Tom Petty - Wildflowers - All The Rest

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    edited October 2020
    But not that big of a fan if he didn't pre-order it or get a hold from the shop.

Yeah id figure he’d be getting the 9lp set or something.  No biggie.  Some good Vinyl karma  never hurts.  Just found a copy at Barnes and Noble. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,905
    Is this thing going out of print?  Originally I was going to buy the regular LP version, but I really want the 7lp to get the live album.   I was hoping to bide my time until I found one sale.   If they're selling out maybe I should go back with plan A.
    9LP set came from Bullmoose. 

wow. This is how big anniversary box sets should be done. 

cc: Billy Corgan for MCIS next week.

Didn't MCIS get a release already?  MCIS's boxset is Aeroplane Flies High which did get a pretty amazing expanded version a few years back.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,823
    They did. But the vinyl versions were just the album, poorly cut and poorly pressed. We got no bonus tracks or any live shows. 

This proves you can master a similar era album well for vinyl, include a ton of unreleased tracks and demos, as well as a live show (Like the CD/digital versions of those sets) and put it out at a decent price. 

edited October 2020
    Zod said:
    Is this thing going out of print?  Originally I was going to buy the regular LP version, but I really want the 7lp to get the live album.   I was hoping to bide my time until I found one sale.   If they're selling out maybe I should go back with plan A.
    Theres no word, but I'm sure the 7 and 9 LP versions will fairly quickly go OOP (after the holidays?) just because of how elaborate they are, and the 3LP will stay in print a bit before they most likely replace it with a 2LP version.

But this does seem to be selling like hotcakes.
    Man. Just streamed most of this.  Im going for the 7LP.  The extra material is stunning. 
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,461
    I find it interesting that they were never able to find the original track listing of the double album they submitted to Warner. However, I kinda feel like I did when Lost Dogs came out and we could assemble Binaural any way we wanted to by substituting tracks or omitting tracks. For example, I always felt that House in the Woods sounded like an ending track to a disc, so I could move that to the end of All The Rest if I wanted to.

I also find it interesting how different the She's The One soundtrack takes are compared to these Wildflowers sessions. They talked in the youtube special how Hung Up and Overdue has both a Beatle (Ringo Starr) and a Beach Boy (Carl Wilson) playing on it on the soundtrack. But the version on All The Rest is just Tom and it's just such a haunting version of it.

My favorite track from All The Rest so far is Something Could Happen. The instrumentation on that track is phenomenal.
  • William WallaceWilliam Wallace Posts: 553
    edited October 2020
    Man. Just streamed most of this.  Im going for the 7LP.  The extra material is stunning. 

You are so right, the extra material really is fantastic.
    This is a hell of a great release.
    They did. But the vinyl versions were just the album, poorly cut and poorly pressed. We got no bonus tracks or any live shows. 

This proves you can master a similar era album well for vinyl, include a ton of unreleased tracks and demos, as well as a live show (Like the CD/digital versions of those sets) and put it out at a decent price. 

Yah... the mastering could of been better.  There is a deluxe version but I think it was CD only, no big LP set that contained everything the CD version had.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362
    Absolutely beautiful. Wow. You are sorely missed, Tom.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,344
    Haven’t cried like that in a while...

Anyways I thought I read somewhere that the album had been actually sequenced as a double album before warner shot it down.  I’m wondering what that originally sequencing was
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    It is a beautiful sounding record. Sound quality is on par with any of the QRP presses I own. No regrets for grabbing a copy of this. Buy one if you haven’t.
  • The box set is something to be treasured. So much to dig through. I love the home recordings, incredible to get to hear these songs take shape.Two other highlights are the live 12 minute version of It's Good to be King. They truly were one of the finest bands to ever take the stage. And the alternate take of Wildflowers, where the song begins with Tom counting Ringo Starr into the start of the song. Get your hands on some version of this set if you haven't  

A couple of meaningful links from the past few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zvtvpi5S3k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvXQf7CE-Bg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hI8n2IB-Lk
    5/25/06, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 7/11/14, 9/26/15, 4/18/16, (4/20/16), 4/21/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 7/1/18, 7/3/18, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 8/22/24, 9/7/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24

8/1/08, 6/16/11, 6/26/17, 6/27/17, 7/3/19, 2/4/22

11/4/16
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,812
    Wow. So, soooo good and incredibly put together box set :sunglasses: I'm not sure I've ever listened to a retrospective release like this and received the listening of it as such a gift. Fresh, new TP tunes that anchor you in the present and alternately tug you into the past. Yesterday I played the records in the house while my family was going about normal weekend business. Amidst the action I simply sat at the table and, as if in a time machine, was transported to various places from the past 25 years. It's a beautiful collection of music and the box set is a reminder of just how great Tom Petty's music was/is. If you're on the fence about buying this I'd encourage you to pick it up.

On the other hand, I wish as much attention to detail was given the shipping box as was the box set itself. A little more thought/effort could have gone a long way. I bought the 9LP set from the TP store and it's vexing to think a $250 box set was buffered w/ craft paper and shipped in an unprotected cardboard box. First world problems I know but...it showed up with a dinged corner. As much design went into the the set, it's not asking much as a customer/fan that the same care be given the packaging.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,461
    Haven’t cried like that in a while...

Anyways I thought I read somewhere that the album had been actually sequenced as a double album before warner shot it down.  I’m wondering what that originally sequencing was
    From the Rolling Stone article:

Petty’s original 1994 tracking order for the double-disc Wildflowers was never located. “I did search for a couple months for the original double-album sequencing,” says Adria. “I would have loved to have put out what he delivered to Lenny and Mo as the finished album. That would have been something. I used to listen to it all the time on a gold CD, and we loved it and Dad loved it.  And all we can remember is that it was basically the first album and All the Rest, a J.J. Cale cover, and then it ended with ‘Girl on LSD.’”

Adria did say in the Youtube special on Friday that they have a best guess of the sequence and that they might release it "someday."
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,632
    jjflash said:
    Wow. So, soooo good and incredibly put together box set :sunglasses: I'm not sure I've ever listened to a retrospective release like this and received the listening of it as such a gift. Fresh, new TP tunes that anchor you in the present and alternately tug you into the past. Yesterday I played the records in the house while my family was going about normal weekend business. Amidst the action I simply sat at the table and, as if in a time machine, was transported to various places from the past 25 years. It's a beautiful collection of music and the box set is a reminder of just how great Tom Petty's music was/is. If you're on the fence about buying this I'd encourage you to pick it up.

On the other hand, I wish as much attention to detail was given the shipping box as was the box set itself. A little more thought/effort could have gone a long way. I bought the 9LP set from the TP store and it's vexing to think a $250 box set was buffered w/ craft paper and shipped in an unprotected cardboard box. First world problems I know but...it showed up with a dinged corner. As much design went into the the set, it's not asking much as a customer/fan that the same care be given the packaging.
    I experienced the same with the poorly packaged shipping and a dented corner on the 9LP set.  I bought mine through the Tom Petty Store.  I thought about seeing if I could get an exchange, but I couldn’t resist opening up this beautiful set and start spinning these records. Plus, I didn’t want to risk them not having more copies.  This box set is absolutely stunning and sounds amazing.  It’s worth it for the Wildflowers Live set alone!  That live version of It’s Good To Be King is incredible!  I miss Tom.
    Mine was dented on the lower right cover of the set. Got mine from Bullmoose though. Their shipping box was fine, so I assumed it was the box sent to them from the distributor.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Label created :angry:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    man do I regret not seeing him live. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I was lucky to see him with PJ for MKE N2. Fun night. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362
    I’m glad I caught him on his last tour at Red Rocks. I’d only seen him once before on the Wildflowers tour.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mfc2006 said:
    I’m glad I caught him on his last tour at Red Rocks. I’d only seen him once before on the Wildflowers tour.
    i have made the mistake of not shelling out the cash for amazing musical acts only because the artist isn't one of my faves, and with the amount of shows i go to on a limited budget, i tend to keep going to see the same favourite bands over and over. but man, there are a few i regret not going to. petty is one of them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,511
    Would have never seen him, but because they toured with pj caught the denver show. Man their guitar player really impressed me. That's really all that stuck in my rock and roll memory of that show. I also remember when ev came out to sing a song with tp I couldnt hear him for sh.t. They also jammed that bob dylan song which was cool to see them all having fun together.
    ISO ames poster from that night...
    Glad the fans are enjoying this release so much!
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2020
    I saw him at halftime at the SuperBowl! Short show... but it was damn good 
    Our release was sent yesterday. Should be here Thursday evening.  My wife is quite excited... she is the fan. 

Probably not a popular opinion on this thread... but his voice gets to me after a while. Great artist... but I can only handle it in small doses. 
    Everyone is different though! 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    Lucky enough to see Tom & The HBs twice as a teen and a third time on the Wildflowers tour all in the 90s. That Wildflowers show was as good, if not better than any of the 20 something PJ shows I’ve been too. My Pop is a big fan and I still remember the day he brought home Full Moon Fever from the record store in 88 or 89? Salient musical memory hearing that record in the living room with his big old cans on my ears. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited October 2020
    Never saw him somehow but i bought concert tickets for him for about four different tours....

When i was starting out there was a old VP in the company who i was friendly with.  He was a bigger Petty fan than i was by far.  He was not computer savvy tho so every time a tour went on sale i would be called to his big old office, given the presale code and his credit card.   I always got him within the first three rows. :lol: 

He was a great guy.  Helped me out in my career.  I like to think the 2nd row seats helped as well.  
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,624
    I like Tom Petty, but only saw him live once - when he toured with Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead. It was sometime in the 80s. I still have the T-shirt from that show in pretty good shape. 
    Saw Tom Petty twice.  2005 at the Gorge, and 2014 at the Gorge.   Both were awesome :)   Kind of bummed I didn't see the last show he played in Vancouver.  Wildflowers was a song I always wanted to see live but it never worked out.   It got played on that last tour but I missed :(
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,289
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,289
    othet than record weight is their a quality didferece betweenbyhe op live anthology and the repress?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14