Tom Petty - Wildflowers - All The Rest

https://youtu.be/OKr11WGvWUo

Written by Tom and Mike Campbell and recorded in 1992, but forgotten in Petty's archives until this year, "Somewhere Under Heaven" is a lost gem from one of the most profilic periods of Petty's career, during which he wrote and recorded the album that became 1994's Wildflowers.

Tom Petty's forthcoming album Wildflowers - All The Rest, which is composed of tracks written and recorded by Petty between 1992 and 1994, will complete the original Wildflowers album, which was initially intended by Petty and producer Rick Rubin to be a double CD.

"Somewhere Under Heaven" is now available to stream and purchase at all digital retailers and can be heard during the end-credits of the Warner Bros Pictures movie Entourage, to be released June 3rd.

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362
    awesome news!!!

I never knew that Wildflowers was intended to be a double album...it's easily my favorite Petty album & one of my all time favorite albums. Can't wait to hear new songs written during that era!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Shut up and take my money!
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204

Shut up and take my money!

right? this is a no brainer.
  • weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    awesome tom news. TY
    fucking love tp and the wildflowers almost as much as the tour they did as bob dylans back up band
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Prob the greatest concert I've ever been to was that wild flowers tour in the 90's. Amazing performer.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    I'm really dying to hear real news about Wildflowers being reissued.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,461
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, that's the strange thing about this news...no mention of a reissue, which was being talked about last year. I wonder if they'll put out a double album edition, Wildflowers reissue and Wildflowers - All The Rest.
    PJ_Soul said:

Same here. Heard a few outtakes on Youtube but I want to hear more.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    It's a hell of a start. How about that?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,812
    mfc2006 said:

awesome news!!!

I never knew that Wildflowers was intended to be a double album...it's easily my favorite Petty album & one of my all time favorite albums. Can't wait to hear new songs written during that era!

+1. I've been off the grid for a few days and am just catching up on news.....and man is this good news! Really looking forward to hearing this :smiley:
    Apparently, there's going to be another Mudcrutch album as well. I wore that album out in Summer of 2008. Nice to hear his first band is getting back in the studio.
    jjflash said:

mfc2006 said:

awesome news!!!

+1. I've been off the grid for a few days and am just catching up on news.....and man is this good news! Really looking forward to hearing this :smiley:
    hell yeah, it's good news!!!

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited July 2015
    "What's happening with the Wildflowers box set? I've been hearing about that for years."

"It's not really a box set. They have the second album of the double album that was originally made. We are going to release the second disc that hasn't been released before. I like it a lot. The original plan was to release it as as the complete Wildflowers album with the original album and this. And Warner Bros. came back to us and said, "Look, this is far too good a record to just send straight to the catalog racks. We're going to put it out as its own album." I was behind that decision too. It's done and we're eventually going to put it out. It's just sitting there finished, so I'm waiting to hear when they're going to put it out."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-petty-on-new-mudcrutch-lp-and-why-hes-done-with-solo-albums-20150716
  • SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    Nice!!
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    That sounds to me like Wildflowers isnt being reissued then......
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.

That sounds to me like Wildflowers isnt being reissued then......

Well, he didn't say that. Just that the second disc would be released separately. I didn't really take that to mean that Wildflowers would never be reissued. At least I hope not.... I don't want to have to pay for an original (but I guess I will if I have to, eventually).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,905
    I'm still pretty stoked that there's this myserious companion album to one of my alltime favorite albums. Never new about it until this info started coming out.

You can really ever go back and be a previous version of yourself, but there's this whole album Petty made when it was at his prime. I'm pretty stoked to hear it. The comment does make it seem like a Wildflowers reissue might get lost in the shuffle of putting out the 2nd disc as standalone album.

I bought a near mint wildflowers on vinyl for about 100cdn last year. Sounds like it was brand new... it was the highest album on my to find list.... favorite petty album. I wish he played the title track more often live.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    I dig that little sample. Reminds me of a classic Rush tune.
    Found this nice little nugget in the latest Rolling Stone about the Mudcrutch tour:

"Petty already has plans beyond the tour, which wraps June 30th. Next year, he hopes to release a deluxe edition of 1994's Wildflowers, which he'll likely support by playing the album in its entirety on the road."
  • weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179

Found this nice little nugget in the latest Rolling Stone about the Mudcrutch tour:

"Petty already has plans beyond the tour, which wraps June 30th. Next year, he hopes to release a deluxe edition of 1994's Wildflowers, which he'll likely support by playing the album in its entirety on the road."

thanks. that is a NUGGET indeed. love that album+++
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

that is amazing if it happens
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    Saw him on the original Wildflowers tour. Amazing. Probably better than any Pearl Jam show I've seen!
    www.cluthelee.com

Saw him on the original Wildflowers tour. Amazing. Probably better than any Pearl Jam show I've seen!

I did as well. My second all time favorite album & it sounds awesome on vinyl! Excited to hear the songs that didn't quite make the cut.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RB90590RB90590 Posts: 227
    Can't wait for this. One of those albums I want on vinyl so bad, but refuse to pull the trigger cause of this possible reissue.

still kick myself for not going to the gorge to see this tour.
    Interesting..just saw this pop up on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Studio-Albums-1994-2014-Vinyl/dp/B01LYE9PXG/ref=sr_1_125?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1476076611&sr=1-125&refinements=p_n_binding_browse-bin:387647011,p_69:0y-170y

Editorial Reviews
    Includes Wildflowers (2-LP); She's The One (1-LP); Echo (2-LP; three sides of music plus laser art etching on side four); The Last DJ (2-LP; three sides of music plus laser art etching on side four); Highway Companion (2-LP); Mojo (2-LP); and Hypnotic Eye (1-LP). All vinyl in box is 180 gram

Interesting..just saw this pop up on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Studio-Albums-1994-2014-Vinyl/dp/B01LYE9PXG/ref=sr_1_125?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1476076611&sr=1-125&refinements=p_n_binding_browse-bin:387647011,p_69:0y-170y

Editorial Reviews
    Includes Wildflowers (2-LP); She's The One (1-LP); Echo (2-LP; three sides of music plus laser art etching on side four); The Last DJ (2-LP; three sides of music plus laser art etching on side four); Highway Companion (2-LP); Mojo (2-LP); and Hypnotic Eye (1-LP). All vinyl in box is 180 gram

Whoa.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    It will be interesting if Wildflowers and She's the One surface outside of this boxset. For the prices they go for now, that $250 price point isnt that bad for those plus 9 other records.
    Praying they are released individually too.
  • $230.00 at bullmoose
    PJ_Soul said:

Praying they are released individually too.

I'd prefer that too but would prob buy one of these boxsets if that was the only alternative.