Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Loving in LA for all of those years (especially where we were in the Marina) it was constant.  Not anything to blink at.  Where we are now I'm sure people would make a deal about it....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    We occasionally get movie shoots in Victoria, but it's far more common in Vancouver.

Had a great run this morning as the sun rose. 2oC and mostly clear. I ran near the ocean for about a quarter of it and watched the sun over the water. Didn't even have anything more than a light ocean breeze to deal with! Apparently my second fastest 10k. I'm all set up for a good day today. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited December 2020
    We occasionally get movie shoots in Victoria, but it's far more common in Vancouver.

Had a great run this morning as the sun rose. 2oC and mostly clear. I ran near the ocean for about a quarter of it and watched the sun over the water. Didn't even have anything more than a light ocean breeze to deal with! Apparently my second fastest 10k. I'm all set up for a good day today. 
    Awesome. Running by the ocean sounds nice. I love running along the river. Congrats on your speedy 10K. Today is my off day, but I will be running tomorrow.

You inspired me. I did my best time for a 10k today. The weather was weird. Really damp and foggy. I felt like steam was coming off me. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Great work!
    Got totally hammered last night.  Needed to run it off this morning but couldn't.  
    Frustrating.
    Oh well, will enjoy hearing from y'all and how well you are doing with it and wait.
    Great work!
    Got totally hammered last night.  Needed to run it off this morning but couldn't.  
    Frustrating.
    Oh well, will enjoy hearing from y'all and how well you are doing with it and wait.
    You’re not even cracking a little on your decision to wait until ortho makes a decision? ;)
    GlowGirl said:

You inspired me. I did my best time for a 10k today. The weather was weird. Really damp and foggy. I felt like steam was coming off me. 
    Congrats! Seems like the foggy weather worked out for you. 

There was a little low fog when I ran through Beacon Hill Park yesterday, too. Was eerie and beautiful. 
    Great work!
    Frustrating.
    You’re not even cracking a little on your decision to wait until ortho makes a decision? ;)
    Ha.  Apt is Tuesday so I'll know soon enough!
    GlowGirl said:

Congrats! Seems like the foggy weather worked out for you. 

There was a little low fog when I ran through Beacon Hill Park yesterday, too. Was eerie and beautiful. 
    Yeah. The fog was crazy at the East River. I saw only faint outlines of the Brooklyn and Williamsburg Bridges. I should have stopped to take a photo. 
    Great work!
    Frustrating.
    Ha.  Apt is Tuesday so I'll know soon enough!
    Good luck with the appointment. You are being good and waiting. 
    Well, on the shelf until likely February.  Have to wear this fucker until at least January and then am looking at PT.  Tear in a tendon is the part that requires the boot.  Hopefully immobilizing sees that heal quickly - could take an additional 3 weeks and/or surgery if not 
    Shit all over the mri showing the tendonitis, as well.  Doc said it is like sand in your eye...which explains the discomfort when running.

Oh well - good news is I got the 2020 commitment done and should be able to get back to it early in 2021.
    Short term bad news is this thing kinda sucks.

Well, on the shelf until likely February.  Have to wear this fucker until at least January and then am looking at PT.  Tear in a tendon is the part that requires the boot.  Hopefully immobilizing sees that heal quickly - could take an additional 3 weeks and/or surgery if not 
    Shit all over the mri showing the tendonitis, as well.  Doc said it is like sand in your eye...which explains the discomfort when running.

Oh well - good news is I got the 2020 commitment done and should be able to get back to it early in 2021.

Ugh. Sorry to hear this. I am sure that torn tendon was painful. Even more impressive that you ran the marathon a few weeks ago. February will be here before you know it. With the holidays it will feel like a few weeks. It's really good you got it looked at and are now taking care of it. Many people often ignore it until it is too late. Hoping for no surgery, and a speedy recovery.

Thanks.  Will just have to root y'all on for the next month or two.

Damn. Was hoping that it was one of the minor issues but I guess it wasn’t. Is it a full or partial 
    tear? 

Damn. Was hoping that it was one of the minor issues but I guess it wasn’t. Is it a full or partial 
    tear? 
    Partial, he is hoping it will grow together.

tear? 
    Partial, he is hoping it will grow together.
    I hope so as well. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Today I ran on the treadmill with a mask for my second time this week. It was just a bit too cold for me to run outside this morning. I think I am getting more used to it. The mask was bothersome, but not as bad as it was a few weeks ago. I managed 5.3 miles. I was varying my speed for variety. Still pretty boring though. The good thing is that at the time I go to the gym, it is fairly empty. I usually have several rows of treadmills to myself. So, I feel ok being there for now. 

Good to hear you are comfortable.  What music are you listening to when running?
    Yes. I am comfortable being at the gym, but would be more comfortable on the treadmill without mask. I put together a running playlist of music with my favorite motivating songs. I have a lot of variety - from Suicidal Tendencies to the Beatles. Listening to music is the best part of my run. My gym treadmills have TVs on them and I never watch, even with the closed captioning. I wonder if listening to music and watching something on TV with closed captioning would make the time go faster. Do any of you do that?
    GlowGirl said:
    Yes. I am comfortable being at the gym, but would be more comfortable on the treadmill without mask. I put together a running playlist of music with my favorite motivating songs. I have a lot of variety - from Suicidal Tendencies to the Beatles. Listening to music is the best part of my run. My gym treadmills have TVs on them and I never watch, even with the closed captioning. I wonder if listening to music and watching something on TV with closed captioning would make the time go faster. Do any of you do that?
    Not both.  Last year I did most of my running on treadmills and much in hotel gyms.  Always head down, ear buds in.  
    Suicidal.  I haven't listened to them in a while.  Have to do that.  Infectious Grooves, also.  You know then?
    That first record is so much fun - would be good to run to.
    GlowGirl said:
    Not both.  Last year I did most of my running on treadmills and much in hotel gyms.  Always head down, ear buds in.  
    Suicidal.  I haven't listened to them in a while.  Have to do that.  Infectious Grooves, also.  You know then?
    That first record is so much fun - would be good to run to.
    I have heard of Infectious Grooves but aren’t that familiar with them. I will check them out. I love Suicidal Tendencies. Only saw them once live but what an insane show. I had to keep moving back as the mosh pit got bigger and bigger. 
    Yes.  Amazing live show. Infectious Grooves includes some of their band members. 
    Morning run went well and I was feeling like I was running fast and really on track for a personal best 10km, based at least partly on where I was on my soundtrack when I got to certain parts of my route. Checked strava when I got back and congratulations to me, I have a new............ personal second best time! :lol: So, I beat last week's time but still not fast enough.

I think that strava is just messing with me. I can't find this mythical "personal best" time in my recorded runs. I suspect that strava just keeps moving the goalposts, so that I keep trying to do better ;).
    I like that strava tactic!

I was at the optometrist today and he kept asking me questions (he used to run) and after listening to all this stuff about my last few years, the injury, the ultra plan, blah blah blah.....he said he thought I was either really inspiring or a complete nutjob.

I like this doc.  (Also agree on the nutjob part.)

I put in my running earbuds last night while watching football and blasted a run track.
    Missing that!
    Morning run went well and I was feeling like I was running fast and really on track for a personal best 10km, based at least partly on where I was on my soundtrack when I got to certain parts of my route. Checked strava when I got back and congratulations to me, I have a new............ personal second best time! :lol: So, I beat last week's time but still not fast enough.

I think that strava is just messing with me. I can't find this mythical "personal best" time in my recorded runs. I suspect that strava just keeps moving the goalposts, so that I keep trying to do better ;).
    Maybe it’s like dangling a carrot in front of you ;)   Lucky you got to run outside. We still have a lot of ice and slush on the sidewalk so it will be the treadmill for me tomorrow. 
    Finally got to run outside today after the last week on a treadmill. It was glorious. Had to dodge a few puddles of melting snow, but it was really nice weather for a run.
    That is awesome!
    I got some new shoes for Christmas....now I need to be able to use them!
    Also got a book on Ultra training.  Gonna be a grind but I am eager to get started.
    That is awesome!
    I got some new shoes for Christmas....now I need to be able to use them!
    Also got a book on Ultra training.  Gonna be a grind but I am eager to get started.
    How is the foot doing? Are you going to get PT for it? Once you are back out there keep us posted on the ultra training. Sounds like a goal. I hope you are back out running soon. I had to do the treadmill yesterday but should be back outside tomorrow. 
    Still in the boot until at least the week after next.  

It was too cold yesterday or was it raining?
    Still in the boot until at least the week after next.  

It was too cold yesterday or was it raining?
    The time should go by fast and you will be back out there in no time. 

Yesterday was too cold for me. It was in the 20s. The coldest I have run outside in comfortably is around 35. Tomorrow should be good for outside. 
    Nice day for a run. I was debating whether to run outside or go to the gym since it was cold. Ended up running outside and enjoying the weather. My hands got a bit cold (even with gloves). Otherwise, it was nice. 5.5 miles.