Capitol Hill Riots

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    PJPOWER said:
    Question.

How many people did it look like stormed the Capital?

I am now hearing a few thousand perhaps.  

How many actually got in?  200?

Just curious if numbers were thrown around.
    If that’s the case, could it be said that it was “mostly peaceful”?  /s
    the rally and the capital riot were two different events. 

the rally looked peaceful. the riot was not. see, they were separate events. 
    They built a gallows. 
    weird. i didn't see a gallows at the RALLY. 
    I'm not sure that it would have functioned correctly but they put up a wooden structure with a noose
    Agreed, but considering the way they stormed the building and the violence they inflicted upon the police officers, I think the crowd loses the benefit of the doubt that the gallows was merely symbolic. 

It should be assumed their intent was exactly what they declared, to "Hang Mike Pence". 
    agreed
    100%.  This was not a joke. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Just imagine what could have happened if AOC or Pelosi, Shumer,etc., had been cornered by some of the elements in that crowd.  

I'm real curious about facts that we haven't been made aware of yet.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    AOC says she was hiding in her bathroom while people were trying to get into her office. 

I don't think we truly appreciate how close we came to seeing a big name killed.* It's not hyperbolic to say that her life was in jeopardy nor that someone like Pelosi or Pence could have been killed if seconds/minutes had been lost.  But hey, let's move on!

*And of course there's a lot of ignoring of those that did die, including the cop beaten to death on the scene. But realistically if a lawmaker had been killed the GOP would not be able to do this "time to move on" shtick.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • OnWis97 said:
    AOC says she was hiding in her bathroom while people were trying to get into her office. 

I don't think we truly appreciate how close we came to seeing a big name killed.* It's not hyperbolic to say that her life was in jeopardy nor that someone like Pelosi or Pence could have been killed if seconds/minutes had been lost.  But hey, let's move on!

*And of course there's a lot of ignoring of those that did die, including the cop beaten to death on the scene. But realistically if a lawmaker had been killed the GOP would not be able to do this "time to move on" shtick.
    Thanks for that article.  I hadn't read that.  It proves to me that AOC likes to stroke the flames too.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    OnWis97 said:

Thanks for that article.  I hadn't read that.  It proves to me that AOC likes to stroke the flames too.

Talking about a real thing that happened to her is stoking the flames?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • OnWis97 said:

Yikes
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    edited February 2021
    OnWis97 said:

OnWis97 said:

Yikes
    Her comment about the officer outside her door may not have her best interest at hand.

She is saying that she can't trust a cop at that point.  Did she feel this way before or after what happened?  The video was recorded 2 days ago so I wonder if she had time to think about it or that is really what she thought at that very moment?

I'd like to move this discussion to the AOC thread too.

Edit: NVMD.  Did some more digging.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
    OnWis97 said:

OnWis97 said:

Yikes
    Her comment about the officer outside her door may not have her best interest at hand.

She is saying that she can't trust a cop at that point.  Did she feel this way before or after what happened?  The video was recorded 2 days ago so I wonder if she had time to think about it or that is really what she thought at that very moment?

She was saying she did not know who the person was. I believe that was her whole point. She was locked in her bathroom and all she heard was some man screaming "Where is she? Where is she?" Given all the hate mail she likely receives from Trump supporters and given how Trump terrorists were currently invading the Capitol building, I think it is perfectly reasonable for her to have those thoughts. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • OnWis97 said:

OnWis97 said:

Yikes

She was saying she did not know who the person was. I believe that was her whole point. She was locked in her bathroom and all she heard was some man screaming "Where is she? Where is she?" Given all the hate mail she likely receives from Trump supporters and given how Trump terrorists were currently invading the Capitol building, I think it is perfectly reasonable for her to have those thoughts. 
    Well after reading a few other articles she wasn't in her bathroom she was with the Rep Porter so the Fortune article is crap altogether...
    OnWis97 said:

OnWis97 said:

Yikes

Well after reading a few other articles she wasn't in her bathroom she was with the Rep Porter so the Fortune article is crap altogether...
    I believe she was in her bathroom before fleeing to Porter's office. You should watch the video when you have the chance to put it into context. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • OnWis97 said:

OnWis97 said:

Yikes

I believe she was in her bathroom before fleeing to Porter's office. You should watch the video when you have the chance to put it into context. 
    I'm only able to read at the moment but I will get a look later, TY.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    "Storming the Capitol" includes everyone who crossed the police lines and the fenced area. It was being readied for the inauguration and thus was "closed to the public." If you were there, on the other side of the line, you "stormed the capitol" and should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law. The minimization begins. Well, it was only a hundred people arrested..............I heard it was fifty.................More like twenty five charged........................Ten went to court and had a jury trial.....................Only one was convicted..................And a misdemeanor at that. How can they call it an insurrection or attempted coup?
    No one here is minimizing it. There was a discussion about the wide range of reported numbers. That isn't minimizing it.
  • mace1229 said:
    "Storming the Capitol" includes everyone who crossed the police lines and the fenced area. It was being readied for the inauguration and thus was "closed to the public." If you were there, on the other side of the line, you "stormed the capitol" and should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law. The minimization begins. Well, it was only a hundred people arrested..............I heard it was fifty.................More like twenty five charged........................Ten went to court and had a jury trial.....................Only one was convicted..................And a misdemeanor at that. How can they call it an insurrection or attempted coup?
    No one here is minimizing it. There was a discussion about the wide range of reported numbers. That isn't minimizing it.
    Sounds like it to me. How many people "got inside." Only 200, from a crowd of 50,000 at the rally. Seems like an attempt to minimize because hey, only 200 "got inside."
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mace1229 said:
    Sounds like it to me. How many people "got inside." Only 200, from a crowd of 50,000 at the rally. Seems like an attempt to minimize because hey, only 200 "got inside."
    Yeah no one is minimizing anything you tool and it was 85 people arrested so far.

I was actually asking a question because like, I was curious.  That's still ok ain't it guvna?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    Not if that is true and accurate. If people are claiming 10,000 stormed when it was 200, stating so is not minimizing it. There's no official count that I've seen, but I trust the first numbers more than what people are saying a month later.
  • mace1229 said:
    Yeah no one is minimizing anything you tool and it was 85 people arrested so far.

I was actually asking a question because like, I was curious.  That's still ok ain't it guvna?
    "Tool?" Sorry, can't grasp it. Minimizer. Its ok for me to have an opinion, eh? Sounds like you're minimizing, again, to me. Now, because I think that, does it make it true? You seem to think otherwise. I think you are. So there. Tool? Guess you showed me.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Funny how some get so offended when not even quoted, eh? OMG, an opinion I don't agree with! The horror!

Brilliantati©
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    mace1229 said:

85?  I'm pretty certain I saw that 160+ have been charged thus far.  I don't know about 'arrested' but I assume you are using the word as indicating charges filed. 
  • Funny how some get so offended when not even quoted, eh? OMG, an opinion I don't agree with! The horror!
    I quoted you because of the after comment.  If you didn't direct that first part at me then I'll move on.

I'm not offended at all, you're still a tool.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    OnWis97 said:

OnWis97 said:

Yikes

Did you read any of that stuff?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I quoted you because of the after comment.  If you didn't direct that first part at me then I'll move on.

Grasping. 

Brilliantati©
  • OnWis97 said:

OnWis97 said:

Yikes

Did you read any of that stuff?
    What stuff in particular and I will show the articles in question?

Grasping. 
    So did you you or didn't you direct your tirade at me?
    edited February 2021
    Seems like a lot of radicalized people to me

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Seems like a lot of radicalized people to me

So, if those who marched to the Capitol were considered part of the riot... I think we can move past the 'couple of hundred' number that's getting thrown around. 
  • Seems like a lot of radicalized people to me

There is one from inside that was taken that was even better.  It shows the whole crowd and beyond.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    I'm assuming the only people in this forum who have been through active shooter drills are the teachers. Maybe some others.

Those who have been through a lockdown drill know that banging on a door shouting "Where is she?" is most definitely not part of the good guy's script. As part of the drill, we hostages are taught to ignore the people who bang on our doors. We are taught that the drill, or god help us a live situation, is over safely only when law enforcement unlocks our door with a master key. We ignore PA announcements, phone calls, emails -- because we don't know if there is a gun to the head of the person making them. 

So yeah, if I were in AOC's shoes, there is no way in hell I would have trusted that cop. That cop needs some extra training in active shooter situations because what he did was not how it's supposed to be done, as far as I've learned from locking down since Columbine. 

I don't claim to know why Capitol Police wouldn't have a master key to open doors, or what procedures have been taught to the people who work there. But what happened here ain't what they teach us in a school setting.
  • This one.
    Before rioters stormed the US Capitol Trump supporters called for violence  online - CNN
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Seems like a lot of radicalized people to me

Around 200 or so. That's Trump math there. "A lot of people are saying...", "Everyone knows...", "The biggest..." Until large numbers equal bad, then it's just a few out of the masses. Everyone past the barricades "stormed" the capitol. Not all made it in, but the whole thing was treasonous.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I'm assuming the only people in this forum who have been through active shooter drills are the teachers. Maybe some others.

Those who have been through a lockdown drill know that banging on a door shouting "Where is she?" is most definitely not part of the good guy's script. As part of the drill, we hostages are taught to ignore the people who bang on our doors. We are taught that the drill, or god help us a live situation, is over safely only when law enforcement unlocks our door with a master key. We ignore PA announcements, phone calls, emails -- because we don't know if there is a gun to the head of the person making them. 

So yeah, if I were in AOC's shoes, there is no way in hell I would have trusted that cop. That cop needs some extra training in active shooter situations because what he did was not how it's supposed to be done, as far as I've learned from locking down since Columbine. 

I don't claim to know why Capitol Police wouldn't have a master key to open doors, or what procedures have been taught to the people who work there. But what happened here ain't what they teach us in a school setting.
    I cannot imagine them giving all of the security there master keys.  That would be crazy.  It's a much different scenario then your school.  Cause they are going to try and move people...you just sit tight.  

But, you would think they would have a specific protocol for that situation.  The fact that AOC was moving back and forth is nits to begin with.  The fact the cop was just banging was crazy.  They definitely need to work on some emergency management protocols.  I wonder what would happen if there was a fire there.... I'll assume by their lack of preparation there would be a lot of panic.
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.