Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    New shoes felt fine....a bit slow the first half mile but then I picked up.
    Longest run in a long time @ thirty minutes.  
    My pace was good although I was winded as fuck the last half mile or so.  Pretty rare for me to get up to 180 on a normal run....
    Slowly.......in a few weeks maybe extend another ten minutes.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 666
    This morning I ran for the first time in about 2 months. I was busy with other forms of exercise ;) but today told myself I had to get back at it. Boy, did I suck. I did not bother to record it because I had a feeling it would be bad and I was right.

I had decided it wasn't a good idea to jump right back into my 10 km route so I cut back a bit and ran probably about 8 km. It felt like a slog most of the way, particularly the middle third. I had a strong headwind during that part when I was running by the ocean, which didn't help. But on the bright side, it wasn't raining, wasn't snowing, and wasn't cold, so that's a win. 

Maybe the next one will be better.

Best of luck to all of you on your weekend runs. 
    Remember this run. I weirdly make sure I remember the crappy ones. In the future when a race or run is really tough..it's good to think back as a reminder that you have felt this before and still completed the run.

We don't learn anything from a good run 😁😂
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    beano.79 said:
    This morning I ran for the first time in about 2 months. I was busy with other forms of exercise ;) but today told myself I had to get back at it. Boy, did I suck. I did not bother to record it because I had a feeling it would be bad and I was right.

I had decided it wasn't a good idea to jump right back into my 10 km route so I cut back a bit and ran probably about 8 km. It felt like a slog most of the way, particularly the middle third. I had a strong headwind during that part when I was running by the ocean, which didn't help. But on the bright side, it wasn't raining, wasn't snowing, and wasn't cold, so that's a win. 

Maybe the next one will be better.

Best of luck to all of you on your weekend runs. 
    Remember this run. I weirdly make sure I remember the crappy ones. In the future when a race or run is really tough..it's good to think back as a reminder that you have felt this before and still completed the run.

We don't learn anything from a good run 😁😂
    What have I learned from this run? 

I must either ensure I stay in the rhythm of regularly running, or give up running ;)

I am so stiff today it’s comical. Still, am heading out on my bike now so that will be good. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    I decided to run today after a week off. It was too cold to run outside so I endured the treadmill. Did my usual 5 miles. So far my neck feels ok, but I may throw some heat on it just in case. It is supposed to warm up this week. Can’t wait to get outside again. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Did you try anything different to remind you to keep your head up?
  • Options
    Did you try anything different to remind you to keep your head up?
    Yes. Besides being more conscious of my posture I also changed the view on the screen so that the info I wanted to see was on the top left corner, rather than the bottom right corner. So I didn’t have to look down as much. But I will know tomorrow by how my neck feels if I did better. 
  • Options
    Hopefully it worked!
  • Options
    🎶Sunday morning 🎶🥰

• Options
    beano.79 said:
    🎶Sunday morning 🎶🥰

Impressive. How do make up for all of those calories burned? When I first started running I actually got a bit too thin. Even now I have to work to keep my weight up. But you burn so many more calories than I do. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    🎶Sunday morning 🎶🥰

Impressive. How do make up for all of those calories burned? When I first started running I actually got a bit too thin. Even now I have to work to keep my weight up. But you burn so many more calories than I do. 
    That is not a problem I love food 😂 I would say I have a healthy varied diet but If I want something rubbish I have it. But I do enjoy pasta and rice dishes so that helps. But within reason I just eat what I like making sure I get plenty of fruit and veg. I generally don't eat alot of fast food so that's good, just when the family fancy a treat.

When I start the long run/walk training hours in the spring then I will start to lose more body fat due to longer workouts but lower intensity. I'll just eat more 🤷🏼‍♂️🥴🥓🍜

And just to add now I'm into my 40s the weight tends to stick around more 😂
    Post edited by beano.79 on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Nice pace, had to feel great.

Do you eat on longer runs?
    Anything over an hour, I normally eat during.  Might be 100 calories or a 150 calorie muir pack, but on those long runs 2-3-4 hours I cannot wait to replace calories   (every thirty minutes or so)
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options

Anything over an hour, I normally eat during.  Might be 100 calories or a 150 calorie muir pack, but on those long runs 2-3-4 hours I cannot wait to replace calories   (every thirty minutes or so)
    If marathon training I use gels on anything 90mins plus. But going into the ultra training I have just started to eat during to get my body used to it again as it's going to be almost the most important part of the 100 miler. I tend to carry varied snacks that cover salty and sugary.. alongside gels and maybe energy chews etc. But at the moment I'm not consuming much.. I'll start building it up and finding out what works.
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

If marathon training I use gels on anything 90mins plus. But going into the ultra training I have just started to eat during to get my body used to it again as it's going to be almost the most important part of the 100 miler. I tend to carry varied snacks that cover salty and sugary.. alongside gels and maybe energy chews etc. But at the moment I'm not consuming much.. I'll start building it up and finding out what works.
    You both are very inspiring. I don't have the eating problem during runs, since my longest runs are only an hour and 20 minutes or so. 2-3-4 hour runs - Yikes. How do those gel packs taste? I see them in the running store. I have always had a fast metabolism so I know if I did much longer runs I would get too thin. I am a bit older than both of you guys and I still have a fast metabolism for some reason.

• Options
    They have all different tasting ones.  Ones with caffeine as well.  I need that on longer runs but it can fuck with your stomach.
    I like sugar, so they taste fine to me.  ;)

• Options
    I find any flavour can get a little too much after a few! 😂 I use high five gels and the banana flavour seems less sickly to me. Definitely something you need to use over time to get used to otherwise🤮😃
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Knees and feet are too worn out for running any more, but we walk every day.  Today was our 107th consecutive day of walking.  We average 50 to 60 minutes, non-stop brisk walking.  I'm still a bit tired after most walks, especially when they involve hilly areas, but it sure feels good to do it every day!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    "feels like" said 18 degrees this AM.  Took until halfway through to warm up but felt good by the end.

Brian, that is great that you and your wife make time every day to walk together.  
  • Options
    "feels like" said 18 degrees this AM.  Took until halfway through to warm up but felt good by the end.

Brian, that is great that you and your wife make time every day to walk together.  
    Ouch that is cold.

How are you guys running in winter Vs summer? I suffer alot running in the heat
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

Ouch that is cold.

I grew up in VT and am pretty good at dealing with the cold.  Obviously there is the main issue of warming up, so need to go more slowly out of the gate....and I cave in and put on a proper hat and smartwool gloves when it is below freezing.  Normally take the gloves off after I warm up...but as long as I keep moving quickly then the sweat doesn't freeze (more than the very outer layer) and with all skin except for face covered things go fine.

It sounds like we are similar as far as suffering in the heat.  It can be very humid in NJ in the summer (not like the American South, but still can have days of consistently high humidity) and that gets me.  Keep the liquids flowing since I sweat like an animal when it is humid.  Had some issues with cramping when I first started running 10+ miles but figured that I needed sports drinks vs. just plain water, that made a big difference. 

How cold does it get where you are?

Normally we are on to warmer weather by now, I expect over the next week or two we will be back toward spring-like weather and running in light clothing/sweating like crazy, again.

• Options
    beano.79 said:

Ouch that is cold.

I grew up in VT and am pretty good at dealing with the cold.  Obviously there is the main issue of warming up, so need to go more slowly out of the gate....and I cave in and put on a proper hat and smartwool gloves when it is below freezing.  Normally take the gloves off after I warm up...but as long as I keep moving quickly then the sweat doesn't freeze (more than the very outer layer) and with all skin except for face covered things go fine.

It sounds like we are similar as far as suffering in the heat.  It can be very humid in NJ in the summer (not like the American South, but still can have days of consistently high humidity) and that gets me.  Keep the liquids flowing since I sweat like an animal when it is humid.  Had some issues with cramping when I first started running 10+ miles but figured that I needed sports drinks vs. just plain water, that made a big difference. 

How cold does it get where you are?

Normally we are on to warmer weather by now, I expect over the next week or two we will be back toward spring-like weather and running in light clothing/sweating like crazy, again.

Weather here just changes day to day. This year we have got down to -7c some evenings where some winters we might not hit 0c. 

When it's gets hot here say 30c it's just very very stuffy and humid it's unbearable. I'm OK to about 25c then I start to struggle. I much prefer winter running.

I ran a marathon in 27c a couple of years ago and all the training had been in very mild weather. It added 30 minutes to my time while all around me everyone else was loving it 🥴😂
  • Options
    That isn't considered hot here, although running a marathon in it would be hot, for sure.
    We have 90s with high 80 into 90% humidity when it is bad In the summer.  Extreme days can see 100 but not generally that hot 
  • Options
    That isn't considered hot here, although running a marathon in it would be hot, for sure.
    We have 90s with high 80 into 90% humidity when it is bad In the summer.  Extreme days can see 100 but not generally that hot 
    It's never cold or hot long enough to get used to here...we are all over the place and cannot handle anything 😂
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    beano.79 said:

Ouch that is cold.

Hydrate hydrate hydrate
    I used to freeze my 2/3s full Camelback overnight then fill the remainder with ice and fridge temp water.
    My other suggestion is run very early in the day. Pre-sunrise if possible.
    However, if you are going to be doing races in high heat you need to train in heat.
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

Ouch that is cold.

Hydrate hydrate hydrate
    I used to freeze my 2/3s full Camelback overnight then fill the remainder with ice and fridge temp water.
    However, if you are going to be doing races in high heat you need to train in heat.

Yeah, all summer long last year I was out there at 5 AM.
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

Ouch that is cold.

Hydrate hydrate hydrate
    I don't enjoy the running in the heat but I don't shy away from it if I am training... The benefits can be fantastic. I will be ultra training through this summer for an autumn race which is far more ideal than the other way around.

If it's really hot on a long run I will create a smaller loop so I can use home to refill my water

That said, I will still complain and curse my way through it 😂
  • Options
    That is part of the fun, I imagine!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    edited March 2021
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:

Ouch that is cold.

Hydrate hydrate hydrate
    I don't enjoy the running in the heat but I don't shy away from it if I am training... The benefits can be fantastic. I will be ultra training through this summer for an autumn race which is far more ideal than the other way around.

If it's really hot on a long run I will create a smaller loop so I can use home to refill my water

That said, I will still complain and curse my way through it 😂
    A loop is a good way to go.
    I used to do 5.25 mile loop and could stop and use the facilities if needed and grab a fresh frozen water from my car. And/or put some ice under my hat
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

Ouch that is cold.

I like the heat better than the cold in general. But running in the heat last summer was hard. It is not actually the heat, but the humidity (I know, cliche). Last summer in late July and August, we had quite a few days with really bad heat index. I had to get up really early to run and even then it threw my time off, and I had to stop and do a 30 second walk here and there. Carrying water was a must.

The cold for me is no fun either. Unlike F Me (kudos to you btw), I ran on the treadmill today. 32F is about the coldest I can stand running outside. I did buy some great Smartwool gloves and headband to cover my ears. That helps quite a bit. I love running in the 40s-70F. I can deal with that really well, especially if the sun is out. But again, my runs are much shorter than yours. Always under 90 minutes, and most often only about 60 minutes.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

Ouch that is cold.

I like the heat better than the cold in general. But running in the heat last summer was hard. It is not actually the heat, but the humidity (I know, cliche). Last summer in late July and August, we had quite a few days with really bad heat index. I had to get up really early to run and even then it threw my time off, and I had to stop and do a 30 second walk here and there. Carrying water was a must.

The cold for me is no fun either. Unlike F Me (kudos to you btw), I ran on the treadmill today. 32F is about the coldest I can stand running outside. I did buy some great Smartwool gloves and headband to cover my ears. That helps quite a bit. I love running in the 40s-70F. I can deal with that really well, especially if the sun is out. But again, my runs are much shorter than yours. Always under 90 minutes, and most often only about 60 minutes.

You ran with a mask on, kudos to YOU!

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    I saw this article yesterday about exercising in very cold weather and how it affects the lungs (in this case, skiing, but it applies to running as well). I was going to post it, then forgot, but the discussion today reminded me.

Why winter exercise can be especially hard on the lungs

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winter-exercise-lungs-1.5936703

A little light bulb went off for. I lived in Ottawa for 7 years and my asthma was terrible for several years there. I could never find any real triggers and it got so much better when I moved back to BC. I think that it was getting irritated in the winter, because I was active outside, and never really completely settled in the summer before ramping up again in the winter.

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf