Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Wear a mask!
    :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    That is pretty cold.  Luckily it doesn't get that cold here very often.  
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    Glad to see everyone is doing well and going strong. I went out of town for a week and fell off the wagon. Lol Been eating like shit too so when I decide to hop back on, it's gonna be real fun and feel mighty great... not.
  • Options
    Never been a better time than tomorrow to turn it back on.  Good luck!
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    Lol. Yea. Hate excuses but the weather was shit the whole time I was away so despite packing enough gear to run for at least 5 of the 7 days, I was only able to run once. Then I got home and I was just on fuck it mode and got sick because kids are nasty and love coughing in your face. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,838
    Got outside today. It was awesome. Sunshine. Temp was around 50F. Perfect.
  • Options
    Yeah, I ran this AM and it was in 30s.  In the afternoon it was in 60s!
    How is your neck feeling?
    All good?

• Options
    Yeah, I ran this AM and it was in 30s.  In the afternoon it was in 60s!
    How is your neck feeling?
    All good?

In a few months I will have to get out there earlier as well to beat the heat. I don’t think I am as much an early bird as you are. My neck is better, thanks. It almost feels 100%. How is your foot?
  • Options
    That is great.
    PT told me tonight I am ready to pick it up.  We discussed the program, I just need to chart it out.  More every week, which is what I wanted.  4 days running over week, 1 day cross, 2 days off....which is what I wanted.
    Upward and onward!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    That is great.
    PT told me tonight I am ready to pick it up.  We discussed the program, I just need to chart it out.  More every week, which is what I wanted.  4 days running over week, 1 day cross, 2 days off....which is what I wanted.
    Upward and onward!
    Onward and upward!!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Indeed!
  • Options
    That is great.
    Upward and onward!
    Excellent!!!
  • Options
    I saw this article yesterday about exercising in very cold weather and how it affects the lungs (in this case, skiing, but it applies to running as well). I was going to post it, then forgot, but the discussion today reminded me.

Why winter exercise can be especially hard on the lungs

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winter-exercise-lungs-1.5936703

A little light bulb went off for. I lived in Ottawa for 7 years and my asthma was terrible for several years there. I could never find any real triggers and it got so much better when I moved back to BC. I think that it was getting irritated in the winter, because I was active outside, and never really completely settled in the summer before ramping up again in the winter.

@oftenreading That is enough information for me to stick to my decision not to run in the winter. I have asthma too so this could be dangerous.  I'm quite happy to walk the dog and stay home in the warm drinking baileys til things brighten up a bit.  
  • Options
    Ran a different route today, had some small hill action.  Felt good to suck some wind.  :lol:. Speed was good but I did have to walk for two brief periods of about ten seconds each and slow it down a bit.

Next week I start a program we worked up - think I will do for a few months and should be back to running around 90 minute segments by then.  
    Excited for it.  How it works out will give me a good idea for the rest of the year.

Do have to say that I both love and hate the FreshFoams.  Really love the way they feel on the bottom of my feet but hate the laces (even after taking out and re-lacing) and how snug the tops fit.  I already order 2E shoes but with my ankle brace on my right foot it almost feels like I should have a double wide for that one.  Once I am running it doesn't really bother me but will be curious on long runs if it does.  Used to the way the Ghosts fit so the tighter FreshFoams just feel differently.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Ran a different route today, had some small hill action.  Felt good to suck some wind.  :lol:. Speed was good but I did have to walk for two brief periods of about ten seconds each and slow it down a bit.

Next week I start a program we worked up - think I will do for a few months and should be back to running around 90 minute segments by then.  
    Excited for it.  How it works out will give me a good idea for the rest of the year.

Do have to say that I both love and hate the FreshFoams.  Really love the way they feel on the bottom of my feet but hate the laces (even after taking out and re-lacing) and how snug the tops fit.  I already order 2E shoes but with my ankle brace on my right foot it almost feels like I should have a double wide for that one.  Once I am running it doesn't really bother me but will be curious on long runs if it does.  Used to the way the Ghosts fit so the tighter FreshFoams just feel differently.

Sounds like to are doing great getting back into it. Hopefully, you will get used to the new shoes. I ran today as well. I am getting a bit tired of my route but it is the best one where I don’t have to be on the crowded sidewalks the whole time. Plus it is nice running along the river. But I am definitely sick of parts of it. I may need to find a way to mix it up a bit. The weather was great for running at least. 
  • Options
    Your view sounds like it is pretty cool, being along the river.  There are some great spots to run if I want to drive there and then run but I generally want to just run out from my house.
    Can't imagine running on crowded sidewalks.  Must be odd.  
    I expected to be colder than I was, glad you had great weather.  I was dressed for cold as it was 39 when I headed out but the sun was shining so I was sorry I dressed so warmly after a mile.  

• Options
    Your view sounds like it is pretty cool, being along the river.  There are some great spots to run if I want to drive there and then run but I generally want to just run out from my house.
    Can't imagine running on crowded sidewalks.  Must be odd.  
    I expected to be colder than I was, glad you had great weather.  I was dressed for cold as it was 39 when I headed out but the sun was shining so I was sorry I dressed so warmly after a mile.  

The river part of my run is great. I love the view. But that is only 1/2 the run. The other half is running to and from East River Park. Some of the sidewalks I run on are ok and are wide and not too crowded. There are a couple of Avenues where I run in the bike lane facing the traffic so if a bike comes I can scoot back up on the sidewalk. Maybe I just need to run some different streets up and back from the river. That may reenergize me. 

It was about 40 when I ran today. I wore long sleeves with a hoodie over it and ended up taking off the hoodie. The sunshine was awesome. 
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 640
    No long run, had the weekend off with the family, sitting on my arse eating 🥓🍳👍

A rest always does me good, back on it this week with training proper starting in a few weeks, all be it low mileage to start.
  • Options

How do the ghosts fair cushioning-wise against the fresh foam 1080's? I've always been curious about them and would like to try them one day, but good cushioning is a must for me.
  • Options
    FreshFoam for sure has more cushion and is lighter.  The ghosts have more heft throughout the shoe, although I never felt the cushion was too low.  Haven't been running long enough distances in them (FF) to really note the difference fully, I'm sure.

• Options
    What it looked like as I finished the run this morning.  🌅

• Options

👌 Great.
  • Options

That is beautiful. Nice reward for finishing your run. I never get out early enough to see that. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I didnt even notice until I pulled out the headphones and turned my watch off.  Looked up and went, whoa!  Walked around for a few minutes during cool down to enjoy it.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    I've continued slogging through my runs since I started back a couple of weeks ago. They're already becoming a bit easier.

The highlight today - a hummingbird buzzed up and hovered about 5 feet in front of my face and let me get to within a couple of feet before it zoomed off. I didn't want my little running buddy to leave.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    That would have been cool if the bird stayed with you for a while!
  • Options
    I've continued slogging through my runs since I started back a couple of weeks ago. They're already becoming a bit easier.

The highlight today - a hummingbird buzzed up and hovered about 5 feet in front of my face and let me get to within a couple of feet before it zoomed off. I didn't want my little running buddy to leave.
    I love hummingbirds. I never see them in NYC. That is so awesome you got so close to one. Glad the running is going well. 
  • Options
    I’m visiting my parents for the first time in a long time. They have both been fully vaccinated for over a month and I had a negative Covid test the day before I came here. I did a run in their neighborhood this morning. If you all remember my post from last time I was here there are fairly steep inclines all over their neighborhood. I can’t avoid them. So today was hard with the inclines but I did my usual 5 miles. It was really nice having different scenery though. Also, no mask was needed. I didn’t pass a single person on my run. When I run at home I still have to wear a mask at least around my chin so I can pull it up when I pass someone. But here my face and neck can feel the breeze. 

I am wearing a mask in their house though. Even though my parents have been vaccinated I haven’t had my turn yet. 
  • Options
    Great news!  
    I'm happy for you all that you get to be together again.  
    The run sounds great as well.  What a treat to be able to run wlo a mask!

I haven't seen my mother, brother, not sister and their family members since Christmas 2019.  
    I don't live close enough to "distance visit" as we do with my wife's family.
    Seeing my mom is the first priority for me once I am vaccinated and the time period after is done.  

Running a virtual 5k tomorrow as part of my 45 min scheduled run.  Will try to run a decent time but I know I'll have to continue to the end of the 45 mins so I don't want to go too hard during the first 3.1 miles of my time.  Will be fun to try and push it, some, and also 45 mins will represent the longest time out there in a long time.  

It would be more fun to have a rabbit but I'll have to wait until races are going again and people are vaccinated before getting that chance. 
  • Options
    Also....on the hills.  Last weekend, where we went hiking I finally found some major hills I can run around here.    For sure going to do that, soon.  Sure it will hurt but it'll be a fun change.