so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    Grinder is a Connecticut term.  Hot or cold. The westchester NY version of a cheesesteak is called a balboa.  Grilled roast beef, thin onions, provolone on a wedge (local term for sub roll) that is similar to garlic bread (butter, garlic and Italian herbs).  Damn good and neither jersey Mike or Subway come close. That said, a bad cheesesteak is still good in most cases!
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,300
    Grinder is a sandwich that is toasted to melt the cheese, right?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited September 2021
    Grinder down here I would say is either a a) hot hoagie (meatball) or b) toasted hoagie of any kind. Though this is like is a hot dog a sandwich, because a cheesesteak is definitely not a grinder.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551

And crisp the bread, I do believe.
    (Although as others are sharing...in the land of the Grinders (CT) they call the cold shit grinders.  I always thought of grinders as toasted.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    No a cheesesteak is not a grinder - the cheese is melted with the beef on the cooking top and the roll is not toasted.

Carlino's in Ardmore makes a sort of grinder version of a roast pork sandwich - everything is melted in the oven after they make the sandwich.

These outside of Philly people just don't get it - when you're here get a damn roast pork sandwich idiots!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    No a cheesesteak is not a grinder - the cheese is melted with the beef on the cooking top and the roll is not toasted.

Carlino's in Ardmore makes a sort of grinder version of a roast pork sandwich - everything is melted in the oven after they make the sandwich.

These outside of Philly people just don't get it - when you're here get a damn roast pork sandwich idiots!

Hahahaha. 

(Although as others are sharing...in the land of the Grinders (CT) they call the cold shit grinders.  I always thought of grinders as toasted.)

Hot or cold, we always called them grinders in CT.  Some of the shops even had grinder in the name "franklin giant grinders" is one that comes to mind. Italian combo, sausage and peppers, pepper and egg, meatball, tuna, whatever, it was always called a grinder.  I am not going to touch the "is a cheesesteak a grinder" question but it was not something that was included in most menus.  Heck I do not think I ever heard of cheesesteaks until my mom brought home a package of steak-ums LOL. Been to philly many, many times over the years and have to agree the roast pork with provolone and rabe at John's is the best sandwich I have had.  DiNic's is good too.  Been to pat's and geno's, tony lukes, and a place I think they used to call Chinks, and honestly, they were all pretty good!  Cannot say I have ever had a bad cheesesteak.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    Get_Right said:

Hot or cold, we always called them grinders in CT.  Some of the shops even had grinder in the name "franklin giant grinders" is one that comes to mind. Italian combo, sausage and peppers, pepper and egg, meatball, tuna, whatever, it was always called a grinder.  I am not going to touch the "is a cheesesteak a grinder" question but it was not something that was included in most menus.  Heck I do not think I ever heard of cheesesteaks until my mom brought home a package of steak-ums LOL. Been to philly many, many times over the years and have to agree the roast pork with provolone and rabe at John's is the best sandwich I have had.  DiNic's is good too.  Been to pat's and geno's, tony lukes, and a place I think they used to call Chinks, and honestly, they were all pretty good!  Cannot say I have ever had a bad cheesesteak.  
    You should try Jersey Mike's
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    Get_Right said:

The only repulsive cheese steak I had was one from domino's.  So nasty. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Get_Right said:

Lol....oh man...why order it in the first place?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mcgruff10 said:
    Get_Right said:

Lol....oh man...why order it in the first place?
    My kids wanted to give it a try.  They'll eat almost anything and they even thought it was disgusting.  I was half in the bag and I still couldn't eat it.  lol
    I have had Jersey Mikes.  it was ok, JM did not last long around here, gone after about 9 months. Too many good delis nearby and JM was expensive for fast food. I could see Domino's being inedible.  Once in a blue moon I order Domino's while traveling or late late night when there is nothing else and my body loudly reminds me that there is nothing good about Domino's.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    Get_Right said:
    I have had Jersey Mikes.  it was ok, JM did not last long around here, gone after about 9 months. Too many good delis nearby and JM was expensive for fast food. I could see Domino's being inedible.  Once in a blue moon I order Domino's while traveling or late late night when there is nothing else and my body loudly reminds me that there is nothing good about Domino's.
    there's one a few miles from me and near the record store i go to, but never had anything from there, no desire to I guess.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    I don't think Pearl Jam was even a band yet last time I ate anything from Domino's.

I don't think Pearl Jam was even a band yet last time I ate anything from Domino's.
    I delivered for them when I was a kid and I didn't even eat their shit for free. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Went with the Campos wiz wit.  Freaking delish. 
    Glad you liked it!
    I don't touch the fake plastic cheez but I guess people like it for some reason.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,511
    Got (i think it was) a smoked brisket with sharp prov and rabe at an indoor place with all those food stands a while ago. It was one of the best things i ever ate.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    I don't touch the fake plastic cheez but I guess people like it for some reason.

I never understood the cheese whiz thing either, but I'm also not from Philly so I know nothing.  Why the phony, processed crap over the real deal?  I put fresh shredded mozzarella on my italian beefs sometimes, but couldn't imagine putting something out of a jar on it.  What's the story with this?
    The story is it's salty and delicious, especially at 3am in an alcoholic haze.
    The story is it's salty and delicious, especially at 3am in an alcoholic haze.

LOL.  Fair enough.  Just one of those things I guess.
    But also if I'm getting a cheesesteak at 3am then it's a Heart Attack - Provolone, American, and Whiz.

Personally, on a cheesesteak I go American or the Cooper sharp. Prov is good I guess, but I don't think it's a great choice for a cheesesteak.

Yeah if I'm eating at 3 am in a drunken stupor, all bets are off.  American or prov sounds great.  Sharp cheddar every used?  If I ever get to Philly, getting a proper cheese steak is on the must-do list.
    bbiggs said:
    Yeah if I'm eating at 3 am in a drunken stupor, all bets are off.  American or prov sounds great.  Sharp cheddar every used?  If I ever get to Philly, getting a proper cheese steak is on the must-do list.
    Yeah, that's the Cooper Sharp my bad. I just think those types of cheeses, especially American (salty, creamy, etc) work best on a cheesesteak.

If ya ever do get her for one you know the place to go for recs!  =)
    The three of us agreed that next time we won't be ordering wiz, gotta go with american or prov.  I guess we got caught up in the moment since the ten people ahead of us ordered it with wiz and it's a novelty for us since no one adds that topping around here.   
    bbiggs said:
    Yeah, that's the Cooper Sharp my bad. I just think those types of cheeses, especially American (salty, creamy, etc) work best on a cheesesteak.

If ya ever do get her for one you know the place to go for recs!  =)
    You better believe it.  This thread will give me all of the info I need.  I'd go to one of the "less known" spots for the real deal over the tourist magnets, even though I'm sure they're great too.  Hopefully I can make this happen...maybe for a PJ show in the '22 Fall leg.

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,199
    Isn’t American just as fake as wiz? I honestly don’t know.

But either way, I think the reason that they are the 2 most popular choices is because they coat the steak and make everything in the sandwich combine as one. Prov tastes great, but it leaves a lot of the meat out to dry (pun intended). 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    I can see wiz tasting ok when combined with the other ingredients but yeah....I would opt for American.  That's the perfect cheese for a cheesesteak in my opinion.

As much as I knock wiz I have to admit to using Velveeta occasionally.  Velveeta on a burger is pretty damn good
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I can see wiz tasting ok when combined with the other ingredients but yeah....I would opt for American.  That's the perfect cheese for a cheesesteak in my opinion.

As much as I knock wiz I have to admit to using Velveeta occasionally.  Velveeta on a burger is pretty damn good

When I use a killer recipe I saw on TV for mac n chee one of the 7 cheeses is actually Velveeta.  Was the first time I had used in a recipe and overall it was amazing.  This is "special occasion" mac n chee as it costs a fuckton to go and buy all of that cheese for what is essentially a side dish.

Cannot recall having on a steak but I am sure it would be amazing at 3 AM/hammered.