2021 European Tour Announcement

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Oxford vaccine expected to get approval in the UK on the 28th or 29th of this month with mass roll out from beginning of January. IF that happens successfully maybe there is a chance fot the shows to go ahead 
    Thats great news. Still need to move mountains for these shows to happen but I am optimistic! If shows can happen this summer that means the vaccine kicked this virus's ass and we are in a better place. Win win for everyone. 
  • Oxford vaccine expected to get approval in the UK on the 28th or 29th of this month with mass roll out from beginning of January. IF that happens successfully maybe there is a chance fot the shows to go ahead 
    So you’re saying there’s a chance! 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    It is not up to the uk. 

They need to have Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium, Chezh, Poland, Hungary, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Denmark and Sweden to have their vaccinations and corona situations in order within the next 6 months. 
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,129
    edited December 2020
    mrk2 said:
    It is not up to the uk. 

They need to have Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium, Chezh, Poland, Hungary, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Denmark and Sweden to have their vaccinations and corona situations in order within the next 6 months. 
    Yes I know I'm just saying that approval  is close in the UK id hope the EU would be soon after

I still think its more likely to be postponed again as June will still be too soon btw
    Post edited by BlueLedbetter on
  • There's no chance every country is going to be able to host live shows by the time of the tour. I wonder how many shows would be enough for the European tour to be viable from the band's perspective... Half? Only a handful of the bigger outdoor shows? I guess theyll have to make that call nearer the time. 
    edited December 2020
    There's no chance every country is going to be able to host live shows by the time of the tour. I wonder how many shows would be enough for the European tour to be viable from the band's perspective... Half? Only a handful of the bigger outdoor shows? I guess theyll have to make that call nearer the time. 
    The bigger outdoor shows need a couple of months of large groups of workers setting up the site as well. While it maybe "safe" at the time of the show leading up to it is not therefore not allowing the event to happen.

It is looking clearer and clearer to me nothing is happening this summer sadly unless they push it a couple of months. I still think it is doable with those vulnerable to the virus being already vaccinated as well as a large part of the EU population as well as NA. We are doing this lockdown/distancing/masks for them and if they are protected what are we waiting for? 
  • Muffin The MuleMuffin The Mule Amersham, Bucks Posts: 427
    With the latest lockdown here my hopes for next summer have gone. It's not going to happen - vaccine or no vaccine.
    Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, London 8/7/22, London 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    I don’t really see how it changes things one way or the other. Globally, we’ll get enough vaccines injected or we won’t. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • mrk2 said:
    It is not up to the uk. 

Not only that, but they’ll need to be confident in it by April or so in order to go forward.  It feels like too many things have to happen too quickly in too many places.  I wonder if they will cancel, postpone to 2022, or postpone to later in 2021 (possibly without festivals).  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• nando1979nando1979 Castlerock (Northern Ireland) Posts: 82
    Oxford vaccine expected to get approval in the UK on the 28th or 29th of this month with mass roll out from beginning of January. IF that happens successfully maybe there is a chance fot the shows to go ahead 
    Mass roll out won't start in January, no matter what's being reported. I fall into the extremely clinically vulnerable category and have been advised I should get my first injection by the beginning of March. That means second one by 21st March. Mass rollout won't be possible until all those elderly/clinically vulnerable are sorted. Unfortunately the April reports are much more accurate
    If hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done.......
     Just realised you may mean  mass rollout of vulnerable/elderly to start in January, there are circa 10 million in that category. At 1 million injections a week that takes you to march anyway for the remainder of the population unfortunately 
  • nando1979 said:
     Just realised you may mean  mass rollout of vulnerable/elderly to start in January, there are circa 10 million in that category. At 1 million injections a week that takes you to march anyway for the remainder of the population unfortunately 
    Yes that's what I meant im very doubtful the shows will go ahead i think it may just be a couple of months too soon but mass roll out of the vaccine gives it a small chance 
  • Yes that's what I meant im very doubtful the shows will go ahead i think it may just be a couple of months too soon but mass roll out of the vaccine gives it a small chance 
    Also thinking it will be just a couple of months too soon. Here in Germany they are thinking that mass roll out can start in summer. I am pretty sure this will be similar in most countries 
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,050
    CarisaJ said:
    Yes that's what I meant im very doubtful the shows will go ahead i think it may just be a couple of months too soon but mass roll out of the vaccine gives it a small chance 
    Also thinking it will be just a couple of months too soon. Here in Germany they are thinking that mass roll out can start in summer. I am pretty sure this will be similar in most countries 
    I think things are looking more positive again, especially here in the UK. AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine likely approved in next day or two. Looking now at giving 1 shot of Pfizer vaccine instead of 2 (91% success rate vs 95%). UK has 40m Pfizer, 7m Moderna and 100m Oxford vaccines ordered. Easily covers the whole population. Talk here now of things starting to get back to normal in mid-end Feb if Oxford vaccine is approved as it can be rolled out quicker.
  • drfox said:
    CarisaJ said:
    I think things are looking more positive again, especially here in the UK. AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine likely approved in next day or two. Looking now at giving 1 shot of Pfizer vaccine instead of 2 (91% success rate vs 95%). UK has 40m Pfizer, 7m Moderna and 100m Oxford vaccines ordered. Easily covers the whole population. Talk here now of things starting to get back to normal in mid-end Feb if Oxford vaccine is approved as it can be rolled out quicker.
    I would be surprised if single dose Pfizer goes forward as all the trials were based on two doses.  (Why they didn’t try a subgroup of just one dose is a good question but they didn’t.). I love the optimism and perhaps there’s an outside chance of the summer tour happening, but back to normal end of Feb? I don’t see that at all.  

• aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    France expects to have 15M people vaccinated on a total of 65M in 2021.
    in Luxembourg, the state already communicated on the fact that there won’t be enough vaccine for everyone in 2021.
    The biggest question is probably related to the transmission of virus because so far they don’t really know if people vaccinated will carry one the virus or not, which is probably the key.
    We just have to wait until mid April but the fact that European countries have different strategies (Sweden and Austria have opposite strategies for instance) complicates the set-up of a multi-country tour.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • EMC77EMC77 Almería, Spain Posts: 123
    CarisaJ said:
    Same here in Spain. The government expects to get the herd inmunity (70%) by the end of the summer/ early autumn.

Theorically the EU will distribute the vaccines based on countries' population, so all countries in the UE will be in the same stage of vaccination at the same time.
    EMC77 said:
    CarisaJ said:
    Same here in Spain. The government expects to get the herd inmunity (70%) by the end of the summer/ early autumn.

Theorically the EU will distribute the vaccines based on countries' population, so all countries in the UE will be in the same stage of vaccination at the same time.
    That's the same as the expected time frame in the UK (end of summer) . Certain things have gotten leaked to the press the whole way through the pandemic to cause positivity, but they generally don't come to fruition. 
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 583
    I think it’s looking more and more likely that there won’t be any tours in 2021. Certainly not any arena or stadium shows. Here’s to a better 2022!
  • Oxford/AZ vaccine approved in the UK, lets hope this is the game changer and gets everything going again 
  • Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 834
    edited December 2020
    Oxford / AZ vaccine reports suggest that all those in the most vulnerable tier, or front line workers will have had first dose by the Spring... Sadly, I don't think the roll out will be fast enough for this Summer across Europe. I hate to say that as I am desperate to go to shows but I just do not see it being soon enough.  Hopefully I am completely wrong on this.
    It is great news that there has been approval of course!
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 267
    edited December 2020
    The oxford vaccine is huge for the uk. There's a good chance that some two thirds of the uk population will be vaccinated by the time the hyde park gig rolls round, based on the estimates and factoring in a bit of contingency. That said, if the rest of Europe is not as well vaccinated then the tour as a whole will surely be scrapped/rescheduled regardless. Certainly feels like the tour is going to come a few months too early at this point.
    Post edited by Gravey1975 on
    Hope we know by the cancellation deadline in April what is going on with these shows. I have to pick my vacation for the summer next week and have to pull a few favors from people that are picking ahead of me to get my dates. Looks like these favors will likely be wasted sadly though I am keeping positive that the shows will happen. 
  • CB254133CB254133 Posts: 153
    I'm going to buck the current trend of this thread and predict that some if not all of the European 21 tour will go ahead, especially the festivals.  This is based purely on personal opinion!! and I am sure others have differing views.

The need for lockdowns and social distancing restrictions will ease quickly as those who are vulnerable are vaccinated along with front line staff such as the NHS (in UK).  With the vulnerable protected economic factors will come to the fore and the hospitality industry, theatres and gigs will reopen so people can try to rebuild their business and pay staff etc.  It is worth noting that even in these dark times the national news in the UK constantly trots out a line of hospitality industry "experts" advocating that venues should remain open to protect the economic future of those that work within them, imagine the immense political pressure to reopen once the hospitals admissions begin to decline.  Covid 19 is here to stay and we will have to learn how to live with it in the background (as generally a non fatal disease) whilst we rebuild.  Going to gigs then becomes a personal choice which we can make for ourselves based on individual circumstances and appetite for risk.

Not sure about international travel (probably have to prove you have been vaccinated) but if BST (and other euro festivals) goes ahead then I am guessing that PJ will be obligated to fulfil their commitments??

• PJ is not necessarily obligated to fulfill the contractual commitment because of course, there would be contractual language covering the possibility of the act being unable to perform for whatever reason. Under more normal circumstances, the standard example would be a band member being physically unable to perform due to injury or illness. 

I think In this environment it is very unlikely any festival is saying we are going forward without consulting with the artists playing especially BST, which revolves around PJ. Any decision to play BST will be made jointly, not by one side dictating to the other. 

I would personally not bet on PJ playing to tens of thousands of people in Hyde Park in July. And based on the vaccine roll-out in the US, it is starting to look very unlikely Sea Hear Now and Ohana will happen in 2021 either. 
    I am no expert, at all, on festival contracts and get your point.  I think there will be a huge swing in Mar/Apr in the UK towards getting hospitality open again.  I'm just speculating on what would be the case if concerts in the UK are allowed and the venue wants to go ahead?  Hospitality in the UK (as I am guessing it is in many countries) is on the bones of it's arse and once the vulnerable are protected and hospital admissions are reduced I think we will be surprised how quickly re-opening happens.
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,050
    I’ve mentioned before and I definitely see a scenario where the UK is vaccinated before mainland Europe. The UK (like Canada and the US) ordered a bunch of different vaccines, in particular the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines, which both work, and have preordered enough of these two to vaccinate the whole population (not sure when this will be completed though). However the EU ordered lots of the Sanofi vaccine which does not work, and a lower amount of the Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca ones. I’m really hoping this gets sorted soon! 
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    edited December 2020
    CB254133 said:
    I am no expert, at all, on festival contracts and get your point.  I think there will be a huge swing in Mar/Apr in the UK towards getting hospitality open again.  I'm just speculating on what would be the case if concerts in the UK are allowed and the venue wants to go ahead?  Hospitality in the UK (as I am guessing it is in many countries) is on the bones of it's arse and once the vulnerable are protected and hospital admissions are reduced I think we will be surprised how quickly re-opening happens.
    The medical experts all say that even with people vaccinated that social distancing and masks will remain necessary for the foreseeable future. There is no way to conduct social distancing in a general admission concert, especially one that has already been ticketed with a standard (pre-Covid) layout. There is very little chance that Hyde Park will happen in July. Other venues may re-open with all those factors accounted for in how the events are ticketed. 
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
    Yep you're right, the medical experts do say that.  With hospital admissions reduced and the NHS able to cope I think that kick-starting the economy will take precedence; such as ending furlough, getting people back to work so able to pay their mortgages, restarting travel and tourism and all those things we took for granted before March this year.  All against a background of COVID that with the vulnerable protected, and a large amount of the population vaccinated COVID will no longer be the killer that it is now.   it's a huge ask for organisations and individuals to stay closed and risk bankruptcy when the number of deaths is driven down.  All might be wishful thinking!!
  • None of those things require 40,000 people standing in a park on top of each other. And yes, it’s totally wishful thinking in the other regards too. The end of this will be a gradual return to normal, not flicking a switch from off to on. 
This discussion has been closed.