Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    I have bad feet (born with them) and bad knees due to being a catcher playing softball for many years; I just wanted to chime in and say that EVERY time I log into the forum, and come to AET; this thread comes up and without fail I read the entire thread name, "anyone here tried this new thing .  . called jogging".  It never fails to draw me in, as if I NEVER saw it before.  What's the new thing?? F me, it's jogging AGAIN . . or STILL.  Every friggin' time since the day it was posted.  Never actually read the thread  (not one single response) so not even sure you're all still talking about jogging but I'm hoping if I respond I will kill it forever.  I have that affect sometimes.  :)
    This thread started was started by someone who was just starting to try jogging and wanted to get some tips. It has since turned into a thread about running. If the OP wants to change the name, that is up to them. However, this thread is great for those of us who regularly run, and there are quite a few of us who participate, which is why it moves to the top so often. We are still talking about running. If you read through you will see that some are serious runners training for marathons, while others like me just enjoy running. We share tips, motivate each other, etc. I have learned quite a lot about running from people here and have improved my running skills, gotten great advice about running gear, etc. I have also gotten tremendous motivation from other runners here, which helped me to up my miles over the past summer. It has been my pleasure to cheer on those who were participating in races from miles away. We have also been supportive when someone suffers an injury. While running is not for everyone, it has really helped me - especially during this pandemic. I really appreciate this thread and hope it keeps going.

I have no problem with the thread and it's intention, I'm all for supporting one another, it's just that since jogging is out of the question for me, I never read it.  But I still read the thread title every time as if it was the first time I came across it.   =)  I wasn't seriously trying to get it to go away.  
    No worries. I get it. There are lots of threads on here that I don’t read because they are not relevant to my interests. Thank SC for the thread title. I didn’t know it was from Anchorman, but now it makes more sense. Btw - I like that we both have screen names that are Who songs. I’m a huge fan. 
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    Oh my GlowGirl, good on you; I did not make the connection to your username and a lot of people think my username is suggestive or perverted because they are not aware of the genius that is Pete Townshend (psst. look at my tag)  You brought me back in time, Odds and Sods.  To reference the reason we are all here, don't it make you SMILE. 

So I will leave this thread, enjoy the conversation and keep supporting one another. I apologize for briefly hijacking the thread.  No harm was intended,  

Carry on, jog on, run on . . .whatever is you all do, LOL.  Seriously, my best to all, stay safe.  

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited February 2021
    I still have to do it, tonight, after the kid is in bed.

Thanks for your encouragement!  Yes, the fasting is very difficult to start with but exercise on top of it is crazy hard.  Had 90 mins of PT last night and I was breathing hard the whole time, drank three bottles of water.  Everything felt like I was working in quicksand 

Truth be told, I kind of liked it.  Just as with the fasting itself, doing things like this makes me feel like I can do so much more than I give myself credit for.  It is a major mind fuck and I like that.

That being the case, I really want to eat!
    Am guessing that your dreadmill run is finished now and that when you wake up you can eat. Yay you! And good luck with restarting the runs. 

Thanks.  I feel.....more like a human?  I had to go and dig the power cable and hose out from the snow/ice so that I could get the motor for the pool cover water pump to work this morning.  Probably took me 5 minutes, and was a little strenuous.
    When I came back inside I was panting like I was coming back in the front door from a run, where I really got after it the last quarter mile.
    :lol:

I think after lunch that I should feel pretty much back to normal.  Crazy to see what this thing does to the body -- it is a bit different reaction each time I do it.  14 pounds in 5 days.  Will probably add at least 10 of those back in the next 1-2 days, if not all of it.  My body will now work very hard to hold in everything I give it for a few days.  :)

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    I still have to do it, tonight, after the kid is in bed.

Thanks for your encouragement!  Yes, the fasting is very difficult to start with but exercise on top of it is crazy hard.  Had 90 mins of PT last night and I was breathing hard the whole time, drank three bottles of water.  Everything felt like I was working in quicksand 

Truth be told, I kind of liked it.  Just as with the fasting itself, doing things like this makes me feel like I can do so much more than I give myself credit for.  It is a major mind fuck and I like that.

That being the case, I really want to eat!
    Am guessing that your dreadmill run is finished now and that when you wake up you can eat. Yay you! And good luck with restarting the runs. 

Thanks.  I feel.....more like a human?  I had to go and dig the power cable and hose out from the snow/ice so that I could get the motor for the pool cover water pump to work this morning.  Probably took me 5 minutes, and was a little strenuous.
    When I came back inside I was panting like I was coming back in the front door from a run, where I really got after it the last quarter mile.
    :lol:

I think after lunch that I should feel pretty much back to normal.  Crazy to see what this thing does to the body -- it is a bit different reaction each time I do it.  14 pounds in 5 days.  Will probably add at least 10 of those back in the next 1-2 days, if not all of it.  My body will now work very hard to hold in everything I give it for a few days.  :)

14lbs in 5 days. That's nuts 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited February 2021
    It'll be back within a week.  Have to add food back slowly the first few days.  Good news is tomorrow is Super Bowl....so I will pig out.  :lol:
    (Although the menu is healthier this year)
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    It'll be back within a week.  Have to add food back slowly the first few days.  Good news is tomorrow is Super Bowl....so I will pig out.  :lol:
    How long have you been doing these fasts? What got you started on it? Just curious. I don’t think I could last 2 days without getting a massive headache. You must have a lot of willpower. 
    GlowGirl said:
    How long have you been doing these fasts? What got you started on it? Just curious. I don’t think I could last 2 days without getting a massive headache. You must have a lot of willpower. 
    2017 I think is when I started the quarterly fasts.

I am one of the most stubborn and obstinate people you know.
    I have two gears.  I don't give a fuck, or I'm all in.
    edited February 2021
    The fastest I've lost weight was 12lbs in 48 hours. Stomach bug. Lol Everytime people ask me for weight-loss advice, I tell them to lick the space bar of every keyboard in their office during flu season and let the double dragon do the work. 
    Post edited by crookedcross on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    3 more weeks until I start running again for the summer season to come after a winter hiatus since September...both dreading and looking forward to it. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    You do short runs, very fast?  
    Short runs very slow lol
    2-3 miles at 9-10 minutes/mile.
    Oh I thought I remembered you turning 6 or 7s.
    I run 9-10 generally, part of the slow club!
    Oh, at one point I was doing 7s, but not anymore lol
    Oh, at one point I was doing mid 7s, but not anymore lol
    rgambs said:
    Wow that is amazing. I am part of the even slower club. My average is about 10:15-10:30.  I have had a few good days where it is 10:00, but those are not as often. I am generally closer to 10:30.
    GlowGirl said:
    rgambs said:
    Wow that is amazing. I am part of the even slower club. My average is about 10:15-10:30.  I have had a few good days where it is 10:00, but those are not as often. I am generally closer to 10:30.
    I'm right there with you. Lol Sprints, I'm decent. Anything past 400m though, I'm toast. Haha
    Program got me doing a 10-miler today. I got up and didn't feel right. Somehow strained my neck in yesterday's run. It also doesn't help that I'm hungover. Lol been delaying starting for 4 hours now. I think I'm just a little spooked and making excuses. Haha. I've decided to go at it after lunch-ish
    Program got me doing a 10-miler today. I got up and didn't feel right. Somehow strained my neck in yesterday's run. It also doesn't help that I'm hungover. Lol been delaying starting for 4 hours now. I think I'm just a little spooked and making excuses. Haha. I've decided to go at it after lunch-ish

Depending on the severity of the hangover, I prefer to do it right away.  Feel much better after.
    I cannot wait until a 10 miler is part of the rotation again.  About died doing the 60 second runs I was doing this weekend, being off from actual running since late November killed my cardio.  (Or, I have Covid/Long Haul Symptoms or something!)

One mile at a time!
    Was I on the treadmill this morning for 55 minutes or 5 hours? Who can tell anymore :).
    Hahaha.  Especially with that mask on!
    Hahaha.  Especially with that mask on!
    I know. The mask makes it especially dreadful. Last year, I was able to start running outside again in March - so hopefully just another month or so of treadmill time. Hopefully, you will get your cardio strength back soon. November is a while. Don't be too hard on yourself. It will come back, and before you know it we will be on here complaining about running in the heat of the summer.

edited February 2021

Surprisingly I was able to do right around 10 a mile. Ended up doing an extra mile, 11 total. Honestly I think I could've pushed through two more, but I decided to "trust the process". Lol

Depending on the severity of the hangover, I prefer to do it right away.  Feel much better after.
    I cannot wait until a 10 miler is part of the rotation again.  About died doing the 60 second runs I was doing this weekend, being off from actual running since late November killed my cardio.  (Or, I have Covid/Long Haul Symptoms or something!)

One mile at a time!
    No kidding. I have noticed that.  The same goes with weightlifting. You go in there after a week off thinking you're still the same beast and reality slaps you real quick. Lol

Hope PT is going well. It may be shitty, but you're doing a lot more than some people who have zero excuses to not do work. 

Surprisingly I was able to do right around 10 a mile. Ended up doing an extra mile, 11 total. Honestly I think I could've pushed through two more, but I decided to "trust the process". Lol
    Sweet!
    Yeah, for sure trust the process.  Don't want to injure yourself.  Great that you felt strong at the finish.

Awesome. That’s great that you felt like you could do more. What’s next on your training plan?
    GlowGirl said:

Awesome. That’s great that you felt like you could do more. What’s next on your training plan?
    So this is the last run of Part 1. Moving on to Part 2, but I haven't looked into what's over there. All I know is it will be in Japan. Part 1 was in Bolivia. I'm taking a day off maybe two after this one.
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 634

4 miles after work. Sometimes you just have to stop and take it in a while.
    That is beautiful!
    beano.79 said:

Beautiful. Your view was much nicer than my treadmill view today. Is it cold where you are. I felt like I could have handled the temperature outside. However, the sidewalks are still icy in spots, so I need to wait until it all melts.

• beano.79beano.79 Posts: 634
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

Beautiful. Your view was much nicer than my treadmill view today. Is it cold where you are. I felt like I could have handled the temperature outside. However, the sidewalks are still icy in spots, so I need to wait until it all melts.

It was around -2°c at about 5pm here. Were having bit of a cold snap at the moment, we rarely have consistent weather here in England. Tonight will get to -8°c, which where I live is pretty cold and rare. We have had so much rain this winter, lots of miserable weather and flooding.