Options

Dave Matthews Band

Comments

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Butch stopped in 08.  Rumor was that he enjoyed the groupies and it was the band or his wife.

Yes I’ve been consistent but I live in the center of three places he always hits, so it’s easy.  Charlottesville is definitely my favorite place to see him.  He plays JPJ Arena which is too small for him so it’s great.  It’s special. Plus, everyone will tell you that Pearl Jam Charlottesville 2013 was special too.  There is just a vibe about UVA that makes it a great place to see a show.  
    I've never seen DMB in Charlottesville, but I was at that 2013 PJ show at JPJ Arena and it was INDEED EPIC! I've seen a lot of PJ shows going back to '93 and that was a favorite. 

I heard about "trench coat guy", wasn't that at DMB playing the 1st show ever at the renovated or new JPJ Arena? Sounds like security was a hot mess that that whole thing happened, but glad they go back a lot and I'm sure they never got security wrong again there!
    Trench coat guy 😂. I forgot about that 
    Hearing that story was how I found out that The Last Stop is like a white whale for a lot of people. I had no idea they play it so infrequently, and apparently it was on the setlist to close that show but Trench Coat Guy messed it up for everyone, so it was like people were more mad abotu that than the potential safety hazard he posed to the band!
    People were pissed. Yelling at him and throwing stuff.  There are a lot of rumours as to who the guy is. It was discussed a lot 
    Anything credible about who he was? He just sounded like a very mentally unstable guy who maybe was a bit too obsessed with the band - was there anything more to the story or a different story about him that was credible?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Yeah it was the last show... I don't recall it being the reopening of the arena but certainly may have been.  And yeah definitely a whale but they brought it back in 19 and I got it twice in three shows,  but they abbreviated it.  

Last tour they brought back Sweet Up and Down and that was a whale for me. Loved it. 

But yes,  PJ at JPJ was one of the best PJ shows in the past decade plus for me. Perfect weather,  perfect arena,  perfect set. And we were rail in front of Stone.  If you recall, Ed gave a young man next to me his first drink of alcohol.  I talked to the father later on and he said they went backstage and Ed hung for a few and then they got a truckload of merch.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah it was the last show... I don't recall it being the reopening of the arena but certainly may have been.  And yeah definitely a whale but they brought it back in 19 and I got it twice in three shows,  but they abbreviated it.  

Last tour they brought back Sweet Up and Down and that was a whale for me. Loved it. 

But yes,  PJ at JPJ was one of the best PJ shows in the past decade plus for me. Perfect weather,  perfect arena,  perfect set. And we were rail in front of Stone.  If you recall, Ed gave a young man next to me his first drink of alcohol.  I talked to the father later on and he said they went backstage and Ed hung for a few and then they got a truckload of merch.
    Yes I remember that young man & his dad, but from a ways back because I was on the 1st level of seats on the side. That's a very sweet story, glad Ed was able to hang out with them for a bit. I BET they got a truckload of merch too, perfect!

If you were in front of Stone you probably didn't catch my favorite part of the show, but there was a guy I saw from my seats in a wheelchair trying to get into the pit but he didn't have a wristband. He was trying to explain to venue staff he couldn't see a THING from his seat further back on the floor because everyone was standing on their chairs, but they wouldn't let him in. I spotted someone who worked for PJ walking by and flagged him down, pointed out the guy in the wheelchair, and the guy said "I was just trying to find someone to give these to... and there he is!" and he had 2 pit wristbands in his hand, and he went to the guy, got him & his friend into the pit, and then PJ fans did what I figure they almost NEVER DO and parted like the Red Sea and gave him a path allt he way up to the rail, after the show had started!

I saw him when it was all over and he was in tears, he had such a great time and that was like the best icing on top of the cake of a freaking amazing PJ show.

Uh oh, did we break forum rules, talking about PJ in a non-PJ forum? ;)
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    JH6056 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Butch stopped in 08.  Rumor was that he enjoyed the groupies and it was the band or his wife.

Yes I’ve been consistent but I live in the center of three places he always hits, so it’s easy.  Charlottesville is definitely my favorite place to see him.  He plays JPJ Arena which is too small for him so it’s great.  It’s special. Plus, everyone will tell you that Pearl Jam Charlottesville 2013 was special too.  There is just a vibe about UVA that makes it a great place to see a show.  
    I've never seen DMB in Charlottesville, but I was at that 2013 PJ show at JPJ Arena and it was INDEED EPIC! I've seen a lot of PJ shows going back to '93 and that was a favorite. 

I heard about "trench coat guy", wasn't that at DMB playing the 1st show ever at the renovated or new JPJ Arena? Sounds like security was a hot mess that that whole thing happened, but glad they go back a lot and I'm sure they never got security wrong again there!
    Trench coat guy 😂. I forgot about that 
    Hearing that story was how I found out that The Last Stop is like a white whale for a lot of people. I had no idea they play it so infrequently, and apparently it was on the setlist to close that show but Trench Coat Guy messed it up for everyone, so it was like people were more mad abotu that than the potential safety hazard he posed to the band!
    People were pissed. Yelling at him and throwing stuff.  There are a lot of rumours as to who the guy is. It was discussed a lot 
    Anything credible about who he was? He just sounded like a very mentally unstable guy who maybe was a bit too obsessed with the band - was there anything more to the story or a different story about him that was credible?
    There were a lot of threads at ants.

speculation mostly as to how he got backstage in the first place in a trench coat if no one knew him 
  • Options
    I ended up editing that show so while I didn't see it at the time,  I saw it after when editing.  So many great memories.  It was also 2 days after Lou Reed died and a guy was roaming the pit in Lou shirt and giant sign.  There was all kinds of shit going on at the show. 

It reminds me of 2016 when the guy in the wheelchair from PJs 1998 show in Lauderdale was brought back on stage.  This was the famous guy who crowd surfed in his wheelchair at the Lauderdale baseball stadium.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I ended up editing that show so while I didn't see it at the time,  I saw it after when editing.  So many great memories.  It was also 2 days after Lou Reed died and a guy was roaming the pit in Lou shirt and giant sign.  There was all kinds of shit going on at the show. 

It reminds me of 2016 when the guy in the wheelchair from PJs 1998 show in Lauderdale was brought back on stage.  This was the famous guy who crowd surfed in his wheelchair at the Lauderdale baseball stadium.  
    Memriiiiiiies! I didn't know about the Lauderdale guy, so cool! And at a STADIUM show? Amazing he lived to tell, or that anyone did, that can't be easy to crowd surf in a wheelchair!

When you say you "edited the show", do you mean your own video? Or you edited an official version? I should look for more video fo that show, it was so memorable (if we're still talking about PJ Charlottesville I mean!).
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Memriiiiiiies! I didn't know about the Lauderdale guy, so cool! And at a STADIUM show? Amazing he lived to tell, or that anyone did, that can't be easy to crowd surf in a wheelchair!

When you say you "edited the show", do you mean your own video? Or you edited an official version? I should look for more video fo that show, it was so memorable (if we're still talking about PJ Charlottesville I mean!).
    I edit full concerts as a hobby.  Been on hiatus for a little bit of time.  here's the channel, check it out.  Probably half of them get taken down, but there are still like 25 up, including two DMB shows.  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn-WEUogXBFbwfm3nmGN3rw
  • Options
    Even easier, link directly to Last Stop..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIP8PJzssdQ&t=2658s
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Even easier, link directly to Last Stop..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIP8PJzssdQ&t=2658s
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    So I have been in and out of the Warehouse numerous times over the years. Currently I've been active since Jan 2019. Should I bother going for GA Pit tickets? I am going to the Toronto show. One night only and the pit is always packed with hard-cores. I am guessing that 3 consecutive years in won't get me pit tickets. Any advice?

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited February 2022
    So I have been in and out of the Warehouse numerous times over the years. Currently I've been active since Jan 2019. Should I bother going for GA Pit tickets? I am going to the Toronto show. One night only and the pit is always packed with hard-cores. I am guessing that 3 consecutive years in won't get me pit tickets. Any advice?

I’ve been an active member for twenty years (this year) and they gave me lawn a couple of years ago. It’s a crap shoot 

some newer members got selected for better seats surely.  Seems like it use to be random selection for tickets then seniority determined the seat location of the pool of members that got selected.  I highly doubt that’s what they do now in practice 

I put in for the woodlands which is not a popular show as far as hardcore fans travelling to. It’s a big city casual fan show.  I bet im near the back of lower reserved on the side
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options

I’ve been an active member for twenty years (this year) and they gave me lawn a couple of years ago. It’s a crap shoot 

some newer members got selected for better seats surely.  Seems like it use to be random selection for tickets then seniority determined the seat location of the pool of members that got selected.  I highly doubt that’s what they do now in practice 

I put in for the woodlands which is not a popular show as far as hardcore fans travelling to. It’s a big city casual fan show.  I bet im near the back of lower reserved on the side
    Since I'm almost always in front of my pc,  I have started waiting for the instant ticket drop.  I get pit every year that way 

It's also easy to get tickets through the various channels at face so long as you're not trying to do SPAC or the other travel destinations.  I do Virginia shows so it's easy for me. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    mrussel1 said:

Since I'm almost always in front of my pc,  I have started waiting for the instant ticket drop.  I get pit every year that way 

It's also easy to get tickets through the various channels at face so long as you're not trying to do SPAC or the other travel destinations.  I do Virginia shows so it's easy for me. 
    Weirdly enough I have had good luck at gorge shows. 
    Never done SPAC or Alpine 

when I get awful seats at the random venues it’s just odd. I didn’t select to be considered for lawn this time so yeah it’s instant ticketing depending on how this goes 
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910

Don't know why you wouldn't. I'm not 100% sure tickets are done by seniority anymore. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    For those looking, Plaid Room has a Live at Hollywood Bowl LP set. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,536
    Jumb0 said:

Don't know why you wouldn't. I'm not 100% sure tickets are done by seniority anymore. 
    I believe the PIT is random draw. That being said, it takes a little while for pits in Toronto to sell out through ticketmaster. This year especially, as they'll be close to $200CAD each. Zac Brown still has PITs in Toronto available at that price, and he's been on sale for weeks.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    Thanks for the info everyone! I decided not to request tickets. I'm just gonna hit the pre sales and public if need be. I've been in the pit for every DMB show I've ever attended. I think I just might go reserved seats for the first time... well maybe?

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Thanks for the info everyone! I decided not to request tickets. I'm just gonna hit the pre sales and public if need be. I've been in the pit for every DMB show I've ever attended. I think I just might go reserved seats for the first time... well maybe?

To be honest I feel like I’m getting too old for the pit.  It’s nice for proximity but I kind of prefer having my own designated space.  As long as it’s close to the pit, reserved tickets are preferable to me 

i was literally front row center for a Dave and Tim show in London. It was obviously a sit down show but the constant eye contact for 3 plus hours was a bit awkward.  It was like I was being watched to see if I’m reacting the right way to each song.  I actually didn’t like it 

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

To be honest I feel like I’m getting too old for the pit.  It’s nice for proximity but I kind of prefer having my own designated space.  As long as it’s close to the pit, reserved tickets are preferable to me 

i was literally front row center for a Dave and Tim show in London. It was obviously a sit down show but the constant eye contact for 3 plus hours was a bit awkward.  It was like I was being watched to see if I’m reacting the right way to each song.  I actually didn’t like it 

I've been front row to PJ a few times, and Mike threw picks at me for screaming "yeah, Jeff" after Help, Help. I deserved it. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

I've been front row to PJ a few times, and Mike threw picks at me for screaming "yeah, Jeff" after Help, Help. I deserved it. 
    I can tell you it’s 1000 times more awkward at a calm acoustic show than a rock concert where everyone is jumping around. I had the same seats for two nights. Night 2 I changed to row 3.  I think after the show the people we swapped tickets with understood why 😂
  • Options
    Pending charges have hit the bank account. Got hit with the max charge for Huntsville so hoping they are pit
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jumb0 said:
    Pending charges have hit the bank account. Got hit with the max charge for Huntsville so hoping they are pit
    Nice. Max charge for me as well 

so I looked as since this was my only request it was “priority” I guess seniority counts for your first request if it’s not specified to a different show, or if it’s your only request it’s automatically your priority show 

so I guess that’s how they handle seniority now? I haven’t paid attention to the ticketing guidelines for a number of years 
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,631

I think that much eye contact would be great. I get very close to the front of a lot of shows, and most artists look out over the crowd toward the back, DMB included. Jim James probably made the most eye contact with the people in the front compared to any show I've been too.
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited February 2022
    Can’t wait for Pine Knob show. I had a blast seeing DMB there last year. Booked the closest hotel to venue which is within walking distance. They sell weed at the venue. You can walk around blowing J’s with no worries. Ill probably be seeing JJ there in July as well. I was hoping DMB would be playing some shows in Illinois because I’m only going to shows in Marijuana friendly states from now on. 

Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Maybe they play Soldier Field or Wrigley just not announced yet. I wonder if PJ would play Soldier Field.🤷‍♂️

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Maybe they play Soldier Field or Wrigley just not announced yet. I wonder if PJ would play Soldier Field.🤷‍♂️

I think DMB's stadium days are over. Maybe a baseball stadium like a Fenway or Wrigley but not an NFL stadium.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,945
    Yeah, I'll be mid 40s this summer. Not treking up to Alpine anymore. I need a city show. Would love a Wrigley show.

• Options
    Yeah, I'll be mid 40s this summer. Not treking up to Alpine anymore. I need a city show. Would love a Wrigley show.

I feel the same way about camping at the gorge.  Unless I fly in and rent an RV somewhere I’m not doing it. 

And under normal circumstances I’m an avid camper.  Just not that kind anymore 
  • Options
    Charges are now real. No confirmations yet though. 
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,536
    Jumb0 said:
    Charges are now real. No confirmations yet though. 
    I applaud everyone that checks their card for charges. i don't even want to know what my balance is.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: