Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    Great news!  
    I'm happy for you all that you get to be together again.  
    The run sounds great as well.  What a treat to be able to run wlo a mask!

I haven't seen my mother, brother, not sister and their family members since Christmas 2019.  
    I don't live close enough to "distance visit" as we do with my wife's family.
    Seeing my mom is the first priority for me once I am vaccinated and the time period after is done.  

Running a virtual 5k tomorrow as part of my 45 min scheduled run.  Will try to run a decent time but I know I'll have to continue to the end of the 45 mins so I don't want to go too hard during the first 3.1 miles of my time.  Will be fun to try and push it, some, and also 45 mins will represent the longest time out there in a long time.  

It would be more fun to have a rabbit but I'll have to wait until races are going again and people are vaccinated before getting that chance. 
    I hope you get to see your family soon. My whole family (except for me) all live within 20 minutes of each other. So, while I am here I am also seeing my brother, sister, and all the nieces and nephews (with masks on). I had only been back here one time since Thanksgiving 2019. Usually, I am here about 4 times a year. 

Good luck with the 5k. I can’t believe how much progress you have made in the short time you have been back to running. Running the hills today was hard but somewhat satisfying. I am doing one more run here on Sunday and then heading back to NYC on Monday. 

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Hope the day is awesome for you today and tomorrow is a great run!

My watch tells me it was not a PR, but I have not run a 5k since I started running longer distances since they all cancelled last year.  It was a Race PR, which is what I was hoping for.  The pace was a bit behind a 5k I did which was actually 3.4 miles instead of 3.1 and so even though my time was longer on that, I was faster.  (And it had a big ass hill)

S'ok, I will take it where I can get it. 
    Was under 9 mins per mile, which is good for me.  
    Overall, the 45 mins was good to do.  Was much slower after I started the clock again to finish out the time post 5k, I had hoped to get to 5 miles and was a quarter short.  
    Still ...almost 5 miles ...45 mins.  Best work since November, I'll take it and enjoy some vodka tonight.  ;)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

My watch tells me it was not a PR, but I have not run a 5k since I started running longer distances since they all cancelled last year.  It was a Race PR, which is what I was hoping for.  The pace was a bit behind a 5k I did which was actually 3.4 miles instead of 3.1 and so even though my time was longer on that, I was faster.  (And it had a big ass hill)

Overall, the 45 mins was good to do.  Was much slower after I started the clock again to finish out the time post 5k, I had hoped to get to 5 miles and was a quarter short.  
    Still ...almost 5 miles ...45 mins.  Best work since November, I'll take it and enjoy some vodka tonight.  ;)

Excellent. Definitely have a drink tonight. Your time was great. Under 9 min per mile is something I could never do even without any injuries 😂. I am happy if my time hovers around 10:30 per mile. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    GlowGirl said:

Excellent. Definitely have a drink tonight. Your time was great. Under 9 min per mile is something I could never do even without any injuries 😂. I am happy if my time hovers around 10:30 per mile. 
    I won't have A drink.  ;).   A few, perhaps.  
    Will be interesting to see where my time slots.  I'm usually in the middle on these things....much slower than some, faster than others.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

Strong work. Enjoy the celebration.

I have stopped timing myself :lol: . Cowardly, perhaps, but it wasn't adding to my enjoyment of the process and I'm not looking to win any races (or at this point even enter any races, mostly because there aren't any). I just run, see how I feel, and try to push myself if it feels like I'm not doing what I could. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    That sounds good.  
    You know that I track everything so finding a way to gauge (distance/time) is key for me.  My brain fights the idea of not tracking things.  :lol:
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 662
    Happy Monday 🥴 sounds like you all had productive weekends! 

I did a last long run on Friday, I'm going to reduce the miles a little through April to make sure I'm fresh when the 100 miler training begins in may.

Also found this promo of the postponed event I am now doing next April... Very excited for this.. 100km over 2 days.

https://youtu.be/6mL6RT7vNbc
  • Options
    Dude, I just spent a bit of time on their site.  That is friggin' awesome.  I'm not a trail runner but that makes me want to be.  Would love to hear about this after you complete.
    Who knows, perhaps something to aim for. 

Went back to check the virtual logs for how people finished up this weekend.
    104/748
    67/283 M
    25/95 M 40-49

I was in top hundred until last night - which I thought was cool.  Never been in the top 100 of a race that lots of people participated in. 
    Still haven't!  :lol:       
    25/95 for my age/gender bracket isn't awful.  I know I am not fast but the competitor in me does kind of struggle with seeing that I could have been 15/95 if I just had been a minute faster.   (Of course, if I finished there, I would bitch that I could have been 9/95 if I had just been a minute faster than that.  :lol:)   

How these things go, I suppose.

One thing I question, however, is the honesty of the people submitting the results.  I have been in races pre-Covid where the top times were much faster, it was a "slow" field, so it is not that....it is 2 listings, in particular.
    Both with the same last name, finishers # 2 and #4 out of 748.

#2 is 12 years old, #4 is 10 years old.

I would expect most teenagers who run to whip my ass, I know my teen self would have, but a 10 year old?  Seems suspect.

They do have a spot for you to upload your GPS tracker but I don't think it was mandatory and it does not show on the results page. 
    I'm sure nobody gives 2 shits (I certainly don't, it was fun to time myself and post a result) but it made me question the results when a 10 year old is supposedly 7 minutes faster over 3.1 miles. 

• Options
    beano.79 said:

I did a last long run on Friday, I'm going to reduce the miles a little through April to make sure I'm fresh when the 100 miler training begins in may.

Also found this promo of the postponed event I am now doing next April... Very excited for this.. 100km over 2 days.

I watched the video. Wow. I wish I could do something like that. It looks amazing. I would probably spend most of it walking. Those rock climbs look pretty serious. What kinds of times to people post in those types of events. What are you aiming for?
  • Options
    Dude, I just spent a bit of time on their site.  That is friggin' awesome.  I'm not a trail runner but that makes me want to be.  Would love to hear about this after you complete.

104/748
    67/283 M
    25/95 M 40-49

I was in top hundred until last night - which I thought was cool.  Never been in the top 100 of a race that lots of people participated in. 
    25/95 for my age/gender bracket isn't awful.  I know I am not fast but the competitor in me does kind of struggle with seeing that I could have been 15/95 if I just had been a minute faster.   (Of course, if I finished there, I would bitch that I could have been 9/95 if I had just been a minute faster than that.  :lol:)   

One thing I question, however, is the honesty of the people submitting the results.  I have been in races pre-Covid where the top times were much faster, it was a "slow" field, so it is not that....it is 2 listings, in particular.

I would expect most teenagers who run to whip my ass, I know my teen self would have, but a 10 year old?  Seems suspect.

They do have a spot for you to upload your GPS tracker but I don't think it was mandatory and it does not show on the results page. 
    I'm sure nobody gives 2 shits (I certainly don't, it was fun to time myself and post a result) but it made me question the results when a 10 year old is supposedly 7 minutes faster over 3.1 miles. 

Great job!! Just keep reminding yourself that you had a pretty serious injury just a few months ago. I agree that the 10 year old sounds a bit suspect. But you never know. Once actual races come back and they give everyone the chip, you will get more honest times. But, for now having fun is the main point. 

I am heading back to NYC in a few hours so I saw the last of the hills yesterday - until I come back in a few months. I am actually sore from those damn inclines. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

104/748
    67/283 M
    25/95 M 40-49

Great job!! Just keep reminding yourself that you had a pretty serious injury just a few months ago. I agree that the 10 year old sounds a bit suspect. But you never know. Once actual races come back and they give everyone the chip, you will get more honest times. But, for now having fun is the main point. 

I am heading back to NYC in a few hours so I saw the last of the hills yesterday - until I come back in a few months. I am actually sore from those damn inclines. 

Being sore is good, right?  Got in a great workout.

And, thank you.
    This is just me being me -- I know my times are slow and I am not killing myself to be a fast runner.  Cannot escape the competitive nature of who I am, so I can embrace it and still be reasonable by just working to run fast-ER.  :lol:

Yesterday, our 6 year old brought out this rubix cube type of 2 player game where you slide the pieces around.  The same type of thing as the cube, only way easier since there are so many fewer options.  We played it some and I was easily beating him (he is 6, of course) and so I started setting a stopwatch on my phone and trying to do it faster.
    My wife comes down later and starts messing around with it while little guy was watching TV - as she started solving a puzzle by herself I popped the stopwatch down next to her.  She asked what I was doing.
    "If you are not timing yourself and trying to improve, I think it is pointless."
    She called me a fool.
    This, of course, is true. 

Doesn't change how I feel about things.  ;)

• Options
    (And....we did play against one another.  I won't say who won.)
    :innocent: 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

I watched the video. Wow. I wish I could do something like that. It looks amazing. I would probably spend most of it walking. Those rock climbs look pretty serious. What kinds of times to people post in those types of events. What are you aiming for?
    The pace will vary so much over the course I really have no time goals in this one. Running with a close friend and just looking forward To a great weekend running and camping. It's around 30 miles each day and I believe there is a 9hr cut off for both days.

We have already trained for it 1.5 times so will be great to finally do it next spring 😂
  • Options

104/748
    67/283 M
    25/95 M 40-49

7 mins over 5k is a big gap and I doubt this is honest/accurately recorded. I would say you can quite comfortably, and with no guilt... Bump your placing up 2 spaces 😁👍

• Options
    beano.79 said:

104/748
    67/283 M
    25/95 M 40-49

7 mins over 5k is a big gap and I doubt this is honest/accurately recorded. I would say you can quite comfortably, and with no guilt... Bump your placing up 2 spaces 😁👍

:lol:   

• Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    beano.79 said:

Holy shit. That looks like tons of fun.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

Pics from my run this morning. I am so lucky to live in this beautiful city. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Wow, that is pretty great.  What a way to start the day!
  • Options

Pics from my run this morning. I am so lucky to live in this beautiful city. 
    Beautiful. Must be very motivating.

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,504
    In about 40 minutes I will be running a 5k for a local charity that provides clothes and school supplies for kids each Fall. After I am done running I am going to scoot over and become a course worker for the half marathon. It will be a little chilly and I haven’t been running as much as I should the last couple of months, so let the fun commence! 😀
  • Options
    Good luck and great going helping out!
    Let us know how it goes 
    No in person races here, yet.  Can't wait to have them again.
  • Options
    Let us know how it goes 
    It was slow!🤣 Not too bad, it felt good to get back on the horse so to speak. 
  • Options
    Let us know how it goes 
    Nice. Slow is ok. At least you got back out there. As long as you had fun. 
  • Options
    Let us know how it goes 
    Great!

What was the top time, do you know?

I was steady today but it was nice and hot by the end.  9.31 average but never out of 9s.  
    Still not beyond 5 miles but will get there soon in my next bump up.
  • Options
    Let us know how it goes 
    Great!

What was the top time, do you know?

I was steady today but it was nice and hot by the end.  9.31 average but never out of 9s.  
    Still not beyond 5 miles but will get there soon in my next bump up.
    Not sure about the top time for the 5k because I left to go work on the half course as soon as I finished.  I think the top time in the half was somewhere around 1:20. My pace on the 5k was right around 10. My goal is to back down below 9. At one point before I had a couple of hernia surgeries and got lazy, I was consistently in the lower 8’s. 
  • Options
    That is almost an hour faster than my half times.  :lol:

• Options
    Lower 8s are when I am busting my nuts.  No way I could sustain that, at least not yet.  
    I was fast as a kid but I never ran any distances.  
    Old and slow, now.

Interviewed a young lady last week for a marketing position with us and she told me she ran a 6 flat as her PR. 
    I laughed.  

• Options
    Lower 8s are when I am busting my nuts.  No way I could sustain that, at least not yet.  
    I was fast as a kid but I never ran any distances.  
    Old and slow, now.

Interviewed a young lady last week for a marketing position with us and she told me she ran a 6 flat as her PR. 
    I laughed.  

I have run one half and my time was 2:02. I would have to do some work to do that again. I couldn’t even imagine a 6 minute mile pace.
  • Options
    Interesting fact. Zach Bitter from Arizona holds the 100 mile world record. THAT'S AN AVG PACE OF 6.48!!! 😅 for 100 miles!! 😂😂 wtf
  • Options
    100 miles at 648?
    That is fucking ridiculous!
    The guy must be an animal.