Let’s see those pedals?

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962

This is a hot-rodded Rat clone that has modifications that make it much more suitable for use with bass. Similar to the "Bastard" I built before, this one has lots more low end and is dirtier and fuzzier sounding. Hence the name. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV

Bass board all wired up and ready to go:
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    dudeman said:

looks great! hopefully it sounds as good as it looks!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648

I posted this in another thread but I figured I'd put it here too since it is pedal related. This is my latest board and my first time doing a wet/dry setup and first time with a switching system and first time doing midi so there will be a little learning curve when it comes to programming but I'm looking forward to the control and the sonic possibilities available. Can't wait to play it. Have to make one more cable later this week then it's on.
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:

I posted this in another thread but I figured I'd put it here too since it is pedal related. This is my latest board and my first time doing a wet/dry setup and first time with a switching system and first time doing midi so there will be a little learning curve when it comes to programming but I'm looking forward to the control and the sonic possibilities available. Can't wait to play it. Have to make one more cable later this week then it's on.
    Cool! That's effing mission control right there!
    dudeman said:

looks great! hopefully it sounds as good as it looks!
    It's cool. Covers all the bases for me and it's a lot of fun. Really fun to put together too!

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2021
    dudeman said:

dudeman said:

Some new builds? What are we looking at, @dudeman? Overdrive (Love Pump) and fuzz (Merkin Grande)?

Looks like more strong work! How do they perform?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    The Love Pump is a tremolo. Going to rename that one "Throbert Downey Jr." It's really flexible in that it does really subtle pulsing or deep, hard chopped trem effects. Can be used as a clean boost too.

The Merkin Grande is a Ram's Head Big Muff clone with a 3-way Mids switch and a Tone stack bypass switch. The Tone bypass really increases the output and will drive the hell out of an amp. 

Both of them sound great so far but I haven't had the time to really crank either of them at loud volume. 
    dudeman said:
    The Love Pump is a tremolo. Going to rename that one "Throbert Downey Jr." It's really flexible in that it does really subtle pulsing or deep, hard chopped trem effects. Can be used as a clean boost too.

The Merkin Grande is a Ram's Head Big Muff clone with a 3-way Mids switch and a Tone stack bypass switch. The Tone bypass really increases the output and will drive the hell out of an amp. 

Both of them sound great so far but I haven't had the time to really crank either of them at loud volume. 
    Awesome stuff!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    man i hope those sound half as good as they look. excellent job!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

man i hope those sound half as good as they look. excellent job!
    Thanks! I'll try to get some gut shots one of these days. I'm growing more meticulous as I get older and these represent that pretty well. 

Had to do the rename. 

I have an analog delay and an envelope filter on my bench next. Those will be the last pedals for a while. Probably going to attempt to build a Tweed Deluxe 5e3 clone next. 

I don't think I posted this one yet. It's a BC-108 based Fuzz Face. The bias is set pretty low so it has that ripping velcro kind of sound.
    dudeman said:

Had to do the rename. 

I have an analog delay and an envelope filter on my bench next. Those will be the last pedals for a while. Probably going to attempt to build a Tweed Deluxe 5e3 clone next. 
    you should try selling these. if you like building them i am sure someone would buy them.

dudeman said:

Had to do the rename. 

you should try selling these. if you like building them i am sure someone would buy them.
    Thanks man! I have sold a couple and I do enjoy building them. It's difficult to find the time in between work and family to really build many more though. Definitely a fun hobby!
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

Had to do the rename. 

Thanks man! I have sold a couple and I do enjoy building them. It's difficult to find the time in between work and family to really build many more though. Definitely a fun hobby!
    Pedal pusher!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    you should build a klon clone!!!

https://youtu.be/sF3O4GmlJF4

edited March 2021
    you should build a klon clone!!!

https://youtu.be/sF3O4GmlJF4
    You know, that's been on my mind for a while. I would like to build one just to learn the ins and outs of the circuit. 

I have around 40 dirt pedals kicking around the house and I don't really need another one, but I will probably attempt the Centaur one of these days. 

Finished this one today. It's a BYOC Envelope Filter/Fixed Wah. It's my understanding that the circuit is a modified version of the old DOD 440 Envelope Filter. 
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dudeman said:
    Haha! Great minds and all that. 
    Bought the out-of-stock pedal I wanted from Sweetwater. If they never get it back in stock, I guess I get my money back. Also, as mentioned above, I signed up for an alert with the manufacturer if it's restocked there.

Are pedals like posters/vinyl -- that is, do you have to buy them as soon as they are released or get sodomized by flippers otherwise?
    It is insane right now.  Sweetwater has 1 model of Gibson les Paul on their site.  This is pandemic related as demand is high and production was slowed.

As I learn more about the guitar market it is interesting that guitars are flipped just like we do with posters.  Just at much higher dollars.
    Well, I got a call from the Sweetwater rep, and he said that he expects the pedals to be restocked by late March. So I guess, for now, I don't have to look on the secondary market.

Side note: I dig Sweetwater and all, but they call me after every order I place. It's a level of customer service that borders on irksome. 
    Major delay in my mini delay delivery. It's now looking like next year. Guess I wait -- that is, unless anyone here has a Red Witch mini Violetta Delay with which they wish to part....
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited March 2021
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dudeman said:
    Haha! Great minds and all that. 
    Bought the out-of-stock pedal I wanted from Sweetwater. If they never get it back in stock, I guess I get my money back. Also, as mentioned above, I signed up for an alert with the manufacturer if it's restocked there.

Are pedals like posters/vinyl -- that is, do you have to buy them as soon as they are released or get sodomized by flippers otherwise?
    It is insane right now.  Sweetwater has 1 model of Gibson les Paul on their site.  This is pandemic related as demand is high and production was slowed.

As I learn more about the guitar market it is interesting that guitars are flipped just like we do with posters.  Just at much higher dollars.
    Well, I got a call from the Sweetwater rep, and he said that he expects the pedals to be restocked by late March. So I guess, for now, I don't have to look on the secondary market.

Side note: I dig Sweetwater and all, but they call me after every order I place. It's a level of customer service that borders on irksome. 
    Major delay in my mini delay delivery. It's now looking like next year. Guess I wait -- that is, unless anyone here has a Red Witch mini Violetta Delay with which they wish to part....
    I ordered a Gibson SJ200 from Sweetwater back in October.  Was told December, then January, then February, and then told the standard model is discontinued.  So,  now I have been told June for the original model and I am sure it will probably be November or something like that.

I would prefer to buy from one or two stores online but tough to do that if you want something now.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    i bought a holeyboard 1-2-3 board and a walrus audio pedal board power supply yesterday. both have shipped, so it looks like i will have a nice little pedal board project to take care of this weekend.

also, saw a king of tone on facebook marketplace about midnight last night. guy wanted only $500 for it. i tried to purchase it this morning and it was already sold. they are going for over $800 to $1000 on reverb now. i guess if you snooze, you lose. damn it.

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    Just ordered a Jam Pedals Harmonious Monk Harmonic Tremelo Pedal and  Browne Amplification Protein Overdrive which is a dual drive based on a Bluesbreaker and Nobles overdrive. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:
    Just ordered a Jam Pedals Harmonious Monk Harmonic Tremelo Pedal and  Browne Amplification Protein Overdrive which is a dual drive based on a Bluesbreaker and Nobles overdrive. 
    that protein is a badass pedal. let us know what you think.

This one is a Boss CE-2 Analog Chorus clone. It is a kit from BYOC.

It nails the Wall-era Gilmour lead tone when paired with my Big Muff clone. Really pleased with how this thing sounds. Super low noise floor too.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    dudeman said:

It nails the Wall-era Gilmour lead tone when paired with my Big Muff clone. Really pleased with how this thing sounds. Super low noise floor too.
    Have you done the Mutron Octave clone? Aka the Hey Hey MyMy sounding pedal?  I’m thinking of jumping in and trying one of those.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    dudeman said:

Have you done the Mutron Octave clone? Aka the Hey Hey MyMy sounding pedal?  I’m thinking of jumping in and trying one of those.
    I haven't. Sounds cool though!

If you're just starting out, the BYOC kits are pretty great. They have detailed instructions and it's like doing paint by numbers. 

No need to know how to read a schematic unless you have to troubleshoot a non-working pedal. 

The PCBs are really solid and components are all really good.
    i put my holeyboard together yesterday. what a pain in the ass. the patch cable ends did not fit through most of the holes on the board, so it is not as clean and pretty on the top as i would like. also, it was hard to retrieve the ends of the zip ties through some of the smaller holes. had to use needle nose pliers, which were too big sometimes.

i put the power supply on first, which made it difficult to zip tie some of the pedals on the angled back deck. if i had to do it over again i probably would have installed the power supply last. i was wiring the pedals as i went, so that made for a mess of cables everywhere. also as you can see in the coming pics, the pedals did not have convenient places to attach the zip ties. either pedal control knobs or pedal toggle switches were in the way. especially on the blue note, tumnus, and boss tuner. the underside of the board is a clusterfuck of cables, so i need to clean that up. otherwise it is kind of a cool setup. pedals are on there securely and everything sounds good not being daisy chained together. it was just more of a pain than i expected.