Options

SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States)

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    tbergs said:
    I gotta say, everything I've read about her responses today and yesterday have me impressed. she is way more intellectual than Kavanaugh. 
    She just much more reserved and knows how to say what she needs to. Kavanaugh is a stooge and typical of a white male in power, couldn't handle someone challenging him. 
    Yeah never mind that he was being accused of rape, in front of the world, from an alleged incident decades ago, with had no evidence against him except the testimony of the accuser. He's just a typical white male in power acting like one!
    Yeah because his accuser wasn't credible at all.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    kinda surprised only crickets in here for the most part. 
    I guess there's not all that much to talk about. She'll be confirmed. When (presumably) Biden wins and the Dems take over the Congress, they'll expand the court because they're bitter that they lost an election to a gameshow host and he was able to appoint three justices. 

One thing that strikes me as strange is the Democrats are going on and on about Obamacare in regards to the Barrett appointment. Why? There's no case that I know of that's calling into question the whether or not Obamacare is constitutional. They're treating this like it's an election campaign ("Our opponent will take away your healthcare!") but I don't think it works like that. 
    I don't think it's about that. They aren't bitter, they're pissed that Repubs make up reasons around when they will or won't appoint judges and then do the exact opposite when it suits them. The entire country should be upset about that, but because politics is now a team sport, you have conservatives hoping to make liberals cry again instead of being fair and moral or actually caring about justice. It's fucked up, but go ahead and blame it on "bitter" democrats.

There is no karma, there is no the pendulum will swing back bullshit. The current Repub party as it stands knows this and will continue to rape our systems and utilize loop holes to twist things to their will. If anyone you worked with or for, pulled this kind of shit to get ahead or what they wanted, you wouldn't want to work for them or with them. There is a majority of the minority in this country who are spiteful people and Trump is there dream come true. These idiots don't think 5 feet in front of them or what their decisions impact. At some point, the court and government will lean left again and then those same people will bitch that it isn't fair that they can no longer exploit the system for their gain. Fuck them. I'm done with them and their ignorant views.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    I gotta say, everything I've read about her responses today and yesterday have me impressed. she is way more intellectual than Kavanaugh. 
    She just much more reserved and knows how to say what she needs to. Kavanaugh is a stooge and typical of a white male in power, couldn't handle someone challenging him. 
    Yeah never mind that he was being accused of rape, in front of the world, from an alleged incident decades ago, with had no evidence against him except the testimony of the accuser. He's just a typical white male in power acting like one!
    She talked very well, so I guess that’s the only way to gage her credibility without any evidence. I wonder where she was all those years as he advanced higher and higher in the justice system, because she said she had a duty to come forth when he was appointed to the SC. And I know, it’s not easy to come forth with your story if you were sexually assaulted. So maybe that’s why she never reported it to police or came forth at any other time as he kept moving higher and higher up in the justice system. Yet when he’s about to make it to the very top, she’s willing to tell the world her story....
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    tbergs said:
    Because the adult thing to do and what should be expected of a nominee for SCOTUS is to make an extremely partisan and dangerous statement like this:

“This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election, fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record,” Kavanaugh said. “Revenge on behalf of the Clintons and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups.”

“This is a circus,” he continued. “The consequences will extend long past my nomination. The consequences will be with us for decades. This grotesque character assassination will dissuade confident and good people of all political persuasions from serving our country, and as we all know, in the political system of the early 2000s, what goes around comes around.”

He definitely is impartial and ready to serve. He's a privileged pile of shit who took advantage of being a white male his whole life. He is a disgrace to all other white males and stokes the continued attacks against white males and the stereotypes that have been proven true under a Trump presidency.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    edited October 2020
    tbergs said:
    I guess there's not all that much to talk about. She'll be confirmed. When (presumably) Biden wins and the Dems take over the Congress, they'll expand the court because they're bitter that they lost an election to a gameshow host and he was able to appoint three justices. 

One thing that strikes me as strange is the Democrats are going on and on about Obamacare in regards to the Barrett appointment. Why? There's no case that I know of that's calling into question the whether or not Obamacare is constitutional. They're treating this like it's an election campaign ("Our opponent will take away your healthcare!") but I don't think it works like that. 
    I don't think it's about that. They aren't bitter, they're pissed that Repubs make up reasons around when they will or won't appoint judges and then do the exact opposite when it suits them. The entire country should be upset about that, but because politics is now a team sport, you have conservatives hoping to make liberals cry again instead of being fair and moral or actually caring about justice. It's fucked up, but go ahead and blame it on "bitter" democrats.
    "They aren't bitter. they're pissed." What's the difference? 

Anyway, I get what you're saying about the GOP's hypocrisy regarding when the president should appoint someone. But to change the size of the court seems pretty extreme. "We lost to stupid Trump. That allowed him to appoint three justices. We can't just wait around for some of them to die. So we'll expand the court and add liberal justices." is basically what they're saying. And whatever, since the SC justices are as partisan as everything else, I'm fine with it being even. But then when the GOP is in charge, they'll expand it again, and there will be 25 SC justices before ya know it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    She talked very well, so I guess that’s the only way to gage her credibility without any evidence. I wonder where she was all those years as he advanced higher and higher in the justice system, because she said she had a duty to come forth when he was appointed to the SC. And I know, it’s not easy to come forth with your story if you were sexually assaulted. So maybe that’s why she never reported it to police or came forth at any other time as he kept moving higher and higher up in the justice system. Yet when he’s about to make it to the very top, she’s willing to tell the world her story....
    Victim blaming, classy. You know who's good at that? Men because we didn't have to deal with what women do, especially someone who was raped in the 80's. Women were barely making a dent in the workforce and had just been given the right to have a credit card in their own name without their husbands approval a decade earlier. Even today, you still have cases like that asshole who raped the woman in the alley and the judge and attorney talk about not ruining his life. Not much has changed.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    Victim blaming, classy. You know who's good at that? Men because we didn't have to deal with what women do, especially someone who was raped in the 80's. Women were barely making a dent in the workforce and had just been given the right to have a credit card in their own name without their husbands approval a decade earlier. Even today, you still have cases like that asshole who raped the woman in the alley and the judge and attorney talk about not ruining his life. Not much has changed.
    I'm not victim-blaming. Look up the definition of victim-blaming. I'm questioning her credibility and whether she even is a victim, but I'm not victim-blaming at all. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    tbergs said:

"They aren't bitter. they're pissed." What's the difference? 

Anyway, I get what you're saying about the GOP's hypocrisy regarding when the president should appoint someone. But to change the size of the court seems pretty extreme. "We lost to stupid Trump. That allowed him to appoint three justices. We can't just wait around for some of them to die. So we'll expand the court and add liberal justices." is basically what they're saying. And whatever, since the SC justices are as partisan as everything else, I'm fine with it being even. But then when the GOP is in charge, they'll expand it again, and there will be 25 SC justices before ya know it.
    Well, let's use them in a sentence:

John's girlfriend was bitter he had sex with his coworker.
    John's girlfriend was pissed he had sex with his coworker.

I don't know, difference seems pretty clear. I don't think that dems are resentful or jealous for getting fucked over, but they are pretty pissed!

Anyway, losing to Trump isn't what caused 3 justices to be appointed, it was repubs deciding they were going to take advantage of every loop hole they could to ram them all through on their terms. They're like the sleazy lawyer using every "legal" way they can to screw with the process to get what they want. I don't call that being good at your job, I call that being a morally bankrupt asshole. I can do a lot of things that aren't illegal, but it doesn't mean my actions should be rewarded or commended.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    I'm not victim-blaming. Look up the definition of victim-blaming. I'm questioning her credibility and whether she even is a victim, but I'm not victim-blaming at all. 
    Ok, you aren't saying she did anything to deserve being raped, but you are blaming her for not reporting it, so that's what I meant by victim blaming. Instead of challenging the other person to respond to the accusation, the attention often turns to why the female didn't report it to police or say anything before (insert moment of time here). I understand the need not to immediately assume guilt or innocence, but how people respond is very telling.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I'd like to know what makes a rape victim credible or not credible. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Ted Cruz continues to embarrass himself on an international level. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    every time i look at amy coney barrett I can't help but think of Wendy Byrde from Ozark. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Well, they sided with systemic racism today—big shock, I know—so fuck ’em!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Hirono asks if she’s raped anyone. 

Whitehouse spends half hour mansplaining that conservatives try to get conservatives in the Supreme Court thinking he’s uncovered something. No questions for the person he’s supposed to be reviewing.  Imagine if a republican did that to a liberal judge?

Lol.  And you guys are hung up chasing ghosts.  
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options

Whitehouse spends half hour mansplaining that conservatives try to get conservatives in the Supreme Court thinking he’s uncovered something. No questions for the person he’s supposed to be reviewing.  Imagine if a republican did that to a liberal judge?

I'll make sure to bookmark this post for about a year from now. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,835
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    I grew up in Maryland. I did not know Kavanagh. However, do you remember his friend Mark Judge who was named as being the other guy involved in the incident. Well, I did know Mark during Jr. High and high school. He lived directly next door to my best friend and we used to all hang out for a while. From what I know about Mark and the way he used to be back then, especially around us girls, I totally believe that this happened. He and Kavanagh were apparently best friends at the time. Again, I never met Kavanagh and can’t speak to why it was not reported sooner. But I knew guys like that all through high school including Kavanagh’s best bud. Her story rings true to me. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    and people's voting behaviour even changes based on the EC. people who know their vote doesn't matter don't even bother. that goes for both sides. so the popular vote, in reality, really means absolutely nothing, because everything would be turned on its head if the popular vote were in play. 
    100% this. I agree with your last few posts. I always thought the popular vote argument means nothing. Presidential candidates campaign based on the EC and the votes needed. And as you pointed out it also influences who does and doesn’t vote. The popular vote would likely be entirely different if everyone thought that’s what matters in an election. 
    It’s like losing a Super Bowl and then complaining about the rules afterwards that everyone was well aware of and saying field goals should be worth 5 points instead of 3 and you would have won if they were. Well, if field goals were worth 5 points then it would completely change how the game is played and the result would have been completely different.
    Having an election based on the electoral college and then using the popular vote in any argument is equally pointless.
  • Options

I'll make sure to bookmark this post for about a year from now. 
    Exactly...the hypocrisy is just ridiculous

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

Imagine a liberal court being bought and paid for and winning 80-0? I suppose you’d blame Soros?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Her story changed multiple times. Including the year it happened, how wild she was, and how many people were there. That’s what brought into question her credibility more than the timing I think. 
    Now maybe that’s due to the traumatic experience, but it still plays a role in credibility.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    Her story changed multiple times. Including the year it happened, how wild she was, and how many people were there. That’s what brought into question her credibility more than the timing I think. 
    Now maybe that’s due to the traumatic experience, but it still plays a role in credibility.
    there's also the factor of how much time had passed. of course details are going to get fuzzy. but that fact also plays into how accurate her take on the event was as well. however, many experts stated, I believe, that it's quite common for mundane details to be lost to time, but the event is burned in memory, which I could see. 

why would someone come forward and potentially ruin their lives for that, knowing full well it would amount to nothing?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    there's also the factor of how much time had passed. of course details are going to get fuzzy. but that fact also plays into how accurate her take on the event was as well. however, many experts stated, I believe, that it's quite common for mundane details to be lost to time, but the event is burned in memory, which I could see. 

why would someone come forward and potentially ruin their lives for that, knowing full well it would amount to nothing?
    If you’re suggestion the accounts get fuzzy over time so that the earlier accounts are more accurate, I believe the earlier timelines were when Kavanaugh wasn’t even in town anymore. They were later changed to match when he was in town. I don’t have time to double check that right now, but that was one of the things I remember being an issue.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:

If you’re suggestion the accounts get fuzzy over time so that the earlier accounts are more accurate, I believe the earlier timelines were when Kavanaugh wasn’t even in town anymore. They were later changed to match when he was in town. I don’t have time to double check that right now, but that was one of the things I remember being an issue.
    Are you sure you aren't confusing accusers?  There was an accuser that ended up admitting they lied.

Blasey-Ford took a polygraph and the result was "no deception"

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,184
    I'd like to know what makes a rape victim credible or not credible. 
    The more wealth, power or fame of the accused usually drives the credibility down for the victim when evidence is lacking. Sad, but true.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    GlowGirl said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    I grew up in Maryland. I did not know Kavanagh. However, do you remember his friend Mark Judge who was named as being the other guy involved in the incident. Well, I did know Mark during Jr. High and high school. He lived directly next door to my best friend and we used to all hang out for a while. From what I know about Mark and the way he used to be back then, especially around us girls, I totally believe that this happened. He and Kavanagh were apparently best friends at the time. Again, I never met Kavanagh and can’t speak to why it was not reported sooner. But I knew guys like that all through high school including Kavanagh’s best bud. Her story rings true to me. 
    You and I must have grown up in the same area.
    My sister went to Holton and was well acquainted with her and totally backed up her claims and remembers Kavanaugh and Strong and the rest of the "private boys school pricks" (her words).

He should not be on the Supreme Court and neither should the newest far right nominee.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    Kat said:
    I would be shocked if Barrett thinks and would rule that a black person is 3/5 a person.  

I take her views as that she rules based on the law as written and it is up to the legislature to pass laws if they don’t like the prior law as written or if clarification is needed.

I think it is good that there is a mix on the court between originalists and non-originalists.  Hopefully between the nine of them they get to the right conclusion.   People are concerned about personal beliefs but I would think personal beliefs would be much more likely to impact the decision of a judge who views laws as living documents that change based on the whims at the time.  
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,835
    GlowGirl said:
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    You and I must have grown up in the same area.
    My sister went to Holton and was well acquainted with her and totally backed up her claims and remembers Kavanaugh and Strong and the rest of the "private boys school pricks" (her words).

He should not be on the Supreme Court and neither should the newest far right nominee.
    Looks like we are from the same area. I grew up in Potomac. I had a friend that went to Holton, but I went to public school (Wootton). However, I know of some of those "private boys school pricks" of which your sister speaks.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:

Are you sure you aren't confusing accusers?  There was an accuser that ended up admitting they lied.

Ford definitely changed her story several times, including the year and location
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:

Ford definitely changed her story several times, including the year and location
    And she definitely took a polygraph with a "no deception" result.