Options

Dave Matthews Band

Comments

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited June 2023
    Recent Dave & Howard interview is/was fucking incredible. Also working my way through the solo acoustic show he did for sxm. Amazing.

Edit:Highly Recommended 🙂
    Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Yeah I caught that on Stern....great interview
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    One of those interviews that had me engaged from start to finish. Learned a few things that I should already have known. Like John Popper did harmonica on What Would You Say and Alanis Morissette is on Spoon, lol. Also love the stripped down versions of the new songs when he does them solo acoustic. The Willie cover and story was really good too. Dude cracks me up. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    edited June 2023
    Hi! said:
    One of those interviews that had me engaged from start to finish. Learned a few things that I should already have known. Like John Popper did harmonica on What Would You Say and Alanis Morissette is on Spoon, lol. Also love the stripped down versions of the new songs when he does them solo acoustic. The Willie cover and story was really good too. Dude cracks me up. 
    Yeah they were close with Popper in the early days.  I heard Dave tell a story that one time they opened for Blues Traveler in NY and there was one guy in the front row that just yelled "YOU SUCK" the whole time they were playing.  It definitely scarred him because he remember and was like, lookit me now.. 

Another piece of trivia, when the band first hit it big, they needed new equipment but didn't have the money.  So the Dead gave them a bunch of amps and other gear, presumably from the Wall of Sound, which had been retired by that point.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    Yeah they were close with Popper in the early days.  I heard Dave tell a story that one time they opened for Blues Traveler in NY and there was one guy in the front row that just yelled "YOU SUCK" the whole time they were playing.  It definitely scarred him because he remember and was like, lookit me now.. 

Another piece of trivia, when the band first hit it big, they needed new equipment but didn't have the money.  So the Dead gave them a bunch of amps and other gear, presumably from the Wall of Sound, which had been retired by that point.  
    Yeah, I always liked Blues Traveler. They kind of remind me of DMB in a way. Hard to classify. A little bit rock, a little bit jam band. Just good music that has kind of a cross appeal.

• Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Hi! said:
     Alanis Morissette is on Spoon, lol.
    Don't Drink the Water too
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Jumb0 said:
    Hi! said:
     Alanis Morissette is on Spoon, lol.
    Don't Drink the Water too
    Oh, that’s cool. I love that song. I remember Howard and Dave talking about that song but might have missed them mentioning her singing in that song too. I’ll prolly listen to both Don’t Drink The Water and Spoon a few times tonight. A lot of times when I learn a new little tidbit or factoid about a song it will resonate with me differently. Like hearing it for the first time, lol.  Thanks.
    Post edited by Hi! on

• Options
    She solos on Spoon but is just background on DDTW so easy to miss if you aren't paying attention. 
  • Options
    For sure. I noticed she came in a little later with the harmonizing and singing on DDTW. Added a lot of depth to the song. 

• Options
    Finally cracked into the Lavender vinyl. Very nice package. Love the photos and lyric inserts. I’m not a audiophile and my record player is a piece of crap but it seems like a high quality press. No surface noise or scratches. Sounds really good.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Glad they got the full show up in Maine last night after the lightning delay. Sounded great on the radio. 

Mansfield tonight!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Fantastic show last night. Liked the new tune. Curious what sessions that came from. 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,953
    From sessions from either of the last 2 records is the prevailing thought 
  • Options

• Options
    Well that's an interesting set.  I've heard the Fool in the Rain cover and think it's just okay.  I don't think they kill it. 

For the Beatles cover, is that coming out of Bayou, or going into After Everything.  And how was it?
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I'm not big on the Fool In The Rain cover either. 

I Want You leads into After Everything. They did it really well in Nashville and it segued pretty flawlessly.

https://youtu.be/u9vsBMJpO_Q
    Post edited by Jumb0 on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Fool In The Rain was awesome. Popped the crowd and they nailed the song. I didn't realize they played it so much in recent years, so I thought it would tease into something else. Nope. It was perfect given the rainy weather we had all day. 

We had a great time, but there were definite highs and lows to the set. FITR to open, 41, Jimi Thing into Brickhouse, Dancing Nancies, Stay and Rapunzel were all fire with great crowd energy. Only Takes A Moment (or Cha Cha, as the band is calling it) was cool since it was only being played for the second time. Space Between was one I had never heard live before. But the new songs don't seem to be connecting, and the soft stuff was a killer. The encore was odd. Knew Dave would do a soft, solo song, but following that with Virginia In The Rain was a choice. Ended well, though. 

We had a blast and were thankful to be under the pavilion roof. Wet day in the Commonwealth. Hadn't seen the full band since 2014, so this was a treat. 
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    Fool In The Rain was awesome. Popped the crowd and they nailed the song. I didn't realize they played it so much in recent years, so I thought it would tease into something else. Nope. It was perfect given the rainy weather we had all day. 

We had a great time, but there were definite highs and lows to the set. FITR to open, 41, Jimi Thing into Brickhouse, Dancing Nancies, Stay and Rapunzel were all fire with great crowd energy. Only Takes A Moment (or Cha Cha, as the band is calling it) was cool since it was only being played for the second time. Space Between was one I had never heard live before. But the new songs don't seem to be connecting, and the soft stuff was a killer. The encore was odd. Knew Dave would do a soft, solo song, but following that with Virginia In The Rain was a choice. Ended well, though. 

We had a blast and were thankful to be under the pavilion roof. Wet day in the Commonwealth. 
    Fool in the Rain, JTR, Virginia.. obviously Dave was all in on the rainy theme.  I actually like Virginia.  I love JTR, so glad you got that.  He should play that more.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:

We had a blast and were thankful to be under the pavilion roof. Wet day in the Commonwealth. 
    Fool in the Rain, JTR, Virginia.. obviously Dave was all in on the rainy theme.  I actually like Virginia.  I love JTR, so glad you got that.  He should play that more.  
    No doubt. Rain was the theme. 

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JimmyV said:

No doubt. Rain was the theme. 
    Strange encore for sure.  Dave does that though.  I've always been critical of his sets.  Sometimes he he doesn't get the flow right.  Bruce and Ed are much better at creating the right waves for the fans to ride.  Sometimes Dave will string together two slow songs in a row that just kill the mood.  And his songs are longish, so that just kills the buzz even more.   And it's shame because the catalog it plenty big, and plenty deep to create awesome sets every night without very much in the way of repeats.  Sometimes his moods are just off compared to the crowd.  
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    The limited shows I’ve seen of DMB,  I have loved the flow of the sets and it is one of the things I appreciate most about their shows.  The shorter sets on PJs tour last year and how the shows flowed kind of reminded me of how a DMB show would flow and why I think I liked PJs sets so much last year. 
    Post edited by Hi! on

• Options
    Hi! said:
    The limited shows I’ve seen of DMB,  I have loved the flow of the sets and it is one of the things I appreciate most about their shows.  The shorter sets on PJs tour last year and how the shows flowed kind of reminded me of how a DMB show would flow and why I think I liked PJs sets so much last year. 
    I think it depends on what night you get.  85% of the nights are great.  But he'll drop a clunker, and I've been to a few (of my over 50 shows).  When it's on though, it's relentless and awesome.  From about 2011 to 2015, I was getting disappointed.  But then in 16 until now, he has been really good.  

• Options
    edited June 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    I think it depends on what night you get.  85% of the nights are great.  But he'll drop a clunker, and I've been to a few (of my over 50 shows).  When it's on though, it's relentless and awesome.  From about 2011 to 2015, I was getting disappointed.  But then in 16 until now, he has been really good.  

For sure. I’ve been pretty fortunate on the sets I’ve seen, no complaints. The wave of their shows always seem to end on a high note and I always look forward to seeing them again. 
    Post edited by Hi! on

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,000
    JimmyV said:

We had a blast and were thankful to be under the pavilion roof. Wet day in the Commonwealth. Hadn't seen the full band since 2014, so this was a treat. 
    Jimmy, 
    it was my first show (post Boyd) since the 2015 tour too. I dug the “rain” theme . Agree with most of your opinions . “Searching for a Vein” and the other new slow songs are pure momentum killers . On the upside , I dug the “she’s so heavy > after everything” combo. The new song is promising . I thought “Madman” was pure fire! Lights , screaming , all the stuff of “Halloween” & “last stop” in one song . We got tour premiere of “what you are” too!
    mix of horns and Tim’s guitar were a bit muddled from my position back of section 2. I know some fans don’t like Tim raging his solos but I prefer that to him trying to play like BB king during #41.
    I thought Dave’s voice sounded healthier than some of the shows I saw in 2015 so that’s a plus. I still don’t get why Dave won’t add a replacement violin player. That instrument is so key to their whole sound. To expect long time fans to overlook that is just too much to ask in my opinion. 
    But I realize Dave is more similar to Neil Young than Eddie Vedder. He plays what he wants. Regardless of what the fan base may think it’s right.
    It’s a great concert though - I feel like I got my money is it worth.

"This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Love this.

• Options
    The Saturday concert at Deer Creek got cut short. DMB started about 7 and ended at 9....played 16 songs

They started early to beat a storm but people were bitching because it didn't start raining until around 10pm or so.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    The Saturday concert at Deer Creek got cut short. DMB started about 7 and ended at 9....played 16 songs

They started early to beat a storm but people were bitching because it didn't start raining until around 10pm or so.

I think they prefer to be careful.  If they time it wrong, then people are in the lots walking to their cars during a terrible storm.  I think it was 2018 in Bristow VA when a brutal storm hit right before 8PM.  The band couldn't come on until 9 because the venue couldn't let people on the lawn.  They were told to wait in their cars.  But then a flash flood hit one of the parking lots (literally) and a whole section was buried under 2-3 feet of water.  There were rescues and choppers in the area.  I was in the pit with my daughter, so was lucky.  But when we left the venue after the show, there were 20+ cars submerged in water in the lots.  It was crazy.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I think they prefer to be careful.  If they time it wrong, then people are in the lots walking to their cars during a terrible storm.  I think it was 2018 in Bristow VA when a brutal storm hit right before 8PM.  The band couldn't come on until 9 because the venue couldn't let people on the lawn.  They were told to wait in their cars.  But then a flash flood hit one of the parking lots (literally) and a whole section was buried under 2-3 feet of water.  There were rescues and choppers in the area.  I was in the pit with my daughter, so was lucky.  But when we left the venue after the show, there were 20+ cars submerged in water in the lots.  It was crazy.  
    Yeah I don't blame them for being safe. They put out notice to get there early and that the band would be going on around 7.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah I don't blame them for being safe. They put out notice to get there early and that the band would be going on around 7.
    And don't forget about the workers.  You get in your car and you're nice and safe while sitting in the lot waiting to leave.  The staff are directing traffic, cleaning up,  getting to their cars too. Plus the cops outside.  

Anyone complaining that they ended an hour too early are only thinking of themselves. 
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,537
    edited July 2023
    I do love Dave Matthews, but it gets frustrating to know that SPAC, Deer Creek, Gorge, Alpine get sets that blow the fans away, while most other cities get run-of-the-mill, mail it in setlists

Yes, I know there are exceptions...Burgettstown, Raleigh..but overall, the odds are not in my favour.
    Post edited by Gibson on
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: