2020 Fall North American rumour thread

Comments

• DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    FiveBelow said:
    Unless the pandemic takes a dramatic turn, I get the sense that Pearl Jam shows as we knew them will not be happening until 2023 at the earliest.
     2023? Dude, put down the pipe bro. Vaccinations are happening now, as in February 2021. Maybe it was a typo.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    edited February 2021
    DEGBTI said:
    FiveBelow said:
    Unless the pandemic takes a dramatic turn, I get the sense that Pearl Jam shows as we knew them will not be happening until 2023 at the earliest.
     2023? Dude, put down the pipe bro. Vaccinations are happening now, as in February 2021. Maybe it was a typo.
    As I said before “PJ shows as we knew them”, meaning full capacity with no restrictions. There are still a lot of unknowns, the biggest being how long the vaccines are even effective. I want to see them again as much as the next fan, but given the tone Ed and Mike had on the Faithfull Forum, I am not holding my breath. They will play when it has been deemed safe, your guess is as good as mine when it comes to when that might be.
    Post edited by FiveBelow on
  • There is no chance in hell that the NFL, NBA, and NHL will start ANOTHER season without fans in Fall 2021. You can bet at minimum every arena will be 50% capacity in the Fall for these sporting events, and I would bet most will be at 75-100%.

Once MSG announces full capacity can resume, PJ will reschedule 2020 dates. My prediction is all 2020 dates will happen in 2022, meaning March 2020 tour will be March 2022. 

The only two X factors is PJ being overly cautious, which after listening to the Faithful Forum makes me believe 2021 is out. The second are the virus variants. It would take A LOT to fuck this up, but there’s no way the world goes on lockdown again.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,377
    Maybe Eddie does an acoustic solo tour in front of 2,000 fans this summer.
  • bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    FiveBelow said:
    bbiggs said:
    Couldn't imagine a PJ show wearing a mask to be honest.  I'll wait.
    Me neither, also couldn't imagine a PJ show at anything less than capacity.
    Agreed. 
    I think a little imagination will be required if we ever want to see these guys again.  It’s going to be like flying after 9/11.  Some things will never be exactly the same. 
    Changes to air travel were required after 9/11 for the safety of all.  If large gatherings are changed indefinitely (i.e. masks, lower capacity) once everyone has an opportunity to be vaccinated, that just simply doesn't make sense to me.  Who are we protecting at that point?  Those that voluntarily refused a vaccine? 

The vaccines are incredible, but they’re not perfect, and they may not be so good at all against the new variants.  They are part of the solution but not the whole solution.  I’ll be glad to be wrong but I think we’re going to be masking for a very long time, even after vaccines, particularly at large events.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • I hear you all, I just think the Mask mandate at any PJ concert or any concert for that matter is going to be a problem.  If there is a mandate, then some people will attend because the mandate makes them feel safe.  But as we've noted, there is no way that 90% or even 50% of the people will follow it.  So when the masks come off as soon as Go is played, then those who were relying on it will be very nervous and have their experience ruined.  They can't even enforce the masks on an airplane where you have 150-200 people, how are they going to do it for 10,000 - 20,000 people in a venue.  If you are not comfortable around people without masks, you need to wait until the Federal mandate that masks are done.  Otherwise, you will end up sitting next to BRO who isn't gonna be wearing a mask that night.  Whether you go to a MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL game or a concert.  They can't even enforce "Shirt mandates" as we've all sat next to BRO who insists on taking his shirt off right at first pitch or right as the lights go down.  I wish I had better news.  You can see it at restaurants and airplanes, at the office, and everywhere else, to some people masks do not matter.  Going forward it's just going to get worse.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • I would never trust my safety to strangers who may or may not wear a mask for whatever reason.  However there are masks that protect the wearer, and aren’t necessarily too uncomfortable.  When there are enough of those available so this can be done without depriving health care workers of what they need (and they were selling them on the home shopping channel last week for a buck or two apiece, so the supply may already be there) hand them out at the gate, combine it with a negative test and/or vaccine requirement, and let’s get the show on the road.  Time’s a wasting and the virus isn’t going to go away.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Wearing a mask for a rock concert is unfeasible and uncomfortable.  Breathing is the most important thing.  There is also the factor of eating and drinking.  Once 75-80% of people have had the vaccine it will not be necessary to wear masks in public places.  If someone doesn't want to get the vaccine they can stay home and watch live music on their TV or computer screen.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • TaftTaft Posts: 453
    There is no chance in hell that the NFL, NBA, and NHL will start ANOTHER season without fans in Fall 2021. You can bet at minimum every arena will be 50% capacity in the Fall for these sporting events, and I would bet most will be at 75-100%.

Once MSG announces full capacity can resume, PJ will reschedule 2020 dates. My prediction is all 2020 dates will happen in 2022, meaning March 2020 tour will be March 2022. 

The only two X factors is PJ being overly cautious, which after listening to the Faithful Forum makes me believe 2021 is out. The second are the virus variants. It would take A LOT to fuck this up, but there’s no way the world goes on lockdown again.

DEGBTI said:
    FiveBelow said:

Unfortunately FiveBelow is correct. Insiders in the music industry have come to the realization that 2023 is the earliest realistic target to start planning for shows to return to semi-normal. 

If you doubt that, you have no idea how difficult it is to structure a tour under the best of circumstances. With COVID it is a logistical nightmare from
    Insurance, to crew safety, to vendors, to enhanced (and expensive) security, to contingency plans for cancellations and postponements, to local rules differing city to city. And did I say insurance?

The financial risk is too great for all involved, even if you aren’t a believer in the safety risks. 

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    edited February 2021
    Taft:
    The financial risk is too great for all involved, even if you aren’t a believer in the safety risks. 

The financial risk is exactly why I think we will get shows well before 2023.  Unless you're the Rolling Stones, U2 or other mega huge acts there is no way you can be a performer and miss 3 years of live shows.  A lot of these artists are going broke fast and they will be looking to be back on the road well before 2023.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    So we have 2023 at the earliest for semi normal? Meaning not even normal? Good fucking grief. Wake me up when we have some good news. 
  • 2023 at the earliest realistic target for the US is crazy. This thing will be all but over by then. We will all be on our Covid booster shots by then. Cases will be minimal and as the other poster said, money needs to be made. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I'm not sure about 15,000 people gathering for a show or a sport (I'm sure the US will be the first to try it), but once the most vulnerable and our health care sector are vaccinated, everything will open back up to near normal. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I'm not sure about 15,000 people gathering for a show or a sport (I'm sure the US will be the first to try it), but once the most vulnerable and our health care sector are vaccinated, everything will open back up to near normal. 
    I mean, there were 25k at the super bowl.

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    2023 at the earliest realistic target for the US is crazy. This thing will be all but over by then. We will all be on our Covid booster shots by then. Cases will be minimal and as the other poster said, money needs to be made. 
    I think we could mostly agree that the best case scenario for a PJ tour is spring/summer 2022. That is only 6-9 months from 2023, what is so crazy about an additional 6-9 months? Money has been made, and they already know what they are sitting on as soon as “normal” touring is a reality again. These guys are not burning through their savings trying to survive the pandemic financially. I do not see them risking the safety of their fans and others before it has been proven safe by bands that don’t have the same luxury. Not trying to discredit or sway anyone, it is just an opinion. Trust me, I am looking forward to the days of @dimitrispearljam dropping hints.
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    My guess is fall of 2022. It takes a lot of time to schedule a tour.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    joseph33 said:
    My guess is fall of 2022. It takes a lot of time to schedule a tour.
    While it does they still have two tours that are on hold (three if you count Europe but thats another thread). Its not like they are starting from scratch. Last spring the first leg of the tour that was postponed blended into the fall tour fairly quickly. I would be curious though to know how much of the second leg swing state tour is going to be kept and what cities if any will be scrapped. 

We know next summer will be booked again for them so thats out for the most part. The fall tour last year actually was going to start in August after the reschedule so the option for a repeat of the 2020 new tour is obviously there. 

I still say if its safe next winter/spring they are touring. They listened to the health experts when they cancelled and they will listen to them again going back to shows. If that was not their intention why are they not cancelling the shows and refunding everyone as they wait for others to prove its safe? It makes no sense to me unless they intended to bounce back as soon as they safely could.

• SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    Yefa said:
    Wearing a mask for a rock concert is unfeasible and uncomfortable.  Breathing is the most important thing.  There is also the factor of eating and drinking.  Once 75-80% of people have had the vaccine it will not be necessary to wear masks in public places.  If someone doesn't want to get the vaccine they can stay home and watch live music on their TV or computer screen.
    I wear a mask while busting my ass 8+ hours a day. 3-4 hrs while doing something super enjoyable isn’t a big deal.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • FiveBelow said:
    2023 at the earliest realistic target for the US is crazy. This thing will be all but over by then. We will all be on our Covid booster shots by then. Cases will be minimal and as the other poster said, money needs to be made. 
    I think we could mostly agree that the best case scenario for a PJ tour is spring/summer 2022. That is only 6-9 months from 2023, what is so crazy about an additional 6-9 months? Money has been made, and they already know what they are sitting on as soon as “normal” touring is a reality again. These guys are not burning through their savings trying to survive the pandemic financially. I do not see them risking the safety of their fans and others before it has been proven safe by bands that don’t have the same luxury. Not trying to discredit or sway anyone, it is just an opinion. Trust me, I am looking forward to the days of @dimitrispearljam dropping hints.
    So I don't know how it works, but I wonder if they feel pressure to get on the road for some of their employees. The band obviously has enough money but I would imagine a tour would help some other people a lot more. 
    I'm not sure about 15,000 people gathering for a show or a sport (I'm sure the US will be the first to try it), but once the most vulnerable and our health care sector are vaccinated, everything will open back up to near normal. 
    all seated and spaced out. not moving around. big difference than in a floor mosh pit. not saying it was a grand idea, but there is a difference. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I'm not sure about 15,000 people gathering for a show or a sport (I'm sure the US will be the first to try it), but once the most vulnerable and our health care sector are vaccinated, everything will open back up to near normal. 
    all seated and spaced out. not moving around. big difference than in a floor mosh pit. not saying it was a grand idea, but there is a difference. 
    I’d take a concert seated and spaced out.  I know that puts me in the minority, but it would actually be kind of civilized.  

I’d take a concert seated and spaced out.  I know that puts me in the minority, but it would actually be kind of civilized.  
    the only show I've ever been to where every single person was on their ass was Eric Clapton, and I hated it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Yefa said:
    I wear a mask while busting my ass 8+ hours a day. 3-4 hrs while doing something super enjoyable isn’t a big deal.
    That’s kinda my point.  Wearing a mask for a whole show would make it much less enjoyable.  If concertgoers are vaccinated we won’t need masks at the show.

You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    2022 here we come.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Yefa said:
    Yefa said:
    That’s kinda my point.  Wearing a mask for a whole show would make it much less enjoyable.  If concertgoers are vaccinated we won’t need masks at the show.

I dunno about that.  The vaccines are very good, unbelievable really, but they’re not perfect.  If an Even Bro is hacking up a lung, I’d be more comfortable with a mask, vaccine or no vaccine.  

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    100 Pacer said:
    2022 here we come.

• fucking fuck i'm really missing live music. i'm old and this is super hard to deal with right now.
    i just want to listen to john prine and have that pretty stuff make me cry...so sad...MISS IT BAD
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I had a dream I was at a Headstones show the other night.  I was supersad when I woke up :(
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617

2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have-herd-immunity-by-april-11613669731

Hope this guy is right and we will be back to normal very soon.