so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    bbiggs said:
    ^ It had been so long for me too. I’m more of a boring turkey guy these days, but whenever I get up there I have to go for it. 
    I know. If those Italian subs were not full of nitrates and sodium I would eat them more often. It’s sucks getting older and becoming aware of nutritional values. When I was younger I just ate anything without a second thought. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ You got it! It’s fun getting old lol 
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Braised beef sandwich from Stockyard sandwich Co. with house made wiz. Also with their fried potatoes which are one of the crunchiest things I’ve ever eaten. So good.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Holy FSM

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Hells yes Biggs!!! Looks great. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    ^ Funny thing is I used to crush that 12 inch and the pasta salad in one sitting all day long growing up. I thought about it today but wussed out after eating half. 😂 

F Me, you’re right bud. The pasta salad is bomb and just as exciting as the sub for me since I get both so infrequently. Delish 
    Yeah that pasta salad is what caught my eye the most. Going to have to get some now. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Dinics. Their hoagies are underrated because everyone goes there for the roast pork. This one was PHENOMENAL. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    The roast pork is great there, of course, but everythings I've had there has been delicious.
    That looks great!
    🤤 
    Dinics. Their hoagies are underrated because everyone goes there for the roast pork. This one was PHENOMENAL. 

This looks incredible. Are those sweet peppers? 
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    I think they're long hots. Looks amazing. 
    I ve only had the famous pork at dinics, however that sub looks 10/10 juggler!!
    Yeah those are long hots.

But, no, that is not a "sub." Come on, Gruff. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I've never had long hots.  They don't put them on sandwiches here, but I'd definitely like to try them. 

Just stop with that hoagie stuff.
    mcgruff10 said:

A sub is a watercraft capable of independent operation underwater. A hoagie is a delicious sandwich. Beat it. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mcgruff10 said:

A sub is a watercraft capable of independent operation underwater. A hoagie is a delicious sandwich. Beat it. 
    You probably call them "grinders" too.  Did you order a "pop" with it?
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You probably call them "grinders" too.  Did you order a "pop" with it?
    I don't know what a pop is. Soda?

Grinder is just a hoagie that's been heated up. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah a pop is soda.  I didn't realize a grinder is heated up, I thought sub, hero, hoagie and grinder were the same thing.  

https://www.thekitchn.com/hoagies-heroes-subs-and-grinders-whats-the-deal-with-these-sandwich-names-222944
    Layer some meat, maybe some cheese, a spread, and your favorite toppings between two slices of bread and you’ve got yourself a sandwich. Swap that bread for a long, thick roll (the longer, the better) and you’ve got something else entirely. This isn’t just a sandwich — it’s something far greater.

As for what it’s called, however, that’s a whole other thing. Hoagie, sub, grinder — what’s the deal with all these names for a fairly straightforward food?

Subs

Growing up in northern New Jersey, I knew these sandwiches — piled high with meat, cheese, fixings, and dressing — by one name: a sub. Served on a long Italian roll anywhere from six inches to six feet, this sandwich is named for its resemblance to a submarine.

“Sub” is probably the most widely used name for this type of cold sandwich. Whether you’re in the north, south, east coast, west coast, or midwest, you’ve probably used this term before. (Or at the very least, you’ve heard of it.)

Hoagies

Going to college in Pennsylvania taught me that people from Philadelphia and South Jersey are adamant about calling this sandwich a “hoagie.” Like a sub, hoagies are also served cold, but have a stronger association with Italian-Ameican culture.

There are several theories surrounding the origin of this sandwich’s name. One of my favorites is that these sandwiches got their name from popularity among the Italian immigrants who worked at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, once known as Hog Island. These workers were known as “hoggies,” which eventually morphed into “hoagies.”

Heroes

This sandwich variation hails from New York City, and is seemingly the most versatile. It uses a range of different fillings that span beyond meat and cheese, and can be served warm or cold.

One fun explanation is that the name implies the heroic effort needed to actually eat this sandwich.

Grinders

This sandwich variation is well-known among New Englanders, and can be served warm or cold. Instead of cold cuts and cheese, you might also find grinders filled with meatballs or sliced chicken breast.

One theory is that these long sandwiches got their name because they require so much grinding or chewing.

What do you call this type of sandwich?

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    It’s always been sub to me. 
    Hmm...never knew of the New England vernacular. I don't normally get a grinder but, around here, it's just a hoagie thrown in the oven for a bit. 

God damnit....I want another hoagie now
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • North of England say pop for what you call soda
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Hmm...never knew of the New England vernacular. I don't normally get a grinder but, around here, it's just a hoagie thrown in the oven for a bit. 

God damnit....I want another hoagie now
    Don't believe the hype. We don't call them grinders here. We call them subs.
    Maybe in Maine or Vermont, I don't know,
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Grew up in VT and it was a grinder when it went in the oven

North of England say pop for what you call soda
    Would that be Scotland?
    edited December 2020

Staying in ludlow this summer with the fam.   I would like a list of all good pizza and sub places within a 60 mile radius.   
    I’ve never used the term grinder but I used to order an incredible meatball sub quite a bit. Its just called a meatball sub though. 
    mcgruff10 said:

Staying in ludlow this summer with the fam.   I would like a list of all good pizza and sub places within a 60 mile radius.   
    Here is your list:

Did you get them all?  :lol: