Dave Matthews Band

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Think about this. Soundgarden, DMB were overlooked for T Rex and Notorious BIG. I love BIG but he put out three albums if you count the double album as two. And that double album is a lot of filler. Plus any inclusion of P Diddy on the album is a huge strike against. One of the best singers and bands in Soundgarden and the powerhouse and consistent band that DMB is. No Maiden? Pathetic as always. Shame on the Rock Hall. 🖕🏽🖕🏽🖕🏽🖕🏽🖕🏽
    I'm okay with Biggie because he was very influential to that genre.  It's not like Nirvana had a 30 year catalog either.  It's the fucking DOOBIE BROTHERS that bugs me.  C'mon.. does anyone LOVE the Doobie Bros?  Do they sell out stadiums?  Are Kansas and Styx up next?  Michael McDonald's best work was singing backup for the Dan on Aja!  
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    mrussel1 said:
    Think about this. Soundgarden, DMB were overlooked for T Rex and Notorious BIG. I love BIG but he put out three albums if you count the double album as two. And that double album is a lot of filler. Plus any inclusion of P Diddy on the album is a huge strike against. One of the best singers and bands in Soundgarden and the powerhouse and consistent band that DMB is. No Maiden? Pathetic as always. Shame on the Rock Hall. 🖕🏽🖕🏽🖕🏽🖕🏽🖕🏽
    I'm okay with Biggie because he was very influential to that genre.  It's not like Nirvana had a 30 year catalog either.  It's the fucking DOOBIE BROTHERS that bugs me.  C'mon.. does anyone LOVE the Doobie Bros?  Do they sell out stadiums?  Are Kansas and Styx up next?  Michael McDonald's best work was singing backup for the Dan on Aja!  
    I agree. I look at this list of selections and NIN seems like the only band worthy of inclusion. The list of eligible bands made me believe that this was the year that things changed for the better. How can a band get so many fans to vote. So many 1 albums. Constant sellouts of big tours and DMB is left out. Soundgarden is left out. Maiden and Priest are left out. But T. rex and the Doobie Brothers are in? It’s a travesty. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited January 2020
    Whoa, whoa whoa, I will not sit idly by and have people disparage T Rex. 

All these artists deserve to be in, we can debate who should get in before others, but lets not act like T Rex and the Doobie brothers weren't influential or popular and don't deserve to be there.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited January 2020
    They may belong in. But let’s just start with no Pantera(not even a nod), no Soundgarden, no Alice In Chains, no Maiden or Priest( I don’t even like either band but appreciate their influence and fan base) no DMB? Come on. Those bands before the mentioned bands? Not even close. Deftones, Melvins,? All deserve a induction before the Doobies, TRex, Paul Revere, BIG. BIG before Ice Cube? Ice Cube put out Predator, Death Certificate, and Lethal Injection. Ready to Die is as good as those three albums. But Life after Death should be one album. The Hall as with other “awards” for art are outta touch and it’s sad. 

That being said. The fan vote should guarantee a spot. 
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    That's why I liked Jeff's shirt at the induction. I am looking at it while writing this, and there are some more than worthy names on there. Just to touch on a couple, no Warren Zevon or Thin Lizzy in the hall? C'mon already.

But once again, it's giving an award for art and all that.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    They may belong in. But let’s just start with no Pantera(not even a nod), no Soundgarden, no Alice In Chains, no Maiden or Priest( I don’t even like either band but appreciate their influence and fan base) no DMB? Come on. Those bands before the mentioned bands? Not even close. Deftones, Melvins,? All deserve a induction before the Doobies, TRex, Paul Revere, BIG. BIG before Ice Cube? Ice Cube put out Predator, Death Certificate, and Lethal Injection. Ready to Die is as good as those three albums. But Life after Death should be one album. The Hall as with other “awards” for art are outta touch and it’s sad. 

That being said. The fan vote should guarantee a spot. 
    DMB won't be getting in for a long time.  The fans will have to deal with that.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I personally don't care if they get in or not. I'll never attend the RRHOF for any reason. As long as they keep touring I'm good.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    ^^^ Exactly. The HOF is worthless in my eyes. It's sometimes cool to watch the speeches and performances, but the actual HOF? Meh.
    ^^^ Exactly. The HOF is worthless in my eyes. It's sometimes cool to watch the speeches and performances, but the actual HOF? Meh.
    I like the actual venue a lot.  We go most times im back in the hometown
    I mean actually being in said HOF is worthless in my eyes. Some bands may think they can charge more for tickets because of it. Cheap Trick thought this and was wrong; worked out for me though since I scored 2-for-1 tickets day before the show. But once again, it's an award for art which is subjective.

Memorabilia exhibits are totally cool though. I would've spent all day at MoPOP last August if they didn't close on me lol. We only had about 2 hours by the time we got there.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    No Camden or Philly area shows? I wouldn't have renewed if I knew.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    I almost didn't renew last time. They rarely play within driving distance of me and I've already seen them at the Gorge, so nowhere to go but down from there. I figured the annual WH disc and store discount were good enough reasons though. Plus the off chance that they do a small D&T show close by.
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Live Trax 50 is so damn good. It's nice to have 4 official shows from the 2004 Tour now. I really wish DMB would just put their entire live catalog on nugs. That's money just waiting to be made. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
    they seem to be doing pretty well just releasing 2-3 live shows a year though
    edited January 2020
    Last year there was 7, counting the 2 downloads of Charlotte & Charlottesville. I love their live stuff and will take any/everything they release. I've been seriously spoiled by PJ with access to the majority of their live stuff over the past 20 years, lol.
    Post edited by erocshifty on
    We are spoiled with PJ, Springsteen, Metallica, etc. releasing every show that they do. But their discographies are now over-saturated with live shows, which makes me kind of like the 4-per-year DMB style. It makes me appreciate their live releases more. But don't get me wrong, if they started releasing everything then I would have everything.
    yeah, like every band, not every show is a winner. But i get being able to have a nice crisp professional recording of any show you went to. Or all of them.
    yeah, like every band, not every show is a winner. But i get being able to have a nice crisp professional recording of any show you went to. Or all of them.
    This is true. I still wouldn't get ALL of them. It's nice to be able to view setlists and pick the shows, but that sometimes doesn't mean squat, lol. An *ideal* set list could still be a miss as an entire show. That's definitely happened a couple of times when I've bought a show based on looking at a setlist.

There are some great taper pulls that can be touched up with a little EQ. I've been finding that I do even sometimes get in the mood where I'd rather hear a taper show. 

Overall they do a great job with Live Trax and the WH releases. It was also nice to get the first  Live album release since Dave's '96 solo show and Live In Atlantic City. I didn't even think I'd miss those until they stopped coming out for awhile. 
    While I collect the Live Trax, I realized that I am way behind on actually listening to them, so this month I started with 41 and am at 50 right now at work. I have to say that I'm really enjoying the D&T shows. Too bad their Mexico shows next month are so dang pricey. I could use a break from this MN weather about now.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    watching the central park concert. so joyous.

and warren haynes fucking kills it!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    watching the central park concert. so joyous.

and warren haynes fucking kills it!
    It's a tremendous show.  2000 to 2004 was their peak.  Just killed it every night and the catalog was perfect. 
    edited December 2020
    Really? I would say 1998-2000 was their peak. Its not like they were bad from 2001-2004, just static. 

But that summer and fall/winter 2000 tour was just them at their absolute best. saw 6 shows that year. Every single one of them stellar. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Listening to Live at Luther College after probably 20 years this morning. I saw them on this tour when I was in college (Jesse Hall, University of Missouri, 1998 I think) and remember being blown away by Tim Reynolds. I went back and saw him solo at the Missouri Theater some time later and being completely impressed with his musicianship. Just acoustic guitars too, no electrics. Not a big DMB fan by any stretch, but Live at Luther College still sounds amazing to me. That version of 'Warehouse' is absolutely mind blowing. I remember back in 2002 I got fan club seats to DMB at a venue in New Jersey, right across the way from Philadelphia where I was living from their local record rep. About 2 songs in the guy behind us barfed all over the place and that was it for my girlfriend and I. Have had plenty of chances to see them since, but pass every time.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Really? I would say 1998-2000 was their peak. Its not like they were bad from 2001-2004, just static. 

But that summer and fall/winter 2000 tour was just them at their absolute best. saw 6 shows that year. Every single one of them stellar. 

I love when the Lillywhite stuff became embedded in the sets.  That is still my favorite stuff to this day.  So the early aughts is where I really dig the sets. 
    Listening to Live at Luther College after probably 20 years this morning. I saw them on this tour when I was in college (Jesse Hall, University of Missouri, 1998 I think) and remember being blown away by Tim Reynolds. I went back and saw him solo at the Missouri Theater some time later and being completely impressed with his musicianship. Just acoustic guitars too, no electrics. Not a big DMB fan by any stretch, but Live at Luther College still sounds amazing to me. That version of 'Warehouse' is absolutely mind blowing. I remember back in 2002 I got fan club seats to DMB at a venue in New Jersey, right across the way from Philadelphia where I was living from their local record rep. About 2 songs in the guy behind us barfed all over the place and that was it for my girlfriend and I. Have had plenty of chances to see them since, but pass every time.
    Luther is tremendous.  Plus it's cool when you are hearing stuff before Crash was even released.  The audience didn't even know the songs.  It reminds of NY at Massey Hall, where he is playing all sorts of stuff from Harvest and no one knows that they are listening to history at the beginning.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Luther is tremendous.  Plus it's cool when you are hearing stuff before Crash was even released.  The audience didn't even know the songs.  It reminds of NY at Massey Hall, where he is playing all sorts of stuff from Harvest and no one knows that they are listening to history at the beginning.  

Oh man, and that Massey Hall record, the sound is just gold. I am not sure I've heard a live record like it yet.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Also, one time I went to a house party in the late 90s and the host played a 20+ song set of Dave Matthews to perfection. His guitar work is SO busy. Like all 5 fingers busy. He was phrasing chords in ways that blew my mind and definitely caused me to up my game as a guitarist, so in some way I suppose I should thank DMB, haha!
    www.cluthelee.com
    Visiting the 8/15/95 Live at Red Rocks set. I don't think I've listened to this one entirely. Sounds pretty good!
    www.cluthelee.com
    Visiting the 8/15/95 Live at Red Rocks set. I don't think I've listened to this one entirely. Sounds pretty good!
    The vinyl? Chris Bellman mastered.  It sounds fantastic to me.  Also my favorite version of Recently. 
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910

98-2000 was the absolute peak. They lost their way with Everyday in 2001 but came back strong 02-04.