Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Good luck to both of you. I hope to hear all about the marathons. Even though you guys won't have the crowds cheering, I will be cheering you on from afar.
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:
    20 miles today, almost finished training for what is now a virtual marathon on dec 6th. still a medal, goody bag and a PB (PR) to go for despite the strange times!
    Nice!  The one I am doing next Sunday was cancelled completely.  No medal or goody bag
    ...but I am doing it myself.  
    thats a shame, I was really glad to have the virtual option to keep the motivation levels up, although to be honest right now running for sanity is as good as any reason to run.

Hope it's a good run for you, I did my own in the spring during first lockdown... the last 6 miles without the event excitement was hell 😂
    Yeah about what I am expecting...not having other people and crowds cheering will make it a bit more challenging.  
    Good luck with your marathon run tomorrow. I will be rooting for you. Post here when you are done to let us know how it was. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Thank you, M.  Appreciate the support!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Well, first marathon in the books.  Was pretty tough.  My legs held out pretty well but my back was freaking out most of the time, which was lovely, and my ankle enjoyed it thoroughly.
    Next time will be better but it is always a PR the first time and I would have laughed two years ago if someone told me I would do all these different races and even run 26.2 miles in a marathon that I had to do solo.  

Goes to show that anyone can do it.  I played three sports in high school but wasn't great at any of them.  Not particularly active in the years since, although I did play some club stuff in college for fun.  When I put on shoes and started a 66 day challenge in Feb 2019 I swore that on day 67 I would be done with running.

Guess not!  

Good for the soul.
    Well, first marathon in the books.  Was pretty tough.  My legs held out pretty well but my back was freaking out most of the time, which was lovely, and my ankle enjoyed it thoroughly.
    Next time will be better but it is always a PR the first time and I would have laughed two years ago if someone told me I would do all these different races and even run 26.2 miles in a marathon that I had to do solo.  

Goes to show that anyone can do it.  I played three sports in high school but wasn't great at any of them.  Not particularly active in the years since, although I did play some club stuff in college for fun.  When I put on shoes and started a 66 day challenge in Feb 2019 I swore that on day 67 I would be done with running.

Guess not!  

Good for the soul.
    :joy:  Congrats. That is so awesome. I am sorry your back was hurting. But you did it!!! That is very inspiring. You should be so proud of yourself. That is quite a goal you achieved 👏👏👏. Make sure to treat yourself today. 
    GlowGirl said:

Guess not!  

Good for the soul.
    :joy:  Congrats. That is so awesome. I am sorry your back was hurting. But you did it!!! That is very inspiring. You should be so proud of yourself. That is quite a goal you achieved 👏👏👏. Make sure to treat yourself today. 
    Thanks.  I appreciate all of your encouraging words along the way, this thread is fun.
    My treat is laying on the couch all day (which is about all my body is good for today) and watching football.  That is a great day, though, I fully intend to enjoy it!
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450

Guess not!  

Good for the soul.
    Great job! I have run one half, but I am not sure if I will ever attempt to do a full. I don't know if I am dedicated enough to do the training required. 

Guess not!  

Good for the soul.
    Great job! I have run one half, but I am not sure if I will ever attempt to do a full. I don't know if I am dedicated enough to do the training required. 
    You can do it....but yes, the training takes some time.
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 635
    edited November 2020

Guess not!  

Good for the soul.
    well done! Some effort dragging your lonely self around 26.2 miles! in a short time all the pain will be forgotten and you will be lookong for the next one! (theyre always horrible though 😉) 👏👏👏

finished training for mine which is on dec 6th. I have a few under my belt but Im really pushing for sub 3h30m. I turn 41 this week and not getting any quicker so its all or nothing 😂. 

So glad to stumble on this thread. The only thing better than running is talking about it.... constantly!
    beano.79 said:

Guess not!  

Good for the soul.
    well done! Some effort dragging your lonely self around 26.2 miles! in a short time all the pain will be forgotten and you will be lookong for the next one! (theyre always horrible though 😉) 👏👏👏

finished training for mine which is on dec 6th. I have a few under my belt but Im really pushing for sub 3h30m. I turn 41 this week and not getting any quicker so its all or nothing 😂. 

So glad to stumble on this thread. The only thing better than running is talking about it.... constantly!
    Thanks and good luck on the 6th - that is a tough goal but it sounds like you prepared and are ready.
  • beano.79beano.79 Posts: 635
    beano.79 said:

Guess not!  

Good for the soul.

Thanks and good luck on the 6th - that is a tough goal but it sounds like you prepared and are ready.
    Training has gone really well. I'm not sure I quite have it in me but  I'm sure this is my last attempt at a PB at marathon distance so I eill just go for it. Im really starting to enjoy the ultra/trail running side of things. As strange as it sounds, doing the longer distances is much more relaxed and enjoyable.
    beano.79 said:

Guess not!  

Good for the soul.

Good luck. I hope you reach your goal. That is a good one. My friends are sick of me talking about running, so this thread is great for that. I have also gotten so many excellent tips about all kinds of things here as well. Let us know how it went.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Nice job Brett!!! Congrats on a huge accomplishment.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Thanks!
    Well, I took a big face plant today while running. I was running on this short patch of dirt path along the East River when my foot hit a stick. I knew I was going down before I even hit the ground. Luckily I didn’t twist an ankle or injure my legs in any way. But my left elbow was scraped to hell and bleeding and my right forearm had a rug burn type scrape. Not bleeding but hurts. I had a paper towel in my running pack and my water bottle so I wiped off the dirt and blood the best I could. I was already more than halfway through the run so since I didn’t hurt my legs I finished running. I had to stop occasionally to squirt water on the blood. I guess it was better to fall on dirt than on the concrete. When I got home I really cleaned it up and put on Neosporin and a bandage. It was more embarrassing  then anything. I guess it could have been worse ☺️
    Sorry to hear you crashed but am glad you are ok....and yes much better not to crash on pavement.  I have a nice scar on my knee from my August wipeout.  
    (And went to the radiologist today to get x-rays on my ankle and foot, finally, from the wipeout.)

Did anyone see you fall?  Try to help you?

Glad you are ok and finished your run.  :)

Sorry to hear you crashed but am glad you are ok....and yes much better not to crash on pavement.  I have a nice scar on my knee from my August wipeout.  
    (And went to the radiologist today to get x-rays on my ankle and foot, finally, from the wipeout.)

What did the X-rays show? Hope it is all healed. 

At least one guy saw me fall. He was also running. Once I stood up and assessed that nothing was broken or sprained and that I didn’t require stitches, I told him I was ok and he could go. But he was nice to stop. That was my first running wipeout. Hope it was also the last. 
    GlowGirl said:

At least one guy saw me fall. He was also running. Once I stood up and assessed that nothing was broken or sprained and that I didn’t require stitches, I told him I was ok and he could go. But he was nice to stop. That was my first running wipeout. Hope it was also the last. 
    Glad someone stopped.  When I ate shit the last time a guy walked right past me.  Pretended not to see me.  My neighbor saw me as I hobbled home, blood running down my leg, and waved at me.  (I was a few hundred feet from my driveway so I'm sure she assumed I was good.  At least she looked concerned, lol)

I wiped out a few times last year, also.  It is easy to hit a root or bump or something if you space out.  

Still picking the Ortho I am going to visit so I won't know until I book with one and have the pictures sent to them.  My doc wrote a scrip for an MRI on the ankle, as well, but of course my insurance denied so first step will be looking at the x-rays to see if there is anything actually fucked up.
    Haven't run in 6 days.  At some point I want to get back out there - the ultra isn't going to train itself.  ;)

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    GlowGirl said:
    Well, I took a big face plant today while running. I was running on this short patch of dirt path along the East River when my foot hit a stick. I knew I was going down before I even hit the ground. Luckily I didn’t twist an ankle or injure my legs in any way. But my left elbow was scraped to hell and bleeding and my right forearm had a rug burn type scrape. Not bleeding but hurts. I had a paper towel in my running pack and my water bottle so I wiped off the dirt and blood the best I could. I was already more than halfway through the run so since I didn’t hurt my legs I finished running. I had to stop occasionally to squirt water on the blood. I guess it was better to fall on dirt than on the concrete. When I got home I really cleaned it up and put on Neosporin and a bandage. It was more embarrassing  then anything. I guess it could have been worse ☺️
    Damn! I’m glad no major harm done. 

I ran yesterday and in many places the sidewalks were covered in wet fallen leaves, which I was worried would be slippery. My favourite route also has a section on an old wooden boardwalk, which I knew would be slippery from the rain. I was pretty tentative in those areas - I probably looked ridiculous, mincing along :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    GlowGirl said:

Glad someone stopped.  When I ate shit the last time a guy walked right past me.  Pretended not to see me.  My neighbor saw me as I hobbled home, blood running down my leg, and waved at me.  (I was a few hundred feet from my driveway so I'm sure she assumed I was good.  At least she looked concerned, lol)

I wiped out a few times last year, also.  It is easy to hit a root or bump or something if you space out.  

Still picking the Ortho I am going to visit so I won't know until I book with one and have the pictures sent to them.  My doc wrote a scrip for an MRI on the ankle, as well, but of course my insurance denied so first step will be looking at the x-rays to see if there is anything actually fucked up.
    Haven't run in 6 days.  At some point I want to get back out there - the ultra isn't going to train itself.  ;)

That sucks that someone walked right by you when you fell. Some people have no compassion. You had a big run last weekend so taking some time off is probably good, especially since you said your back was bothering you during that run. Hopefully, the ortho you go to will have good information about what is going on with your ankle and can start taking steps to further heal it.
    GlowGirl said:
    Damn! I’m glad no major harm done. 

I ran yesterday and in many places the sidewalks were covered in wet fallen leaves, which I was worried would be slippery. My favourite route also has a section on an old wooden boardwalk, which I knew would be slippery from the rain. I was pretty tentative in those areas - I probably looked ridiculous, mincing along :lol: 
    Wet leaves concern me as well. There is a little bridge on my route that is made of a metal grid. I usually shuffle really slow across it. It is slippery. The last few times I have just walked across. It takes about 30 seconds and gives me a moment to catch my breath. Better safe than sorry in those situations. 
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

That sucks that someone walked right by you when you fell. Some people have no compassion. You had a big run last weekend so taking some time off is probably good, especially since you said your back was bothering you during that run. Hopefully, the ortho you go to will have good information about what is going on with your ankle and can start taking steps to further heal it.

Your post reminded me - F Me, you mentioned your sore back. Do you do any specific core work in your training? If not, you might want to look into adding some. I do a total of 6 minutes a day of core work, 2 minutes each of 3 different exercises. It's made a big difference in my core strength and I haven't had back pain in ages. 
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

Your post reminded me - F Me, you mentioned your sore back. Do you do any specific core work in your training? If not, you might want to look into adding some. I do a total of 6 minutes a day of core work, 2 minutes each of 3 different exercises. It's made a big difference in my core strength and I haven't had back pain in ages.

I've a long history of back issues and the best it has been in 20 years has been this past year.  Running helped tremendously.
    No core work but I think that is always a good thing to work on.
    Not sure what happened last week but I woke up one morning with muscles freaking out.  Just a case of bad timing I guess.
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

What exercises do you do? I have been doing yoga for 9 years which is great for core. Since the pandemic my yoga studio has been closed down. I try to do the online zoom yoga here and there. But it’s not the same. Right now I have been doing 2 minute planks several times a week. But what suggestions do you have? 
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

What exercises do you do? I have been doing yoga for 9 years which is great for core. Since the pandemic my yoga studio has been closed down. I try to do the online zoom yoga here and there. But it’s not the same. Right now I have been doing 2 minute planks several times a week. But what suggestions do you have? 

I start with 2+ minutes of low plank (on the forearms), then go up to full arm plank position and do 2+ minutes of mountain climbers, then roll over and do 2+ minutes of something that  has a name but I don't know it - lie on your back, bring both legs up and bend at the knee so that legs form a 90 degree angle with the lower legs parallel to the floor, then alternate legs, lowering your leg until your toe taps the floor and then back up to the 90 degree angle, while making sure that your lower and mid back stay glued to the floor and don't arch. Arms can be flat at your sides, or can be lifted up a few inches.
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

I start with 2+ minutes of low plank (on the forearms), then go up to full arm plank position and do 2+ minutes of mountain climbers, then roll over and do 2+ minutes of something that  has a name but I don't know it - lie on your back, bring both legs up and bend at the knee so that legs form a 90 degree angle with the lower legs parallel to the floor, then alternate legs, lowering your leg until your toe taps the floor and then back up to the 90 degree angle, while making sure that your lower and mid back stay glued to the floor and don't arch. Arms can be flat at your sides, or can be lifted up a few inches.
    Thanks. I have done those toe tap exercises before. They are great for your core. I am definitely going to try those. 
    Since it was pouring rain this morning I was forced to run on the treadmill at the gym. I was the only one on four rows of treadmills so no one was near me. That part was good. Oh but the mask. 5 miles with a mask was torturous. I used the Under Armour sports mask I got. It was likely better than any other mask I could have used. It was comfortable and didn’t suck in over my nose or mouth when I started breathing heavy. But still. It was really hot. It got soaked with sweat and by mile four I couldn’t stand breathing in the same hot air. The last mile with the wet mask was awful. My next running day is Wednesday and it is supposed to be sunny. So back outside thank goodness. Ok. Rant over. 
    At what point did you think it might be better to just be running in the rain?

How are your injuries?

How are your injuries?
    I don’t mind running in the rain. But this morning was pouring and windy. It was raining sideways. The first 2 miles on the treadmill were bearable. Then I couldn’t deal as much with the mask. When I do weight training the mask is totally fine. But running with it not so much. 

My scrapes are healing. Thanks for asking.  I did wake up yesterday to discover more bruising. A big one on my right knee and also left hipbone. But luckily nothing hurt while running. How is your foot?
    GlowGirl said:

How are your injuries?
    I don’t mind running in the rain. But this morning was pouring and windy. It was raining sideways. The first 2 miles on the treadmill were bearable. Then I couldn’t deal as much with the mask. When I do weight training the mask is totally fine. But running with it not so much. 

My scrapes are healing. Thanks for asking.  I did wake up yesterday to discover more bruising. A big one on my right knee and also left hipbone. But luckily nothing hurt while running. How is your foot?
    Funny how the next day can get ya!

Made a visit with the Ortho for Friday morning.  Will find out what they think about the ankle and foot then.