GOP

Comments

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    I live in the district she represents in Illinois. F'ing unbelievable, she needs to go now. I hate Illinois Nazis. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Obviously a politician shouldn't ever be saying it out loud, but the idea that Hitler never got anything right is pretty silly.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Major kudos to Lisa Murkowski:

Adding to the pressure in the aftermath of Wednesday’s deadly riot in the US Capitol building by Trump supporters, one Republican senator, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, openly called for the president’s removal.

“I want him to resign. I want him out. He has caused enough damage,” she said, punctuating the wave of disgust that followed Trump’s goading of a mob seeking to overturn his election defeat by Joe Biden.

A family member of mine (a Democrat) has worked with Murkowski on a few occasions and had good things to say about her.  Very happy to know that the GOP still has some respectful members. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:
    Obviously a politician shouldn't ever be saying it out loud, but the idea that Hitler never got anything right is pretty silly.
    yeah, the outrage on this one to me is overblown. if hitler said "the sun sets in the west" and someone said he was right about it, people would still freak out. it's like we have to cater to the stupidest people on earth. "oh, she said hitler was right about something? does that mean she thinks all the jews should be exterminated?". fucking hell. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    "I'm calling on President-elect Biden to pick up the phone to call Nancy Pelosi and the Squad to end the second impeachment," Graham continued. "Joe Biden said it's up to Congress regarding impeachment, no President-elect Biden, it's up to you. Stand down, this will destroy the country even further. You have the power to do that, the question is, do you have the courage to do it?"

This is unbelievable. These POS had years to show courage. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    No unity without accountability.  Kicking the can down the road in the name of healing will result in one party Republican rule.  Time for Dems to show some backbone and impeach this fool a second time and censure all the racist house and senate facist agitators.  If this was the other way around the Republican clowns would be rounding up and arresting “dissidents” en masse.  If nothing comes of this we deserve whatever facist kleptocratic egomaniac bullshit comes next. 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    "I'm calling on President-elect Biden to pick up the phone to call Nancy Pelosi and the Squad to end the second impeachment," Graham continued. "Joe Biden said it's up to Congress regarding impeachment, no President-elect Biden, it's up to you. Stand down, this will destroy the country even further. You have the power to do that, the question is, do you have the courage to do it?"

I also remember quite a few Trump supporters telling people to get over things and if you didn’t like it “F your feelings “. 
  • "I'm calling on President-elect Biden to pick up the phone to call Nancy Pelosi and the Squad to end the second impeachment," Graham continued. "Joe Biden said it's up to Congress regarding impeachment, no President-elect Biden, it's up to you. Stand down, this will destroy the country even further. You have the power to do that, the question is, do you have the courage to do it?"

Someone should ask Lindsey Flimsy Flip Flop Faloozy Graham his thoughts on this nutz.

https://www.boston.com/uncategorized/national-news/2021/01/10/man-with-assault-rifle-charged-with-threatening-pelosi-officials-say
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
     Marriott, along with an insurer and bank, pledges to cut off money to Congress members who doubted Biden win
    By Todd C. Frankel and Jeff Stein
    January 10 at 5:44 PM EST
    Marriott, the world’s largest hotel chain, said last week’s chaos at the Capitol caused the company to halt campaign donations to U.S. senators and representatives who voted against certifying the electoral college results of President-elect Biden’s win — a fresh sign of corporate America’s uneasiness with the violent attacks inspired by President Trump’s words.
    The Blue Cross Blue Shield Association said it would do the same. The provider of health insurance to more than 100 million people said in a statement that its political action committee was suspending contributions “to those lawmakers who voted to undermine our democracy.”
    Commerce Bank also said in a statement its political action committee has “suspended all support for officials who have impeded the peaceful transfer of power.” It has bank branches in five states, mostly in the Midwest.
    The violent insurrection at the Capitol appears to have companies scrambling to figure out how to react, as they increasingly realize this is not an ordinary political dispute and the option of sitting on the sidelines grows increasingly unsatisfying.
    [As Trump leaves office, Republicans wonder if his political wounds are fatal]
    “These corporations are doing something very new, and something that could potentially alienate an important base for them,” said Craig Holman, government affairs lobbyist for Public Citizen, a money-in-politics group. "I’ve never heard of this happening before.”
    Shortly after the Capitol insurrection, companies and trade groups rushed to register their outrage, with statements ranging from condemnations to direct calls for Trump’s removal from office.
    Marriott, based in Bethesda, Md., said its decision was motivated by “the destructive events at the Capitol to undermine a legitimate and fair election.”
    Marriott’s political action committee — which is funded by employee donations — gave more than $410,000 in the last election cycle, according to Federal Election Commission data.
    The hotel chain also has a direct business relationship with Trump. It books travel to Trump Turnberry through the Marriott Luxury Collection program.
    [Companies backed Trump for years. Now they’re facing a reckoning after the attack on the Capitol.]
    Marriott’s decision along with ones such as from Blue Cross Blue Shield -- would hurt the fundraising efforts of the 139 Republican representatives and eight Republican senators who voted last week against certifying the presidential election results.
    More pressure on companies is coming. The anti-Trump group The Lincoln Project will in the coming days launch a multi-million dollar ad campaign targeting companies that bankroll Republicans who voted against certifying the results of the election, pushing those firms to cease donations to these and other Republicans.
    The project will launch both broadcast and cable advertising aimed at these companies and their senior leaders. The Lincoln Project will also target advertising for these corporation’s workers, hoping to “destabilize the companies’ operations by fomenting employee rebellions,” said Steve Schmidt, co-founder of The Lincoln Project.
    Schmidt declined to comment on the companies The Lincoln Project plans to campaign against but pointed out that AT&T, BlackRock and Charles Schwab are among the corporate entities that donate to Republican lawmakers.
    [How members of Congress voted on counting the electoral college vote]
    “$80-90 million was spent by Corporate America on political committees .... on extremist groups that have destabilized American democracy,” Schmidt said, citing Republican Attorneys General Association and sens. Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz. “After this point, nothing goes back to normal.”
    Jena McGregor and David A. Fahrenthold contributed to this report.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited January 2021

Talk-radio owner orders conservative hosts to temper election fraud rhetoric

Jan. 11, 2021 at 6:00 a.m. EST

After months of stoking anger about alleged election fraud, one of America’s largest talk-radio companies has decided on an abrupt change of direction.

Cumulus Media, which employs some of the most popular right-leaning talk-radio hosts in the United States, has told its on-air personalities to stop suggesting that the election was stolen from President Trump — or else face termination.

A Cumulus executive issued the directive on Wednesday, just as Congress met to certify Joe Biden’s election victory and an angry mob of Trump supporters marched on the Capitol, overwhelmed police and briefly occupied the building, terrorizing lawmakers and leading to the deaths of five people.

“We need to help induce national calm NOW,” Brian Philips, executive vice president of content for Cumulus, wrote in an internal memo, which was first reported by Inside Music Media. Cumulus and its program syndication arm, Westwood One, “will not tolerate any suggestion that the election has not ended. The election has been resolved and there are no alternate acceptable ‘paths.’ ”

The memo adds: “If you transgress this policy, you can expect to separate from the company immediately.”

A Cumulus representative did not respond to repeated requests for comment on Sunday.

The new policy is a stunning corporate clampdown on the kind of provocative and even inflammatory talk that has long driven the business model for Cumulus and other talk show broadcasters. And it came as Apple, Google and Amazon cut off essential business services to Parler, the pro-Trump social media network where users have promoted falsehoods about election fraud and praised the mob that assaulted the Capitol. Apple and Google removed the Parler app from the offerings for its smartphones, while Amazon suspended it from its Web-hosting services. (Amazon founder and chief executive Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post.)

Since the election, Cumulus has remained silent while some of its most popular hosts — which include Mark Levin and Dan Bongino — have amplified Trump’s lies that the vote was “rigged” or in some way fraudulent.

On his program on Tuesday, the day before the march on the Capitol, for example, Levin fulminated about Congress’s certification of electoral votes for Biden, describing the normally routine vote as an act of “tyranny.”

“You think the framers of the Constitution … sat there and said, ‘Congress has no choice [to accept the votes], even if there’s fraud, even if there’s some court order, even if some legislature has violated the Constitution?’ ” Levin said, his voice rising to a shout.

Atlanta-based Cumulus owns 416 radio stations in 84 regions across the country. Many of its stations broadcast a talk format, a medium that has been dominated by a conservative point of view for decades. In addition to its national personalities, it employs local talk-radio hosts in many of its markets.

Cumulus’s biggest stations include WMAL in Washington, KABC in Los Angeles, WLS in Chicago and KGO in San Francisco, all of which air a news-talk format.

Rush Limbaugh, perhaps the biggest star of conservative talk, is syndicated by another company, Premiere Networks, though his program is heard on many Cumulus-owned stations. Limbaugh isn’t subject to Cumulus’s memo. Another of Cumulus’ talk stars, Ben Shapiro, has gone against the grain of conservative talk radio by telling listeners that Trump has been wrong in his claims that the election was rigged.

The memo appears to reflect the reality that voters, presidential electors, courts and now Congress have accepted or certified that Biden won the election and is the president-elect. It may also be an attempt to cool down emotions that led to Wednesday’s invasion of the Capitol, and to mollify advertisers that are concerned about being associated with programs that could be inciting listeners to violence.

But it also reveals some of the hidden corporate hand behind what is said and discussed on talk-radio programs. Rather than a medium of freethinking individuals expressing passionately held beliefs, the memo reminds that hosts are subject to corporate mandates and control.

“It’s naive not to recognize that a corporate imperative goes into all media,” said Michael Harrison, the publisher of Talkers magazine, which covers talk radio. “Corporations have always called the tune ultimately. Everyone pays attention to the guys at the top and always has.”

Talk-radio hosts, Harrison said, “never expected” their critiques of the election “to get out of hand” in the manner seen Wednesday. Cumulus and other broadcast companies “recognize they’re in the hot seat right now because the national eye is on them,” he said.

Asked how hosts who have repeatedly promoted Trump’s claims of fraud can now credibly flip to acceptance, Harrison said: “I would hope they put their personal feelings aside and come clean with their listeners. I encourage them to pursue the truth and to tell their audience something that Trump may not like.”

However, there’s some question as to whether stars such as Levin will comply with the recent edict and whether Cumulus will discipline them if they don’t.

On his syndicated radio program on Thursday, a day after Cumulus sent its memo and Trump supporters breached the Capitol, Levin didn’t seem to be backing off. “It appears nothing has changed in 24 hours,” he said on the air. “Not a damn thing. The never-Trumpers, the RINOs, the media — same damn thing.”

He went on to add: “I’m not stirring up a damn thing. Everything I say is based on principle and mission. Everything is based on liberty, family, faith, the Constitution. … My enemies and my critics can’t say the same.”

10:45 a.m. This story has been updated to clarify that while Ben Shapiro is one of Cumulus’s most popular hosts, he is not among the voices who have promoted claims of a rigged election.

Updated January 7, 2021

Paul Farhi is The Washington Post's media reporter. He started at The Post in 1988 and has been a financial reporter, a political reporter and a Style reporter. Follow

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    interesting timing , no?

Fox News overhauls daily schedule, moving news anchor Martha MacCallum to make way for opinion expansion
    By Jeremy Barr

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2021/01/11/fox-news-overhaul-news-opinion-cnn-tapper-blitzer/

7 pm time slot being opened up for more opinion programing....

edited January 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    interesting timing , no?

Fox News overhauls daily schedule, moving news anchor Martha MacCallum to make way for opinion expansion
    By Jeremy Barr

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2021/01/11/fox-news-overhaul-news-opinion-cnn-tapper-blitzer/

7 pm time slot being opened up for more opinion programing....

disgusting. capitalizing off more hate and divisiveness. wouldn't be surprised if they teamed up mcenany with lohren for the Nazi Barbie Hour
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

news is going away. prime time is just talking head opinion propaganda shows. and yes, this includes cnn. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    news is going away. prime time is just talking head opinion propaganda shows. and yes, this includes cnn. 
    You're right.(News going away).

I admit that I really didn't watch too much Cable News, but when the Pandemic hit I had NO Sports to watch, so I would watch some Cable News in Prime Time. I would watch CNN, MSNBC & FOX. And, when I watched I was like: "What the hell is this shit?"  for ALL 3 channels. I also thought to myself this must be what it's like in North Korea, China or some other Countries like them. State TV? Again, as you pointed out: Propaganda shows.

If some of these Senators & HOR aren't holding up to their Oath of Office is there anyway they can be removed? 
    the difference I see between CNN and Fox, I should say, is that CNN is more drama that is not as specifically focused on one political party as it is on Fox, obviously. 

but Cuomo and Lemon are unwatchable whining to me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It makes sense if you think about it. It is a lot easier to be an intellectually lazy citizen if you don’t have to think critically. If you watch actual news, it should cause you to think critically to try to make sense of something and develop an opinion. If you watch a program where someone is giving you your opinion, you don’t have to think too much, just react. Yes, the older I get the more cynical I become. 
    It makes sense if you think about it. It is a lot easier to be an intellectually lazy citizen if you don’t have to think critically. If you watch actual news, it should cause you to think critically to try to make sense of something and develop an opinion. If you watch a program where someone is giving you your opinion, you don’t have to think too much, just react. Yes, the older I get the more cynical I become. 
    that's not cynical, in my opinion, that's exactly what it is. you're 100% right. it's being spoon fed your own thoughts. 

between that and believing everything people see, even down to goddamn memes, we're doomed as an intellectually superior species. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyrat said:

I'll tell you this, I don't think the censoring is a good idea.
  • Wasn't sure where this should go so figured I'd put it here first.
    This shows corproations are drawing lines in the sand too.  The end sentence would be the more level headed answer though.
     From the NYT: Written by David Leonhardt

Good morning. Companies are halting donations to Congress members who backed overturning the election result.

Kevin McCarthy, the House minority leader, after the riot on Wednesday.Win Mcnamee/Getty Images

An ‘unthinkable’ corporate response

Large corporations and their lobbyists usually try to steer clear of messy political fights. Companies prefer to work behind the scenes, giving money to both political parties and quietly influencing tax policy, spending and regulation.

But President Trump’s effort to overturn the result of the presidential election — and the violent attack on Congress by his supporters — has created a dilemma for many companies. A growing number have decided that they are, at least for now, not willing to support members of Congress who backed Trump’s efforts to change the election result and promoted lies about election fraud.

Over the weekend, several large companies — Marriott, Blue Cross Blue Shield and Commerce Bancshares — announced a suspension of donations to members of Congress who voted against election certification. Yesterday, the list expanded to Amazon, AT&T, Comcast, Airbnb, Mastercard, Verizon and Dow, the chemical company. Hallmark has even asked for its money back from two of the senators who opposed certification, Josh Hawley and Roger Marshall.

“Just a few days ago, this would have been unthinkable,” Judd Legum — the author of the Popular Information newsletter, who has done the best recent reporting on corporate donations — told me.

In the Senate, the temporary ban on donations will also affect Rick Scott of Florida, Ted Cruz of Texas and a few other members. In the House, the group includes more than half of the Republican caucus, including its two top leaders, Kevin McCarthy and Steve Scalise.

“We have to create some level of cost,” Thomas Glocer, a board member at Morgan Stanley and Merck, told The Wall Street Journal. “Money is the key way.”

The National Association of Manufacturers, long one of the more conservative business lobbying groups, has been particularly harsh. It called out Republicans who “cheered on” Trump during his “disgusting” effort to overturn the election, which it said had “inflamed violent anger.” The association added: “This is sedition and should be treated as such.”

Still, many large companies have not announced a change. (And other companies, like Goldman Sachs and Google’s parent, have announced a pause on all political donations — a move that seems designed to prevent public criticism while also not angering politicians who supported attempted election fraud.)

McDonald’s and the tobacco company Altria, which are among the top 20 donors to McCarthy, the House Republican leader, have not announced a halt on donations to any Congress members. Neither has Bank of America (a major donor to Scott), although it said it would “review its decision making.”

The well-connected law firm Squire Patton Boggs has also not announced any policy change. It has donated to Paul Gosar, a House member from Arizona who helped promote the Jan. 6 rally that turned violent, tweeting “#FightForTrump” and “The Time Is Now. Hold the Line.”

What’s the bottom line? I asked Andrew Ross Sorkin, the Times columnist who has spent two decades covering corporate leaders, and he said that the announcements amounted to “temporary defensive moves.” The real question was whether, six months from now, the companies would go back to donating to the politicians who supported overturning a presidential election.

For more, read Andrew’s latest column, which argues for a permanent end to corporate political donations.

edited January 2021
    mickeyrat said:

so then user agreements and  terms of service are worthless?

send those kinds of posts to a newspaper. bet they dont get printed online or in print.... helltheympolice thier comments online

fundamentally whats the difference?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

send those kinds of posts to a newspaper. bet they dont get printed online or in print.... helltheympolice thier comments online

I have to look it up but the internet is governed by a set of laws that is broad and I do remember people wanting them changed.  I'll need to delve in it further.

When something like Parler gets taken down then that is something.  Is it a different point of view, alternate facts or hate speech?  Wanting to secure our border doesn't make you a racist but it tends to lean that way now and if you say so you'll get lambasted.

I see the censoring as to bringing up more problems and it feeds the "deep state" theories.

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I have to look it up but the internet is governed by a set of laws that is broad and I do remember people wanting them changed.  I'll need to delve in it further.

When something like Parler gets taken down then that is something.  Is it a different point of view, alternate facts or hate speech?  Wanting to secure our border doesn't make you a racist but it tends to lean that way now and if you say so you'll get lambasted.

I see the censoring as to bringing up more problems and it feeds the "deep state" theories.

plotting the violent overthrow of our government, overturning a secure and legally certified election, and installing a king is not alternate facts or hate speech. its felony conspiracy.

these companies are bound by contract law.

every member of Parler including its owner are free to hit a soapbox and spew whatever the fuck they want. however speech has its consequences. these fuckers are finding that out. a nongovernmental entity has its rights and obligations too.

this is the free market exercising its muscle.

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

plotting the violent overthrow of our government, overturning a secure and legally certified election, and installing a king is not alternate facts or hate speech. its felony conspiracy.

every member of Parler including its owner are free to hit a soapbox and spew whatever the fuck they want. however speech has its consequences. these fuckers are finding that out. a nongovernmental entity has its rights and obligations too.

I'm against censorship of free speech as much as the next person, but it's no secret that free speech has its limitations. 

If trump using twitter to organize lynch mobs to go after his political enemies doesn't warrant consequences, then what does? 
  • mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I bolded the above.

Almost half the country that could vote, voted for Donald Trump and a fair amount of them believe the election was rigged and wanted to do something about it.  How we stop that way of thinking is a different story.

• mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I'm against censorship of free speech as much as the next person, but it's no secret that free speech has its limitations. 

If trump using twitter to organize lynch mobs to go after his political enemies doesn't warrant consequences, then what does? 
    I remember when Howard Stern would get in a tiff with someone and his fans would go after or heckle them.  His fans were always rabid and loyal.

Alex Jones was thrown off the air because of this too.  He was slightly more radical than Trump and Stern though.  I had heartache with that too but was relieved in a way that people would stop listening to him as gospel.

I have very mixed feelings about it is all.
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I bolded the above.

Almost half the country that could vote, voted for Donald Trump and a fair amount of them believe the election was rigged and wanted to do something about it.  How we stop that way of thinking is a different story.

most of those love the flag. and that seems to be about it.

the rest of us love the constitution first......

• mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I bolded the above.

most of those love the flag. and that seems to be about it.

the rest of us love the constitution first......
    I need to PM you about the flag.