Options

Dave Matthews Band

12324262829

Comments

  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,800
    JimmyV said:

    It must be Dave.  I'm pretty sure they've done without everyone in the past.  Or maybe they don't want to repeat the Gorge. 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,028
    Gotta be Dave, right? 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995
    Agreed it has to be Dave. 
    ___________________________________________

    "...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,577
    Assuming so. They powered through the Gorge last year with drummer + bassist out. Would be a huge insult to fans if it was anyone other than Dave that's out for the count.

    Side note, please don't hate on this comment. I said pretty much the same thing on a DMB forum and got treated like I ruined someone's wedding.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2,

  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,028
    Yeah. Fans are weird. But you are correct. A similar discussion happened in the PJ forum covid thread. And it’s the same thing with Ed. 
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Just picked up Red Rocks boxset. I’ve slept on these guys and criticized too harshly in the past. Good music is just good music. 

    '95 or '05? 
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Jumb0 said:
    This is one of Dave's best songs in years.  Hopefully the entire album is this strong.
    Scio me nihil scire

    There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    static111 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    This is one of Dave's best songs in years.  Hopefully the entire album is this strong.

    I am cautiously optimistic. 
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited January 2023
    Looking forward to the Clarkston show. Was able to get a hotel room near venue for a decent price.🤙🏻
    They played the “new” song last year at the Clarkston show if I’m not mistaken.
    Post edited by Hi! on

    Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,800
    static111 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    This is one of Dave's best songs in years.  Hopefully the entire album is this strong.
    Haven't had a chance to listen,  but I thought the last record was very good.  

    I'm looking forward to the new record but really surprised there is no Virginia stop.  Probably means two Charlottesville shows in the winter,  but still strange.
  • Options
    Hoping to see them for the first time in Bangor!!
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    This is one of Dave's best songs in years.  Hopefully the entire album is this strong.
    Haven't had a chance to listen,  but I thought the last record was very good.  

    I'm looking forward to the new record but really surprised there is no Virginia stop.  Probably means two Charlottesville shows in the winter,  but still strange.

    No Alpine Valley either which is very strange 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,227
    static111 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    This is one of Dave's best songs in years.  Hopefully the entire album is this strong.

    yeah pretty decent song. Last album I liked from them was Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 413
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    This is one of Dave's best songs in years.  Hopefully the entire album is this strong.
    Haven't had a chance to listen,  but I thought the last record was very good.  

    I'm looking forward to the new record but really surprised there is no Virginia stop.  Probably means two Charlottesville shows in the winter,  but still strange.
    My guess is he's playing Pharrell's festival in VA Beach 
  • Options
    JibitiJibiti Posts: 264
    Jumb0 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    This is one of Dave's best songs in years.  Hopefully the entire album is this strong.
    Haven't had a chance to listen,  but I thought the last record was very good.  

    I'm looking forward to the new record but really surprised there is no Virginia stop.  Probably means two Charlottesville shows in the winter,  but still strange.

    No Alpine Valley either which is very strange 
    They’ve been alternating between Alpine and Summerfest, one this year the other next year, the past few tours recently.
    6.30.06 - Marcus Ampitheatre (Summerfest),
    9.03-04.11 PJ20!!!
    7.19.13 - Wrigley!!!
    10.19.14, 10.20.14 (Yield!!)
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

    I’m guessing they probably are going to, but I hope DMB does the Friday night concerts on Sirius again this year. One of my favorite pastimes last summer was getting really high and doing a bike ride and/or hike whilst listening. 

    Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I'm wondering if some bigger DMB fans can help me answer this or know more than me.  Has it been verified that Dave mostly played the Lakewood on Live at Luther College? Or is this an assumption because the only photo of him with a guitar on this set happens to be the Lakewood?  I understood he played his HD28 and the Lakewood during this period mostly but would like to know.  That sound on live at Luther College is IMO the best Dave Matthews acoustic tone on record.
    Scio me nihil scire

    There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,800
    static111 said:
    I'm wondering if some bigger DMB fans can help me answer this or know more than me.  Has it been verified that Dave mostly played the Lakewood on Live at Luther College? Or is this an assumption because the only photo of him with a guitar on this set happens to be the Lakewood?  I understood he played his HD28 and the Lakewood during this period mostly but would like to know.  That sound on live at Luther College is IMO the best Dave Matthews acoustic tone on record.
    I have no idea what he played but there are other soundboard recordings from that tour.  They were up in the NE somewhere.  I can see if I can dig one up so you can compare.  

    But i had always attributed the sound quality to the Chris Bellman mastering genius rather than a different instrument. 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    I'm wondering if some bigger DMB fans can help me answer this or know more than me.  Has it been verified that Dave mostly played the Lakewood on Live at Luther College? Or is this an assumption because the only photo of him with a guitar on this set happens to be the Lakewood?  I understood he played his HD28 and the Lakewood during this period mostly but would like to know.  That sound on live at Luther College is IMO the best Dave Matthews acoustic tone on record.
    I have no idea what he played but there are other soundboard recordings from that tour.  They were up in the NE somewhere.  I can see if I can dig one up so you can compare.  

    But i had always attributed the sound quality to the Chris Bellman mastering genius rather than a different instrument. 
    I did some sleuthing and there are old pics from Des Moines newspapers with him playing a Martin at the Luther college show.  So it looks like that was part of it.  That set sounds amazing on CD and the vinyl blows it away.  What an amazing acoustic guitar sound.  I like that there is less pickup present than the Radio City album
    Scio me nihil scire

    There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,800
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    I'm wondering if some bigger DMB fans can help me answer this or know more than me.  Has it been verified that Dave mostly played the Lakewood on Live at Luther College? Or is this an assumption because the only photo of him with a guitar on this set happens to be the Lakewood?  I understood he played his HD28 and the Lakewood during this period mostly but would like to know.  That sound on live at Luther College is IMO the best Dave Matthews acoustic tone on record.
    I have no idea what he played but there are other soundboard recordings from that tour.  They were up in the NE somewhere.  I can see if I can dig one up so you can compare.  

    But i had always attributed the sound quality to the Chris Bellman mastering genius rather than a different instrument. 
    I did some sleuthing and there are old pics from Des Moines newspapers with him playing a Martin at the Luther college show.  So it looks like that was part of it.  That set sounds amazing on CD and the vinyl blows it away.  What an amazing acoustic guitar sound.  I like that there is less pickup present than the Radio City album
    It is definitely a sweeter tone and more engaging sound than Radio City or some of the other acoustic sets out there.  Luther is such an amazing point in time, playing Crash songs before they were released.  He had so much energy and his voice was just on point.  It's up there with Neil at Massey for acoustic sets for me.  That's as high of praise as you can get.  

    I don't know if you are a Bruce guy, but there are a pair of shows called the Cristic Shows from 1990 that are just Bruce and a guitar.  It's not vinyl, just digital release, but similar experience to Neil and DMB.  Night one blows me away every time. 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I love most bruce. especially pre "I'm the most important artist in the world" days.  Although arguably that was anytime after born to run.  Up until Magic I was avidly buying the albums and going to shows but some of the stuff lately hasn't really resonated since the broadway thing and Western Sub Pars... I mean western stars

    Scio me nihil scire

    There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,800
    static111 said:
    I love most bruce. especially pre "I'm the most important artist in the world" days.  Although arguably that was anytime after born to run.  Up until Magic I was avidly buying the albums and going to shows but some of the stuff lately hasn't really resonated since the broadway thing and Western Sub Pars... I mean western stars

    I think his 80's stuff was A+.  I'm probably an outlier but I think Tunnel of Love is a great, great record.  I know there is no Clarence, but it reminds me of Wildflowers, being intensely personal, as his marriage disintegrates.  
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    I love most bruce. especially pre "I'm the most important artist in the world" days.  Although arguably that was anytime after born to run.  Up until Magic I was avidly buying the albums and going to shows but some of the stuff lately hasn't really resonated since the broadway thing and Western Sub Pars... I mean western stars

    I think his 80's stuff was A+.  I'm probably an outlier but I think Tunnel of Love is a great, great record.  I know there is no Clarence, but it reminds me of Wildflowers, being intensely personal, as his marriage disintegrates.  
    Tunnel of Love is in my top 5 bruce albums.
    Scio me nihil scire

    There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995
    Good luck to all trying for tickets today. Hoping for a decent pair in Mansfield. 
    ___________________________________________

    "...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995
    Covered seats on the aisle, left center for Mansfield. I'm pleased.
    ___________________________________________

    "...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,800
    JimmyV said:
    Covered seats on the aisle, left center for Mansfield. I'm pleased.
    Nice, congrats.  

    I think this will be the first year since 98 that I have missed.  There are no VA shows as of now.  Although they often schedule two Charlottesville shows in Nov/Dec.  I'm hoping for that.  The closest show for me right now is Merriweather and that's a huge pain to get to from VA. 
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Got a aisle for Clarkston @ $116. Last row of seats, which is nice for getting whiskeys and using bathroom quickly.

    Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    edited February 2023
    Made a complete rookie mistake this morning and forgot that onsale times are 10am local to the venue...not just 10 am local to me
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    The 2/17/23 show from Cancun, MX is on Sirius. Listened to half of it yesterday, starting second half now. Pretty good. Glad to see they’re doing the Friday Night Concert series again.

    Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Sign In or Register to comment.