Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• beano.79beano.79 Posts: 634
    just signed up for my first 100 miler in spetember  :s 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    beano.79 said:

Awesome....I want to do a 50 next year.  Have you done 50?  75?  How close have you been to 100?
    Which one are you running in?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    F Me In The Brain said:
    beano.79 said:

Awesome....I want to do a 50 next year.  Have you done 50?  75?  How close have you been to 100?
    the Robinhood100 in Nottingham. I ran a 100k race (62 miles) last year and it was an incredible experience! before that my longest races were marathons. I cant recommend ultra marathons enough if you love running and have the patience.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,693
    beano.79 said:
    F Me In The Brain said:
    beano.79 said:

the Robinhood100 in Nottingham. I ran a 100k race (62 miles) last year and it was an incredible experience! before that my longest races were marathons. I cant recommend ultra marathons enough if you love running and have the patience.
    That is incredible. Good luck. Keep us posted on your training. 
    I hope you all in the Northeast are enjoying this glorious running weather today. In NYC it is 65 and sunny. Unfortunately, I have to sit today out. I had minor surgery on my shoulder area on Thursday and was told no strenuous exercise for at least a week. This is when I can really feel that running is an addiction. During my normal running time this morning I got really antsy like my ex used to get when he needed a cigarette. I’m going to have to take a long walk today. At least I can do that. It’s only a week.....
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    GlowGirl said:
    I hope you all in the Northeast are enjoying this glorious running weather today. In NYC it is 65 and sunny. Unfortunately, I have to sit today out. I had minor surgery on my shoulder area on Thursday and was told no strenuous exercise for at least a week. This is when I can really feel that running is an addiction. During my normal running time this morning I got really antsy like my ex used to get when he needed a cigarette. I’m going to have to take a long walk today. At least I can do that. It’s only a week.....
    Damn! Those unwanted layoffs due to injury are frustrating, aren’t they. It’s good that it isn’t a foot injury, so you can get in a long walk.

Did your sports mask arrive? I’m curious but holding off on ordering until you let us know how it feels. I’d like a better mask for climbing. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited November 2020

I did get the mask. I got it for the treadmill and the weather has been such that I haven’t needed the treadmill since I got the mask. But I tried it on and it is really comfortable. I also took in some sharp inhales and the mask didn’t even come close to getting sucked in over my mouth. The structure held up. The lining is filled with some type of gel that is supposed to be cooling, but since I haven’t run in it yet I am not sure how cooling it is. But even if it gets hot  it is really comfortable and lets me breathe hard without the mask touching the skin around  my mouth. I will know more after the first time I get on the treadmill with it. But it seems like the best alternative if I have to wear a mask. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    beano.79 said:
    F Me In The Brain said:
    beano.79 said:

Wow!  Good luck with the training.
    GlowGirl said:
    Hope you are ready to go soon.

It was on 40s this morning, which was fine.  I was done by 730 and ready to enjoy the rest of the day.
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    F Me In The Brain said:
    beano.79 said:

thank you! Im hoping (covid restrictions) I still have a 2 day event in Scotland in april that will be part of the same training block, and then push on from there.

excited to stumble on a running post on this forum! 
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    F Me In The Brain said:
    beano.79 said:

thank you! Im hoping (covid restrictions) I still have a 2 day event in Scotland in april that will be part of the same training block, and then push on from there.

excited to stumble on a running post on this forum! 

Welcome, beano - we could sure use some more posters here! There is a small but dedicated group of runners... plus me ;)
    You are a climber / biker / runner.  Combo athletic person!
    GlowGirl said:
    Hope you are ready to go soon.

It was on 40s this morning, which was fine.  I was done by 730 and ready to enjoy the rest of the day.
    Sounds like you had a nice run. I took a 3 mile walk today. Will probably do the same tomorrow. I know by Wednesday I will be itching to run. I have a follow up with the doctor on Friday to make sure all is healing ok. I hope I get the ok to run next Saturday. My legs are fine. But I actually tried a jog in my apartment to see what it would feel like and the stepping down hard part did travel up to my shoulder area and caused pain on my incision so I guess I will follow doctors orders. 
    edited November 2020
    Had several jokes but will opt with - feel better soon, M.
    :)

Hike day with family.  I enjoy this.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    Had several jokes but will opt with - feel better soon, M.
    :)

Hike day with family.  I enjoy this.
    Thanks. When I re-read what I wrote I figured there were some jokes to be had 😄. 

Enjoy your hike. It’s the perfect weather for it. It is also perfect weather for brunch and a Bloody Mary, which is on my agenda. 

Brunch and bloody mary sounds like a great Sunday start.
  • Ill get ”real” shoes for the spring season. nor many nice days left here in Sweden. 

Ran twice this week. But only 3 and 4km. And I had to walk, hot tired very quickly. low energy. sleepy chaos. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    How is everyone doing with their running? My doctor gave me the go ahead to run so today I ran for the first time in 10 days. I still have some pain around the incision area when it gets jostled so I had to run a bit slower today. I also had to stop completely several times when it started hurting. Managed 5 difficult miles. But will try again Monday. The doctor said there was a bit more swelling on my shoulder than he expected so I have to go back next week for another look. But, basically he said it was healing well. 
    Glad you are healing up there, Miss M

Last run of any significant length this AM.....only 8 miles...prior to next weekend's marathon distance.

Shit, I have to run more than 3x that?

I don't feel ready at all....it seems that training for a year, and on a specific program since June won't be enough.
    Which is actually an exciting feeling.  
    I look forward to getting it done!

Last run of any significant length this AM.....only 8 miles...prior to next weekend's marathon distance.

I don't feel ready at all....it seems that training for a year, and on a specific program since June won't be enough.
    Thanks. You have been working really hard for that marathon distance. You are totally ready. I know all that training will pay off for you next week. Good luck. 
    GlowGirl said:

Thanks. You have been working really hard for that marathon distance. You are totally ready. I know all that training will pay off for you next week. Good luck. 
    Thanks.  I'm going to do it.  I like that I am feeling the way I am about that distance.  A good challenge is fun!
    GlowGirl said:

Thanks.  I'm going to do it.  I like that I am feeling the way I am about that distance.  A good challenge is fun!
    I know you’re going to do it. I have no doubt. You’d do it if you had to run on the bloody stumps of amputated feet (not that it will come to that :lol: )
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Anybody have good suggestions for Running watches?  I m tired of running with my iPhone in my hand lol.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Anybody have good suggestions for Running watches?  I m tired of running with my iPhone in my hand lol.  
    I don’t know about watches. But I also got tired of running with my phone in my hand. So I got a running pack that goes around my waist. It has room for my phone and my keys. It also came with a water bottle that I use all the time when I run. The pack uses Velcro to tighten around your waist. I can’t even feel it when I run. It completely stays in place. 
    GlowGirl said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I don’t know about watches. But I also got tired of running with my phone in my hand. So I got a running pack that goes around my waist. It has room for my phone and my keys. It also came with a water bottle that I use all the time when I run. The pack uses Velcro to tighten around your waist. I can’t even feel it when I run. It completely stays in place. 
    Polar M430.  Got me to ditch the Tag.
    GlowGirl said:

I know you’re going to do it. I have no doubt. You’d do it if you had to run on the bloody stumps of amputated feet (not that it will come to that :lol: )
    Yeah I thank you - and if that is what it comes to I will have a heck of a story!
    20 miles today, almost finished training for what is now a virtual marathon on dec 6th. still a medal, goody bag and a PB (PR) to go for despite the strange times!
    beano.79 said:
    20 miles today, almost finished training for what is now a virtual marathon on dec 6th. still a medal, goody bag and a PB (PR) to go for despite the strange times!
    Nice!  The one I am doing next Sunday was cancelled completely.  No medal or goody bag
    ...but I am doing it myself.  
    beano.79 said:
    Nice!  The one I am doing next Sunday was cancelled completely.  No medal or goody bag
    thats a shame, I was really glad to have the virtual option to keep the motivation levels up, although to be honest right now running for sanity is as good as any reason to run.

Hope it's a good run for you, I did my own in the spring during first lockdown... the last 6 miles without the event excitement was hell 😂
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:
    thats a shame, I was really glad to have the virtual option to keep the motivation levels up, although to be honest right now running for sanity is as good as any reason to run.

Hope it's a good run for you, I did my own in the spring during first lockdown... the last 6 miles without the event excitement was hell 😂
    Yeah about what I am expecting...not having other people and crowds cheering will make it a bit more challenging.