damn bullet.

Anyone else in a similar position (ie, already compromised health)?
    +1 add onto the above, too, is that stress definitely ends up wearing down the immune system. I got my shot on Sunday, made sure to stay hydrated, all was good albeit very slight soreness in my arm. Then, boom, Monday and all its obligations and stresses came. I was reading my son a book while getting him ready for bed and winding down when BAM it hit me. I felt the aches and chills I know my body gets when it's starting to fight something. I'm convinced that the stress of the day decreased my body's immune system. So, if you can, try to stay as present and stress-free as possible. Stay hydrated, get some physical exercise in, eat well, electrolytes, etc, whatever you have to do to reduce your stressors.