2020 Fall North American rumour thread

Comments

• 2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
    PJNB said:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/anita-anand-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-1.5867870

Procurement Minister Anita Anand says Canada doesn't need to approve additional vaccine candidates to meet its goal of inoculating everyone who wants a COVID-19 shot by September and that its target could be reached ahead of schedule. 

Canada gave the green light to Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna's messenger RNA vaccines last month, but independent regulators are still reviewing other candidates, such as the AstraZeneca-Oxford product.

"Prior to Christmas ... we exercised 20 million options of Moderna. So that allows us to have 40 million doses of Moderna now in addition to our 20 million Pfizer doses," Anand said on Sunday in an interview on Rosemary Barton Live. "That allows us to hit about 30 million Canadians."

Both vaccines must be administered twice. 

Under the contracts it has signed, Ottawa can still receive up to 56 million more doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Anand told CBC Chief Political Correspondent Rosemary Barton that discussions are ongoing to exercise that option.

"We will be on track, without doubt, to ensure inoculations for all Canadians who want it by the end of September, if not sooner," she said. "That is the goal that I am pursuing every single day, moving up that end of September timeline so that we can see ourselves through to the other side of this pandemic as quickly as possible."

Bring on the fall Canadian tour. :wink:

Let us all hope!
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    demetrios said:
    PJNB said:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/anita-anand-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-1.5867870

Procurement Minister Anita Anand says Canada doesn't need to approve additional vaccine candidates to meet its goal of inoculating everyone who wants a COVID-19 shot by September and that its target could be reached ahead of schedule. 

Canada gave the green light to Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna's messenger RNA vaccines last month, but independent regulators are still reviewing other candidates, such as the AstraZeneca-Oxford product.

"Prior to Christmas ... we exercised 20 million options of Moderna. So that allows us to have 40 million doses of Moderna now in addition to our 20 million Pfizer doses," Anand said on Sunday in an interview on Rosemary Barton Live. "That allows us to hit about 30 million Canadians."

Both vaccines must be administered twice. 

Under the contracts it has signed, Ottawa can still receive up to 56 million more doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Anand told CBC Chief Political Correspondent Rosemary Barton that discussions are ongoing to exercise that option.

"We will be on track, without doubt, to ensure inoculations for all Canadians who want it by the end of September, if not sooner," she said. "That is the goal that I am pursuing every single day, moving up that end of September timeline so that we can see ourselves through to the other side of this pandemic as quickly as possible."

Bring on the fall Canadian tour. :wink:

Let us all hope!
    I am really hoping right now Canada in November are the first shows of this tour. Cross Canada tour then the states in the spring 2022/Europe summer 2022/States again in the fall 2022. Australia and SA in 2023. That is the best case scenario right now I think. 
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    edited January 2021
    The world has to be safe before they travel. Even if it's just 15 shows in the USA, those are still super-spreader events with a potential to spread COVID globally.

They won't do anything until the world is safe...and I'd like to think people understand that, but I'm not sure everyone does.

There is a totally unconfirmed rumor that Europe won't happen this year.

I can see small, local clubs/bars definitely doing stuff this year...stuff like 1000-2000 capacity and bands that don't have traveling fans. Bigger stuff? It's good news that NBA/NHL arenas are going to have fans soon, but those are a far cry from sold-out shows with fans who travel all over the world.

And as far as testing goes? How does anyone know that someone will stay entirely isolated after receiving mutiple tests? They'd have to stay at home and the rest of their family would also have to stay at home. Nobody in or out.

Next-day edit:
    Maybe not totally unconfirmed:
    https://www.pearljamonline.it/en/pearl-jam-will-postpone-their-euro-tour-2021/
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    The world has to be safe before they travel. Even if it's just 15 shows in the USA, those are still super-spreader events with a potential to spread COVID globally.

They won't do anything until the world is safe...and I'd like to think people understand that, but I'm not sure everyone does.

I can see small, local clubs/bars definitely doing stuff this year...stuff like 1000-2000 capacity and bands that don't have traveling fans. Bigger stuff? It's good news that NBA/NHL arenas are going to have fans soon, but those are a far cry from sold-out shows with fans who travel all over the world.

And as far as testing goes? How does anyone know that someone will stay entirely isolated after receiving mutiple tests? They'd have to stay at home and the rest of their family would also have to stay at home. Nobody in or out.

Next-day edit:
    If we hit a spot this fall, which I think we will, that everyone who wants to get vaccinated is vaccinated what then? How can we do better than that? What are we waiting for at that point to move ahead with normalcy if the hospitals are stabilized and everyone that is in the high risk has been taken care of? 

Fauci thinks that Bidens first 100 days there can be 100 million vaccinations. That is 50 Million people vaccinated many being the most vulnerable. This summer it will speed up even more. At that point when you include kids and certain adults with conditions that will not allow them to get the vaccine this is pretty close to as good as we are going to get. I honestly will be surprised if the US is even able to get to half of its population vaccinated when you take those groups as well as anitvaxxers into the equation. I ask again then what?

Peoples fears and conditioning from this virus and lockdowns is real but at some point they need to either let go of those fears and return to normalcy or let it consume them and take over their lives. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,449
    PJNB said:

Next-day edit:
    If we hit a spot this fall, which I think we will, that everyone who wants to get vaccinated is vaccinated what then? How can we do better than that? What are we waiting for at that point to move ahead with normalcy if the hospitals are stabilized and everyone that is in the high risk has been taken care of? 

Fauci thinks that Bidens first 100 days there can be 100 million vaccinations. That is 50 Million people vaccinated many being the most vulnerable. This summer it will speed up even more. At that point when you include kids and certain adults with conditions that will not allow them to get the vaccine this is pretty close to as good as we are going to get. I honestly will be surprised if the US is even able to get to half of its population vaccinated when you take those groups as well as anitvaxxers into the equation. I ask again then what?

Peoples fears and conditioning from this virus and lockdowns is real but at some point they need to either let go of those fears and return to normalcy or let it consume them and take over their lives. 
    I agree. The correctional facility I work at made the vaccine available to all of our staff last Saturday. Only 35% got it. If that is indicative of the rest of the nation, then at what point do we have to consider moving forward without true herd immunity? The current situation can't be kept indefinitely. 
  • PJNB said:

Next-day edit:

Vaccines are only 1 part of this though. Think about how many people travel to concerts. Each venue and artist will have to establish rules and a baseline for who can attend. That becomes a slippery slope and to me that is going to take a lot of time to figure out to avoid any liability issues that may come up
    edited January 2021
    PJNB said:

Next-day edit:

Vaccines are only 1 part of this though. Think about how many people travel to concerts. Each venue and artist will have to establish rules and a baseline for who can attend. That becomes a slippery slope and to me that is going to take a lot of time to figure out to avoid any liability issues that may come up
    It maybe only 1 part of this but it is "the" part that matters. There will be no rules or baseline on who can and cannot attend a show. That is not where we are going to be heading with regards to Pearl Jam concerts. 

If the nation that is hosting the concert says they have vaccinated every willing person that they can then you can not get any better than that as far as I am concerned aside from a mandatory vaccination program which we are not heading to. After that their is no liability issues for anyone other than those that refused the vaccine which lies on themselves. If you factor in others travelling in from other countries that is up to the government to allow or not allow. If we are able to have concerts again then we will have open borders again with it so it will be a non issue. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
    As said, vaccines play one part in this.

But if anyone is overly optimistic...

Someone posted the new 2021 analog members shirt and the comparison to the Bonnaroo logo. There was a PJ hoodie in 2016 with a logo, not entirely dissimilar to the 2021 shirt...

Pearl Jam also did Bonnaroo in 2016, right?

I'm just saying.

Bonnaroo is currently scheduled for September 2-5.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,990
    PJNB said:

Next-day edit:

I’m not sure that’s true - right now it’s not really up to venues and artists (since mass gatherings are prohibited by the states/municipalities), and I don’t think that’s going to change until the spread of the virus is under control (with the vaccination program probably being the biggest factor in getting us there). I don’t think you’re going to see a situation where venues and artists are left to make decisions for themselves before this thing is fully stomped out. 
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873

Someone posted the new 2021 analog members shirt and the comparison to the Bonnaroo logo. There was a PJ hoodie in 2016 with a logo, not entirely dissimilar to the 2021 shirt...

I'm just saying.

Interesting thought but I doubt they play Bonnaroo with the Nashville show on the postponed list. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    edited January 2021
    JojoRice said:

I'm just saying.

Interesting thought but I doubt they play Bonnaroo with the Nashville show on the postponed list. 

Ohhh yeah. Good point.

They had to move that one show in 2016 due to it being too close to Bonnaroo.

The reasonable option would be to refund Nashville and give some sort of priority to those fans for Bonnaroo.

But the Bonnaroo thing is probably a coincidence.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910

The reasonable option would be to refund Nashville and give some sort of priority to those fans for Bonnaroo.

F that. I'm not going to Bonnaroo
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 427
    Jumb0 said:

Agreed...swapping Bridgestone for Roo after all this time would be a huge kick in the nuts
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    JBob87 said:
    Jumb0 said:

Agreed...swapping Bridgestone for Roo after all this time would be a huge kick in the nuts
    Agreed as well. Still looking forward to Nashville whenever that may be. 
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Ray J. T. said:
    JBob87 said:
    Jumb0 said:

Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Ray J. T. said:
    JBob87 said:
    Jumb0 said:

I’m quietly hoping that it gets rescheduled for a weekend (and that tickets are somehow obtainable). Nashville has been on my list of cities to travel to for a show. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    edited January 2021
    Tampa and the NFL are allowing 22,000 for the super bowl in a few weeks

7,500 of them will be fully vaccinated Heath care workers 

If we can do this in February, why can’t we do similar things in October?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/22/us/super-bowl-fans-spt/index.html
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • RyanRyan Posts: 1,012
    Most bands aren’t going to play reduced capacity shows.  It’s going to cost a small fortune for extra safety measures and insurance right now. 
    For the NFL, tv is their main revenue source so they’re making money, fans or not.  I’m hoping sports fall 2021 can have fans and ramp up to full capacity.  In Canada not everyone will be vaccinated until end of September and then it takes two weeks to have immunity.  With how safe and cautious Pearl Jam is, they’re not going to be the first band back out there.  I’d rather PJ just wait until first part of 2022 when most people will have had the vaccine.  

On top of it not making sense financially for bands to play reduced capacity I think it would be lame being in a half full arena.
    There was a good interview with Trey from Phish on Pollstar a few weeks ago.  He said they’re not into the streaming or reduced capacity shows.  With band members living in different states they’d have to quarantine for two weeks before doing a streaming show, and then quarantine upon going home.  He said it just seemed like too big of a hassle and they want their first experience back after rehearsals to be in front of a full venue.  

2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Tampa and the NFL are allowing 22,000 for the super bowl in a few weeks

80,000 seat stadium vs 18000 seat arenas. Plus 1/3 of the ppl of the 22000 will have been guaranteed vaccinated 

80,000 seat stadium vs 18000 seat arenas. Plus 1/3 of the ppl of the 22000 will have been guaranteed vaccinated 
    And 9 months of vaccinations that will hopefully ramp up anytime now....
  • I don't spend much time around here anymore since there's obviously not much going on in regards to shows, etc. Has there been any talk about some kind of virtual performances? The band basically plays sets together in an empty venue, The Moore, Paramount or even The Showbox. These shows could be live streamed to 10 Club members and we could also purchase downloads with some of the proceeds going towards various charities and even the venues. Once everyone in the band/crew has been vaccinated, hopefully by June I think this would be a cool option for 2021. At this point any of us who follow this pandemic rationally know real shows are not happening this year. Even next year is far from certain. But if they could give us like 5 shows with varying setlist that we could watch and buy it would be a nice option at this point. I'd love a reason to check in to the board here more than once every few weeks. At least something like this would give us a chance to compare setlists and pick our favorite "Virtual Sets". 
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
    edited January 2021
    At some point, promoters and bands are going to have to decide if they are going to allow unvaccinated people into their venues

I truly believe that by August, the vaccine will be readily and easily available to anyone who wants it (in the US at least).  I also believe that a good 30% minimum of the population will choose not to get it.  What then?

A lot of the media and a lot of people mis use the term “vaccinate everyone” because that’s never going to happen.  We need to start referring to it as “vaccinating everyone who wants it”

Super Bowl will be at 33% capacity and only 34% of that 22,000 will be confirmed vaccinated.  Its just hard for me to see a scenario where events couldn't happen at much higher capacity %'s than that 8 months from now, not just Pearl Jam but concerts in general.
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver

There are some places in this country, like Florida, where legally speaking you can basically do any fucking thing that you want to do vis a vis gatherings. In the near future it will be theoretically possible for bands and promoters to put on shows in those places, making judgments on their own about their comfort level regarding the vaccination levels of the population. Under no circumstances is Pearl Jam going to be one of those bands. 

In the non-psychotic parts of the country, the process is going to go like this:
    1. A lot of people get vaccinated.
    2. A lot more people get vaccinated.
    3. Case, hospitalization and death numbers start leveling off,
    4. A whole bunch more people get vaccinated.
    5. Numbers start going down.
    6. Another fuckload of people get vaccinated.
    7. Numbers finally reach satisfactory levels.
    8. It will once again be permissible to pack thousands of people in one place for a show.
    9. Pearl Jam and other bands book shows.

Playing shows before the vaccination effort has translated into acceptable community spread numbers is simply not going to be an option in most states. Will you be able to catch certain shows in Tampa or Dallas this summer? Perhaps. But PJ isn’t going on the road again until things have gotten to a level that’s acceptable in NYC and LA.
  • At some point, promoters and bands are going to have to decide if they are going to allow unvaccinated people into their venues

I truly believe that by August, the vaccine will be readily and easily available to anyone who wants it (in the US at least).  I also believe that a good 30% minimum of the population will choose not to get it.  What then?

A lot of the media and a lot of people mis use the term “vaccinate everyone” because that’s never going to happen.  We need to start referring to it as “vaccinating everyone who wants it”

Super Bowl will be at 33% capacity and only 34% of that 22,000 will be confirmed vaccinated.  Its just hard for me to see a scenario where events couldn't happen at much higher capacity %'s than that 8 months from now, not just Pearl Jam but concerts in general.
    At some point people have to understand immunity is the ONLY way out. You can either take a vaccine and get a mild or asymptomatic version of Covid or you can get infected with the real deal. There's only TWO options here, there is no 3rd option where this thing disappears or a 4th where you just get lucky and never get infected. Maybe that message needs to be sold in a more harsh manner. This thing could be defeated to the point where it is literally another common cold in a year or two. Good article below on the future state of Covid, I've read a lot of other scientific articles stating the same conclusion. The future is in our hands in the long run. Keep doing what a lot have been, taking short cuts, acting selfishly, denying, and this pandemic is more than capable of raging for a solid 3 or 4 years. At which point society will literally be in ruins. I'd rather stick a needle in my arm twice but to each his own.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/health/coronavirus-immunity-future.html 
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
    edited January 2021
    tdawe said:

There are some places in this country, like Florida, where legally speaking you can basically do any fucking thing that you want to do vis a vis gatherings. In the near future it will be theoretically possible for bands and promoters to put on shows in those places, making judgments on their own about their comfort level regarding the vaccination levels of the population. Under no circumstances is Pearl Jam going to be one of those bands. 

In the non-psychotic parts of the country, the process is going to go like this:
    8. It will once again be permissible to pack thousands of people in one place for a show.

Playing shows before the vaccination effort has translated into acceptable community spread numbers is simply not going to be an option in most states. Will you be able to catch certain shows in Tampa or Dallas this summer? Perhaps. But PJ isn’t going on the road again until things have gotten to a level that’s acceptable in NYC and LA.
    I agree with everything you said, but I also think number 9 on your timeline is going to happen well before the end of 2021.

5% of the population here in Massachusetts has already been vaccinated, and the COVID numbers are already starting to plateau, as our governor who is very very strict with COVID announced that he is lifting the curfew and will likely be expanding business capacity limits in 2 weeks.  

So that's 5% of the state vaccinated in 1 month, and that is going to happen faster now that Biden is in.  So that brings us to what, 60% or so vaccinated by September?  I know these are very simple projections in my head but things are starting to move forward at a rate where I would feel comfortable betting on concerts (not Pearl Jam) being back in action by the Fall/ Early winter
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I'm no longer optimistic and would like to change my vote. No 2021 tour. Maybe some Fall dates for other bands, but not this one. 

Vaccine won't be widespread enough by Summer. 

tdawe said:

I agree with everything you said, but I also think number 9 on your timeline is going to happen well before the end of 2021.

5% of the population here in Massachusetts has already been vaccinated, and the COVID numbers are already starting to plateau, as our governor who is very very strict with COVID announced that he is lifting the curfew and will likely be expanding business capacity limits in 2 weeks.  

So that's 5% of the state vaccinated in 1 month, and that is going to happen faster now that Biden is in.  So that brings us to what, 60% or so vaccinated by September?  I know these are very simple projections in my head but things are starting to move forward at a rate where I would feel comfortable betting on concerts (not Pearl Jam) being back in action by the Fall/ Early winter
    My cautiously optimistic guess at this point is (1) the next show I see will be The Hold Steady at Brooklyn Bowl the week after Thanksgiving and (2) in the fall Pearl Jam announces 2020 makeup shows scheduled for Spring 2022.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Mmmmm. Can’t wait to see THS again. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
    I'm no longer optimistic and would like to change my vote. No 2021 tour. Maybe some Fall dates for other bands, but not this one. 

Vaccine won't be widespread enough by Summer. 

Agree. Pearl Jam won't be playing any live shows this year. :(