Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589

Longest run, great job!

GlowGirl said:
    I am visiting my parents for a few days (for the first time in almost a year I might add - with a negative COVID test right before I got here). Anyway, just went for a run in their suburban neighborhood. The pros compared to running in NYC are the wide streets, very few cars passing by, and not having to stop for lights or dodge people on the sidewalks. But holy shit - the hills here are insane. Running along the East River in NYC is relatively flat with a few small inclines here and there. But here it is all hills. I am not used to that. To compare - according to my app the elevation for my normal route in NYC is about 40 ft. My route today was 345 ft. It is probably good for me to practice running hills occasionally, but I am not used to that. I did find one side street that was relatively flat except for one massive hill at the end. I am going to do one more run here on Tuesday and may stick with running up and down that street over and over. I threw my form out of the window today in terms of looking straight ahead. I looked down quite a bit as to not see the hills in front of me. I may have given up had I been looking straight up. But did my 5 miles so I am happy.
    Nice!  When I go to CA I stay in Dana Point and there is a massive hill that I love to run up.  Hell of an effort.  Wish I had something like that here to mix in occasionally.
    Glad you get to see your folks.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,701

Longest run, great job!

GlowGirl said:
    I am visiting my parents for a few days (for the first time in almost a year I might add - with a negative COVID test right before I got here). Anyway, just went for a run in their suburban neighborhood. The pros compared to running in NYC are the wide streets, very few cars passing by, and not having to stop for lights or dodge people on the sidewalks. But holy shit - the hills here are insane. Running along the East River in NYC is relatively flat with a few small inclines here and there. But here it is all hills. I am not used to that. To compare - according to my app the elevation for my normal route in NYC is about 40 ft. My route today was 345 ft. It is probably good for me to practice running hills occasionally, but I am not used to that. I did find one side street that was relatively flat except for one massive hill at the end. I am going to do one more run here on Tuesday and may stick with running up and down that street over and over. I threw my form out of the window today in terms of looking straight ahead. I looked down quite a bit as to not see the hills in front of me. I may have given up had I been looking straight up. But did my 5 miles so I am happy.
    Nice!  When I go to CA I stay in Dana Point and there is a massive hill that I love to run up.  Hell of an effort.  Wish I had something like that here to mix in occasionally.
    Glad you get to see your folks.
    It is nice to be here. I usually visit at least 4 times a year, but haven't been here since last Thanksgiving. Had to make sure I did a COVID test before I came, and then was really careful at home for a few days until I got here. I haven't been able to hug my parents, but my dad and I watched movies together last night on opposite sides of the room - so that was nice.

It is an effort to tackle those massive hills. The first one I encountered was somewhat fun since it was different, but by the time I got to the third massive hill, I was over it. Hill might even be the wrong word since it didn't go back down the other side - it just flattened out for a while and then went up again. Of course when I turned around at the end of the street, I got the downhill parts, but I was already huffing and puffing too much to enjoy it. 

Nice job. I am happy to see you are still at it. Keep it up.
  • (I walked too)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • First time I got some "exercise pain" from running. A good thing to get above 6km going forward then. TO FEEL LIKE SOMETHING IS HAPPENING
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited October 2020
    Good to see folks are still out running. After spending the past 14 weeks rehabbing a nasty high ankle sprain, I finally was able to get a short, light jog in yesterday. Today, Mother Nature has decided to start bringing outdoor running to a close.

Guess it’s time to dust off the “dreadmill” for the winter months.
  • Good to see folks are still out running. After spending the past 14 weeks rehabbing a nasty high ankle sprain, I finally was able to get a short, light jog in yesterday. Today, Mother Nature has decided to start bringing outdoor running to a close.

Guess it’s time to dust off the “dreadmill” for the winter months.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Yeah, I dont know what I will do if the snow comes here in any real way before the end of Nov, when I have the 26.2 to run.
    Last year we didnt get any snow that stuck for more than a matter of hours but will play it by ear.  Good news is that for November I am pretty much on taper down for most of the month so even if I had to go dreadmill for some of those runs, they will be shorter.
    0% chance I run 26.2 on my dreadmill.  Nfw. 
    If we got a shitton of snow I would figure something else out, including running in the snow and risking injury vs. trying to go 26.2 on my fucking machine, where I can be certain I would injure myself.
    Perhaps buy a nice one...
    edited October 2020
    Yeah, I dont know what I will do if the snow comes here in any real way before the end of Nov, when I have the 26.2 to run.
    Last year we didnt get any snow that stuck for more than a matter of hours but will play it by ear.  Good news is that for November I am pretty much on taper down for most of the month so even if I had to go dreadmill for some of those runs, they will be shorter.
    0% chance I run 26.2 on my dreadmill.  Nfw. 
    If we got a shitton of snow I would figure something else out, including running in the snow and risking injury vs. trying to go 26.2 on my fucking machine, where I can be certain I would injure myself.
    Perhaps buy a nice one...
    Good luck with that. I think your weather is similar to mine. If I recall, last year we really didn't get any major snow - at least not before January/February. Last Thanksgiving wasn't too bad in that way. I dread the treadmill weather because I am going to have to use the one at the gym, which means masks up all the time. I am not even sure I will be able to do that. I guess we will see.

I only got in 3.5 miles today. I had an unexpected work Zoom this morning so not enough time for my usual 5 miles. I am still at my parents with all the hills so I am telling myself that I exerted the same effort as with a longer run at home - at least that is what I am telling myself :s

Post edited by GlowGirl on
    Sounds about right!
    ;)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Jogging?  Come oooooooooooon, isn't my walking good enough?  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    brianlux said:
    Jogging?  Come oooooooooooon, isn't my walking good enough?  :lol: 
    No. Walking and jogging are totally different. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Great work, longest run!

You have earned a few beers and a nice frozen "pizza"
    Jk, hope you eat something better than that.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I had my first run today in 6 or 7 weeks, due to a combination of things including being away for a couple of weeks, a bout of metatarsalgia (which I would not recommend to anyone), and then an injury sustained when a bottle of soy sauce jumped out of the fridge and torpedoed right at the big toe on my right foot. I'm finally all healed up from those, although the knock-on effects of the change in gait due to the metatarsalgia also caused pain in my right ankle and knee which hasn't yet completely gone away :weary: . Given the time off, I went for a shorter run than usual, about 8.5 km, and it felt pretty good with almost no pain. Running in the rain at 6oC is definitely a different experience than running in the summer heat.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    A good distance for not having run in a while, your body will thank you for starting slower, no doubt.  (Or at least shorter....)
    Glad you are feeling better and can get back out.
    Hope your strides get back to normal, soon!
    I had my first run today in 6 or 7 weeks, due to a combination of things including being away for a couple of weeks, a bout of metatarsalgia (which I would not recommend to anyone), and then an injury sustained when a bottle of soy sauce jumped out of the fridge and torpedoed right at the big toe on my right foot. I'm finally all healed up from those, although the knock-on effects of the change in gait due to the metatarsalgia also caused pain in my right ankle and knee which hasn't yet completely gone away :weary: . Given the time off, I went for a shorter run than usual, about 8.5 km, and it felt pretty good with almost no pain. Running in the rain at 6oC is definitely a different experience than running in the summer heat.
    I am glad you are feeling better enough to start running. Great that you had no pain. Yes, much better running weather now than that summer heat. But we have had some awful humidity here the last few days. Hoping it won’t be so bad tomorrow. 
    91% humidity this morning.  Only 62 degrees so not bad like in the summer, but pretty warm.  Left the house in a gray shirt and gray shorts and came back in heavy black clothing.  :lol:

Thanks, guys. I am a teeny bit stiff today :lol:  Okay, more than a teeny bit, but I’ll live. Heading out on the bike now for my Saturday ride. Have a good weekend, runners!
    Sure you will feel better after the bike ride.  Enjoy it!
    Sure you will feel better after the bike ride.  Enjoy it!
    Absolutely - I always feel better after a ride!

95% of the time it’s because I had a great ride, and 5% of the time it’s because I’m done ;) . Win-win! 
    91% humidity this morning.  Only 62 degrees so not bad like in the summer, but pretty warm.  Left the house in a gray shirt and gray shorts and came back in heavy black clothing.  :lol:

The humidity was bad. I also was covered in sweat. But at least the temp was not too bad. That made it much easier than in the summer. Managed 6.5 miles. I usually end my run about 1.5 miles from my apartment so I can do a nice cool down walk. Between being sweaty and having the temp cooler it was a very clammy walk home. As it gets colder I will have to end my run closer to home. 
    I went to the gym today to do some weight training. It was only my 3rd time back there. I felt safe. It is a huge gym and there were maybe 25 people total on both floors, and lots of wipes and sanitizer stations scattered around. Anyway, while I was there I decided to see what it would be like to run on the treadmill with a mask since I know I will have to do that within the next few months. Today is not one of my running days, so I thought a short 2.5 miles on the treadmill would give me some idea. That is about 1/2 of what I will be running on it. Well, in one word - SUCKED! Once I started breathing heavier the mask would suck into my mouth. Several time I had to slow down just to pull it away from my face for a minute to gulp in some air. Once I unpinched the nose thing it helped a bit - but I kept jutting my chin out to push it away from my mouth. By the time I finished the mask was soaked and now my face is all red and itchy where the mask was. Just so I am not totally complaining, running outside has made the treadmill seem much easier by comparison. I was able to maintain higher speeds for longer than when I last ran on a treadmill in March - so that was nice experience. I asked one of the trainers advice about running with the mask. She suggested this mask by Under Armour. I had read about this mask. I think is $30 (a lot for a mask). But I am going to buy it. It will be worth it if it works. In fact, if it works I will buy several. Anyone else have any mask suggestions for the treadmill? 
    GlowGirl said:
    I went to the gym today to do some weight training. It was only my 3rd time back there. I felt safe. It is a huge gym and there were maybe 25 people total on both floors, and lots of wipes and sanitizer stations scattered around. Anyway, while I was there I decided to see what it would be like to run on the treadmill with a mask since I know I will have to do that within the next few months. Today is not one of my running days, so I thought a short 2.5 miles on the treadmill would give me some idea. That is about 1/2 of what I will be running on it. Well, in one word - SUCKED! Once I started breathing heavier the mask would suck into my mouth. Several time I had to slow down just to pull it away from my face for a minute to gulp in some air. Once I unpinched the nose thing it helped a bit - but I kept jutting my chin out to push it away from my mouth. By the time I finished the mask was soaked and now my face is all red and itchy where the mask was. Just so I am not totally complaining, running outside has made the treadmill seem much easier by comparison. I was able to maintain higher speeds for longer than when I last ran on a treadmill in March - so that was nice experience. I asked one of the trainers advice about running with the mask. She suggested this mask by Under Armour. I had read about this mask. I think is $30 (a lot for a mask). But I am going to buy it. It will be worth it if it works. In fact, if it works I will buy several. Anyone else have any mask suggestions for the treadmill? 
    You might also wish to look into one of the mask frames, that holds the mask away from the mouth and nose. I haven’t tried one and I am not sure if they’re stable enough to use while running, but perhaps worth looking into

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Homemade-Comfortable-Breathing-Washable/dp/B08931ZQZC
    A couple of weeks ago I tried to order one of the masks made for exercise. I checked under armour and a few of the other highly rated ones and nothing  was in stock. Good luck!
    Sorry to hear that it was so bothersome....run in the cold!
    I'm going to do my best to not run on a treadmill again this year.  Luckily if I do I don't need to wear a mask ....but it is a shitty treadmill and harder than running outside 

Went for an hour long hike with the family today.
    They are very slow!  Lol.

We used neck gaiters so that it was easy to pull up if you saw anyone else.  It was a light rain out so we only saw people twice.  Always nice to walk in the woods, though.
    GlowGirl said:
    You might also wish to look into one of the mask frames, that holds the mask away from the mouth and nose. I haven’t tried one and I am not sure if they’re stable enough to use while running, but perhaps worth looking into

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Homemade-Comfortable-Breathing-Washable/dp/B08931ZQZC
    That was the other suggestion from the trainer. I ordered the Under Armour one a few hours ago. Apparently it has a more rigid frame to keep the mask away from your mouth. I will let you know what it is like when it arrives. It should come next week. Hopefully, I won’t need it for another month in terms of running outside. 
    A couple of weeks ago I tried to order one of the masks made for exercise. I checked under armour and a few of the other highly rated ones and nothing  was in stock. Good luck!
    Under Armour is in stock now. Just ordered one. 
    Sorry to hear that it was so bothersome....run in the cold!
    I'm going to do my best to not run on a treadmill again this year.  Luckily if I do I don't need to wear a mask ....but it is a shitty treadmill and harder than running outside 

Went for an hour long hike with the family today.
    They are very slow!  Lol.

We used neck gaiters so that it was easy to pull up if you saw anyone else.  It was a light rain out so we only saw people twice.  Always nice to walk in the woods, though.
    I plan to run outside as long as I can stand it. A hike in the woods sounds nice. You are lucky you have your own treadmill. If I had the space I would definitely get one. 
    At 5am tomorrow 97% chance of rain....98% at 6am.
    :lol:
    Gonna be a wet one!

At least it is meant to be in the high 50s.  As long as it is not pouring it will be no big deal.  With forecast for constant rain while I'm out there, pouring could make me at least consider the treadmill.  Don't think I can bring myself to do the treadmill but we will have to see how bad the rain is.  :lol:.