Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I will say that changing the speed to 45 would be easier on the Orbit as the belt is off to the side.  The Pro-ject is under the platter so you have to remove that.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Thanks again...I ordered the project...should have it tomorrow

It's nice that I can return the other one by just taking it to Kohl's.

I'm still baffled as to how both turntables would have the same issue...shit like that drives me insane
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Thanks again...I ordered the project...should have it tomorrow

It's nice that I can return the other one by just taking it to Kohl's.

I'm still baffled as to how both turntables would have the same issue...shit like that drives me insane
    It's possible that it's bad luck, but it's also possible something else is up.  With the Proj-ect, you will need to use your receivers MM phono port, so hopefully that's not the issue.  You will get a nice set of cables in the box.  I guess the one thing you said that makes me think it was the unit was that playing with the cartridge cleaned or changed things up.  So hopefully that's the case.  The debut is pretty easy on the setup, but I'd definitely watch a video on YouTube first.  Good luck and let us know how it goes. 
    edited October 2020
    If it doesn't work with the new TT I might just throw everything in the lake.  

But yeah I guess it is still possible that the left channel of the receiver phono input is fucked up.  
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited October 2020

But yeah I guess it is still possible that the left channel of the receiver phono input is fucked up.  
    Yeah, could just be a fuse in your receiver.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

but it's brand new....not saying that isn't it but it was straight out of the box

dankind said:

But he has the same problem on the aux in and the phono in, while not having the problem with cds or FM.  That seems very odd.  

But I agree, if hte Debut exhibits the same behavior, it's the receiver. 
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

But he has the same problem on the aux in and the phono in, while not having the problem with cds or FM.  That seems very odd.  

But I agree, if hte Debut exhibits the same behavior, it's the receiver. 
    you're right....I forgot about the aux in test.  I am so baffled I didn't even remember that

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited October 2020
    On the verge of updating my turntable, just started doing some research. I have begun to contemplate whether or not I am taking full advantage of audiophile pressings.  Why pay the very high price for top-notch vinyl, if the rig is not really bringing out the best.
    Post edited by MedozK on
    I'll let you know how the project TT is...should be getting it tomorrow

MedozK said:
    On the verge of updating my turntable, just started doing some research. I have begun to contemplate whether or not I am taking full advantage of audiophile pressings.  Why pay the very high price for top-notch vinyl, if the rig is not really bringing out the best.
    I can tell you that I heard a difference when I moved up to my new TT and a MC cart.  Of course it could always be placebo effect, but I don't think so.  
    MedozK said:
    On the verge of updating my turntable, just started doing some research. I have begun to contemplate whether or not I am taking full advantage of audiophile pressings.  Why pay the very high price for top-notch vinyl, if the rig is not really bringing out the best.d
    I will tell you this, since we have a lot of the same records.  When I first got the AP Nora Jones record, I had my old TT.  I thought the record sounded great, but that the vocals were a little forward and a tad hot.  When I upgraded, that was an album where I saw a huge improvement.  The record was much more refined and her vocals were just perfect.  I think for some records like the (in)famous Dark Side anniversary record or like the Nora Jones, you really see a difference on better equipment.  It can tame those records.  
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    On the verge of updating my turntable, just started doing some research. I have begun to contemplate whether or not I am taking full advantage of audiophile pressings.  Why pay the very high price for top-notch vinyl, if the rig is not really bringing out the best.d
    I will tell you this, since we have a lot of the same records.  When I first got the AP Nora Jones record, I had my old TT.  I thought the record sounded great, but that the vocals were a little forward and a tad hot.  When I upgraded, that was an album where I saw a huge improvement.  The record was much more refined and her vocals were just perfect.  I think for some records like the (in)famous Dark Side anniversary record or like the Nora Jones, you really see a difference on better equipment.  It can tame those records.  
    Thanks, yea. The Nora is a bit hot on mine right now also. I've kinda gravitated towards either Rega Planar 8, or VPI Prime... but again still researching... this will probably be my Christmas gift this year... so might catch a deal a little later this year.
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Thanks, yea. The Nora is a bit hot on mine right now also. I've kinda gravitated towards either Rega Planar 8, or VPI Prime... but again still researching... this will probably be my Christmas gift this year... so might catch a deal a little later this year.
    Both of those are great choices, just totally different aesthetics...classic vs industrial.  I went big too, so I would not think about it again until this one broke or something.  
    Got the new tt... Hooked it up and no sound at all. I was in total freak out mode and did one more check on the connection. I had plugged into the wrong input on the receiver. 

Sounds great. Thanks again 

Got the new tt... Hooked it up and no sound at all. I was in total freak out mode and did one more check on the connection. I had plugged into the wrong input on the receiver. 

Ha!  All right, you're finally in business.  Good deal.  Enjoy! 
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Both of those are great choices, just totally different aesthetics...classic vs industrial.  I went big too, so I would not think about it again until this one broke or something.  
    Did you set your VPI up yourself? ... looks like you can adjust these all kinda ways.
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    Did you set your VPI up yourself? ... looks like you can adjust these all kinda ways.
    I got it from Upscale Audio. They set it up and then disassemble into a few pieces and ship.  I checked the alignment and azimuth when it arrived and it was perfect.  Good experience. I talked to the guy that assembled a few times too. Great communication. 
  • Got the new tt... Hooked it up and no sound at all. I was in total freak out mode and did one more check on the connection. I had plugged into the wrong input on the receiver. 

Back in action.

Congrats!
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2020
    Just picked up a Parasound JC3. What a difference in sound!!!
    May 30th said:
    Just picked up a Parasound JC3. What a difference in sound!!!
    That's the phono amp?
    Yes
    May 30th said:
    Yes
    I've heard that's an awesome pre. Not cheap though. 
    I have a parasound 2 channel amp that's really nice.  Very neutral and smooth. 
    I got a family discount. Otherwise I’d never be able to afford it. Played some war on drugs and Brian Fallon and was blown away by the sound. Excited to play so much more stuff now 
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    After mounting it in that plinth, the turntable was hella buzzy initially. After I fiddled with the wiring in the tonearm, and gave the needle a little more downforce and it was stone quiet.

anything to distract...
    and YO  I just discovered headphone amplification.  Jesus.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited November 2020
    I'd like to know about Ed's new setup. 

I know theres some McIntosh gear. Can't remember what table he had. There was a glimpse of one briefly on his wife's IG. But that McIntosh stuff stands out because of its light color. 

Post edited by Tim Simmons on