I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

Purple Ten and Silver Nirvana. I had neither of these on vinyl in any format. I have one more coming - I preordered White Stripes Greatest Hits. Then I really need to stop for a while - so I say 😚
    The Nirvana sounds GREAT, they're a repress of the same plates that I have on my 2010 ORG blue vinyl pressing. So, yours should sound just as good. If you know what to look for, you can get some REALLY good pressings as represses.

If you happen to get a repress of the Kevin Gray Rumours cut, you hit the jackpot with those records.
    How can I tell if it is a repress of the Kevin Gray. The one I have says 2009 Germany. Does that give you any information?

I would need the runout information (the engravings on the inside dead wax) to be able to tell.
    It’s too hard to read. Is there something particular to look for. Maybe I could make it out. 
    Look at the bar code.  The KPG one is this.  
    • Barcode (Text): 0 9362-49793-5 7
    • Barcode (String & Scanned): 093624979357
    The second one (string and scanned) is on the bottom right of the back of the jacket.  And the KPG one is the one to own.  It's so deep, rich and full. 

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

Purple Ten and Silver Nirvana. I had neither of these on vinyl in any format. I have one more coming - I preordered White Stripes Greatest Hits. Then I really need to stop for a while - so I say 😚
    The Nirvana sounds GREAT, they're a repress of the same plates that I have on my 2010 ORG blue vinyl pressing. So, yours should sound just as good. If you know what to look for, you can get some REALLY good pressings as represses.

If you happen to get a repress of the Kevin Gray Rumours cut, you hit the jackpot with those records.
    How can I tell if it is a repress of the Kevin Gray. The one I have says 2009 Germany. Does that give you any information?

I would need the runout information (the engravings on the inside dead wax) to be able to tell.
    It’s too hard to read. Is there something particular to look for. Maybe I could make it out. 

rabbit hole opening........
    lol
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

KPG&SH@ATM would need to be etched
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    It's a trap!!!!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

I’m getting cross eyed looking at it but I think that is what it says. I also have the bar code. Here is the best I could do with a photo 

GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

I’m getting cross eyed looking at it but I think that is what it says. I also have the bar code. Here is the best I could do with a photo 

BOOM! That's it. Congrats, that Nirvana and Fleetwood Mac, are top notch pressings.
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

BOOM! That's it. Congrats, that Nirvana and Fleetwood Mac, are top notch pressings.
    Cool. Thanks. One day when I get time I am going to research this more. It might be fun to learn more about some of my records. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,419
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

Cool. Thanks. One day when I get time I am going to research this more. It might be fun to learn more about some of my records. 

discogs.com

black hole has you enveloped......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

discogs.com

@glowgirl You should start cataloging your records on Discogs.  It's a great resource to know what you have and good for insurance purposes too.  Start before your collection gets too large and becomes overwhelming. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited December 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

discogs.com

@glowgirl You should start cataloging your records on Discogs.  It's a great resource to know what you have and good for insurance purposes too.  Start before your collection gets too large and becomes overwhelming. 
    I agree with this endorsement.

With some of your older records, it might be hard to find one with your exact runout information. And you might be sick of going cross-eyed trying to make it out to match it up. In those cases, I usually just pick the version with the runout information that comes closest to what’s on mine. But that’s because I’m just trying to make sure that I don’t buy another version of a record that I already own (at least not one that I don’t want to buy). Also, it’s nice just to have as a backup on my phone to see what’s in my collection, which is good since my records are all over the house now and some of them slip behind on the shelves without stops.

Anyway, if you’re feeling ambitious, the other thing you can do is contribute your version. I’ve done this with one record, and I think other people wound up having it (so I wasn’t missing it or making it up). In that case, it was a newer release, though. I just assume some margin of error/flubbing on the older releases. But who knows? Maybe you’ll become an expert who can identify when, where and by whom a record was pressed based on the runout information.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

discogs.com

With some of your older records, it might be hard to find one with your exact runout information. And you might be sick of going cross-eyed trying to make it out to match it up. In those cases, I usually just pick the version with the runout information that comes closest to what’s on mine. But that’s because I’m just trying to make sure that I don’t buy another version of a record that I already own (at least not one that I don’t want to buy). Also, it’s nice just to have as a backup on my phone to see what’s in my collection, which is good since my records are all over the house now and some of them slip behind on the shelves without stops.

Anyway, if you’re feeling ambitious, the other thing you can do is contribute your version. I’ve done this with one record, and I think other people wound up having it (so I wasn’t missing it or making it up). In that case, it was a newer release, though. I just assume some margin of error/flubbing on the older releases. But who knows? Maybe you’ll become an expert who can identify when, where and by whom a record was pressed based on the runout information.
    Thanks for the info. I am actually having fun learning about this stuff. I think I will give discogs a try. I need a new project now that my social life is on a pandemic standstill. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

discogs.com

Thanks. I think I will do this. It will be a good winter pandemic project. 
    GlowGirl said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

discogs.com

You'll enjoy it. It brings a whole other side to collecting. Plus as has been said, the larger your collection gets the easier it is for you to check at stores if you already have a record. I've used Discogs MANY times on my phone at a store to help me remember if I have a certain version.
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

discogs.com

You'll enjoy it. It brings a whole other side to collecting. Plus as has been said, the larger your collection gets the easier it is for you to check at stores if you already have a record. I've used Discogs MANY times on my phone at a store to help me remember if I have a certain version.
    I do that all the time.  People probably think I'm a lunatic as I'm holding a record up to a light and then doing a search on my phone about pressing quality and whether I have it. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:

discogs.com

Thanks for the info. I am actually having fun learning about this stuff. I think I will give discogs a try. I need a new project now that my social life is on a pandemic standstill. 
    yeah, after xmas I plan on finishing cataloguing my stuff on discogs as well. it can be time consuming, so no better time than now. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

C'mon @GlowGirl, buy some more records so I can try and figure out what pressings you have..lol

I currently have a lot in transit, money was burning a hole in my pocket over the holiday.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    edited December 2020

My pick-ups over the past month:
    Boston - S/T (blue vinyl repress)
    Coltrane - Ballads (Acoustic Sound Series)
    Grant Green - Alive (Blue Note 80 Series)
    Taylor Swift - Folklore (Red Vinyl)
    Pearl Jam - Ten (Purple Vinyl)
    Drive By Truckers - The Dirty South (Clear/Blue Splatter repress)
    The War on Drugs - Live Drugs (gold vinyl, Newbury release)

The War on Drugs album is awesome. Also Boston S/T is one of the greatest records ever recorded in human history. Do not attempt to tell me otherwise.

The first two Boston records are so great!  I know at one point it became "un-hip" to like Boston, but not for me.  I've always thought those two records are killer!

And John Coltrane Ballads is such a great record!  I love that Trane proved to some doubting listeners that he could do more that blow holes through the stratosphere by making this records of ballads which I also love about his playing).  It really is one of his great records because as Donald Byrd said about the man's playing (quoted in the fine liner notes), "After all these years of playing, I've come to the conclusion that one of the most difficult things to do is play a melody straight and play it well, with good tome and feeling."  This album is rich in great tone and feeling!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

My pick-ups over the past month:
    Boston - S/T (blue vinyl repress)
    Coltrane - Ballads (Acoustic Sound Series)
    Grant Green - Alive (Blue Note 80 Series)
    Taylor Swift - Folklore (Red Vinyl)
    Pearl Jam - Ten (Purple Vinyl)
    Drive By Truckers - The Dirty South (Clear/Blue Splatter repress)
    The War on Drugs - Live Drugs (gold vinyl, Newbury release)

The War on Drugs album is awesome. Also Boston S/T is one of the greatest records ever recorded in human history. Do not attempt to tell me otherwise.

The first two Boston records are so great!  I know at one point it became "un-hip" to like Boston, but not for me.  I've always thought those two records are killer!

And John Coltrane Ballads is such a great record!  I love that Trane proved to some doubting listeners that he could do more that blow holes through the stratosphere by making this records of ballads which I also love about his playing).  It really is one of his great records because as Donald Byrd said about the man's playing (quoted in the fine liner notes), "After all these years of playing, I've come to the conclusion that one of the most difficult things to do is play a melody straight and play it well, with good tome and feeling."  This album is rich in great tone and feeling!
    I love Ballads and Lush Life.  Coltrane is no one trick,  hard bop pony.

I could never get into Bitches. I need to go back to it 
    MedozK said:
    C'mon @GlowGirl, buy some more records so I can try and figure out what pressings you have..lol

I currently have a lot in transit, money was burning a hole in my pocket over the holiday.
    If you want, we can do some of my old records :)

edited December 2020
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:

What ever you want to listen to, lol. I really enjoy the whole process of figuring out exactly what pressing one has. My OCD with that is what got me so deep on Discogs.
  • halvhalv Posts: 675
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:

What ever you want to listen to, lol. I really enjoy the whole process of figuring out exactly what pressing one has. My OCD with that is what got me so deep on Discogs.
    I try not to buy an album without checking reviews on Discogs first. That site has saved me from purchasing a lot of badly pressed records in the past. And just started cataloging my collection on Discogs this week. Nerdy vinyl fun. 
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    Just dropped coin on the new McCartney III - yellow vinyl pressing of it sent out in the Beatles list....
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:

MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:

I was listening to Led Zep II today. The etchings are actually easy to read in that one. One says SLM (triangle symbol) 1977. Is that any good?

GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:

MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:

I was listening to Led Zep II today. The etchings are actually easy to read in that one. One says SLM (triangle symbol) 1977. Is that any good?

Trick question.... there are NO bad Zep II  B)
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:

MedozK said:
    GlowGirl said:
    MedozK said:

Trick question.... there are NO bad Zep II  B)
    Agreed. It is an awesome album.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Picked this up today.  3 record set of the greatest Bob Dylan live album of all time.   There is more crispness than the original cd pressing.  This has been on constant rotation for me since it came out in 03(?) nice to have it on vinyl and sounding soooooo good.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    Picked this up today.  3 record set of the greatest Bob Dylan live album of all time.   There is more crispness than the original cd pressing.  This has been on constant rotation for me since it came out in 03(?) nice to have it on vinyl and sounding soooooo good.
    Did you ever get your WF box?
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    static111 said:
    I love this set, a lot. Bob was on fire during this run of shows. I’m sure you’ve seen the documentary which is great as well. If not do so.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Did you ever get your WF box?
    Hopefully that will be my Xmas present from my wife.   The hints have been laid for months.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden