Let’s see those pedals?

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,110
    Modules 3 and 1

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    power supply installed under top angled deck, maximum size of all 3 modules, and module 2

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

how it started, trying to figure out what i need on there and what i want to put on there.

how it ended. not sure what else i want to add. have room for one more on the top left. probably need a modulation of some sort. i plan to replace that flashback delay and trembletank reverb/tremolo at some point.

wiring clusterfuck that i still need to clean up. my ocd is on about 10 until i get this cleaned up, haha..

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    It's kind of a big job to set up a proper pedal board. Since mine are pretty well dialed in, I am hesitant to buy any more pedals so I don't have to take everything apart and start over. 

Mine are Pedaltrains and they're pretty straightforward,  but cable routing is always tedious. 

Not familiar with Holey Board. Pretty cool and interesting design!

Hang in there man! You're almost finished!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I always start with pedal placement, then guitar signal cable routing, then aux routing(expression or fave type switches...all on top of the board. Then work on the underside starts with any concessions to the previous approach, then power last. Usually takes me an afternoon and I’m pretty anal about neatness.
    dudeman said:
    It's kind of a big job to set up a proper pedal board. Since mine are pretty well dialed in, I am hesitant to buy any more pedals so I don't have to take everything apart and start over. 

Mine are Pedaltrains and they're pretty straightforward,  but cable routing is always tedious. 

Not familiar with Holey Board. Pretty cool and interesting design!

Hang in there man! You're almost finished!
    i just got some velcro cable ties and cleaned up the bottom around the power supply. i thought i really enjoyed making boards at one time. then this process made me remember that i am a "set it and forget it" kind of guy. i like tinkering with new sounds and new pedals, but when i find what sounds decent to me i am pretty much done with it as soon as something is on my board, lol. 

the holey board is a cool concept. the original ones were wooden and curved so was more ergonomic when doing the pedal dance. it made everything easier to reach because of the curved pedal board. that version would not accommodate velcro because it was wooden so the velcro would not stick. the metal one i have can use zip ties or velcro. i opted for zip ties because it seems easier than velcro. turns out i like how easy velcro is to apply. the zip ties are kind of a pain because you have to line the pedals up with the holes to get the zip ties to go through. unfortunately in this experience the holes rarely lined up with the best place to zip tie the pedals. advantage of putting the pedals on goes to velcro. but in my experience, over time the velcro wears out and pedals start falling off. will not have that issue with the zip ties.

if you like building boards i would recommend this. just realize that it is not as easy of a system as it seems. lots of trial and error. i should have planned it out better before digging in. i will know better for next time i ever build one of these.

DewieCox said:
    I always start with pedal placement, then guitar signal cable routing, then aux routing(expression or fave type switches...all on top of the board. Then work on the underside starts with any concessions to the previous approach, then power last. Usually takes me an afternoon and I’m pretty anal about neatness.
    i will definitely try it in this order next time. 

anybody that has ever jammed with me and seen my prior boards knows that neatness is not a thing for me. my boards usually look like a nightmare to the casual observer, but i knew exactly what cable goes to what pedal, haha. this is definitely the cleanest board i have ever had, and i am starting to get used to it.

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,646

This bad boy came today. Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet but will try to write a short review this week. Will test it through my mesa boogie California tweed. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    pjpjpaul said:

This bad boy came today. Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet but will try to write a short review this week. Will test it through my mesa boogie California tweed. 
    spoiler alert.

it sounds awesome!

enjoy that beauty!

Yeah, it’s great. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Questions!

Since no one ever wants to play with me, I'm looking for looping capability to make playing with myself more enjoyable. Also, I want to record. 

Would I be better off with a loop pedal or a tabletop configuration? 

And would a loop do both, or would I also then need to purchase an eight-track recorder?

Wrinkle: I don't own a computer.

Thank you.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,646
    edited April 2021
    Loving the Protein. I love the green side and think it adds some nuance that is missing in the stock Nobels pedal it takes inspiration from. It has a very sweet blues tone that was missing in a lot of my other drives so it is a nice addition to the colle tion. Love that I'm able to stack both sides or split them via my boss es8 controller. 

I just got a Jam Pedals Harmonious Monk so I'll have to try it later today. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Pedal repairs? Do I just take something to my luthier? Or do I need to find a special pedal guy? 

My DOD Distortion FX55 keeps cutting in and out. I could probably just buy a new pedal for whatever it costs me to fix this one, but I've had it for so long that I've grown accustomed to its tone.

I'm actually thinking of calling my hi-fi guy to see if he works on them. Hi-fi equipment seems closer to a pedal than a guitar to me.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Pedal repairs? Do I just take something to my luthier? Or do I need to find a special pedal guy? 

My DOD Distortion FX55 keeps cutting in and out. I could probably just buy a new pedal for whatever it costs me to fix this one, but I've had it for so long that I've grown accustomed to its tone.

I'm actually thinking of calling my hi-fi guy to see if he works on them. Hi-fi equipment seems closer to a pedal than a guitar to me.
    luthier probably would not want to mess with it.

some of those big pedal distributors like boss and dod and line 6 have specific repair shops you are supposed to take it to. i know i had a line 6 dl4 that kept breaking and i had to take it to a specific repair place and it cost me $75 each time just for them to open it up. not to even do the diagnostic or the repair. so i swore off of line 6 ever since.

you can probably check the dod website for specific repair places in your area.

honestly though, will probably cost the same or less to get a new one.

pjpjpaul said:
    Loving the Protein. I love the green side and think it adds some nuance that is missing in the stock Nobels pedal it takes inspiration from. It has a very sweet blues tone that was missing in a lot of my other drives so it is a nice addition to the colle tion. Love that I'm able to stack both sides or split them via my boss es8 controller. 

I just got a Jam Pedals Harmonious Monk so I'll have to try it later today. 
    i am glad you are digging it! i knew you would!!

ooooooh, let us know what you think of the JAM. been giving them a look on some of their pedals.

edited April 2021
    Last one for a while.  This is a Boss DM-2 Analog Delay clone.
    Post edited by dudeman on

The Big Muff train just keeps rolling. 

Got this little fella today. 

Put a compact board together. These are all DIY builds except for the Phase 90.

Makes for a pretty handy "grab and go" setup. 
    dudeman said:

I have another Coast Sonic exclusive SUF, the Astoria. Love it as far as Muffs go but find I just don’t use that sound unless I’m playing Floyd or Pumpkins. It’s the best I’ve played among a few other Muffish pedals.
    DewieCox said:
    dudeman said:

I have another Coast Sonic exclusive SUF, the Astoria. Love it as far as Muffs go but find I just don’t use that sound unless I’m playing Floyd or Pumpkins. It’s the best I’ve played among a few other Muffish pedals.
    Had a chance to play with this a lot over the weekend. It's the most articulate Muff I've heard. So far, so good!
    Nice!! SUF stuff is top of the heap. Mine is quite articulate as well, not quite as “BOOOOONNNNGGGG!!!!!!!” as a lot of them seem to be.
    anybody played the mxr dookie drive?

i am trying to figure out why a drive pedal from a huge company that mass produces them is listed for nearly $200.

is it really worth it?

DewieCox said:
    Nice!! SUF stuff is top of the heap. Mine is quite articulate as well, not quite as “BOOOOONNNNGGGG!!!!!!!” as a lot of them seem to be.
    I've really been digging into Big Muff circuits and variations lately. In the last few months I've bought a Black Arts Toneworks LSTR, SUF Amherst, Vick Audio Violet Ram's Head, Chicago Stompworks Angry Green Bear, and a reissue EHX OP-AMP Big Muff. I also built a modified version of the BYOC Large Beaver Ram's Head and I have a Wren and Cuff Box Of War on order from their custom shop. 

The amount of difference between them all is staggering when you consider they are all pretty much slightly different versions of the same circuit.
    power supply installed under top angled deck, maximum size of all 3 modules, and module 2

Can you talk about that power supply? I ordered one and I'm waiting for it to show up. What are your thoughts on the Phoenix compared to any others you have used?
    dudeman said:

Can you talk about that power supply? I ordered one and I'm waiting for it to show up. What are your thoughts on the Phoenix compared to any others you have used?
    honestly this is the first individual power supply i have ever used. my two prior pedal boards were furman powered boards that had a built in power supply, so all i had to do was plug the pedals in to the inputs the drawback with those it they only allowed for 8 9 volt inputs and 3 or 4 plugs for wall wart power supplies. i liked the phoenix because it allows for 15 inputs and one for the wall wart supply. i liked that all of the cables and adapters were included. i also liked that you could change some of the input voltages to allow for higher pedal voltages via the switches.

to be honest i did not do a ton of research. i knew i did not need a strymon supply because i do not have strymon pedals and have no interest in them. i wanted something that was more versatile than the 1 spots and isobricks, but did not want to spend as much for a ciokklate or however it is spelled. 

i do not plan to gig this board unless i start gigging my matchless or fender combo so I did not do a ton of research.

i watched a handful of youtube videos that compared several power supplies and that guided my decision as much as anything else.

mainly the videos, the inclusion of cables and adapters, the ability to power 15 pedals, and the adjustable voltage is what i based my decision on.

i watched a handful of youtube videos that compared several power supplies and that guided my decision as much as anything else.

mainly the videos, the inclusion of cables and adapters, the ability to power 15 pedals, and the adjustable voltage is what i based my decision on.
    Thanks for that. That's how I arrived at the Walrus too. I have exactly 15 powered devices on my guitar board and just about every other brand would require me to buy two separate power supplies. 

I'm excited to get this wired up when it gets here. Right now, all of my pedals are daisy chained with 1-Spots. It works well and I don't have noise issues in my house but I'll start playing outside of my home pretty soon. 

I don't have any interest in Strymon either. Actually, just about all digital pedals I tend to stay away from. Right now, all of the pedals on my guitar board are analog and they're all American made too. That's another thing that led me to the Phoenix. 

Thanks for the input!
    dudeman said:

Thanks for that. That's how I arrived at the Walrus too. I have exactly 15 powered devices on my guitar board and just about every other brand would require me to buy two separate power supplies. 

I'm excited to get this wired up when it gets here. Right now, all of my pedals are daisy chained with 1-Spots. It works well and I don't have noise issues in my house but I'll start playing outside of my home pretty soon. 

I don't have any interest in Strymon either. Actually, just about all digital pedals I tend to stay away from. Right now, all of the pedals on my guitar board are analog and they're all American made too. That's another thing that led me to the Phoenix. 

Thanks for the input!
    you're welcome man. i hope you like it. i would recommend it to anybody even though it was the first one i tried. yes it was a little more expensive than the other options, but the way i figure it, i would rather pay a premium for something that is simple, reliable, and user friendly.

it sounds like it was meant to be with the exact number of outputs!

i thought about the need for multiple power supplies too. i wanted to have the ability to expand my board if need be. the holeyboard allows for it to be expanded, but i did not want to have to buy a 2nd power supply and attach it to the board, potentially have to deal with a 2nd power plug, etc.. 15 pedals would probably be the max i would ever want to use. 16 since by boss tuner can power another 9 volt pedal on its own if i were to get in a pinch and absolutely need to power a 16th pedal.

before i put this board together i had 9 pedals daisy chained on a 1 spot. i immediately noticed that my board sounded better when each pedal had its own power supply using the walrus. i think you will be able to tell a difference as well. especially when you start playing outside of the home. the best way i could describe it is with the 1 spot daisy chain it sounded like some of the pedals were "dying", if you know what i mean.

don't get me wrong. strymon is good stuff, but i do not like it because it requires over 120 MA and higher voltage, they are digital, and they are way too versatile and complex for my brain. i would rather have fewer knobs on something analog and just dial in from there. as i get older, simplicity wins. i do not have the energy to deal with something super complex. i just want something reliable that is easy to troubleshoot if i have an issue, and sounds good.

definitely let us know what you think of the phoenix.

i love how we are all sharing info and learning from each other on here.